Author Topic: New NeoGeo X handheld console confirmed  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
New NeoGeo X handheld console confirmed
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-neogeo-x-handheld-console-confirmed/092838

I have always been fascinated by the Neo Geo series of consoles and handhelds, but sadly I have never been able to afford them. Unfortunately, that may be the case with this one as well, but even if I can't afford it its still nice to see the Neo Geo legacy live on and continue.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: New NeoGeo X handheld console confirmed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Well this thing's dead on arrival, but I wouldn't expect any less of NeoGeo. After all these years of these NeoGeo games being on the digital download plaforms and all the issues Nintendo and Sony have had selling handhelds, I'm sure this thing will just take off.  ::)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »
Are we sure this isn't an early April Fools joke?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Unless this also runs Android and includes modern hardware, it's 10 times too expensive, and even then, too expensive.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
Now there's a Commodore Amiga for 2495 US DOLLARS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
Unless this also runs Android and includes modern hardware, it's 10 times too expensive, and even then, too expensive.

Well, it wouldn't be a NeoGeo product if it wasn't prohibitively expensive and didn't cater to an extremely niche market.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

Well, it wouldn't be a NeoGeo product if it wasn't prohibitively expensive and didn't cater to an extremely niche market.

Was the NeoGeo products prohibitively expensive because the market was niche, or was the market niche because it was prohibitively expensive? Its like the chicken and the egg.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
The Neo Geo is something I would be very interested in if I was rich.  But my interest is in the arcade hardware and home console.  The only connection to the Neo Geo here is that it has the same games.  But I don't need Neo Geo hardware to play these games.  They're on the VC and there are tons of retro collections for the Wii and PS2.  If I want to legally play arcade perfect Samurai Shodown, I can do so easily.  Any interest I have is from a classic gaming perspective in which case playing the original games on the original hardware is the appeal.  Playing Neo Geo roms does not require me to buy this and since it doesn't play the original cartridges or CDs, it doesn't stand out.

Had SNK sat on the Neo Geo library up to this point then it would have made more sense.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
If this was like $50 or $60, I would pick it up. For $793 (the US conversion of 500 pounds), not a chance.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
$793 is a huge sum, and I'm not saying its worth it, but compared to what it would have cost back in the day to buy the Neo Geo console and all of these games it could be considered a bargain. The console alone was like $600 or $700 iirc, and the game carts were like $100 or more a piece.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
Worse, the games were $200 each (a bargain compared to buying the arcade cabinets, but still pricey). Back in 1993 this would have been a great deal. No doubt about that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »
One thing I am curious about in this handheld is there is an SD card slot. That means there has to be more to it than just the pre-loaded games.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
$793 is a huge sum, and I'm not saying its worth it, but compared to what it would have cost back in the day to buy the Neo Geo console and all of these games it could be considered a bargain. The console alone was like $600 or $700 iirc, and the game carts were like $100 or more a piece.
Worse, the games were $200 each (a bargain compared to buying the arcade cabinets, but still pricey). Back in 1993 this would have been a great deal. No doubt about that.

It's too bad we aren't in 1993 anymore, huh Dorothy!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:10:19 AM »
From what I heard, the price isn't that expensive.  On the page comments were made that the price is not accurate at all, and it is much cheaper.  I think if they could make something like this for $100.00...and it came with a few more games, or at least mention about future games coming out I would be interested. 

As it is...the games that are on the system preloaded are not interesting to me. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

You can buy a PS2 for like $100 and then get collections for Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Metal Slug, etc. for like $10 each.  The Wii also has numerous Neo Geo collections and Neo Geo games on the VC.  A brand new Wii costs about $150, Neo Geo VC releases cost $9 each and there are 31 or them so that's $279.  So that's $429 and that leaves a lot left over to get stuff like Metal Slug Anthology and a CC Pro for the Wii.  You could spend about $500 and get every Neo Geo title playable on the Wii.  Or you can spend $300 more to get this with the only real advantage being that it is portable.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »
Or you could use the PC that you already have to emulate them all in pixel-perfect clarity.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality