Author Topic: Wii Controller = You?  (Read 5146 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Wii Controller = You?
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »
Perhaps this new system should just be the I.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16994

Whilst Microsoft already offers a personalised gamertag and user profile for it's Xbox 360 console (with similar plans announced for the PS3), Nintendo appears to be taking the idea a step further, offering a personalised controller that enables the console to instantly recognise personal preferences and game settings - a move which could prove to be exceptionally useful in helping the company achieve its ambitions in the next-gen market.

Someone (forgive me) was suggesting something like this, as in you can take your "Wii-mote" with you and use it at a friends' house with save data and such on it, or, perhaps, a step further and be able to take it to demo kiosks/special events and download demos (or special passes that allow you to download stuff from the WiFi Connection/Virtual Console).

Now *this* could be a cool little feature.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Controller = You?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »
Man, I would so take my Wii-mote around like a fashion accessory.

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:14:46 PM »
Yep. Sounds like a cool feature... though I wonder how it'll work if a household shares controllers, or when friends come over to play.

I guess they'll get guest accounts. Which'll actually probably encourage them to buy controllers/systems on their own. Which'll be good.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 08:18:53 PM »
F'n' A.

I was sitting here thinking about typing something up along the lines of how games like Four Swords Adventure and FF:CC (Well, I guess just those two) in theory, had people "buying their own controller" in a way.  Then I got to thinking...

What was that "not quite a console, not quite a portable" quote?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:22:50 PM »
Gah...

What if this has something to do with the rumors of weird Wii pricing structure?

Going out on a limb here... You buy you a Wii for, say, $50... but it comes with *nothing* (aside from power/TV cables)...  And you buy you a Controller for $50.  Then, your friend buys a controller to play on your Wii...  And a month down the road, well, a Wii is only $50...  Now I don't think this is right, but something along this concept could be brewing.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »
wouldnt it be cool if there wasa link cable form the wii ontroller to gba? the controllers not just regular rf..its freaking wifi itself
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »

Going out on a limb here... You buy you a Wii for, say, $50... but it comes with *nothing* (aside from power/TV cables)... And you buy you a Controller for $50. Then, your friend buys a controller to play on your Wii... And a month down the road, well, a Wii is only $50... Now I don't think this is right, but something along this concept could be brewing.

Interesting idea. I doubt Nintendo would sell systems without controllers, but I do think it's likely they'll hike up the price of controllers to compensate for the fact that non-gamers might not buy their own systems.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Dryden

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Controller = You?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:48 PM »
Hmm... it basically sounds like Nintendo is thinking about leaving the sensitivity settings, etc, on the controller.
Of course, if the console is infinately connected to the Internet... and friend codes are here to stay... then all you'd need to save onto the controller would be the friend code(s).
I doubt Nintendo would make the controllers exclusively personal, though.  You only need one controller for four people to play Animal Crossing.  I don't see why it couldn't have multiple profiles on it.
I love Miyamoto, he's on track with personalizing the Wii profiles, but the one wii-mote per person idea seems stupid.  It's only one extra button press to pick your player profile from the load menu.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 01:03:54 AM »
I suppose games could store a set of profiles and have a default option to load the controller's profile. I like the idea of having portable data in your controller so if you have multiple people with one controller each in the house you just bring your controllers and it automatically knows who's playing (I think I've even wished that feature was in the GC when playing Smash Bros).

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 12:18:34 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Gah...

What if this has something to do with the rumors of weird Wii pricing structure?

Going out on a limb here... You buy you a Wii for, say, $50... but it comes with *nothing* (aside from power/TV cables)...  And you buy you a Controller for $50.  Then, your friend buys a controller to play on your Wii...  And a month down the road, well, a Wii is only $50...  Now I don't think this is right, but something along this concept could be brewing.

Well, your numbers are a bit off, but I think you're starting to clue in.

Think about this ... all the "technology", so to speak, is in the Wii controller.  The console itself is really just a more advanced GameCube, but the components are fairly cheap.  With GameCube only costing $79 right now (at a profit, no less), a price roughly double that for Wii isn't that out of the realm of imagination, is it?  The controllers will be a bit more expensive than usual, $40-50 maybe, but I could easily see the console selling for as little as $149.  And I beleive that Nintendo could see this too ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »
Rick knows something. . .
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 06:51:52 PM »
I doubt information would be stored on the controller, with everything else they have to fit in there. More likely, there would be a profile in the Wii24 service and the controller would just have a custom code. Imagine if you could have your games saved online, and then go to a friend's house... eliminating the need for memory cartridges. Obviously it couldn't work for every game, but the sheer coolness of just pointing the controller at the screen, hitting home, and having all your game profiles and most of your saves load...

Come to think of it, this sounds a bit like a possible final secret. Hmm...
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 07:40:37 PM »
Dude. You're on to something.

And if the Wii is so cheap to make...why not throw in a hard drive?
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »

And if the Wii is so cheap to make...why not throw in a hard drive?

Too fragile, according to Nintendo.

Imagine if you could have your games saved online, and then go to a friend's house

Now that's a good idea.

Oh, as for price, I'm going to bet $200 with 2 controllers. Getting people to try out the system is Nintendo's number one priority, and I think bundling multiple controllers in would be a great way to accomplish that.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
man I'd feel like such a badass when I take off my sport coat and have a Wii-mote housed in a shoulder harness/holster. Talk about PROFESSIONAL
I'll shut up now...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2006, 09:45:17 PM »
Having an Xbox I don't think a hard drive is anything special.  It lets me save games and what else? Stream content a bit I guess but Nintendo never had trouble with loading and the like.  
Since Wii has flash memory that should take care of game saves I hope.  I do hate memory cards.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 09:45:40 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman

no doubt, he has been dropping some clues for a while

this one seems pretty interesting actually....cheap system, expensive controllers......if the system is cheap, maybe LAN won't be so unusual......
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 09:53:28 PM »
The cheaper the better for me.  Just graduated from University and being incredibly in debt I need cheap things.
For the general consumer is there a price where it would be too low though?  Maybe people would think something was wrong because it is too cheap?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 12:18:37 PM »
I know how you're thinking SixthAngel, but I don't think that will be an issue given the pricing we're seeing I kind of think that the pricing for GameCube was a problem....it was cheaper than everything else which may have made it look inferior.  But what we have here is a system that is so different from the other two, and so much cheaper, that it's in a completely different class.  It's not trying to be the same thing as an Xbox 360, so it can't be inferior...sort of.
Also, with Nintendo aiming to capture new gamers, I think having the lowest price possible is a must.  Interesting that Nintendo hasn't revealed the price, yet everyone is already saying $199.  If that is the price, why didn't Nintendo just say so?  I'm beginning to think they will launch even lower.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 12:33:40 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman
Rick always knows something... I still remember that Zelda GC compilation thread.

It's just a matter of kidnapping Casey and paying HHH to threaten him till Rick spills his guts.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 01:52:55 PM »
I could see $40 for the controllers, $50 seems a bit much. A cheaper controller seems like a better way to advance their we/play together strategery.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
I could see $40 for the controllers, $50 seems a bit much. A cheaper controller seems like a better way to advance their we/play together strategery.

Hey Microsoft gets away with a 50$ wireless controller, so why not NIntendo? Especially if it is percieved as having superior technology?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144