Author Topic: Controller Timeline  (Read 13399 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Controller Timeline
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »
I swear, sometimes I really wish they'd just chop off the left prong of the N64 controller and sell that. *sigh* perfection...
Funny how everyone above you praising the N64 controller were complimenting it for it's flexibility and your idea of perfection is to remove that flexibility.

Did anyone here seriously use the D-pad? I only EVER used it for New Tetris.

Maybe I just don't play enough 2D fighters?

I only used it for tetris and maybe one or 2 fighters i had on the system actually. Well, thats all i can think of. i have to look thru my collectino to see if anything else used the d-pad
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
The whole clicking stick thing is called L3 are R3 on PS and something like LB and RB on 360.

LB and RB are the left and right bumpers up on the shoulder. 360 calls the analog stick button LS and RS I'm pretty sure.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »
The whole clicking stick thing is called L3 are R3 on PS and something like LB and RB on 360.

LB and RB are the left and right bumpers up on the shoulder. 360 calls the analog stick button LS and RS I'm pretty sure.

i must be a non/casual gamer cuz thats confusing me
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
S = Stick? Maybe?

FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 10:35:11 PM »
i figured as much, but if someone was guiding me thru a game for the first time and said "OMG use X to launch a grenade, wait hit LS to duck, now hit R to jump and press me to unleash omega attack!" i'd shove the controller thru his face

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »
It's:

Left Stick Button;

Right Stick Button.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 01:04:24 PM »
I swear, sometimes I really wish they'd just chop off the left prong of the N64 controller and sell that. *sigh* perfection...

I don't really like four shoulder buttons much at all.  Eight buttons is a good amount and I prefer six face buttons like the N64 and Saturn had.  But if I had to design a good universal controller I think four shoulder buttons is a must because of how popular the Playstation brand has been and how many gamers are familiar with that and how many games have been designed that use that.  But I would also include six face buttons.  Ten buttons might sound like overkill but why not allow that flexibility?  Any old game present in a VC like service would work and a game designer can choose to use as many or as little of the buttons as they want.

So I would have:
Six digital face buttons: A,B,C on the bottom; X,Y,Z on the top
Four triggers: L1 and R1 are digital, L2 and R2 are analog like the Cube triggers
Two analog sticks in the position of the dual-shock, both sticks can also "click"
SNES style d-pad in the primary postion - I've thought a lot about putting the analog stick in the primary position but I've realized that d-pads are really hard to use off-center and analog sticks aren't.
Rumble
Start and Select buttons

This would work with pretty much every console except Intellivision, Colecovision, DS and Wii.  I think a good universal console would also have a mouse and keyboard though which could help and who says the Wiimote couldn't be a secondary controller like a joystick, lightgun, trackball, flight stick, etc?  PS2 games that actually use the analog range of the face buttons wouldn't work perfectly but how many games actually use that?  I think having hard responsive digital face buttons would work better.

Heres the funny thing Ian, I do agree that 4 shoulder buttons in the position suck (360 and PS3) but I sort of like how the classic controller does 4 shoulder buttons L and zL on the left side R and zR on the right side and its not far apart that you need to overextend your pointer fingers in order to press the zL or zR buttons.

But I do agree that I miss 6 face buttons however the last console to do that Xbox1 that had 6 face button screwed it up big time. So I dont miss it anymore.

Also that controller will work on Wii because just release it as an extension controller ALA Nunchuk or Classic Controller ;).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:07:44 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 06:34:04 AM »
right now as far as traditional controllers go the xbox 360 one is good, if they could modify it to have 6 face buttons n64 style it would be perfect, and the n64 dpad, oh and **** the second joystic....ad a gyro and its totally unnecessary.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:47:28 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
right now as far as traditional controllers go the xbox 360 one is good, if they could modify it to have 6 face buttons n64 style it would be perfect, and the n64 dpad, oh and **** the second joystic....ad a gyro and its totally unnecessary.

Nice.....that one just BARELY edges out this masterpiece....

Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
If only Sega or ASCII released a Saturn controller for the Wii just like how they did for the PS2 in Japan.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.