Author Topic: Why Gears of War sucks  (Read 11107 times)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE:Why Gears of War sucks
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 07:32:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
There was a depressed man who gathered his family for a meeting.  He then proceeded to decapitate himself with his chainsaw in front of them.

that would make a great scene on 24
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Why Gears of War sucks
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
Everyone loves the chainsaw in this game, but I think it sucks.  It handles poorly, making it hard to get a good hit with it.  When I do get a hit, I am "rewarded" with a loud, irritating noise, while blood covers the screen making it hard to see.  Very annoying.

Plus, what exactly is the blood covering again?  The screen?  The camera?  None of these things exist in the game.  That always bothers me about some games...there shouldn't be screen effects like that if it doesn't correlate with the game at all.  MP did it perfectly because water drops would hit the visor- if there's no visor, having raindrops hit the screen just brings me out of the experience because it reminds me that I'm simply staring at a TV screen.  It ruins the transparency.  Or something.

Boo!

kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »
Well I think the chainsaw bayonette is overrated and a shotgun is much better in close range.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 03:16:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Amodaus1

My final synopsis:

If a game is selling like crazy and is not:

1) made by nintendo
2) called the sims: insert expansion name
3) GTA
4) WOW

If that is your take on the videogame industry then you must have missed out on a lot of classics available on other systems just because it didn't have the Nintendo logo on the box-art.

A pathetic argument if there ever was one.
I Wii!

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 04:23:28 AM »
Further, it's patently false anyway.

Let's test his theory a little bit.

Here are the 10 best selling games of 2006 (in no particular order):
Madden, Kingdom Hearts 2, New Super Mario Bros., GTA: Vice City Stories, NCAA football, GRAW, Fight Night, Brain Age, Madden (again, I know), Elder Scrolls.

Of that list only 3 meet his "final synopsis" - GTA:VCS, NSM2, and Brain Age.

So yeah, patently false and just plain dumb.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »
I believe the WoW expansion sold around 2 million in 24 hours, I consider his statement true to that extent, WoW is unbelievably popular. Not sure how well the Sims expansion packs are selling though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 06:53:49 AM »
Obviously, I'm not saying the things on his list don't sell a lot of units, I'm just saying that trying to extrapolate that into some sort of hard and fast rule is elitist and stupid.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 07:07:57 AM »
I like to see a good redo of Jet Force Gemini.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk
Further, it's patently false anyway.

Let's test his theory a little bit.

Here are the 10 best selling games of 2006 (in no particular order):
Madden, Kingdom Hearts 2, New Super Mario Bros., GTA: Vice City Stories, NCAA football, GRAW, Fight Night, Brain Age, Madden (again, I know), Elder Scrolls.

Of that list only 3 meet his "final synopsis" - GTA:VCS, NSM2, and Brain Age.

So yeah, patently false and just plain dumb.

Your best selling list fails to be the top 10 best selling games of 2006

1. Madden NFL 07 (PlayStation 2; 1.8 million+ sold)
2. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS; 1.5 million+ sold)
3. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2; 1.5 million+ sold)
4. Gears of War (Xbox 360; 1 million+ sold)
5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360; 913,000+ sold)
6. Final Fantasy XII (PS2; 895,000+ sold)
7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2; 860,000+ sold)
8. NCAA Football 07 (PS2; 849,000+ sold)
9. Madden NFL 07 (Xbox 360; 826,000+ sold)
10. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!/ April (Nintendo DS; 792,000+ sold)

Elder scrolls was not in there, and gears of war is most ceratinly there

Number 2, Why don't you read my post which said that if it's none of those 4 (which was latter corrected to 5 as someone pointed out MADDEN and i said, DAMN I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT MADDEN! THAT SHOULD GO ON THE LIST!) Then its gotta be a shooter

So lets recap:

1 MAdden : checks with my synopsis
2 NSMB : Checks with my synop
4 Gears: It's a shooter, check
5 GRAW: Another shooter
7 GTA: Checks
9 Madden: Checks again
10 Brain age: Damn another check

Gee, my contorted view of the gaming industry sure is SAD. I mean with my broad generalization i managed to nail 7 of the top 10 best selling games of 06, AND THAT JUST FOR CONSOLES! Throw in PC stats and you'll find WOW, and not this year but ceratinly last, when SIMS 2 came out you'd find the sims. 7 out of 10, i'll take that.

Regardless, i'm not trying to be elitist. I'm stating games that sell in extremes are usually one of the 6 (madden, shooter, sims, WOW, GTA, and anything published by nintendo)  Am i being elitist by only including nintendo and not including a juggernaut like square-enix? Well, if square can float its own console then i would blanket them in that board statement.

And to the other guy who mention that i must have missed alot of games without the nintendo logo? Where the hell did you even derive that conclusion? I was making a statement about games that sell in extremes, not games that i play the most of. Last time i checked gears didn't have a nintendo logo and i just finished playing that, as well a gaint horde of ps2 games. Please read text before saying something.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 05:04:05 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Everyone loves the chainsaw in this game, but I think it sucks.  It handles poorly, making it hard to get a good hit with it.  When I do get a hit, I am "rewarded" with a loud, irritating noise, while blood covers the screen making it hard to see.  Very annoying.

Plus, what exactly is the blood covering again?  The screen?  The camera?  None of these things exist in the game.  That always bothers me about some games...there shouldn't be screen effects like that if it doesn't correlate with the game at all.  MP did it perfectly because water drops would hit the visor- if there's no visor, having raindrops hit the screen just brings me out of the experience because it reminds me that I'm simply staring at a TV screen.  It ruins the transparency.  Or something.

Boo!

That would be good and fine if it were a FPS but its not.  Its not putting you in the shoes of a warrior.  You are not the warrior.  Your looking from the outside.  That is what third person is all about.  Theres no way to see another person(third) unless your there in person or you have some type of recording device.  Either way its you getting your eyeballs splashed with ketchup or a camera getting sprayed.  Besides that doesn't make the game bad anyway.  Stop nitpicking.  FPS and Transformed FPS(TPS) have become generic.  Theres nothing new to them.  WE need something fresh.  They haven't changed much since doom pc or golden eye.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln