Author Topic: What would you do if you found out your diploma?  (Read 4046 times)

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
What would you do if you found out your diploma?
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:52:06 PM »
"Special"? I had the unfortunate news broke to me today via community college, that my Diploma was a Special Diploma, which means I'm not eligible for College credit certificate courses and finical aid. Why? Oh because Special diploma mean, it's basically a pretty piece of paper that bares no real meaning, serves no purpose.

I've graduated assuming what was given was a genuine diploma, no where did it mentioned on the diploma that it was different from any other. No one at school told me it was special, or that this would be the outcome of it.  I find out that my mom only had me put in ese classes, is that the school desired it, and they've informed her that the program would end up with a special diploma which would equate to a standard diploma. Unfortunately the college informs me otherwise.

So pretty much the school lied and left me feeling betrayed and lied to.

Now I have to get a GED if I want to get into college courses.... WTF!? After going through all that to graduate only to find out that it all was a scam.

Maybe you guys can tell me something, as I'm very upset at this ordeal. All this time, I thought I had a norm diploma.

Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: What would you do if you found out your diploma?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 04:59:57 PM »
I see you are from Florida.  I am too, and I was under the impression that so long as you graduated from High School, no matter what, you had be allowed into a community college.  If I were you, I'd make a meeting with someone along the lines of the area's superintendent or even a lawyer, as I don't think that what is going on sounds legal.  Did you take and pass the FCAT?

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:38:18 PM »
no, the Fcat was never given. Apparently it wasn't required for this program.  

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:41:34 PM »
The school, advised my mother to put me in these programs due to being assaulted by other students for being different.. I was born premature so I had difficulties learning, despite that, my scores are rather advance in comparison to other students. I see the school system is as flawed as ever. I'm burnt, that they sat there and lied to my mother, who was assured that this Diploma would be no different than a Standard. God bless her soul, I wished she was still alive today

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »
how old are you now Mystic Gohan?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:What would you do if you found out your diploma?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:03:15 PM »
I hear getting a GED isn't that hard at all. Do that and make sure you've done SAT and/or ACT tests if you haven't already. Then it's college application time!

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:34:40 PM »
I'm currently 27. Yeah Super, so I hear, but I feel I'm getting a watered down Diploma when I should of had the real thing. What was the point of graduating if they were gonna pull these false diplomas out? It messes with my ability to get in for a summer semester. How long would it take to get a GED? It burns my ass that I have to do this.

It's insulting and embarassing just to find this out while preparing for college.

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:47:26 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, Mystic.  That type of screwing-over should have dire consequences for any parties involved.

I have a GED (Florida, as well, annoying circumstances led to me getting one in 2003).  All in all, it took me about a month to take the test (very easy), and get the diploma.  It looks next to exactly like a real High School Diploma, complete with diploma number, gold seal, and all.  Everything looks normal, except for a signature and the (small) words "Florida GED Administrator" underneath.  

In fact, if I recall correctly, if you score high enough you'll get an actual High School Diploma, like I described.  If you score under a certain level you get the GED diploma, which most likely looks much different.

Hope this helps, good luck with what you decide to do.    

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 09:07:52 PM »
Yeah, me too. It's just Insane, It looks Identical to my brother's Diploma which is a standard. It's just insane. I was informed that they were supposed to sent papers informing me of a choice to get a standard diploma or some deal before age of 22. They've never sent me a thing after graduation!

I was never told I would be getting a special diploma, but no one tells me anything, The School is horrid in caring for students with needs.

You'd think this would constitute a law suite. I'm mad furious.

it's just one let down after another, I tell ya.  

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »
It takes a Month? *sigh* there goes my hope of getting into my courses. Vocational Rehab is sponsoring me. I will never work at fast food ever again, by hook or by crook I'm getting a career with decent pay, Damn these Schools to hell! Damn them I say!

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
I hear getting a GED isn't that hard at all. Do that and make sure you've done SAT and/or ACT tests if you haven't already. Then it's college application time!

Ah, I've taken a recent Tabe test, if that counts for anything Super. My Scores are High. With some improvement for Math and Grammar needed, I think it was said. But everything else exceeds 11th grade level, which apparently is more than most students, I find that rather sad.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:49:23 PM »
Dude. That.. FRICKIN... SUCKS.

I... I... I'm happy I don't live in Florida.

No really, man, I'm shocked and disgusted at that community college. Utterly disgusted.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:47 AM »

it's basically a pretty piece of paper that bares no real meaning, serves no purpose.

Sup arts degrees.

*end engineering student joke*

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:59 AM »
I have a masters in Stephen Kingology.

P.S., sucks for MysticGohan!  Devil, thy name is beauracracy!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 08:16:19 AM »
I'd talk to your area's superintendent, and see if he can't do anything, or see if he can't at least expedite the process.  I really think something crooked must have happened.  You should be able to get copies of the law that states that your diploma is not a standard high school diploma, and lists the differences.  I know from experience that if you request them, the administration there is required to get them to you at in a reasonable amount of time, and at most, charge you for the price of paper they used.  If they won't do that for you, they are illegally trying to hide something, and you really may want to consider hiring a lawyer.

I found out my senior year at high school, that most of the people, even with those who are elected, are very crooked, and have twisted ways of running things for their own benefit.  This probably isn't the case in your scenario, but be wary, they used false techniques, trying to use the age of minority against students where it didn't, by law, apply, and hiding codes, rules, and laws from students, then changing them and not letting people know until the effects had been laid out.  On top of that, school campuses had a zero tobacco policy, and they guy in charge of it all sat in his office all day long, chewing on a cigar, which, in this case, would be against the rules for my school system, and would result in some problems, if it were investigated.  Anyways, long story short, beware, because they could be crooked.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
Personally I did my time and got OK scores on my test and when it was school time no one would look at me twice because my GPA (3.899) counted for squat and my ACT and SAT were 1 point below honors.  It was maddening because if I knew that I be treated like people who barely made it I would have lived more during high school.

Anyway, I'm on Voc Rehab its nice but they tend to be late paying things, ie I have to pay it to get my classes and they eventually get the check to the school and I get a check from the school.  

Don't let this set back turn you like me.  Every since I found out everything I was told and taught to believe from k-12 was a lie and my whole college experience has reinforced that its only who you know, I have no real self motivation.  Which is terrible. Also Calc 2 didn't help any.

In closing, investigate but don't let that stall the other channels.  Go ahead and take the GED, then the ACT and SAT if you haven't already.  In the end it might help you out in the long run.  Also I found after the fact since I was eligible for Voc. Rehab. I could have had unlimited time on the ACT and SAT.  I would definitely ask about that and they may also fit the bill.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:31 AM »
I tried calling the Superintendent , Unfortunately he's at a board meeting. So I get Transferred all over the place, only to leave a message for someone who may or may not return my call let alone help me.

This is really a pisser to me, I graduated, I did not drop out. Someone should be held accountable for this, It's just that frustrating.  

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 07:37:33 AM »
Well, I called the State department of Education and several transfers later I get someone. Apparently nothing can be done, I have to get a GED or work with my Voc. Rehab counselor and see about dealing with the school and achieving a Diploma.

How is it that the schools can get away with lying about the 2 Diplomas? The "Special" Shouldn't even be classified as a Diploma at all! it bares no meaning or power of the Standard. It's an inferior piece of paper that Falsely means you've graduated.

This is nonsense and stupidity of the School Board and advocates, How annoying.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »
I agree.  What's the point of continuing an education past 16 if you can legally leave school and the diploma you will end up with will be useless?

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
Indeed! The school Board should be held accountable throughout the board. I don't care if it's the change of rules or if it's been always that way, it screws everyone.
It angers me greatly, Never knowing that it was a special is really a kicker.