Author Topic: Mafia 53: Endgame (oh finally)  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Mafia 53: Endgame (oh finally)
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »
I'm suprised to say this, but....

The Corrupted Wizard has won Mafia 53!!!!

Great job Khush, and good job townies and RAB, who tried to keep the Mafia alive all by himself. Now this is the thread where you talk about strategies, information, and rage about how bad this game was!

First off, I'd like to say some things about my role choices.

Despicable I predicted would be voted out early and that would make the game more interesting with the Godfather knocked out early.
I've seen Khush play and I know he's pretty good, so I thought he could work with the Corrupted Wizard role the best.
Dasmos I expected to be mainly inactive, which basically meant the townies had no investigator (he never did PM me).

That's about it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Mafia 53: Endgame (oh finally)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
Well I know I didn't play but here is some issues I have with the game.Firstly. If you selected all the roles for everyone that kinda makes it a game of "who would the host pick for roles" type of game. We tend to use Random.org for selecting peoples roles so it is more about figuring out who has what role.

Secondly.The delay in the game starting. I think this had to do with all the major absences this game. If you have to delay the game then before you officially start the game. Make sure to contact everyone so they know you are starting the game. This can make the wait for the game slightly longer but when the game starts everyone will be there day 1 and everything will run more smoothly. 

Thirdly. I like to have a set time that works for everyone who is playing.Dasmos in in Australia so that would give him a bad game if it can't work for him. Last game I had the days run 24 hours so that everyone could get in on the action.

Other than those issues it seems you ran the game smoothly. Also you can thank me for getting you mod powers for the Mafia forum.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »
I would like to apologise for missing this game and explain my absence. My cat who happens to like sleeping on my modem decided one night a couple of weeks ago to relieve itself on the thing. Getting a replacement was a huge ****-around and the Internet on my shitty phone wouldn't allow me to read PMs or posts so it was useless as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:32:23 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »
He played this stinking city like a harp from hell!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
He played this stinking city like a harp from hell!
Not a Harry Potter reference but it is fitting for Khushrenada's play. Batman returns quote by The Penguin
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
Kinda bummed that I called it day two but didn't follow through with a vote.  Have to trust my gut next time.

*Since Dasmos was the 2nd to last to get voted off should his title change to 2nd best at Mafia?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
I must be the worst player in history. Who else can inadvertently prove they're a townie, correctly identify the killer, and still end up losing?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »
As I said earlier, I really don't know much about Harry Potter. But one thing I am aware of is that non-magic people are called muggles. Even though I never took a role, in my mind, I was always just a generic muggle. With no magic to aid me, I had to use my brain to beat these around me.

Thank you small Deviant Art pic I found conveying my thoughts exactly.

And now, my thoughts on the game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:17 AM »
The Killer's Story

I've played games before where it's been rough going as far the hosting goes so that isn't as much an issue for me as it used to be. In fact, I often seem to do a bit better in those situations which is odd.

For the first time ever, I got the killer role. I think the only role I've now yet to play is the doctor role. That was interesting but I was worried about being discovered right away. In fact, the killer role might be the most stressful role I've ever played. There are so many numerous threats to it. The mafia could hit you, the investigator could discover you, the townies will hunt you. As well, you and the mafia could make the same hit, slowing down the speed at which you could progress to the finish. The only way to win is to saty alive until the end. I've always known the obstacles of the role but playing it, I really felt the pressures of the role.

I knew the one benefit to my laying low for awhile would be eliminating the mafia. And to that, I played true. I was the only to have a hand in eliminating the whole mafia. Thanks to the stevey hit, no one else could claim that. I also had good fortune in how the roles were handed out.

Day 1

When I looked over the players list, I finally decided to make stevey my first hit. Normally, if I mafia or a townie, I leave stevey alone. Generally, he does the same to me. But in this case, I was worried about the townie detective and figured that if anyone was going to investigate me on day 1, he'd be the most likely candidate. So, I eliminated him and got lucky to find out he was the mafia investigator. I was more fortunate that Despicable was the godfather and no hit was made as well thereby giving me immunity for the night.

Day 2

On day 2, I was hoping to eliminate the last mafia member and thereby give myself a free pass for every night thereafter and hopefully hit the investigator that night. I was also on the lookout for any sign of a townie alliance or that I might have been investigated. With the godfather dead, anyone coming up a townie could be trusted. As well, if I was investigated, someone may try to start a vote against me. In the meantime, I based the day 1 vote on my hopefully finding the last mafia member. RABicle's non-participation kept him off my radar because of that. I wanted to start a vote against someone else but with no one else budging I figured I'd rather make sure someone is eliminated and keep picking off the townie numbers so I choose Ceric who I thought had a better chance of having a role like doctor or investigator.

It's a good thing I made a big deal about helping RABicle and him whacking me that same night because he sent me a message saying that because of my post, if the mafia hit me, they could try to frame him the next day. I don't know if I was RAB's target that night and he changed his mind because of my post but regardless I wasn't hit that night and he helped eliminate another townie. I debated hitting Mop it up because she was the player I most worried about. I knew that if there was one player that would keep their guard around me, it would be her. But I figured best to let sleeping dogs lie. I was very sure the detective would be an active player so best to go after them. The reason being that Silenced sent out the roles 3 days before the game started. In fact, MaryJane signed up after the roles had gone out. Since I had a role, I kept checking everyday for the game to start. RAB also posted for Silenced to send out the roles and get a firm date for the game after the roles were handed out. I assumed that RAB had no role because of it and was therefore not dangerous like MaryJane.

I hit JRLibrarian since I couldn't get him voted out earlier and I know he can have good longevity in these games if left unchecked. See DC Comics Mafia for example. He's hard to read and I didn't think the mafia would hit him. Plus, I was already formulating a plan in my mind to get apdude voted out by accusing him of being the killer and trying to frame me. He had dared to wonder if I might be the killer and that could not do. I looked up stevey's vote of Snape and saw it was his roleplay character and so things just started building up in my mind of how I could make a convincing arguement against him if people started getting suspicious of me. Alas, RAB offed him and I had to start thinking up a new back-up plan.

Day 3

With the active townies now getting depleted, I worried about not having enough cover. Keeping RAB around helped meant I would have another high-profile player to help hide with a bit but I still needed a few of the active townies around. Since I was not seeing any signs of the investigator in the active townies, I worried that one of the non-playing fringe players could be mafia. I decided to go after them and get the focus away from the living players ala myself for a moment. I wondered if this would be a good chance to target Mop it up and eliminate that potential threat but I went after GP instead. The only reason being that one time she was godfather and never targetted me the whole game for whatever reason and I felt I could use that. But then Mop it up did show up and right away started asking why I was alive. Now, it is a good question. I'll admit it. I hate it but it is what it is. What I really hate is that I've been a townie for quite a few games and done well in them and won a few times or got darned close. I knew that if I won this game as the killer, it was going to put me back into that old axiom that if Khushrenada is alive past day 2, he must be a guilty party. But darn it, I've built up some townie points and I'm going to use them. I left the vote alone. With it between Mop and GP, it didn't matter to me who went home, I just didn't want a tie and Sundoulos helped break it.

I whacked MaryJane becuase I was running out of people who could be the investigator or mafia. He did vote with Despicable on Day 1 and then voted Shyguy on Day 2 who I was sure was a townie or innocent from the beginning because of his post in the sign-up thread welcoming MaryJane after roles had been handed out. The other thing is that with his random different vote everyday he could be the investigator and maybe had a clue. Maybe I was wrong about him being a townie. If he did turn up to be investigator, maybe I could use his votes to go after another townie the next day. I got another free pass of safety that night thanks to RAB's mistake.

Day 4

On day 4, I checked the timestamps. Everyone had been on that day except Dasmos but with RAB's non-participation, he seemed the most logical choice so I just got the ball rolling on the vote early. By this time, I was highly convince that Dasmos was the investigator because for no one to have outed me at this point seemed highly unlikely. I was pretty sure Mop it up was a townie and thus hadn't realized the game has started. Sundoulos helped make the final vote to kill Despicable Day 1 so the last mafia member had to be Shyguy or RAB and I was pretty sure Shyguy was innocent. So, it had to be RAB. Best of all, it would give me the optimum final day. Myself and 3 other players giving me the most room to hide and accuse someone. But who did I want to face on the final day? That final hurdle.

In order to get some suspicion of myself, I posted a big post for the doctor to protect me. I was afraid the mafia would whack me as I was getting very close to my goal. So, I threw out the idea of me being the investigator and then backed away from that thought. But I did so in the hopes that it might cause to people to be suspicious of me, not so much as the killer or mafia but as maybe being the detective and trying to slyly get the word out there.

The plan then formed in my mind that maybe I could pretend to be the investigator on the final day. Of course, this meant leaving Dasmos alone and I really wanted to whack him. I was fine losing on the last day if it came to that because Shyguy and Mop it up are good players. I just would hate to see Dasmos get the win despite not playing. Also, if he did show up on the last day, he could expose my scheme. Mop it up really didn't seem to be trusting me so I wondered if I should whack her but that against it since leaving her alive might make her think I wasn't the killer since she had been suspicious of me and nothing happened to her. Plus, like I mentioned, I was pretty sure she was a townie and my plan at the time hinged on my eliminating the Auror. So, that left Sundoulos and Shyguy. Sundoulos had voted with me each day. Would he do so again on the last day? Shyguy hadn't made a move against me and I was still thinking he was just a townie from his post in the sign-up thread. Plus, with Dasmos being there on the last day, I needed two other people I was sure would vote. Sundoulos had missed a couple days. So, I whacked him.

Day 5

I checked in Saturday and found he was not the Auror and RAB was mafia. Now, my plan originally was to contact both Shyguy and Mop it up and tell them I was the investigator and investigated them and saw they were a townie and therefore the other person must be the killer. But it didn't seem that believable. I also didn't want to wait too long because if my timestamp was being checked and I was being watched, the players would know I hadn't been on before and so I would only have known the results of investigation by logging on at that time. To not say anything for awhile might be suspicious. So, I rolled the dice and told Shyguy I investigated him and found him to be the Auror and that leaves Mop it up as the killer. I thought about contacting Mop it up and telling her something else but I didn't think she'd buy it and I didn't want the two of them comparing notes. I had to hope I was right. If Shyguy didn't have that role, I was going to be exposed.

I then decided to take care of the other wildcard Dasmos and sent him a message saying that he was the only player I could trust in the game due to his abscence and that I was the Auror. Hopefully, if he showed up, he would team up with me and Shyguy or at least have a doubt before voting against me. After I sent my messages, I realized that I needed to get ready for a possible fight against Mop it up. I might need to do more convincing for Shyguy as well. Fortunately, I knew that I could say whatever I wanted about the dead players at this point and not fear any contradictions since the dead players can't talk. I realized that I needed to look like a somewhat credible investigator because, well, I'm Khushrenada and expected to be good. Bad investigations would make it seem like I was lying. I didn't want to post anything to soon to give Mop it up much chance of counterattack either.

Fortunately, Shyguy voted. I told him I'd vote late that night. I then went to a family supper. On the way there, I worked out my investigation timeline and story. When the supper wrapped up, I logged on to post my vote against Mop it up and make my investigator claim only to find Silenced locked the thread super early. I was stunned. Fortunately, Mop it up never had the chance to vote or who knows what would have happened in a tie. I posted my investigator story anyways because I worked hard on it and I liked it. I thought it was good and might keep some of the dead players guessing. Plus, I wanted Mop it up to know that I would have voted against her making it a 2 on 1 if we had the normal voting time like before. All that was left was the last hit and I almost made a big mistake here. I originally put the hit on Dasmos to whack his non-participation and let Shyguy live in my brave new world. His reward for helping me. But I realized the next day me error. Shyguy could protect Dasmos as a last ditch effort to save himself if he didn't trust me thereby extending the game one more day with me fully exposed. So, I quickly messaged Silenced and told him to whack Shyguy. Then I realized that it was never explained if Shyguy could protect himself or not. Suddenly, the last hit had become a game of chicken. I went on the basis that doctors can not usually protect themselves and kept the hit on Shyguy. With a couple days passing and no new day posted, I figured I was safe since Silenced would have known about the pm's sent Saturday and I figured he probably thought it was over and hadn't bothered to check back because of it.

I find out today that wasn't quite the case. But, it all worked out in the end and for the first time ever, the killer has won a TRADITIONAL game of mafia.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:51:22 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:23:52 AM »
One last thought. When Shyguy posted that he was going to abstain from private messaging, I knew that idea had been thrown out a lot by players in previous games and I know I'm one of the biggest users when it comes to private messages in a game. Plus, as the killer, I wanted to lie low and I didn't want to see the townies start working together. Plus, chances were I wouldn't last too long. With no Thatguy or other players I usually chat up, I thought I'd take up the challenge too. It seemed like the perfect game to do so. Of course, I had to send my hits to Silenced but I don't view that as counting since it is required by the role. In the end, I was almost successful. I ended up sending two messages. The first came at the start of Day 3 and it was a reply to a message RAB sent me. The second was Day 5 when I told Shyguy I was the investigator. The first message was irrelavent but the second one sealed the game. I'm not sure I could ever leave pm's. That said, it's the fewest messages I've ever sent in a mafia game and I've been killed off on Day 1 a lot of times. New record!

That's another reason for some of my long and ranting posts. By not sending out messages, I posted more in the day threads to try and let people what was going on with me. How many messages did other players send?

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:16:56 AM »
As to your question on messages, I just sent one this game.  It was on day one when everyone was voting against me.  I asked Ceric and JRlibrarian to switch their votes to Dispicable since I figured their votes were just jokes since they voted for me right out of the block.  Dispicable seemed too eger to jump on the bandwagon so early so I guessed he was mafia.  Fortunatly so did 4 others.  I counted getting out of day 1 alive as a victory.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:48 AM »
I protected Khush like three times. :(

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
Khushrenada you aren't the first to be the winner as the killer. Just the first in a traditional game. EasyCure was the MVP in the hotness Mafia game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »
Khushrenada you aren't the first to be the winner as the killer. Just the first in a traditional game. EasyCure was the MVP in the hotness Mafia game.

...there was also my awesome Mature Mafia where everyone was the killer. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »

...there was also my awesome Mature Mafia where everyone was the killer. :D
Didn't Bustin98 win that game? I know it came down to whoever sent in the hit to you first. I know Easycure was one of the last in the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
LOL. Yes, and I got a VC game out of it. Good times.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »
Wow the game is over already? I didn't realize it even started I got no message from the host. Every other game I've been apart of the host sent messages to everyone, townies and mafia alike. I kind of spaced out on the game since it took so long to get off the ground so wasn't paying attention to the mafia board.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
I'm glad it was a muggle who killed all of us fancy-pants occultists. It's like Batman taking down the Justice League.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »

True but that game is listed as townie win. The killer won with the townies. Then from the remaining players he was given the MVP vote and declared winner of the pagent. It wasn't like a normal game where the townies would have to eliminate the killer to win. But good memory on that one. I forgot about that.

I did remember about Unclebob's game and mentioned that to Mop it up after the game when we were talking. But again, when every player is the killer, of course it is going to be a killer role that wins.

But fine, I'll change the statement to a traditional game of mafia.

As for Shyguy, thanks for the protections I just wish it was under different circumstances. It has always been joked about that if the doctor protects me, I'll be mafia and so it seems I can never get protection. There are so many games where I am innocent and ask for the doctors help and get nothing. Finally, the doctor helps me and I have to be guilty. Terribly sorry but please don't hold it against me for future games where I probably will be on your side.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:21 PM »
But then Mop it up did show up and right away started asking why I was alive. Now, it is a good question. I'll admit it. I hate it but it is what it is. What I really hate is that I've been a townie for quite a few games and done well in them and won a few times or got darned close.
I didn't just start accusing you for no reason, I felt that your logic for trying to vote out GoldenPhoenix (and inactive players in general) was not a good plan. The remaining Mafia player and killer were obviously active players and so from the results it was pretty clear they were playing the game. In the last game we were both townies and we ended up winning that one, now didn't we? Well, I don't think you made it to the end, but I still worked with you. Of course I'm always going to be reserved when talking with you since you are a master schemer, but if I have no reason to suspect you then I don't accuse you of anything.