Author Topic: Game Overload  (Read 4549 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Game Overload
« on: October 22, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Is anyone else having a bit of Game Overload here?
Still have a few levels in Kirby Mass Attack to finish up.
Still have a bit of Four Swords to play...
Skylanders for the DS and Wii to play though (about 3/5ths done with the DS version, haven't cracked the Wii Version yet).
New Professor Layton (Never thought I'd see the day I was playing a different game on Layton release day...).
Kirby Wii coming out...
Skyward Sword...
Super Mario 3D Land...
Mario Kart 7...
Hell, I bought Tetris Axis and it's not even on my radar for being played any time soon.

Being an adult sucks.  You have to have a job so you can buy games, but you don't have time to play them because you have a job.  This must have been what Sydney Porter was talking about.  Gonna have to have my wife put chops on for dinner when she gets home.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:47:29 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Game Overload
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
As of late I've actually had a backlog that's a bit more dated. 

I find it much more fruitful to implement a bit of a lead time before I purchase games, because with my limited amount of free time, by the time I would get around to playing a brand new game, it'll be on the shelves for $10-$30 cheaper.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
Nope. I've steadily moved from title to title this season. I don't expect it to change much. A few hours every day is pretty easy to fit in, especially if you don't waste it on passive entertainment like television. Why just in the last month or two, I've went through...

Dead Island
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Rage

Next up? I guess once they're released...
    Batman: Arkham City
    Serious Sam 3
    Torchlight 2
    Skyrim
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:01 AM »
Is anyone else having a bit of Game Overload here?
Still have a few levels in Kirby Mass Attack to finish up.
Still have a bit of Four Swords to play...
Skylanders for the DS and Wii to play though (about 3/5ths done with the DS version, haven't cracked the Wii Version yet).
New Professor Layton (Never thought I'd see the day I was playing a different game on Layton release day...).
Kirby Wii coming out...
Skyward Sword...
Super Mario 3D Land...
Mario Kart 7...
Hell, I bought Tetris Axis and it's not even on my radar for being played any time soon.

Being an adult sucks.  You have to have a job so you can buy games, but you don't have time to play them because you have a job.  This must have been what Sydney Porter was talking about.  Gonna have to have my wife put chops on for dinner when she gets home.
Do you have kids, Uncle Bob?  Do you plan to?  The backlog definitely gets much worse after that...at least until they get old enough to play games with you. :)

I have a backlog that consists of games that I got for Christmas a few years ago and have never gotten around to playing.  Sadly this list includes Wario Land Shake It and Little King's Story.  Having just acquired Xenoblade and with Skyward Sword around the corner, I don't see that changing any time soon.

I'm currently working my way through Arkham Asylum 2 years late (I bought it during a sale on Steam in July), and I like it so much, I decided to spring for the Steam discount on Arkham City. 

I'm also looking forward to playing the new Layton game, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, etc.  At least having too many games is a good problem to have..
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:20:43 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:03 AM »
Sadly, no. There is no game overload lately... although having very few games released this year has been a great chance to clear out a large portion of the backlog I had built up and to tackle some "new to me" RPGs like Dragon Quest IX.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

Well you could try to cram as much games in as you could, but you'll get burnt out and will probably just quit gaming if only temporarly. A better way to do this is to just play the games that you want the most and take your time with it and put the rest on a backlog. then just play through your backlog even after the next generation comes along. protip: don't buy the next game in the backlog until you're done with the one you're currently playing so you dont feel like you have to rush thorugh it. By the time you're done your backlog the next gen consoles will have already had a pricedrop and you didn't have to go thorugh the painful release window drought every console gets.

That's basically what I started doing and after seeing all the 3DS drama unfold I already feel like it payed off. I still havent finished my DS backlog and my Wii backlog will see me through the games drought This way of doing backlogs saves you money on the games/consoles since they would have been out for awhile and makes you get the most out of the consoles you already have by letting you play all the best games that console has to offer.

also this site is really awesome for managing backlogs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:59:26 PM by Lithium »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
No but I tend to ignore games I don't have right in front of me, i.e. on my PC or my two multipurpose pocket devices (iPod Touch, Android phone). I barely even poked Ghost Trick so far but since the 3DS is in my backpack I don't feel any desire to play it. Same for console games, after the initial rush of playing them is over I tend to forget about them unless they really grab me (which not many manage, Xenoblade was the last one that did).

So instead I poke at the games that show up in my games selectors, i.e. my Steam list and on the two pocket thingies. I played 12 hours of The Binding of Isaac over the past weeks while Gears 3 gets ignored (and when I play it I usually get pissed off by some cheap death and quit playing again).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
I know the feeling. This year has been especially bad, with not much worthwhile released and then a flood of releases around the holidays. I don't like it when everyone front loads the end of the year with titles, but it must not hurt sales because it keeps happening.

I'm trying to even think of games released this year that I bought... there's just been so much to catch up on that it usually isn't worth buying games on release since I likely won't play them until they're cheaper. The new Zelda will probably be it, everything else I'll wait for a sale because I won't be playing it soon. While typing this, I just thought of a couple titles I got that were released early this year like Lost in Shadow, de Blob 2, and TrackMania, and I've still barely touched them.

Oh well, the good thing about all this is that it makes it means I'll save some money by buying games later on sale.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:03:04 AM »
I'm always working on a backlog. Part of the problem is I rarely buy games new because if I wait, there are usually many ways to get them at least half off if not more in the future. But when games do finally hit that lower price point, you often have to seize on it right away or the stock is gone and it can take a long time to find again. So, I can go some months not buying anything and then suddenly have a month where I've bought 8 games. I've got a lot of games that go back to past generations. For instance, I recently bought a copy of Luigi's Mansion for Gamecube but have yet to play it and have never played it before. That's a 10 year old game.

It's a shame to because I'll often avoid discussions of a game if I haven't played it but intend to buy it at a later date to not spoil anything. By the time I do play it, the discussion is long over and I never feel like bumping the old topic. So, I do miss that discussion aspect. Oh well. There's always a trade-off and I'll take being able to afford a backlog then a small collection.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »
It's a shame to because I'll often avoid discussions of a game if I haven't played it but intend to buy it at a later date to not spoil anything. By the time I do play it, the discussion is long over and I never feel like bumping the old topic. So, I do miss that discussion aspect. Oh well. There's always a trade-off and I'll take being able to afford a backlog then a small collection.
I bought Portal 2 instead of waiting for the exact reason of wanting to be part of the discussion.  Same for the 3DS, Same for SS, SM3L, MK7 Probably, Skylanders Sort of, etc.  I put a lot of value on being able to discuss different things so, I can justify the cost.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »
I'm always working on a backlog. Part of the problem is I rarely buy games new because if I wait, there are usually many ways to get them at least half off if not more in the future. But when games do finally hit that lower price point, you often have to seize on it right away or the stock is gone and it can take a long time to find again.
Pretty much everything you said is true of me, but this one is especially. I'm always on the lookout for sales, and if I see a price that I think I'm unlikely to find again, I buy the game even if I know I won't play it right away. This also means I sometimes can't buy new releases because I've just spent my entertainment money on a few discounted games.

The good part of this though, is that I don't have to rely on new games to come out every month that interest me. So when there is a year like the current year, where there isn't much that suits my tastes, I still have some new games to play that I've bought previously.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »
I think I am a rare breed.

I buy games usually on sale, but new, with every intent on playing them...
but then no actual desire to ever actually turn on the Wii and play them.

A few games might get opened and the first level or 2 gets a play through, and then they are likely to never be picked up by me again. Others have yet to actually leave the case (opened for the ClubN code), yet there are a few that will not get put down till I've gotten my money's worth or played all the way through (usually new games bought at release).

I'm sure I own atleast 40 Wii games and have maybe finished 5-6 of them.
there are probably another 7 or so that I have gotten decent play time out and most of the rest have not had more than 20-30 minutes of play time out of me if they've gotten any at all.

A majority of my games I push on friends and their kids so that they always have something to play.

Latest purchase was Go Vacation though.
I have more than 10 keys and only have a few more event badges to get to open up my Villa.
Not a bad pick up and play game or even a great time waster. Also fun in multi-player too.

Lucky for me though Z:SS comes in a few weeks, and I expect that game to take up all my free time till completion.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »
Some people are pressed for time but it is kinda strange for you to only finished 5-6 games--that's one title per/year.  Considering how active you are on the forums I always figured you as a diehard gamer.

Hell I'm about 35+ beaten on the WII myself and I consider it barely used :0.  There's a couple of core games I need to finish like Metroid Another M and the new Kirby but for the most part I'm up to date on it.

At least you'll nice enough to regift the games, to bad you can't do that with PC games anymore--I hate DRMs.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
Let me see... what have I beaten on the Wii;

Kirby's Epic Yarn
NSMBWii
SMG
PunchOut
TvC
Dead Space
HotD: Overkill
A Boy and his Blob
Rabbids Go Home
Smash Bros.
Zach & Wiki

That's just the games that are in the box I had to go get because I couldn't remember what games I had.

Games I've gotten decently far in but quit playing for some reason or another (most likely because I got a new game);
Twilight Princess
TW: PGA '10
Fire Emblem (I think I was at the end, always meant to finish this one)
RE: Umbrella
Mario Kart
SMG2
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sin & Punishment
Excitebots
DKCR
WiiFit/+ (can't really beat this one)
WiiPlay ("")
Go Vacation
Wario Ware SM (might've beaten this one. can't remember)
WiiSports/Resort ("")
No More Heroes

Games I've barely played, opened only for the registration code, or likely bought for someone else to play:
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Conduit
Silent Hill
FF: CC
Manhunt 2
Red Steel
Metroid OM
Cursed Mountain
MadWorld
RE4 (beat the GC version twice)
Epic Mickey
NBA Jam
EA Sports Active/More Workouts
Just Dance/2
Grand Slam Tennis
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
WiiPlay+
MJ The Experience
Disney Sing-it (2 or 3 different Versions I think)

Those are all the games I can think of since I don't have all of them here. But I'm sure that's most of them.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Must be nice to be rich enough to buy video games just for the Club Nintendo codes. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Usually at a deep discount like $10 - $15

But yeah, it is nice
U jelly? trollface.jpg

J/k i'm broke right now... Which sux because Black Friday is right around the corner.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:35:23 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »
Must be nice to be rich enough to buy video games just for the Club Nintendo codes. :P

**looks at his three copies of Master of Illusion**

**looks away in shame**
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
I'm looking at all the games I own and I really haven't beaten to many of them.  A lot I've played till I've gotten bored or were distracted by another game and when I got back to them it was to long for me to get the mechanics from where I was at but, the first part I knew what happened and wasn't interesting anymore.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.