Author Topic: What is the best 108Mbps+ wireless router?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
What is the best 108Mbps+ wireless router?
« on: September 18, 2005, 12:39:34 PM »
I want to upgrade to a faster wireless router so that I can take advantage of my superfast comcast cable connection.  I just want to know which router(s) are the best?

I'll even provide a link that list a bunch of these routers that I am refering to, and I searched this one like I did because there are also 125Mbps router on the list too...

Outpost.com  

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:What is the best 108Mbps+ wireless router?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:30:58 PM »
Dude, as fast as your broadband is, 108mpbs is overkill. 54mbps should suffice - you're connection cant be more than 10mbps max if you're in america, i'm pretty sure. this ain't south korea...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 05:01:51 PM »
I tested my wifi connection speed and i was only getting half of the average speed of other customers on the same service in my area.  I was connected at 54Mbps and no one else was using the internet at the time. I still download pretty fast, but why can't I get maximum speed? is it the wifi card or the router?

its a D-Link, is that a pretty good brand? do you have a preference?

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: What is the best 108Mbps+ wireless router?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 07:36:58 PM »
Define "Tested"

What do you currently use?

"Super G" is not standards-based - avoid it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 03:12:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
Define "Tested"

http://testmy.net/

What do you currently use?

Comcast 4Mb DL 768KB UL- highest speed provided & only paying $30 a month

"Super G" is not standards-based - avoid it.

Don't have it, and will now now avoid it. I assume the "Super" is marketing talk?

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:20:01 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Don't have it, and will now now avoid it. I assume the "Super" is marketing talk?

Nice speed and price, I currently have COX cable 4M/512K for $50.  I'll probably end up switching to SBC soon and their DSL service as it's hit $15/mo.  That's besides the point though...

I was more interested in what you currently use to connect the machine in question to your network.  I'm assuming it's a 802.11b device.  There can be a lot of things that prevent you from obtaining the performance your expecting, not all of the potential blame should fall on the wireless device.

1) 802.11b devices have several speeds at which the devices will associate: 1, 2, 5, 10 Mb/s  Now you could be associated at 2Mb b/c
1a) The distance between you and the router is to large, or the signal quality too low
1b) The card thinks that it's found the best rate, when in fact it could do better, try manually setting it to 5 or 10 being aware that your tolerance to range and noise decreases when you do this.
1c) In simple terms.... 802.11b access points will take the lowest common denominator when it comes to associated clients.  Thus if one client associates at 1Mb/s then all clients will use that rate.  You may not have any other clients, but your neighbor may.

2) Your network stack is not configured to work well at such high speed.  (like your MTU sizes, Advertised rwind)
This is mainly because venders have been slow to change these settings.  You'll see it a lot when people hook up older computers to a network, even some newer ones.
http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks
provided a good test.

There is also the possibility that you were testing your connection at a peek time where traffic on your ISP's local segment or the host for the testing site were congested.

Yes "Super G" is a marketing term for the non-standard extensions developed by Atheros and used in a few brands of 802.11g access points.  It doesn't play nice with standard 802.11g devices.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 08:58:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

Nice speed and price, I currently have COX cable 4M/512K for $50.  I'll probably end up switching to SBC soon and their DSL service as it's hit $15/mo.  That's besides the point though...

I was more interested in what you currently use to connect the machine in question to your network.  I'm assuming it's a 802.11b device.  There can be a lot of things that prevent you from obtaining the performance your expecting, not all of the potential blame should fall on the wireless device.

1) 802.11b devices have several speeds at which the devices will associate: 1, 2, 5, 10 Mb/s  Now you could be associated at 2Mb b/c
1a) The distance between you and the router is to large, or the signal quality too low
1b) The card thinks that it's found the best rate, when in fact it could do better, try manually setting it to 5 or 10 being aware that your tolerance to range and noise decreases when you do this.
1c) In simple terms.... 802.11b access points will take the lowest common denominator when it comes to associated clients.  Thus if one client associates at 1Mb/s then all clients will use that rate.  You may not have any other clients, but your neighbor may.

1)I have a D-Link 54mbs 802.11g
1a)distance between router and wifi card: aprox. 4-5 ft.
1b-c) don't know how to & didn't know that I could do that and can't find the manual, haven't checked the website yet though.

p.s. Thanks for the feedback and the info, its appreciated.  

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:15:28 AM »
D-Link routers are sh*t, yo. I just dled new firmware for my cousin's new MIMO router the other night, and it's a paperweight now. His old Linksys b-based router has better range and signal quality than that POS....so I suggest you stay away from those guys.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
This might be obvious, but if not I wanted to point out that wireless speed is theoretical. I'll get 25-50% more speed out of my wired computer than my wireless one. Sometimes twice as much. And there's only a separation of 5 feet from the router.  So it's not even necessarily a matter of long distance. Any wireless distance will be slower.

OT: I'll be picking up that USB adapter for the Rev.
"wow."