Author Topic: Sony Playstations: Are it Doomed?  (Read 11079 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Playstations: Are it Doomed?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
I haven't seen many people using the PSP, but apparently it sold over 70 million units LTD. It amazed me when I seen how much it had sold, and it still amazes me... I always viewed the PSP as a failure, but man... 70 million units is a LOT of hardware. In comparison, the Wii has sold 97 or so million units to date, and everyone views that as a huge success. How is it the Wii with 100 million sold is a huge success, but the PSP with 70 million is a failure?

I suppose it comes down to the software. The PSP sold a **** ton of hardware, but the tie-in ratio is no doubt ****.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
How many of those 70 million are in North America, though? The PSP was only really successful in Japan, thanks to their crazy obsession with Monster Hunter. That's the real problem for the Vita: the primary market for its predecessor wants nothing to do with it. I really hope things turn around soon and it starts seeing some successes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
I suppose it comes down to the software. The PSP sold a **** ton of hardware, but the tie-in ratio is no doubt ****.

Yup. Still, Sony deserves credit for being able to penetrate Nintendo's handheld market monopoly on an international level. However, the PSV was a big slap in the face for many gamers who like to purchase their games on UMD.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:59:40 AM by AnGer »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
Sony's PSP market penetration is a pyrrhic victory. While they have been the only contenter to have ever made any inroads against Nintendo's handheld, it hasn't had an true lasting effect. Unless there is a massive turnaround on a greater scale than the 3DS, the Vita is going to die on it's feet.

While Sony is in trouble, it still has one console generation left in it. The moment Sony revels it's hardware, we will know whether it has future or not. If they pull another insane custom job like the PS3 trying to tie in technologies from other divisions which have little utility in gaming for the gamer or the developer, its good bye.

MS is already receiving some backlash for it's lack of gamer focus and forced Kinect usage. My money is on Sony doing their upmost to delay PS4 unless the WiiU spooks them.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
While Sony is in trouble, it still has one console generation left in it. The moment Sony revels it's hardware, we will know whether it has future or not. If they pull another insane custom job like the PS3 trying to tie in technologies from other divisions which have little utility in gaming for the gamer or the developer, its good bye.

I don't think we have to worry about that with the PS4, as Kaz Hirai is now in charge of Sony and he has made it pretty clear that the PlayStation Division will no longer be carrying the water for Sony's other divisions.  Observe how Sony now never talks about 3D in PS3 games (a move made to prop up their 3D Television sales), despite them never shutting up about it for the previous 2-3 years.  While the PS4 will likely still be multipurpose, I expect it will be a lot like the Vita where those additional features will be modularized into App-like components you can optionally download or accessories you can optionally purchase, rather than have them all foisted on you.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »
If I were Sony I would build the PS4 around the concept of a virtual reality headset thing which you play with a power glove thing. That would in an instant make the Wii U and its tablet controller look stupid and primitive in comparison.
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
While that does reduce the risks some since he has increased power to fight off other divisions, his hand is all over the PS2 and the engineering travesty that was the emotion engine. He was lucky the software won out in the end where for Japanese software development found a natural home in the PS2 with the Xbox being outright rejected and the GC left in limbo. He was also extra lucky DVD took off as it did unlike Blueray which doesn't offer the same leap as VHS to DVD did and was far too soon.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
Sony's PSP market penetration is a pyrrhic victory. While they have been the only contenter to have ever made any inroads against Nintendo's handheld, it hasn't had an true lasting effect. Unless there is a massive turnaround on a greater scale than the 3DS, the Vita is going to die on it's feet.

MS is already receiving some backlash for it's lack of gamer focus and forced Kinect usage. My money is on Sony doing their upmost to delay PS4 unless the WiiU spooks them.

This sounds right to me. It might make more business sense to stick with the PS3 for an extra year or two; assuming the WiiU is not a huge leap above current gen, WiiU+PS3 could hold back the success of the Durango by keeping the target platform at a more modest spec level. And this would give Sony time to configure hardware that bests Microsoft's next console without being outrageously expensive, and to do what they do best: copy the most successful features of the WiiU and Durango.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
Still, the PSVita is probably doomed already (and always has been). I've never seen someone using one, ever, but everywhere I go there's someone (usually several) with a DSi or 3DS.
A friend of mine was planning to buy a Vita and was super excited about it.  Then he did more research and realized there are no games for the system in the genres he wanted.  So needless to say, he bought a 3DS instead and he likes to tell me about it all the time.