Author Topic: EDITORIALS: The State of Nintendo Online  (Read 21133 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:EDITORIALS: The State of Nintendo Online
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2007, 05:05:19 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
  • Why do all the online channels on Wii only connect about 50% of the time through my official USB adaptor and always-on cable Internet connection?

• If my Wii is online 24/7, why do I have to wait sixty seconds for the news or weather to download when I go to those channels?  

• Is your computer going into standby?  I don't have these problems, and I'm using the USB adapter, too.

No, I checked on that.  I use a screensaver, but not standby mode.  And I'm pretty sure that my rumordongle is working normally, because I have no problem with taking my DS online with it.  If only I had DS games worth playing online...
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    RE: EDITORIALS: The State of Nintendo Online
    « Reply #76 on: February 12, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »
    I think Nintendo's problem here is that they're a generation behind.  They need to get the kinks out and they lack experience.  But the problem is in a competitive environment the world doesn't wait for you.  Nintendo can't forever be five years behind on this.  There has to be a point where make a big leap and catch up.  After all why should anyone wait for them when the competition is already online?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: February 12, 2007, 05:51:18 AM »
    On Animal Crossing.  If they let anyone get into your town there should be a way to setup some laws.  There be fines for littering.  You could have people kicked out for chopping a tree.  Stuff like that.
    Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
    so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
      • My site.
    « Reply #78 on: February 12, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »
    Mr. Resetti them into submission.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • Score: 379
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: February 12, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
    I think Nintendo's problem here is that they're a generation behind.  They need to get the kinks out and they lack experience.  But the problem is in a competitive environment the world doesn't wait for you.  Nintendo can't forever be five years behind on this.  There has to be a point where make a big leap and catch up.  After all why should anyone wait for them when the competition is already online?

Gaming wise, I'd say yes.  However, their Wii shop, news and weather are pretty innovative for a company five years behind.  They really just need to get some of these games out there, and let us see what they've got.

They also need to make a GBA and a DS Lite expansion pack that can contain a permanent Friend Code that has future compatibility with all Wi-Fi games.  Even though it wouldn't work with released games, at least you wouldn't have to switch FC's with every single game you have.  Honestly, it should be released w/ the DS browser.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: February 12, 2007, 11:10:57 AM »

I agree. Even fanbois must admit that the market doesn't care about excuses. Just look at the PS3's price and their attempts to sell that as a value proposition.

Of course, Nintendo's extremely innovative with how they're using online in a blue ocean manner. After all, they've been doing wacky experiments with online distribution and gaming since the BS Satellaview for the Super Famicom, and they've meant to provide non-gaming news channels and the like since the Famicom.

However, it shows that their real weaknesses lies in the hardware and networking side of online connectivity, a field that's absolutely exploded and mutated rapidly from the late 1990's until today. Nintendo just isn't ready for the technical and hardware and database and networking and security and software and all that stuff that companies like Microsoft or even Sony have been involved with for years on end.

One has to wonder: how can Nintendo make that "big leap" and catch up when they're so clearly out of their depth internally in this field? ... The only way I can think of is to copy Blizzard's B.Net as much as possible and use that as a starting point.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • Score: 9
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: February 12, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117

• Why do all the online channels on Wii only connect about 50% of the time through my official USB adaptor and always-on cable Internet connection?

• If my Wii is online 24/7, why do I have to wait sixty seconds for the news or weather to download when I go to those channels?  

• Is your computer going into standby?  I don't have these problems, and I'm using the USB adapter, too.

I connect to a wireless network at home and I see these problems too, so its a Wii issue and not the network itself that that is producing these issues.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: February 12, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon However, it shows that their real weaknesses lies in the hardware and networking side of online connectivity, a field that's absolutely exploded and mutated rapidly from the late 1990's until today. Nintendo just isn't ready for the technical and hardware and database and networking and security and software and all that stuff that companies like Microsoft or even Sony have been involved with for years on end.

They just need to do what they did with all of the Wii Channels and outsource this responsibility to a company who knows what they're doing.

Why make their own browser when Opera can do it? Why track the weather when NASA can do it? They should just hand over responsibility to a 3rd party and let them create the infrastructure they need to do online gaming justice with their titles.

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
    Animal Crossing needed common areas very badly. It would be amazing if a ton of people could visit a Nintendo made town and meet and trade person to person. I'm sure people would design their own new mini games and whole different chapter of that game would be created just by adding cmmon areas. There could've been bots that held fishing tournaments or special items in the common areas you couldn't get in the town. Animal Crossing DS was a huge letdown for me. I pretty much bought a game again, that I already had played to death. The online format opened up a whole new realm of possibilities and Nintendo just blew it off. Normally I couldn't care less about online play, but for Animal Crossing, I thought that was really a chance for the online system to shine.

Indeed, that would have been awesome.

All you could really do in AC online was just kind of...be there. Not much to do other than just be in the same town and get in each other's way while trying to fish.

You couldn't even gang up and harass the villagers because they all went in their houses when another person entered your town.
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: February 12, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

They just need to do what they did with all of the Wii Channels and outsource this responsibility to a company who knows what they're doing.

Why make their own browser when Opera can do it? Why track the weather when NASA can do it? They should just hand over responsibility to a 3rd party and let them create the infrastructure they need to do online gaming justice with their titles.

Isn't Gamespy doing it?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Offline Magik

• View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: February 13, 2007, 02:12:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

I agree. Even fanbois must admit that the market doesn't care about excuses. Just look at the PS3's price and their attempts to sell that as a value proposition.

Of course, Nintendo's extremely innovative with how they're using online in a blue ocean manner. After all, they've been doing wacky experiments with online distribution and gaming since the BS Satellaview for the Super Famicom, and they've meant to provide non-gaming news channels and the like since the Famicom.

However, it shows that their real weaknesses lies in the hardware and networking side of online connectivity, a field that's absolutely exploded and mutated rapidly from the late 1990's until today. Nintendo just isn't ready for the technical and hardware and database and networking and security and software and all that stuff that companies like Microsoft or even Sony have been involved with for years on end.

One has to wonder: how can Nintendo make that "big leap" and catch up when they're so clearly out of their depth internally in this field? ... The only way I can think of is to copy Blizzard's B.Net as much as possible and use that as a starting point.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

All Nintendo needs is a copy of B.Net.

Battle.net is exactly what Nintendo needs for their online service.  It doesn't have the bells and whistles of Xbox Live, but it does include essentially the basics of a solid online network.

It would probably eliminate the need for Friend Codes as well.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: February 13, 2007, 05:06:14 AM »
    Sounds like Nintendo needs to contact Arenanet!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: February 13, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
    Isn't Gamespy doing it?

You know, I HEARD that back during the GC days but absolutely nothing ever came to fruition from it, as far as I know.
    "OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: February 13, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »
    No, Kairon's right; I remember IGN defending themselves and saying there wouldn't be a conflict of interest when it comes to reviews. This was about the time Mario Kart DS came out.
    "I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
    ---------------------------------------------
    "If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
    ----------------------------
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline otimus

• View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: February 18, 2007, 07:10:04 AM »
    "They also need to make a GBA and a DS Lite expansion pack that can contain a permanent Friend Code that has future compatibility with all Wi-Fi games. Even though it wouldn't work with released games, at least you wouldn't have to switch FC's with every single game you have. Honestly, it should be released w/ the DS browser."

Actually, so you know....
    The DS does have a permanent code. It's just that Nintendo are too backwards to use it.
    This is why I also believe Nintendo isn't going to use the Wii code for it's online games either.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • Score: 9
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:57 PM »

I remember IGN defending themselves and saying there wouldn't be a conflict of interest when it comes to reviews.

TOKEN 7.9 JOKE GOES HERE. I FIND THE LACK OF SKINS DISTURBING.