Author Topic: Is Braid really worth $15  (Read 4765 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Is Braid really worth $15
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »
Recently it released a demo for mac, so I finally got around to trying it.
It's a pretty cool little puzzle / platformer game with great graphics. $15 doesn't sound like much but right now I don't have a job or money coming in, so this wold be going on credit card (which I just paid min balance with my last check before summer )

so is it really worth it ? Will I get my money's worth or will I regret it because I'll beat it in an 2 hours ?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Is Braid really worth $15
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »
Not worth it from the demo I played.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »
No, the creator is a pretentious prick.  Don't give him a dime.  That money would be better spent on Geo Wars 2, TMNT Arcade, Pac Man CE, Banjo-Kazooie ,Portal: Still Alive , Castle Crashers , Bionic Commando: Rearmed , Ikaruga, Lumines Live, or even Duke Nukem 3D.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Recently it released a demo for mac, so I finally got around to trying it.
It's a pretty cool little puzzle / platformer game with great graphics. $15 doesn't sound like much but right now I don't have a job or money coming in, so this wold be going on credit card (which I just paid min balance with my last check before summer )

so is it really worth it ? Will I get my money's worth or will I regret it because I'll beat it in an 2 hours ?

Your not gonna beat it in 2 hours I guarantee it. Prepare for some tough puzzles also. If thats not your thing don't do it.  However, there are those out there that are really enchanted by the game and they obviously see value in it.  Maybe you could harness some of that.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:10:59 AM »
Yes. Go buy Braid. It's awesome.

No, the creator is a pretentious prick.  Don't give him a dime.  That money would be better spent on Geo Wars 2, TMNT Arcade, Pac Man CE, Banjo-Kazooie ,Portal: Still Alive , Castle Crashers , Bionic Commando: Rearmed , Ikaruga, Lumines Live, or even Duke Nukem 3D.

No, the guy who wrote that is a pretentious prick. Also the only game you listed that's better than Braid is Ikaruga.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:39:07 AM »
Yes. Go buy Braid. It's awesome.

No, the guy who wrote that is a pretentious prick. Also the only game you listed that's better than Braid is Ikaruga.

Incorrect.  Geometry Wars 2 is the best game on the 360.  No contest.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 04:44:13 AM »

He said Mac, not 360. That being said, Plants vs Zombies is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Braid.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:11:19 AM »
What's the worth of anything?  It depends on how much money you have and what else you want to buy.  If you have a gold toilet, yeah--Braid's probably worth $15.  If you live under a viaduct, probably not.

Personally, I'm waiting for a sale on Steam before I buy it.  I have more than enough to keep me busy right now, and eventually they'll get around to putting the game up for the weekend deal so I'll be able to nab it for under $10.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »
hmm I was leaning toward buying it, but 2 hours seems tiny for $15.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
What makes you think you can beat it in 2 hours?

Your not gonna beat it in 2 hours I guarantee it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »

whats the average amount of hours it takes to beat ??
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:07:47 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
Well, I obviously haven't played it yet, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Personally, I'm waiting for a sale on Steam before I buy it.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
I've put probably 3-4 hours into it, and I'm only like maybe 60-70% through it.   Some of the puzzles are very very tricky, and I got to a point where I was completely stuck and haven't gone back for awhile.

It's a gorgeous, creative game.  If you like puzzles, and are at all in the mood for something just a little bit esoteric, you'll like it.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »

whats the average amount of hours it takes to beat ??

Well that all depends. You can be stuck on 1 or 2 puzzles for up to an hour or two by themselves. So people's times vary. My one friend beat it pretty fast on his own on his first try in 8 hours.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
I'm not sure how long it took me but I really think that 15$ is a bit high for what it is if you're short on money, if you really need a game go for Plants vs Zombies, I probably threw 40 hours at it by now.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
No, but not because you don't get your money's worth in gametime.  The game is fairly long for a downloadable game if you aren't a time puzzle genius, as I put in about 4-5 hours before beating it.  I only beat it that quickly because I had to use a FAQ to get probably about 1/4 of the puzzle pieces (this game has some REALLY tricky puzzles, particularly in the world where time flows backwards and the world where you can slow time in a bubble with your ring), because I wasn't in the mood to just stand and watch the game for hours to figure out what the game wanted me to do.  My problem with the game is that I don't think it's very good and a bit too clever for its own good.  The "true" story's also a pretentious and nonsensical mess.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:26:36 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
Hell no it's not worth $15. I got the game for free (I won as part of the Spike Video Game Awards contest back in November) and I still feel ripped off. The game is OK, but nowhere near as good as many people claim it is. The game is worth MAYBE $5. $10 would be pushing it and $15 is way too high. There are far better download games you can get for $15.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »
Now I hate using my keyboard for controls. I am not used to it and frankly I don't want to get used to it. I am very used to using left hand to move with control pad, but using right hand just feels off to me.

Anyway to get this game to work on my mac using Wiimote ? I tried that darwiin program but it doesn't change the controls in that game.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 10:18:26 PM »
Just buy a cheap doulshock copy for the mac.  i think I got mine for 10 bux or so.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
Personally, I'm waiting for a sale on Steam before I buy it.  I have more than enough to keep me busy right now, and eventually they'll get around to putting the game up for the weekend deal so I'll be able to nab it for under $10.

Hey youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Braid's on sale via Steam for $4.99

This deal ends Sunday, so if you're interested, don't dilly-dally.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:09:26 PM by vudu »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »

Hey youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Braid's on sale via Steam for $4.99

This deal ends Sunday, so if you're interested, don't dilly-dally.

Yeah.  Saw that on Joystiq today.  Even though the creator is a bit of a prick, I think I'll buy it just to see what all the fuss is about.