Author Topic: Punch Out trademark  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Punch Out trademark
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »
Go to IGN.com if you want to read the article. It's being made or something.

I posted this in the Rev forum for two reasons:

1. It would be stupid for Nintendo to release many potential hits at the end of the GC's life. Their not going to gain any market share, only software revenue. Releasing these potential hits at launch is a better idea, allowing for a driving force early on.

2. Why would Punchout make a return on GC!? Sure it was fun, but how could you add something to the good ole' formula that makes it more appealing, while not directly competing with other boxing games? I know.....Gyration boxing.

Think about it. It would be so easy to play. You don't have to worry about moving, just punching, dogding, and blocking. Since this trademark was registered not to long ago, I'm thinking it'll be shown real soon.....like E3 soon. Maybe a demo or something....

It could be for the DS, and I think that could be cool to, but no way near what I'm hoping the REV can do.

"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Punch Out trademark
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 12:55:42 PM »
The two Punch-Out games benefit because of a very limited design.  You stand still, dodge and punch.  The computer opponent does all the work and you just react to him.  It's more like a puzzle game that just happens to have a boxing theme.  It really don't play like boxing should.  Punch-Out couldn't be played multiplayer and would not benefit from a switch to 3D.  Super Punch-Out just nailed it.  There's really no where else to go without changing what the game is about.

Yet demand for a sequel has always been high, likely because people want more of every popular franchise and don't really understand what the game is about.  There has been no new Punch-Out for the simple reason that logically there is no reason to make another Punch-Out.  The formula has been perfected.  Yet everyone wishes they would make a new one and then suggests all sorts of stuff that would fit in a simulation boxing game but would drastically change the Punch-Out design into something else.

For example gyration boxing sounds like a cool idea but adding something like that to Punch-Out would be unnecessary and wouldn't compliment the design.  It's really an idea that would work better as it's own game.  But of course a boxing game not called Punch-Out made by Nintendo would blow the minds of sequel drones so I can totally see "Punch-Out" being thrown on the box of an otherwise unrelated game.

I agree that it's probably a Rev game since making another Cube game would be a waste of resources. It doesn't surprise me that it's been trademarked and it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo made a new Punch-Out since they have no problem these days making unneeded sequels.

Though I really wish people would stop asking for sequels to games that are in name only.  Another bad offender for this is Kid Icarus.  People constantly ask for a new Kid Icarus yet they then describe an idea for the game that is nothing like the original title (to the point where I question if the people asking for a new Kid Icarus have even PLAYED the original game).  Don't ask for sequels that are in name only.  Ask Nintendo to make great games.  Ask them to make sequels if they feel there's room to expand and improve on the concept and brand new games if they have new ideas.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »
Why are you forgetting the GBA?  It makes much more sense for a Punch-out sequel...

People constantly ask for a new Kid Icarus yet they then describe an idea for the game that is nothing like the original title (to the point where I question if the people asking for a new Kid Icarus have even PLAYED the original game). Don't ask for sequels that are in name only.

Bah, that's what most people said before Metroid Prime...You can easily keep the spirit of a franchise while also making it completely different (and better)...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:Punch Out trademark
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »
Punch Out has always been a pattern recognition game.  

The simple design allowed for you to Punch, Duck/Dodge, and power punch.

It was a great puzzle game like Ian said, because instead of focusing on boxing you were focused on finding the pattern and the weakness.  In that regard it is like the strategy of boxing without some of the other elements.  

Punch Out would be a great game to add to the Revolution specially if it is kept to the tried and true formula.  Punch Out as an actual boxing simulation won't sell well.  I would never buy a true boxing game.

HOWEVER,

A pattern recognition puzzle game that uses the theme of boxing and Gyros that is something cool.

Punch Out could be the perfect launch game to show off the Revolution's controller, and it would be a perfect game to demo at E3.  Simple to get code designed for it and would show off the vision well.  

Imagine recognizing the patterns and punching to hit the opponent.  Putting the Gyros close together to block, and moving them to either left or right to dodge.  

Its an awesome game idea that would be a perfect game.  

It could also be turned into a kick'n online game, as two people are boxing eachother actually dodging and weaving and punching.  

I hope this is what Nintendo is planning, because I would be on board for this game.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 03:23:41 PM »
psssh! I posted this in the rev. launch title thread when advanced media reported it.... 2 days ago.

i am teh Cv††!n9 3dge
I'll shut up now...

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:54:16 PM »
something similar to the gyro boxing game is already made though. As an Arcade game where you wear these plastic red gloves and duck and fight .. its fun,

Anyways, Punch Out was great, how would they improve it who knows..  
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 04:31:52 AM »
Savior:  The problem with that game is the formula.  It tries to be real boxing.  Punch Our Revolution shouldn't try to be boxing, but remain the puzzle/pattern game of its youth.  Just change the input device.

Another thing to consider is Nintendo may just release a boxing glove controller to the system.  I think Nintendo is beginning to enjoy custom controllers for special games.  Punch Out is definately a special game.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 02:54:53 PM »
or, as speculated by some insightful minds, this could be a future NES Classic release
I'll shut up now...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 11:55:23 AM »
Like Ian said...Super Punch Out perfected the formula.

Making this punch out (assuming it's coming to the REV) similar to boxing games seen today, doesn't benefit the formula at all. It's a strategy/puzzle game disguised as a boxing title.

The question is: how can you add something beneficial to the game without disturbing the original formula?

Allowing Mac to move freely is a terrible idea. Although, what if Mac could move on a restricted orbital? I mean, what if besides his normal dodge left/right, he could further that move by dodging and spinning around to the left/right. Reminiscent of Zelda, he could completely spin around the enemy. I don't see this adding anything really beneficial, but it also wouldn't ruin the orginal formula.

Anyways, really....you can't add anything. Super Punch Out nailed it. The only thing I could see help revive the series is a new control scheme. Actually, if all they did was up the Super Punch Out graphics and add gyration controls, I'd buy it in an instant.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 05:30:24 AM »
2 freehands
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 06:56:55 AM »
It's funny how even though this topic was made way before the controller unvieling, it makes perfect sense.

REVmote Punch Out!

Offline slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 04:08:45 PM »
Punch out was close to perfection in Super Punch Out, but when comparing it to the NES version, it lacks a certain something.  Anyways, Punch Out can still improve.  First, they can add RPG elements to it. Like if you want to learn different types of punch, like a feint and then a hook, you can practice on it until you get like a gold rating indicating that the punch as been mastered and can be used in the match. The more the skill is used in a match, the more potent and fast it becomes.  Finally, more rounds can be added. Of course the opponent need to have a more adaptive pattern or just more variations that come out in later rounds.  I thought Super Punch Out was a bit on the wacky side (too much). You freakin have an old man with a staff attempting to kick your butt and a kung fu guy trying to jump kick you.  Anyways, Punch Out does not have to be a simulator to be improved. It can still maintain its wacky and addictive elements, but add a little bit of simulation type mini games (training), (game strategy) fighter development through mastering of skills, better computer AI, and a difficulty setting. The higher the settings the less damage your fighter inflict and the computer's punches are super fast and combinations are rather intense and long, prompting you to be quick with your fingers and patient.  They should bring back the fatigue factor.  Also, training should be optional. If you don't gain new skills, it will take you much longer to beat an opponent and thus penalize you as you advance through the game.  Also, your fighter can develop an attitude. As you beome a knock out artist, your fighter grows more flamboyant, leading to scuffles at press conference and such or if you are squeaking out victories, your fighter will have random opponents interrupting your press conference to challenge you.  These are just some of the improvements I think can be made with Punch Out.  As you can see, punch out can still be improved.  Its core gameplay is still there to lure new comers and the new elements throws in enough variation to satisfy its fans. In my opinion, punch out's concept and gameplay isn't being explored completely by Nintendo and that's too bad.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 04:45:55 PM »
Yeah, I was amazed reading this thread over again, and then realizing we weren't discussing the actual controller.

With the Controller unveiling I really think this is doable.  You don't even have to use two controllers (Though that option should be available.)

Instead if you want to punch with your  Left Arm Press and Hold the B Trigger and punch.  If you want to Punch with your Right Press and Hold A button, and punch.  Holding both allows you to Duck, Dodge, and such.

However, Now with The revolution Controller you have to not only recognise the Patterns (which should still be the same) You must discover weak points, and Combo weak points to chain together attacks.  This could get very specific since the accuracy of the Revolution Controller will allow it.  

Dodging also gets a boost with being able to Block with both hands, Duck, and Sidestep becoming more realistic...and you can string certain blocks together to create an opening.  Block with your fists, quickly sidestep and then Jab the side of the opponent.  

Super Punch Out Perfected the game with the basic controller.  But the Revolution Controller opens up the game design to be re-explored and re-discovered.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »
Bad things can happen if a game disconnects from what it is at its core...

Bad Things

Edit: Game = Game Title