Author Topic: RE:DS, I want to know more...  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:DS, I want to know more...
« on: February 02, 2006, 06:57:06 AM »
Anyone heard anything about the co-op mode, in particular? This is the main selling point of the game for me, as I love co-op play but only if it's well-implemented.

So, anyone have any information on what to expect, or possibly a video of co-op play? I'd like to imagine solving puzzles with multiple people and fending off hordes of zombies, but I've learned that applying my expectations of the game to the game itself is often a recipe for disappointment.

-SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:32:35 AM »
Here's a link to a review of the Japanese version.  Probably has the most detail about the nuts and bolts of the multiplayer.

The first RE is the only game in the series that I haven't played (not counting the light-gun and on-line off-shoots), so I'm pretty pumped about it.  But, if you've already played the PSOne version a million billion times - there's probably nothing new here for you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:36:44 AM »
If you're never played the original and you own a GameCube (which is likely) you really should buy REmake.  It can be found for brand new at most places for only $15.  Linky.  (This is more for HH than for SB.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 09:07:12 AM »
Yeah, the REmake is pretty good: the one which brought me into the series.

It's pictures like this which concern me:

If this is the co-op mode, it would indicate that the other players are represented by floating transparent arrows.

As of yet, I cannot find a screenshot which clearly shows multiple players in the same area fighting together. If each player is basically relegated to being in their own "universe", then I'd imagine it will put a huge damper on multiplayer co-op.

Maybe this was done because of graphical limitations or something?

-SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: RE:DS, I want to know more...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:09:03 AM »
Hmm If Metroid Prime Hunters can display everyone in multiplater, RES should be able to as well.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »
Not necessarily, if it was built for singleplayer it may not have enough system ressources left to display multiple players (which could use a significant chunk of the 2048 polygon limit each).

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 09:47:36 AM »
That's what I'm afraid of.

Co-op mode allegedly shares a life bar and items, and you need to help each other solve puzzles.

From the sounds of it, however, it could be like the other players are in some parallel universe and you each fight your own monsters and never really interact. That, IMHO, equates a big bucket of suck.

I was looking forward to the thrill of shooting zombies off each other's backs, like in RE0, and having glorious hold-out gunfights where you and your friends are backed against a wall while hordes of zombies try to make it through your hail of gunfire. From the sounds of it, this is not what we're going to get.

-SB

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:54:21 AM »

horrible Outbreak series

review discredited

-SB

Offline toad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 10:22:16 AM »
im really stoked for this game, im a huge fan of resident evil, and when 4 came out eveyone else became huge fans of re.  I hope this game is a succesful port, im just wondering if ppl will actually buy it, i no i will how bout u

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 10:48:04 AM »
It depends almost entirely on whether or not the multiplayer is decent.

I'm going to pick it up because of sheer curiosity, if nothing else, but I won't be having any DS-toting friends pick it up unless multiplayer receives a clean bill of health. I'll just pass it from friend to friend rather than everyone buying their own copy.

-SB

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »
"Co-Op mode similarly leaves out interaction with characters (they're still invisible in a room)"

thats taken from igns latest preview of the game    http://ds.ign.com/articles/685/685505p2.html

the game actually seems like it turned out pretty well. not being able to see the other players in multiplayer is a litle dissapointing, but from the sounds of it, it still works alright.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 02:21:05 PM »
Good find.

They seemed to like co-op regardless of that fact...hmm...

-SB

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 12:43:07 AM »
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=80996

Resident Evil Deadly Silence is a 3D game, was it difficult to make a 3D game for Nintendo DS ?

Well, the Nintendo DS is probably not suited for 3D, I think that Nintendo DS is carrying over the Game Boy Advance technology by adding some 3D support, the number of polygons that you can push on Nintendo DS is around a thousand, if you add textures it’s 800 polygons, so it’s not a lot. But still as you have seen there are a lot of 3D games that are coming on Nintendo DS, it’s going basically to come down to what we can do with that power that is given. First we had a lot of problems trying to make this game for the Nintendo DS, but after we learnt to program it the right way, we were able to do it, it’s all possible.

Why did you make the players look like pink colored stars in the multiplayer modes ?

[Laughs] As I mentioned before, we were actually limited by the hardware power, we needed between 200 and 300 polygons for each character, it makes almost 1200 polygons for four characters, and we couldn’t get more then 800 polygons with textures on Nintendo DS. So we were stuck having to use something as a symbol rather then having actually real character. I’m not saying that the Nintendo DS is weak or underpowered, the system is more focused on the gameplay experience, we enjoyed developing on this hardware.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 02:32:18 AM »
A thousand??? What's that guy smoking? It does exactly 2048 triangles and those without any slowdown. I've got that number confirmed from several developers. You can even add a second pass (going to 30FPS) to get 4096 tris! Or are those idiots counting ngons? Noone counts ngons when talking about game art!

OTOH his budgets listed don't seem to leave any space for environment and NPCs but if that's what he means he should mention it.

How about using severely cut down playermodels for MP then? Quake has less than 100 per player, ~120 should be enough, especially for those simple character designs. That'd put 4 players at 480 tris for the PCs, leaving ~1500 for the rest of the scene.