Author Topic: Burnout Legends for PSP...  (Read 4328 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Burnout Legends for PSP...
« on: May 08, 2005, 02:32:09 PM »
I just heard news that there would be a "best of" Burnout game for the PSP, which includes tracks and cars from the previous Burnout titles. I have looked, but I don't think it's going to be on the DS. Shafted again.... Does anyone know if it is true that the game won't be coming to the DS?

From dsnews.co.uk: CLICKY (1)!

Here's the preview: CLICKY (2)!

I read that it was made "specifically for the PSP" so I'm not optimistic. Of course, this is another one of those ports - not an original game, but it would be nice if a Burnout game was added to the DS library. If it's exclusive, then ouch~  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Burnout Legends for PSP...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 06:54:48 PM »
why do you care? it's just a remake of the first three games.  It's not like that system is getting burnout revenge or anything.  

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 07:46:07 PM »
He's probably pissed because it's just the fact that even though it's in the beginning, the DS is the market leader right now in the 3-D handhelds and they're refusing to acknowledge this.  This is (and the fact that no online play was available for the GCN) a reason why it was released on PS2 and XBOX.  

Like Cochran said "It does not make sense!!"
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 07:50:57 PM »
Burnout wouldnt work as well on the DS...  
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
RE:Burnout Legends for PSP...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 08:10:09 PM »
Same for Need for Speed, but we all see that EA was anxious enough to port that piece of garbarge as fast as they could.

I really don't know if it is garbage, I just hated the console versions.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 08:36:55 PM »
I dunno if this is the right place for this thread.

(ed comment: Another racing game?  Pass.)
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 08:39:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't think that Burnout is appropriate for DS.  It simply can't handle the crash effects as well, which is the real standout difference about the game.

Also, this thread is not appropriate for GB and DS Discussion -  moving.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »
I agree that a normal Burnout game definitely wouldn't work nearly as well on the DS, and I know that Criterion wanted to make a quick dollar by remaking the series and putting it onto the PSP at a lower cost.

However, I made this thread in the DS forum because I was just commenting on the game and I wanted to know if this was definitely only for the PSP, as I asked in my previous thread...

As I said, Maleficent, I know that it is not an original game, but I just wanted to know if it was going to be on the DS, original or not...

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 02:21:07 AM »
The PSP can handle the original assets from the Burnout games (well, with minor alterations perhaps), for the DS they'd have to start from scratch. Basically the PSP is getting another portjob.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 03:56:59 AM »
 the general public will love and praise this; yet another reason why my DS and I will be scoffed at (not like i care)
I'll shut up now...

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 06:05:03 AM »
"The PSP can handle the original assets from the Burnout games (well, with minor alterations perhaps), for the DS they'd have to start from scratch. Basically the PSP is getting another portjob."

Yeah, like Pocketeers had to do for the DS version of Need For Speed Underground 2.  Speaking of which, if you haven't seen it yet I'd highly suggest you do.  Overall it seems to have turned out absolutely fantastic.

As for a Burnout DS, I was hoping for one but at the same time I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the heck they'd pull it off.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 06:06:31 AM »
I have already placed the Burnout series under "Milked' Status. One Burnout has come out every year since it's inception. Although there has been improvements between each one they should have slowed down a bit and asked themselfs' "Have we really done anything?". I never tolerate more than one squeal per generation. If AW3 came out on GBA, I would not buy it. I brought Prime but not Echos. Not worth it.

Critorn is a one trick Pony. If they want to grow and survie they better branch out.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 07:26:21 AM »
The DS is the market leader yet this game is coming out for the PSP.  It seems pretty illogical but you have to consider that the DS is the market leader for now but doesn't have a PS2 sized lead.  In a year things may be different.  It's too close to declare a "winner".  In early 1997 the N64 was the market leader but very few games were being announced for it.  The Playstation was getting all the new games and by the end of the year it was the new market leader.  When it's this close being market leader doesn't matter.  All it takes is one big game for the PSP and the tables could turn.  So for a third party the decision for support is more based on who they think will be market leader instead of who currently is.

I'm seeing a lot more new games being announced for the PSP right now and I don't really like that trend (though both systems are pretty weak for news right now).  Burnout Legends on it's own isn't that big of a deal but I think the ease of console-to-portable porting is very attractive to third parties so Nintendo needs to get some killer app on the DS to give them a very obvious lead so third parties are more willing to put in the effort to make a new DS game.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 07:43:27 AM »
ohhhboy are tou not going to buy zelda either?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 08:01:01 AM »
Zelda would be an exception to the rule. Back on the N64 I did get both Zeldas. I only sequal this generation I have purchased would be AW2. I got this because the series is oh so completely new and I really felt AW1 was "Incomplete".

The thing with the Zeldas was that they were different. MM was at times hectic race to the finsh oppose to OOTs take your time gameplay. The new Zelda might just fall in to the same catagory of being different enough. MP:Echos was not different enough to warrent me to go buy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 11:29:04 AM »

the ease of console-to-portable porting is very attractive to third parties
(about the PSP)

Yeah, but would that favor PSP devs just porting things to the PSP as opposed to making new games.  And if it does well, then 3rd parties will again take the path of least resistance and follow suit, making the PSP the handheld for those that like PS2 games, but wish they could pay more for "less graphically intense" versions.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 12:02:02 PM »
"Yeah, but would that favor PSP devs just porting things to the PSP as opposed to making new games."

Yeah but it's not like the PSP gets ports and the DS gets new games.  It could end up being more like PSP gets ports and the DS gets nothing.  Just because a third party ports stuff to the PSP doesn't mean that they're going to also put in the effort to make new DS games.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
Either way, the game has to sell first.  And I believe it won't, because Burnout Revenge will come out around the same time, and I doubt people will lay down $300 to get burnout Legends over $50 Burnout Revenge.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 10:05:15 AM »
Unless of course they already have a PSP. I don't think anyone would buy a PSP for Burnout anyway.

Personally I like the idea of having my console titles on the go but I dislike the idea of buying special portable versions of the games and having to wait for companies to adapt the game for the handheld (i.e. even games I would buy might not be available). I'd rather buy a PS2P than a PSP.