Author Topic: Rumor: Wii Mini Console  (Read 9190 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor: Wii Mini Console
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
Virtually no retailer will stock a download-only system at this point.

See: PSP Go.

iPod Touch, iPad, Kindle Fire, and the various Android devices say hi...
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
Retailers weren't reluctant to stock the PSPgo because it was download only, they didn't want it because it was a less desirable, more expensive version of something that was already not selling well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 11:04:26 PM »
Nintendo changed the hardware number for the unit - that makes it a redesign.

Under that logic though, the original PlayStation had at least 33 revisions:

Nintendo ≠ Sony.

Retailers weren't reluctant to stock the PSPgo because it was download only, they didn't want it because it was a less desirable, more expensive version of something that was already not selling well.

There were a couple of reasons why, but the download only model was a big one.

iPod Touch, iPad, Kindle Fire, and the various Android devices say hi...

Target and Walmart say "Hi."

I'm saying that a Download-only Wii simply will not happen anytime in the next year.  I bet a $20 eShop card on it.  Anyone want to take me up on that bet?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »

I'm saying that a Download-only Wii simply will not happen anytime in the next year.  I bet a $20 eShop card on it.  Anyone want to take me up on that bet?

I'd take a wager that a Download-only Wii will never happen.  No retail games were released digitally, so while there is a decent library of virtual console and Wii Ware games, would they abandon a disc drive when anyone goes into a Gamestop and still sees half the aisles dedicated to Wii discs?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »

I'd take a wager that a Download-only Wii will never happen.  No retail games were released digitally, so while there is a decent library of virtual console and Wii Ware games, would they abandon a disc drive when anyone goes into a Gamestop and still sees half the aisles dedicated to Wii discs?

I am still betting on something similar to the PS2 slim.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 04:16:10 AM »
The Wii the size of a slight bigger Apple TV would be dope.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
Shhh, don't give then ideas, I want a disc tray!
Lulz. +1

A disc tray has the same problem as a slot drive: an extra moving part, except a tray comes out of system which seems less sturdy. I wouldn't mind it being top loading like the Gamecube with that awesome and underrated disc eject button.
I'd bet on it being even smaller. Unlike PS2, the Wii has no controller ports and the SD card slot is much smaller than a PS2 memory card slot (plus there's 1 fewer slot).

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »
Shhh, don't give then ideas, I want a disc tray!
Lulz. +1

A disc tray has the same problem as a slot drive: an extra moving part, except a tray comes out of system which seems less sturdy. I wouldn't mind it being top loading like the Gamecube with that awesome and underrated disc eject button.
I'd bet on it being even smaller. Unlike PS2, the Wii has no controller ports and the SD card slot is much smaller than a PS2 memory card slot (plus there's 1 fewer slot).

I bet this new Wii slim will have a sliding disc cover similar to that of the PS3 slimmer.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
I'll take that bet. How much?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »
I have doubts this Wii Mini will even come out, it's unusual for Nintendo to not announce a re-design less than 2 weeks before releasing it. Even the DS Lite was announced like 5 weeks in advance.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
Oh, my mistake, I thought that the GameCube's one was called a disc tray. Yeah, I want what the GameCube had, my launch GameCube is still going strong. It really is a great piece of hardware...`

Offline HeyItsMe

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »
It will be the size of one dvd case  :P:

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
In regards to whether the Cubeless Wii counts as a revision, I would say it does entirely because ten years from now the distinction would matter to a retro videogame collector.  Getting the Cube backwards compatibility might be important to you so you would need to be aware of the two variations to avoid getting the wrong one.

A download-only Wii is a dumb idea for one simple reason: who is going to buy this?  Download-only seems more like a hardcore gamer thing and what hardcore gamer that is interested in the Wii doesn't already own one?  This isn't some SKU on a new system.  It's an old ass system that's borderline obsolete.  So Nintendo is going to go to the trouble to reconfigure the existing Wii store to accomodate this function for an obsolete system that the only demographic that would even care about this has long regarded as a joke?  How many of these would they sell?  Would it even be 100?

Now a download-only Wii U would make some sense because it is a current system and the store infrustracture is already in place.  Nintendo is even offering all of their retail titles as downloads.

Though I have to ask: what is the appeal of download only?  So if a game comes out ONLY in physical media you can't play it?  This is a GOOD thing?  I buy a Wii or a Wii U today and I can play EVERYTHING.  It doesn't matter if it's a disc or a download.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »
Looks like a few other gaming news outlets have picked up on this news, using NWR's article as the source.

NWR being the Nintendo sleuths!  Interested to see if this turns out being true.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
If the mini-Wii rumors are true then here are some of my predictions for the console:

• It will be thinner than the PS2 with slightly smaller dimensions (sans the memory and controller ports).
  • It will have a redesigned powercord and pord (similar to the PS2 slim).
  • The disc slot of the normal Wii will be replaced with a disc tray (similar to the PS2 slim).
  • The Disc slot will have a sliding cover activated by a button.
  • The console will have redesigned buttons and LEDs.
  • There will be no Gamecube controller or memory card ports.
  • The SD card slot will have a similar cover to that on the DSi or 3DS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
The DSi and 3DS have that specific SD Card slot cover so that the SD card doesn't accidentally eject in your pocket. It's a little tougher to open than the door on the Wii or Wii U. There's no need for one of those on a home console. If Nintendo does redesign the console, I'd expect the cover for the sync button and SD Card slot to feature the same out-of-the-way, sliding in-console design as the Wii U.

I don't know if Nintendo would switch back to a top loading design because the Wii has that ridiculous LED around the disc slot that tells when you've received WiiConnect24 things. I guess they could just put the light somewhere or preferably, make it less intrusive. If it was top loading, I'd expect it to pop up like the GameCube instead of that ridiculous sliding door that the new PS3 has. Why would Nintendo copy the worst design choice on the new PS3 of all things? And besides, with a design so small, the door would be hanging over the console itself making it flimsier and more prone to getting caught on things. Again, I'll take that bet if you really believe it.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »
The DSi and 3DS have that specific SD Card slot cover so that the SD card doesn't accidentally eject in your pocket. It's a little tougher to open than the door on the Wii or Wii U. There's no need for one of those on a home console. If Nintendo does redesign the console, I'd expect the cover for the sync button and SD Card slot to feature the same out-of-the-way, sliding in-console design as the Wii U.

I don't know if Nintendo would switch back to a top loading design because the Wii has that ridiculous LED around the disc slot that tells when you've received WiiConnect24 things. I guess they could just put the light somewhere or preferably, make it less intrusive. If it was top loading, I'd expect it to pop up like the GameCube instead of that ridiculous sliding door that the new PS3 has. Why would Nintendo copy the worst design choice on the new PS3 of all things? And besides, with a design so small, the door would be hanging over the console itself making it flimsier and more prone to getting caught on things. Again, I'll take that bet if you really believe it.

The only logical solution to making the Wii smaller is to change the disc slot to a tray. Perhaps Nintendo will put the disc tray in the middle of the console with a LED ring around it to illuminate when messages are avaialble on the system. In hindsight the sliding cover idea is a little silly, but how small can this thing get?

I will bet with you, but for no material gain.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
The only logical solution to making the Wii smaller is to change the disc slot to a tray.
Why?
In hindsight the sliding cover idea is a little silly, but how small can this thing get?
Very. Look up the Apple Superdrive. If Apple could make it thinner, they probably would. I'm not saying Nintendo would make go for something that thin; I'm just trying to give you an idea how small a USB slot drive can be. Take out the heatsink, shrink the semiconductor die etc. and they can make it incredibly small.
I will bet with you, but for no material gain.
You're no fun.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
Do you think that Nintendo will provide some kind of transfer application to allow Wii-to-Wii transfer of save data?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
Do you think that Nintendo will provide some kind of transfer application to allow Wii-to-Wii transfer of save data?

No
They didn't do it in the Wii's lifetime, including when they redesigned the Wii the first time. If this rumored second redesign happens (I don't think it will), I don't see why Nintendo would decide to do it now
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »
In regards to whether the Cubeless Wii counts as a revision, I would say it does entirely because ten years from now the distinction would matter to a retro videogame collector.  Getting the Cube backwards compatibility might be important to you so you would need to be aware of the two variations to avoid getting the wrong one.

A download-only Wii is a dumb idea for one simple reason: who is going to buy this?  Download-only seems more like a hardcore gamer thing and what hardcore gamer that is interested in the Wii doesn't already own one?  This isn't some SKU on a new system.  It's an old ass system that's borderline obsolete.  So Nintendo is going to go to the trouble to reconfigure the existing Wii store to accomodate this function for an obsolete system that the only demographic that would even care about this has long regarded as a joke?  How many of these would they sell?  Would it even be 100?

Now a download-only Wii U would make some sense because it is a current system and the store infrustracture is already in place.  Nintendo is even offering all of their retail titles as downloads.

Though I have to ask: what is the appeal of download only?  So if a game comes out ONLY in physical media you can't play it?  This is a GOOD thing?  I buy a Wii or a Wii U today and I can play EVERYTHING.  It doesn't matter if it's a disc or a download.

What the hell are you ranting on about? Hardcore gamers only download games? Tell that to all the people playing iOS and Android games.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931