Author Topic: Weird TV Mount question no one will know the answer to.  (Read 1844 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Weird TV Mount question no one will know the answer to.
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »
I bought my 37" flat panel TV in 2006-ish at Best Buy.  I got a wall mount that ran over $200 (the cheaper one didn't fit my TV).  The old TV weighs 58.4 lbs.

So, I got this new TV.  Bought a wall mount for it - was $130.  Says it fits 37"-84" TVs.

I had this brilliant idea - if I could use my old wall mount for the new TV, it would save me a LOT of time and trouble.

But I don't know the weight restriction on this old wall mount.  Though, to be honest, I'm picking up the TV tomorrow, so I don't even know if the mount will physically fit the new TV.

As far as the bracket in the wall goes, it'll hold.  When I first mounted it, I actually clung onto it and put my feet onto the wall, with the bracket holding my entire weight - which is quite a bit more than the 92.6 lbs the new TV weighs.  I'm just not sure if the half that mounts into the TV would hold.  I don't see why not, but... I'd be really sad if the TV fell off the wall.

So... any ideas?  I was thinking about calling the Best Buy I bought the TV at years ago, but I'm sure there's no way in heck they'll be able to look up the order... although, if I could just get the UPC, I could probably find it online...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Weird TV Mount question no one will know the answer to.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
You have the model # of the previous mount so we can look it up?
probably not since you are looking for the UPC code, but I thought it might be inscribed somewhere on there.

and $130 sounds like a lot for a mount. I remember my sister buying one for a 42+" HDTV and it only cost her $50

Also, how big of a new TV did you just get?
I just bought a 47" 3DTV myself

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
No model number handy.  I've already hung the 37" back up for now (picking up my new TV today), but I plan to check it out when I take this one back down.

Honestly, I'm probably going to have to remount a bracket anyway.  I was doing some measuring and such and I don't think I'd be happy with it if I left it in the current position.  We'll see.

I picked up a 65" LG 3D TV.  It's waaaay more TV than I need, but I figured the world is going to end in about a month anyway, so why not?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
If you had become a structural engineer like your parents wanted you to, you would know the answer to this question.

1. take a physical sample of the mount then run it through the lab to determine the metal compostion of the steel.
2. using advanced mathematical formulas, calculate the load bearing limits of the television mount, factoring in steel composition, structural integrity, and mounting surface.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
It should hold. That is a lot of money for a TV mount for it to fail. Where did you get it from? Is it so expensive because it pulls out and moves?

I'm currently hanging a 52" above my mantel with a wall mount that tilts up and down for $40 bucks.

I recommend mounting it and seeing if it'll hold. Simple as that. Yeah it'll take time, but you'll save money.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
That's way too much money for a wall mount. I got mine for $35 at Ross and it holds my 52" (about 75lbs) with ease. It's right in the drywall too (metal studs are horse ****), with 4 anchors each rated at 300lbs.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
For some reason wall mounts at retail stores cost 2 to 3 times more than the ones you can find online.

I'm fairly certain almost all wall mounts and flat panel TV's are set to the VESA standard.

Check your TV's model online to see if it has VESA mounting holes.

The fact that the mount says it fits up to 84inch TV's means it can take a lot of weight and its highly adjustable to the types of TV it can hold..

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
The new mount says it can hold 84" - I'm wondering about the old one (which I don't know the specs on).

Yes, I overpaid for the (newer) wall mount... but, in the back of my mind, when I spent this much on the TV, I just really want to be sure.  I likely overpaid for the older wall mount as well, but remember that was like six years ago.  I cried when I saw how much it would cost to replace my same-sized TV (with a better, newer model) in comparison to how much I paid years ago.  Basically, I got a 65" 1080 3D LED TV for a few hundred more than I paid for my 37" 720 LCD TV... :(