Author Topic: LocoRoco  (Read 2500 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
LocoRoco
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:17 AM »
Couldn't find a topic in regards to this game, well anyway I got it for my PSP. Before I begin I am trying to get all the good "unique" games for PSP, ones that aren't multiplatform or are spin-offs like the GTA games. Luckily there aren't a ton that interest me (Makes me appreciate the DS) but there are still a few gems on PSP and one of those games is Locoroco.

Have any of you guys played it? It is so much fun and quite innovative, it is the kind of game I would have expected to be on DS or Wii. I hate to say it but that cute music is so catchy with the singing little blob people, I can't help but smile and melt when those little guys are singing. The music overall is great if enjoy more cheerful (and weird) music.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: LocoRoco
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:48:13 AM »
This is one of those games that I got off of recommendations and...well...absolutely despised it...

Don't know why, but I just found it zero fun and the music annoyed me... ='D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
I hate to pimp my site not really but I wrote up a blurb on this game already. :)

http://palehour.com/index.php?PBPost=88

I really really liked it as well.  It's very clever and charming and the engine is entertaining.  I wish it had a more full fledged level editor instead of the relatively lame loco house mode though.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »
Just picked this one up today. It is everything I hoped it to be. It appeals to me for the same reasons Katamari Damacy appeals to me. I get to collect things in a fun manner and I can strive to find secrets and obtain high scores. I will no doubt be playing this one for a while.

Another PSP title I recently picked up and love is Patapon. Both are great unique and fun games and alone make the PSP worth owning.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:58 PM »
I bought LocoRoco Cocoreccho for PS3. It's like Pikmin, but in 2D. It's not any easy game. It's very cheery, and colourful. I like it.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 01:46:33 AM »
I hate cocorecho because you can't freaking save.  Who has 3 hours straight to dedicate to that game in order to try and totally beat it?  Eesh.

Otherwise it's a lot of fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to the PSP game.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »
lolwut? Can't save?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:51:19 PM »
LocoRoco and Patapon are both really, really good games.  Unfortunately they're on the Siberia of platforms.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »
lolwut? Can't save?
Yeah, you can't save for some reason.  At first you think that's fine, as an initial play through takes only about 25 minutes. (It was advertised as a PS3 Screensaver/Minigame after all.)  But then you start to realize how much there is in the game if you take the time to maximize the amount of loco roccos you find.

I actually tried to finish it all once.  Spent 2.5 hours straight.  Was getting near the end... and then I died.  You can FREAKING die too!  And it has nothing to do with losing all of your little guys.  There's just an arbitrary number you aren't allowed to lose.

So literally, I could have kept going, but because I hit this arbitrary number it just dumped me back to the title screen.  I was SOOOO pissed.
---------------------

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
Negative facts about the game that I didn't know. Thanks Pale. I noticed the lack of save, but I had yet to pass the first level, so I thought that it would save upon completion of each level. Are there more levels, or is it just one giant level altogether?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
It's one big level, but you gain the ability to take different paths that unlock different parts of the one big level.

My guesstimate is that it would take around 3 hours to beat the game having accessed every possible area, whereas it only takes about 20 minutes to beat it in the fastest possible way.
---------------------