Author Topic: Namco announcing new Tales game for gba  (Read 3891 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Namco announcing new Tales game for gba
« on: September 09, 2004, 07:53:04 PM »
Namco announcing new Tales game for gba.  Apparently, the game will be the third in the Narikiri Dungeon RPG series on the gba.  The first two never came to the US.  But who knows, it could possibly make it to the US, if ToS does well.  Linky

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Namco announcing new Tales game for gba
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 09:22:44 AM »
Yeah, was thinking how I needed a GBA Tales game after playing ToS for a while. They could have done ToS on the GBA...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 12:01:59 PM »
I'm still waiting for ToP to be released here... ;___;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Namco announcing new Tales game for gba
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »
Guess I'm the lone ranger here, but I gotta give ToP the

Don't get me wrong, it had breakout graphics, a good story, good audio, but the almost 1 dimensional battle system didn't work. The AI was dumb as rocks, and your main character couldn't take on the bosses by himself. Couple that with dumb AI, and you got an innovative-but-just-didn't-work game. That's why I was skeptical of ToS until the very end, but after finally purchasing it a little while ago, my skeptism was gone after a few battles. My guess Namco re-tooled the formula a couple times after that.

I'll probably give ToP another chance, and hunt down the previous Tales games, and give the future ones the benefit of the doubt.

On topic, I heard something that's an off-shoot of the series, dealing with people's customes. Go figure...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:24:05 PM »
These screenshots make it look like a sequel to ToS... Although the ToS characters might be placeholders, their art style doesn't match the art style of the apparently main characters. On the other hand, they DO have ingame sprites for them... And I think I spotted that one scientist from Samurai 7 in one of those pics...

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 02:35:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I'm still waiting for ToP to be released here... ;___;

You can alyways play the original SNES version. I have the GBA ToP by the way. Too bad I don't have any spare time to play it. ;_;

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 03:08:32 PM »
Yeah, well...Too bad that wasn't released in the U.S. either... -__-

I've played ToP, and loved it...Just would like a handheld version for the road =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 07:00:25 PM »
which Tales game is coming for PSP, and does anyone know the timeline of all the Tales games, it'd be appreciated, I don't know much about the Tales series, although I've known about the games since I saw the first preview for the super famicom original back in an old Nintendo Power and salivated on the issue promptly.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 08:23:23 PM »
"Main" Tales games:
Tales of Phantasia - Super Famicom original (Japan only) (fan-translated)

Tales of Phantasia - Enhanced PlayStation remake (Japan only) (fan-translated)
Tales of Destiny - PlayStation (released in America)
Tales of Eternia - PlayStation (stupidly renamed "Tales of Destiny 2" for America)

Tales of Symphonia - GameCube (released in America) (indirect sequel to Tales of Phantasia)

Tales of Phantasia - Downgraded GBA version of the enhanced PlayStation remake (Japan only)

Tales of Destiny 2 - Actual PS2 sequel to Tales of Destiny (Japan only, thanks to SCEA)
Tales of Symphonia - PS2 port of GameCube version with "extra features" (said to be Japan only)
Tales of Rebirth - Upcoming PS2 game (expected to be Japan only) (indirect sequel to Tales of Eternia?)

Tales of Eternia - PSP port of PlayStation version (said to be slated for release in America as "Tales of Eternia" this time)

"Extra" Tales games:
Tales of Phantasia: Nakiriki Dungeon - Gameboy Color? (Japan only)
Tales of the World: Nakiriki Dungeon 2 - GameBoy Advance (Japan only)
Tales of the World: Nakiriki Dungeon 3 - The subject of this thread

Tales of Fandom - PlayStation game recognizing and poking fun at the "Tales" series fanbase (Japan only, of course)
Tales of Fandom 2 - Announced/rumored PS2 game? I'm not sure.

I think that's about all of them...  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 10:01:49 PM »
Tales of Fandom? Now THAT idea deserves an award. Are your characters overweight cross-dressing cosplayers?

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
"Main" Tales games:
Tales of Destiny - PlayStation (released in America)
Tales of Eternia - PlayStation (stupidly renamed "Tales of Destiny 2" for America)

How rare our those two?  I can't remember if I've seen them or not, even back in the day.  I need to do some researching I guess.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 06:33:26 PM »
As I remember from the late-PSX-era, Tales of Destiny was tough to find anywhere, and "Tales of Destiny 2" was abundant and cheap.

After a quick check of eBay, Tales of Destiny seems to be reasonably-available, and goes for about $25-50, when complete. "Tales of Destiny 2" seems much more abundant, but is strangely going for around $45-70 (when complete, and not including the Player's Guide, which has also gone up in value).

I'm guessing that there's increased interest in the Tales series right now because of Symphonia, which is driving up the price, and "Tales of Destiny 2" is getting favored over Tales of Destiny just because of the clearly superior cover art.

Oh yeah and, I don't know if I made it clear in my other post, but the main Phantasia, Destiny, and Eternia lines have absolutely no relation to each other, besides being made by mostly the same group of people, except for the role of "main artist", which has had a different "famous manga artist" for each series (Kosuke Fujishima is possibly the best manga artist, ever), and they all share the same "linear battle system" (except Symphonia, which invented the 3D "tri-linear battle system").
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi