Author Topic: My Starfox: Assault review  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Shin Gallon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
My Starfox: Assault review
« on: February 20, 2005, 10:29:25 AM »
Just beat the game on Silver diffuculty, and I must say I think the game is better than the reviews are giving it credit for. This game is actually pretty well made. Graphics are nice (aside from a problem of overused textures on the ground), and the models for the characters are very nice. The gameplay is surprisingly good. I used the Dual Stick control setup, and found that the ground missions were actually pretty fun. Namco did a good job with the Arwing stuff, too. Challenging, occasionally frustrating, but overall very much in the spirit of the series. I really felt like I was playing a Starfox game.
The music is nice, also, with some very good orchestral remixes of the traditional Starfox theme, and some good battle music. The Starwolf Team music in particular is very nice. The only real complaint I have with the game is Fox's voice. Everyone else sounds okay (I'd even go so far as to say Falco's voice is good), but Fox's is too deep, and doesn't sound anything like the voice he has in Adventures, Smash Bros. Melee or even Starfox 64. If they'd gotten the guy from Adventures I'd have been much happier.
Plus, Fox is hot. Nuff said.
Other than that, the game is a lot of fun, single player. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I'll correct that soon enough I think. I'd give the game a 8.5 out of 10.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: My Starfox: Assault review
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »
I played some of it today and I'll probably be renting it this week.

At first I absolutley hated the controls.  Not the button layout or anything, but just the way the Arwing moves made it difficult to aim.  Fortunatley by the end of the level I had gotten used to it, but it's still not that great.  Not as fluid as SF64.  Oh, and the boss totally sucked.  I only played a bit the first ground based mission, and I found it to be meh.  It certainly wasn't bad, but Fox controlled similarly to the Arwing; it just felt weird.  I only played for about a minute though, so I didn't really have enough time to adjust.

I'll probably wait for this to become a Player's Choice title or to drop to $30.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 12:49:45 PM »
(The guy who did Starfox's voice earlier this gen was Chris Seavor, who as we all know, works for Rareware... )

I personally thought the controls were a lot more realistic than Starfox 64's, as it actually felt the ship was in space...Multiplayer is some of the best I've seen this gen, in my opinion, and the bosses are really cool, thank you very much...

No problems whatsoever on my side... 9.0/10
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
RE:My Starfox: Assault review
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 06:03:21 PM »
Rent it and give it more time...I was kinda turned off the first hour or so but then I kinda found my groove with it and enjoyed the game much more. As for the controls, I've been playing a lot of Crimson Skies lately, and the flight in Assault feels kinda similar to me, so I was used to that...give it time, there's a learning curve on the game if you're trying to directly compare it to Starfox 64 (which I feel is the best in the series).

Oh, and thankfully Andross is NOT the boss in this one...if they'd pulled an Adventures and shoehorned him into the end like Rare did I would have been pissed.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:37:07 AM »
Well I'm glad to hear some more positive reviews.  I'm still on the fence for this game, but at least now I know it's not totally worthless.  I'll check it out sometime.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 06:06:32 PM »
Scary thought: Tommy Tallarico gave this game a 9.0, ZOMG Tallarico giving starfox a good score and its on the gamecube how rare is that .
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:45:38 AM »
Who?

Offline miedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:23:55 PM »
Tommy Tallarico, co-host of G4's Judgement Day and Electric Playground.

If you are planning on being a reviewer, everything you shouldn't do will be showcased by this guy.  Talk to Karl if you want to know the the best opinion on him