Author Topic: [Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter  (Read 8265 times)

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
[Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
Hi guys,

So I finally got the USB LAN adapter for my Wii and I was trying to set it up tonight.
And I get something weird: I use an ethernet modem/router to connect to the Internet and I bought a Netgear fast ethernet switch so I could connect the Wii, the laptop and the desktop (which isn't working right now, HDD problems) to the Internet at the same time.
So I set everything up with network cables and the one going from the switch to the Wii doesn't seem to work. It's a cable I usually use for the laptop and it works fine with it.
With the Wii, the LED on the switch doesn't light up when I connect the cable (meaning there's no activity/connectivity going on). I get an error on the Wii when it is testing the connection (error 51420, which is supposedly the firewall but I tried disabling it and it didn't make any difference)
I'm puzzled, is it possible that the Wii LAN adapter only accepts ethernet standard OR crossover cables?? But not both??
I couldn't find any info on Nintendo's site about it.
So if anyone has any idea, I'm listening!
Thanks.

ps: I wasn't sure if I had to post this in the wi-fi forum or not?  
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: [Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:36:08 PM »
I've seen a lot of laptops that have ethernet ports which can sense the type of cable be used and adjust appropriately.  HP calls it "Auto-MDIX" I believe.  I'm 90% sure the Nintendo adapter doesn't do this.  Anyways, chances are your using a cross-over cable when you shouldn't be.  You may also be using a shared uplink port on the switch, which may have a manual toggle.  Try one of your other cables.  Look at the wiring of the cable your using (back side by the contacts)... does the order of colored wires on both ends match?

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:40:05 AM »
It looks like the colored wires don't match so I have a crossover cable I think.
The switch I'm using is the Netgear FS 605. I'm not sure what a shared uplink port is though.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 05:15:02 AM »
Ok, well I'm not sure what length all these cables are, so I'm not sure if what I'm about to suggest is physically possible for you.  From the documentation on your switch (found here) the port farthest the power connection is the "Uplink" port.  At least that port has the "Auto-MDIX" feature I was talking about earlier and judging by your problem, the others don't.

First solution is physically possible and easy.... basically if you plug the current cable going to the Wii into the uplink port you should get a link light.  Then try to plug in the cable from the router into one of the other ports and see if it lights up.  If not, that likely means the cable from the router is straight (you can check the colors like before to verify) and that it'd work for the Wii.  The goal then would be to swap the cables being used to connect the Wii and Router, and connect the Router back into the uplink port.

There is nothing special about the uplink port on a switch aside from the "Auto-MDIX" feature.  It does not have to be used to connect to your router.

Offline D00mM4r1n3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 05:18:36 PM »
I got the Datel Lan adaptor, and it didn't work at first either, giving the same error. I powered off the system, and turned it back on, and it worked well enough to download the initial system updates. After that I tried to go to the store and it started spitting out a new error. Added the DNS addresses for my ISP in the network settings, and afterwards the store worked just fine.

So, two things to try:
1.) Turn the Wii off then back on again
2.) Enter the DNS addresses for your ISP

The DNS addresses should be available from your ISP's website, and should also be visible in your router's information screen after logging into the router.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
The original problem description notes the lack of a link light.  No amout of changing Wii settings will fix that.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:18:42 AM »
Alrighty, everything works!!!!!
It turns out my modem/router wasn't set up as a router...oops.
The looong ethernet cable I have works fine with the Wii, it updated twice after the connection test and it runs fine (no bricked Wii, woohoo!).
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Bkid23

• View Profile
RE:[Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter [fixed!]
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
how did you switch it? I just bought the lan adaptor and it is blinking blue on the connection through the adaptor, but at the modem it isn't showing any ethernet cable connection. This is weird because when I first plugged it in, it said it was connected to the internet and was going to update. After updating, I clicked complete, and then it said it couldn't connect to the internet. I don't know whats going on? Help would be great, thanks!

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
RE: [Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter [fixed!]
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 12:20:44 AM »
Ok, I'm not sure I understand what you wrote there.
Is your modem in router mode? If so, any ethernet cable will work (crossover or not): just plug it on a free socket on your router and plug the other end on the Wii LAN adapter.
Turn on your Wii and go to the settings, select "internet" then choose "wired". The Wii will do a connection test, which should be successful.
The LED on your modem/router is only on when the Wii has booted.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

RE: [Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter [fixed!]
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
Another point of interest about the Wii internet connection, no matter if it's wired or wireless, is that after you update it always seems to reset to wireless connection 1.  My default wireless is my house and so when I'm at college and update, I have to reset it.  It's an odd bug in the OS.
Life is good

Offline JustinIngram

• View Profile
Re: [Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
Hi guys,

So I finally got the USB LAN adapter for my Wii and I was trying to set it up tonight.
And I get something weird: I use an ethernet modem/router to connect to the Internet and I bought a Netgear fast ethernet switch so I could connect the Wii, the laptop and the desktop (which isn't working right now, HDD problems) to the Internet at the same time.
So I set everything up with network cables and the one going from the switch to the Wii doesn't seem to work. It's a cable I usually use for the laptop and it works fine with it.
With the Wii, the led lights on the switch doesn't light up when I connect the cable (meaning there's no activity/connectivity going on). I get an error on the Wii when it is testing the connection (error 51420, which is supposedly the firewall but I tried disabling it and it didn't make any difference)
I'm puzzled, is it possible that the Wii LAN adapter only accepts ethernet standard OR crossover cables?? But not both??
I couldn't find any info on Nintendo's site about it.
So if anyone has any idea, I'm listening!
Thanks.

ps: I wasn't sure if I had to post this in the wi-fi forum or not?

Hello friend do you still make these LAN adapters? I know thread is old but I need one so if you can help please reply.. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:04:55 PM by JustinIngram »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: [Wii] Wired connection through USB LAN adapter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »
Hello friend do you still make these LAN adapters? I know thread is old but I need one so if you can help please reply.. Thanks

A quick search for "wii network adapter" at www.amazon.com brings up many options still available. Although getting an official Nintendo one might be best, you should be fine with any third-party LAN adapter too. (That's what I use, and it's never been a problem.)
NNID: ejamer