Author Topic: Dixon's ditches GameCube  (Read 7323 times)

Offline Chris1228

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« on: March 10, 2003, 07:41:55 AM »

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 11:01:05 AM »
I saw that news piece last night, or was it early this morning, also. Sucks that Nintendo doesn't really have control over who carries their stuff. And if Dixon's only saw what is to come later this year.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 12:17:37 PM »
Oh, they do. Nintendo can't force someone to sell their stuff, but they can stop them from selling it. While I think this is sad, I also laugh at Dixon's because Nintendo has a policy about retailers that ditch them. I don't think you'll see another Nintendo product in a Dixon for at least 10 years.

During the Nintendo Entertainment System days, Nintendo used to play hardball with the retailers. I think they even forced some chains to go under.

I hope to see that happen again.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 12:29:47 PM »
Our European correspondent has told us that the only place this has been reported is in a particularly terrible tabloid, and that the Dixon's closest to her is still selling GameCube at the standard price.  As well, Dixons does NOT make up 20% of Nintendo's sales in the UK, as this story suggested.

In other words, this story appears to be a damned lie.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline trevorlinden

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 03:27:28 PM »
Why let Dixon sell GBASP and earn money when they are not willing to sell Cubes?  That should teach them a lesson.  I'm sure other retailers will gladly pick up more shipments of the SP.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 03:33:49 PM »
Well, with Rick's imput, I'm sure this is completely BS. If what he says is true, and I'm sure it is, then this is completely false.

I can't see why any retailer would ever completely stop selling Gamecubes. It's not as if they're losing money on them.

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 03:56:26 PM »
It is complete BS.  You can't stop carrying a product just becuase it hasn't sold as much as it's rival in that few months.  I can see them limiting their supply but otherwise, they'll still carry Gamecube products.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2003, 04:34:36 PM »
Well gamers.com (EGM) Is reporting it. Seems stupid though, all of the major titles will be released in europe including Metroid Prime and Zelda wich will push the sales of the GCN, this store would just be missing out.  

Offline Joey

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2003, 05:33:07 PM »

Our European correspondent has told us that the only place this has been reported is in a particularly terrible tabloid, and that the Dixon's closest to her is still selling GameCube at the standard price. As well, Dixons does NOT make up 20% of Nintendo's sales in the UK, as this story suggested.

Would you happen to know the name of the tabloid?

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 06:15:47 PM »
Well Computerandvideogames.com is also reporting it. I think it is the original source and it is a British site reporting about a British retailer.  

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2003, 09:25:05 PM »
For a rumour stated as fact, this is creating a lot of bad press in the UK & Holland, since it's been going around about Dixons for months. I hope this gets cleared up very soon, so all the sites so eager to report this news can eat their hats!
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 05:47:56 AM »
I am glad to hear Rick say this is probably not true...I hope he is right!

Offline Andy

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 06:14:24 AM »
The tabloid, was the Daily Mirror, which reported yesterday, it is actually the bestest paper here in the uk and always wins awards. The section was "Amy's i" (amysi@mirror.co.uk)

Offline bryanee

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 06:25:24 AM »
bet dixons kikin themselves in the ass, gc software sales over here shot up, resident evil zero went straight to number 2 (multi-format charts) after one day
That lady is all kinds of naked!!!!!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2003, 06:25:50 AM »
Yes, it was the Daily Mirror, but our European Correspondent has told us that there are a great many stories in the tabloid that aren't true, regardless of how many "awards" it's won.  Also, she walked into a Dixons and talked to the employees, and they've said it isn't true.  I don't know what more you want us to tell you.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline bryanee

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2003, 06:39:44 AM »
well dixons havent recieved any of the new gc software and all gc products are sellin at cutdown prices includin the consoles, u can get games for uner £20 now, and a few dixons employees in a dixons shop wont know anything, i;d much rather believe i wot i see happenein in the dixons shops themselves

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2003, 07:18:48 AM »
Someone at Penny-Arcade posted this link:

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/cubeeurope/index.cgi?board=gena&action=display&num=1047348539

Not that I'm saying any of it is true, but its intersting. Lots of stuff about Dixon's refusing to stock Broadband Adaptors or something and Nintendo telling them to shove it if they wouldn't stock that then they wouldn't stock anything Nintendo. Anyways, it's not on any sort of offical board, but its interesting whether its true or not.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2003, 07:56:54 AM »
well what rick says sounds pretty reliable, but cube europe is reporting it now. i dont know who to believe. cube europe has been known to report rumors as facts though.....but they have a quote....me hates the internets way of reporting news!
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline bryanee

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2003, 08:23:31 AM »
well just got off the phone to my mate who went into dixons today to ask about pre-ordering zelda-wind waker and dixons replied with that they arent takin pre-orders on it cuz they wont be stocking it atall.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2003, 11:06:27 AM »
well its at IGN as well, again seems like a stupid move to me...

Offline Taco

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2003, 11:40:41 AM »
reuters had it as well.

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2003, 06:52:58 PM »
>> bet dixons kikin themselves in the ass, gc software sales over here shot up, resident evil zero went straight to number 2 (multi-format charts) after one day <<

I doubt it. There are new reports at Computerandvideogames.com about their Dixon's article plus the newest software / hardware Nintendo sales / boost. Basically it says they got the majority of the boost because DIXONS severely discounting their stuff and thus it is selling like hotcakes. It has a Nintendo rep basically saying ' yeah it is because of the major discounts.'.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2003, 07:11:47 PM »
i dont know about that....because wasnt re0 jsut released in europe???? so if it was, i doubt dixon would even carry reo. i doubt they just decided over night to drop the cube. it would explain high cube sales, but not high re0 sales.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline bryanee

• View Profile
Dixon's ditches GameCube
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2003, 04:11:16 AM »
in my local dixons they arent carryin new gc titles, resi zero included