Author Topic: New Smash Bros. Story Details Revealed  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
New Smash Bros. Story Details Revealed
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »
Today's update sheds some new light on the game's adventure mode.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14254

Though we know a bit about Super Smash Bros. Adventure Mode, The Subspace Emissary, it's still unclear exactly who the antagonists are, and what their motives might be. Today's update gives us a couple of answers, though.    

The Subspace Army (the strange, rag-doll looking creatures from an earlier update) is led by the the Ancient Minister who, with the aid of Robot Operating Buddy units (yes, the same R.O.B.s that were bundled with the NES and appeared in Mario Kart DS), is setting off bombs in the world that transform the engulfed area into subspace. This achieves a goal that is currently unknown.    

In an accompanying trailer, Mario is shown to try to stop the bomb from going off. Unfortunately, a sphere knocks him out of the arena before he's able to reach it. Kirby looks around to survey the scene, but all he finds are Princess Peach and Zelda, previously there to help, captured in cages by a Piranha Plant. Left alone, the update is closed with Sakurai noting, "This is a new, never-before-seen form of aggression...but now is no time to stop and stare. Everyone, everywhere, is beginning to move against it."

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: New Smash Bros. Story Details Revealed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:07:59 PM »
Well this just goes up to show that ROBs are inherently evil and looking to take over the world. So any one that has one should lock the evil thing up lest they find themselves floating in subspace.

On a serious side this shows that the single player part is going to be better and more coherenent then the last one. Also it helps explain how they are going to explain the 3rd party characters in the game. (Hopefully this can also set up for other Mascot games in this vein..)

Oh does any one have a way to combine the two movies (I'll try the Microsoft solution in a bit) because it will be nice to watch what looks like the  begining FMV for the single player level in a more complete form. (Maybe they will have something on it at GC)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:New Smash Bros. Story Details Revealed
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
Dude, Mario got OWNED!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline CessationCicero

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
This does sound a bit like the general storyline of Kingdom Hearts, does it not?  

Offline CessationCicero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:21 PM »

Offline CessationCicero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »

Offline CessationCicero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:32 PM »

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:47:23 AM »
Quadruple post... "A NEW Record!"

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:58:57 AM »
shecky, your icon looks like a pickles shriveled sack.

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:19:03 AM »
Interesting tidbits! ROB is now evil. Hope that there is more to the story than fighting space aliens and helping friends out.
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline CessationCicero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:48:14 AM »
Thank you, thank you.

I would like to dedicate this win to Apollo, the sun deity without whom none of this would be possible. I would also like to thank from the bottom of my heart the Pepsico corporation and C&C Music Factory. You have all enriched my life and made this quadruple post possible. We did it, baby. We did it!  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:17 AM »
Does this make Petey Piranha playable?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline bubicus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 04:51:13 AM »
We now have proof that Petey Piranha is a more cunning villain than Bowser and Ganon combined. In the trailer, he snagged both Zelda and Peach and then turned them into jelly with one blow. There's no way they could have survived that collision. (Well, maybe in fantasy physics...)
-----------------------------------------------------
Someday, I'll resurrect bubblebobble.com/bubandbob.com...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:39:40 AM »
That cage slam probably only gave them concussions though I do like your jelly idea. As for the cunning villain quip: Not so fast! He has to keep them and beat the heroes first. As demonstrated again here, it is no hard feat to capture the two princesses. Keeping them beyond 30 or so game hours is another thing entirely.
Lastly, go Kirby! Save the girls!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 06:35:40 AM »
'Bout time Kirby got some princess-saving action.

And yes, with the obnoxious obsession Nintendo has shown for Petey Piranha, I kinda figured he'd wind up in Brawl as playable. At least he looks more angry and badass in this video as opposed to just looking freaky, like he normally looks.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 11:16:59 AM »

Originally posted by: CessationCicero
This does sound a bit like the general storyline of Kingdom Hearts, does it not?

Super Paper Mario sounded a bit like Kingdom Hearts, storywise. This is... less similar.

Still, more R.O.B. love. I wonder if they'll start selling them again? Maybe for Gyromite on VC? Heh.  

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »
I guess you had to expect this sort of thing eventually if you stuck two princess who have made careers out of being kidnapped in the same universe.

And I think that was a cannon that knocked Mario out of the arena.  

And where did the robs come from, anyway?  They just sort of appear out of thin air behind the bomb.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
Clearly, they're kidnapping all the princesses, hoping to find the princess that holds the missing meteorite piece, to merge the dimensions.  

Offline CessationCicero

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 05:35:41 AM »
Clearly.

I just hope that they had forethought enough to make Winnie the Pooh playable.