Author Topic: Rumored Online Games... so far..  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Omni

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rumored Online Games... so far..
« on: February 03, 2003, 07:53:38 PM »
okay okay, i know what you are thinking... the Big N isnt exacly coming though on online area, but in my opinion they are just letting Sony and Microsoaft test the waters for sharks and see if they come through with all their limbs attached. I think this is a smart move for Nintendo because they dont have the capital to be wasting on somethign that wont be profitable to them. i know I, and many others would like to see more online games, but we have lived without it for how long now? i think we can wait to see if the waters are safe before Nintendo gets in over their heads.

But back to what i originally intended this topic for. supposedly there are a number of games going to be online in the future, and i am not very sure how reliable any of these rumors are, but whats wrong with a little wishful thinking. okay. here is what i have heard of so far...

• Mario Kart
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Tennis
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Pokemon RPG
  • F-Zero
  • Cube Wars
  • Animal Crossing 2
  • Super Smash Brothers

that is all the games that i have heard rumors about being online. Now, if any of these have confimred to be true/false please let me know. also if i forgot any please add them on.

If even 25% of these rumors were true (more wishful thinking) I think that Nintendo's online plan would be comparible to X-box Live. which would be a big help for Nintendo in the Console war.
Do I dare Disturb The Universe

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 08:01:33 PM »
I think that any game release this year could be online. I doubt that F-Zero will be online (it might have LAN) because it's coming out soon. I predict that Nintendo would have a mini-launch for their online titles. I expect Mario Kart, Golf, and Tennis to be the launch titles.

We won't know til E3.

Offline Omni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 08:04:51 PM »
Yes the Mythical event of E3.. oh i cant wait
Do I dare Disturb The Universe

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 08:11:05 AM »
all those would be good online along with mario party 4. but i also want ea, even though they are dropping some sports titles, to put the remaining ones online. thats all we really need. maybe a good fps like timesplitters 3.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Kuchakor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 09:59:37 AM »
SUPER MONKEYBALL ONLINE!!
Town: TVLand
Name: Kuchakor

Whatya up to Norm?

My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 12:11:27 PM »
I'm looking forward to F-Zero being online the most.
--CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sim City 4, Mario Golf
--LOOKING FORWARD TO:
F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 01:02:17 PM »
Mario Kart, F-Zero, and a way to play SSBM online against others would be nice. Although I don't think you would be able to play SSBM online.
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline telaris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 01:14:27 PM »
I'm half expecting to see Nintendo unveil an online plan this year. Half-expecting because I wouldn't want to get my hopes up. :0

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 03:10:06 PM »
Personally, I just don't see the point.  If I want to play a game online, I will just use my PC.  That's why I pay for all the expensive upgrades for it all the time.  I use my console for single player games mostly, and I play multiplayer when I have some friends over.  I cannot possibly think of a console game I might want to play online.  I really appreciate Animal Crossing's online aspect, but I really don't want to see it go further.  It's ok if the option is there, but when it is a required feature, ala FFXI or PSO, I start to get all kinds of warning flags.

The bottom line is that I think that I am not alone on this.  I don't see Nintendo doing anything wrong by not really having any kind of online plan.  If developers want to make some online games, that's fine, and Sega did just that.  I have no intention of ever buying a broadband adaptor, and unless there is a REALLY GOOD (And I am talking INSANELY good) game then I doubt I will ever change my mind.  It's just not worth the extra cost and hassle.  My PC does the job just fine for me, and far better than a console ever could.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2003, 03:22:05 PM »
You've never played MechAssault online, then.  There's actually a lot to be said for not having to sit in front of your computer and your(relatively) small screen, when you can be in the living room with your (again, relatively) big screen, and kicking your friend's ass ... and all without having to worry about drivers, memory, whether your computer can run the game, etc.

Xbox Live takes it one step further.  You should hear some of the obscenities I was lobbing at Billy the other night.    
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline alexzman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2003, 03:35:42 PM »
Frankly, when it comes to Smash Bros. I'd much rather be in the same room with 4 other lunatics at 4 am playing then with some random "Mariofan2937" who I can't taunt, yell, or throw things at.  
--CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Sim City 4, Mario Golf
--LOOKING FORWARD TO:
F-Zero, SCII, and MK: DD

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2003, 03:57:52 PM »
yes online rocks...say your freinds leg was broken and he just couldnt make it...online. The thing is...your not necassarilly going to play with random people online, you can meet up with your freidns and play with them.  I remember playing half life reminded me of ninja turtles when it comes to co-op play. When people team up to kick ass, theres just no greater fun.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2003, 04:01:07 PM »
I still prefer Roger Wilko to Xbox live, but something never change...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2003, 04:44:16 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
You've never played MechAssault online, then.  There's actually a lot to be said for not having to sit in front of your computer and your(relatively) small screen, when you can be in the living room with your (again, relatively) big screen, and kicking your friend's ass ... and all without having to worry about drivers, memory, whether your computer can run the game, etc.

Xbox Live takes it one step further.  You should hear some of the obscenities I was lobbing at Billy the other night.  

Actually, my GameCube sits right next to my PC.  My TV also sits right next to my monitor, but it's a little smaller.  I would actually like to get a VGA Box so I could eliminate my TV altogether, but that's another story.  And no, I haven't played Mechassault, but I play a few PC games online.  To tell the truth though, there are precious few games I play online period.  About all I play online these days is America's Army.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline tmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 08:51:45 AM »
Are we talking just 1st party?  If not - I expect these online games to hit the cube this year:

- Super Monkey Ball Online
- Madden (yeah - they are cancelling SOME sports games - like probably Tiger Woods Golf and Nascar - but not Madden)
- Tony Hawk 5
- Timesplitters 3

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2003, 09:43:58 AM »
"Frankly, when it comes to Smash Bros. I'd much rather be in the same room with 4 other lunatics at 4 am playing then with some random 'Mariofan2937' who I can't taunt, yell, or throw things at."

Comments like this suggest that if Smash Bros went online then you couldn't play four players anymore.  There's nothing stopping you from playing it offline with your friends.  Online is merely a bonus so that if you want to play with someone (and it likely doesn't have to be random) who doesn't live near you you can.  Online is not a replacement for four player multiplayer it's merely another option.

I have friends I like to play with but I would also like to play with some people online who I can't play with otherwise because they live on the opposite side of the continent.  I would much rather play most games with people in the same room but online is perfectly fine when playing in the same room isn't an option.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2003, 08:08:01 PM »
Not to start any wild speculation. But I wouldn't get my hopes to far diminished of seeing any of the Mario Sports titles online (considering the Louie Rumor), because hte Mario Sports titles are usally handled by third party developer Camelot.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline tmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2003, 05:55:37 AM »

It really doesn't matter if it is Nintendo or Camelot developing a Nintendo Franchise.  If Nintendo wants it online - which I hope they do - it will be online.  It would be pretty cool to be in an online Mario Golf tournament.

AND - some speculation - what if 1080 was delayed to add some online functionality?  I understand the game was good and plenty Nintendo fans would probably snatch it up if it was still being released this month like they announced a few months back - but what if Nintendo wants to seperate it from the other snowboarding titles by making it the first online snowboarding title?  Of course - I wouldn't be totally suprised if EA releases an online SSX title later this year.  SSX Tricky sold pretty well I think.

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2003, 07:57:55 AM »
Umm...this new forum confuses me...I can't tell if I'm logged in.

BTW, no one has mentioned the possibility of Pikmin 2 being online. 1080 online would be sweet, you're right. Nintnedo should make all those games online, it would get the entire gaming community  VERY excited.
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 09:53:52 PM »
Mario Golf online? What's the point? Downloading new courses?

What would be great is a beat'em up type game (Double Dragon, Final Fight, etc) where you're supposed to play co-op, but you can also hurt the other players. The funnest thing is when you can directly attack the other players with your punches or kicks, so instead you start throwing enemies and objects at them instead, then shout (or type, I guess) "oops. sorry, man, didn't see you there... " ... Then do it again and again...

Offline tmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2003, 09:24:11 AM »
Golf isn't exactly the best 1 player game ever - and I have lots of friends that live far away that I would like to play a round with every now and then.  I'd just like to have tournaments with other people - mostly people I know - but I wouldn't mind testing my skills against strangers either.  As far as downloadable courses goes - I would be amazed if they could fit an entire 18 hole course download onto a memory card. I suppose they could do it one hole at a time though maybe.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Problem with a game like Mario Golf is that pretty graphics and a few new course layouts isn't enough to make it a top selling game.  Sure - they'll sell more to Nintendo fans than EA sold Tiger Woods golf, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will be doing something to seperate it from the other Golf games out there.  Something to make it worth buying even if you have Mario Golf on the 64.  GBA connectivity won't be unique enough - even the N64 had a link with the Gameboy Mario Golf.  Yes - there will be GBA Connectivity - and potentially downloadable courses for GBA Mario Golf (MUCH smaller download) - But there has got to be more than that.

Hasn't Camelot been working on Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for like two years now?  They're up to something...

Offline Zschokke24

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2003, 04:37:45 AM »
Hmmmm, i never thought of Cube Wars being online, that would be awesome if it urns out to be like the GBA version, which i expect the cube one to be 1000000 times better. But i still think SSBM: World Smash would take the cake along with Mario Kart!
" A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto