Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764558 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2050 on: April 15, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
I'll sell it to you for what I paid and take a loss on the shipping. It'll be around $15ish, if interested, lemme know.

Only Mario for now.  I have a friend who sent me a set (thus, the prototype coin).  You probably won't find them in stores yet, but you can order them direct:
https://enterplay-store.myshopify.com/products/presale-super-mario-challenge-coins.

No YouTube channel for me.  But I want to open a Nintendo museum someday. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 15, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
I tracked down a Switch Pro Controller and snagged it for myself so I'll have it when I get the Switch itself. It seems like a nice controller. I might try hooking it up with my android phone to actually try it out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2052 on: April 15, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
I just downloaded Monster Hunter Generations so I need to get used to all the new additions Generations has from 4U.

We should play soon then! I got Gen and stalled around HR3. I need hunting buddies to keep me going.

Maybe some time in the future. I need to play a bit more.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 15, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
I made a modern destroyer all right. It has a fair bit of fire power and it is very fancy but this is a game of big guns and I don't have much armour. An Iowa class battle ship will wreak you a massive number of kilometres away. My armour piercing Railgun might as well be a BB gun. I might need to some cruise missiles as laser guidance is unlikely to track that far out.

My ship is great at killing aircraft, airships and it will win against most of it's own class. I haven't spawn a space ship yet but the rail gun should reach them and I did make a missile that might reach that high.

It has a pretty fun quirk where when it takes enough damage the ship sinks like a submarine which provides some level of protection against gun fire while my guns are high velocity enough to fire back.

Own it repairs enough it floats right back up with a bit of manual control to get the orientation right.

I need going to need a bigger boat. Just bigger anything.

I'll sell it to you for what I paid and take a loss on the shipping. It'll be around $15ish, if interested, lemme know.

Only Mario for now.  I have a friend who sent me a set (thus, the prototype coin).  You probably won't find them in stores yet, but you can order them direct:
https://enterplay-store.myshopify.com/products/presale-super-mario-challenge-coins.

No YouTube channel for me.  But I want to open a Nintendo museum someday. ;)
That is a bit of a shame, I am sure you could do a couple minutes a week and would be smashing.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 15, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »
The mail man hates me today.

http://imgur.com/gallery/GAiUs

Wow! Love the MH Amiibo and Challenge Coins... but what exactly are challenge coins?  They don't seem to have any purpose other than being cool little swag?

Thanks for sharing the photos.
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: April 15, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
Pretty much swag.  I mean, much neater than just plain trading cards, at least.  They're designed so that you can play your own games that you make up with them though.  Apparently, there are all kinds of them and you can play with others.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 16, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
Originally challenge coins were given out to AA members to remind them of their successes in quitting alcohol. I think they are supposed to be able to present them to other members in a way to encourage each other to keep off alcohol.

They can also be given out for other groups as a celebration of membership. My work gives coins out to war vets as a thanks for your service. I also have one given out by the company's info security department, meant to remind employees to be safe with confidential data.

I am told that the "challenge" part is also representative of a game. If you present the coin to another member they owe you a drink/meal if they cannot present their own coin. I have a buddy on the info security team and I playfully tossed out my coin when a group of us were at a restaurant for lunch, and he didn't have his, so he paid for my lunch! I thought he'd just buy my drink but turns out he is a very honorable guy and went all-out.

From the site UncleBob linked to for the coins:
Challenge coins are built on a military tradition of receiving a challenge coin in recognition of achievements from academics to heroism. Among a group that has received coins, one person slams their coin down and the last to pull out their coin has to pay or clean the barracks – the last to play has to pay!
Today that tradition has evolved far beyond the military.  Presidents, representatives, police departments, clubs, and more have their own challenge coins.  With Challenge Mint coins you can create your own challenges using the shapes, colors, and numbers that are on each coin!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:13:25 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 16, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
Had never seen these coins either, the Wario one is my favourite! Really cool haul , you could fill a big shelf with all of that haha.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 19, 2017, 03:59:38 AM »
I decided to get a little odd end out of the way. You see I have a fully functional Battery Backup system from 2004 that's currently basically being used as a power strip. I literally just tested the unit and the battery backup is still functional. Unfortunately the data cable which would allow a PC to communicate with the backup system has gone missing, so I decided to order a new one so I can use the battery backup system with all of the other stuff I ordered.

I elected to use the Phanteks Eclipse Series P400S Silent Edition, Steel ATX Mid Tower Case with this PC build.

I elected to go for a 120gb SSD for the OS and I had to go for the internal WiFi card since this thing's gonna be hooked up to TV which doesn't give me any options for the preferred option of using ethernet. I also had to shell out way more money than I feel like I should have had to for Windows 10.

EDIT: I wound up canceling the whole thing due to various reasons.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 19, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
I just downloaded Monster Hunter Generations so I need to get used to all the new additions Generations has from 4U.
We should play soon then! I got Gen and stalled around HR3. I need hunting buddies to keep me going.
We gotta get the old crew back together! Does GK still come around here?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 19, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
I have him as a friend on Steam. I'll reach out tonight and see if we can pull him back in.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 19, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
By "pull him back in," do you mean "submit tribute to the 2% gods?"
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 19, 2017, 09:17:25 PM »
By "pull him back in," do you mean "submit tribute to the 2% gods?"

Okay, that's enough of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 19, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
By "enough of," do you mean "...?"

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 03, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
So I'm not sure how many people still care about GameCube, but for whatever reason prices for both GC soft and hardware have been steadily rising in my area for a while now.

A year or two ago I had to get a new Cube because the purple one was getting antsy and found a silver one for about 15 bucks (no cables). I've been meaning to get a back-up one for a while now, since there's a few large RPGs on the system I still wanna complete one day. Picked up a neat set today, it's one of those newer Pearl coloured ones, when they took off the digital output. That one cost me 25$ but it's missing one of the bottom lids and obviously no cables/controller etc either.

Figured I might as well get a game along with it to chuck on the backlog pile since they also had a nice copy of Soul Calibur II laying around. Tried it for a bit and it plays pretty well. Remember how Mortal Kombat V on the GameCube didn't support the analog stick, so you were stuck with the GC's awful d-pad? Luckily that's not the case here, plus the character designs are just a tad less ugly. Looks like a decent timewaster. :)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 03, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
So I'm not sure how many people still care about GameCube, but for whatever reason prices for both GC soft and hardware have been steadily rising in my area for a while now.

A year or two ago I had to get a new Cube because the purple one was getting antsy and found a silver one for about 15 bucks (no cables). I've been meaning to get a back-up one for a while now, since there's a few large RPGs on the system I still wanna complete one day. Picked up a neat set today, it's one of those newer Pearl coloured ones, when they took off the digital output. That one cost me 25$ but it's missing one of the bottom lids and obviously no cables/controller etc either.

Figured I might as well get a game along with it to chuck on the backlog pile since they also had a nice copy of Soul Calibur II laying around. Tried it for a bit and it plays pretty well. Remember how Mortal Kombat V on the GameCube didn't support the analog stick, so you were stuck with the GC's awful d-pad? Luckily that's not the case here, plus the character designs are just a tad less ugly. Looks like a decent timewaster. :)

I laid a LOT of time in Soul Calibur II on Gamecube back in the day, especially since they had Link as a playable character.  Arguably the BEST Soul Calibur game.

Didn't realize gamecube stuff was creeping up in cost.  Might need to peek at the local game stores to see what they're trying to get for theirs.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 03, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »
It isn't just you, GameCube prices in general have been on the rise for at least a few years now. It seems to start once a system is two generations old, which for GCN happened back in 2012. It's a shame too, there are still a few more games for GCN I wouldn't mind having, but the prices are beyond what I'd be willing to pay.

I remember a while back getting Soul Calibur II from a GameStop. The disc was a little messed up, but the game mostly worked fine... except that it would crash whenever Link was selected. And if I can use Link, then what's the freakin' point?! Sadly, they didn't have another copy so I had to return it, and never did find another one.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 03, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
At this point, there are only about 7 GameCube games I'm still looking for and would want to add to my collection. I've found the secondhand used market to still be pretty reasonable in price compared to eBay but I have made a few eBay purchases in the past for games I just couldn't find secondhand like Ikaruga and Cubivore. Most expensive game I've bought is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. There were times I could have bought it for $80-90 but put it off however the price has continued increasing. I did manage to buy it late last year for $115 which is pretty pricey for any game but it seemed to be a deal since I see it being sold for around $130.00 lately. The remaining games I'm looking for aren't anything too special and I'm not worried about any of them jumping up to Fire Emblem prices but I'm always surprised to see how much a game has gone up in price a year or two after I've bought them.

I was at a used games store a couple years and bought Baten Kaitos Origins for $60.00. I was revisiting this store last week and they had another copy they were selling of it but this time it was at $80.00. There are other games that have gone up quite a bit. F-Zero GX was at $60.00. I bought that game twice at $20.00 each. One for myself and one for a friend. I'm surprised it is now selling for that much. I'm not sure how game prices get set like this but I suppose it comes from rarity and how many quantities of the game are still being sold on the market. I think eBay is also a factor. People compare what others are selling it for on that market and price it around that point
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 03, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
I have to pick up a PSN card at some point to actually MAKE this purchase, but I thought I'd let you know...

Until May 9th, Mega Man Legends, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, and Mega Man 8 are 80% off on PSN!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2069 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
We got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, of course! Wanting to get Puyo Puyo Tetris, but that may have to wait for a little while. I also want some PS4 games that released in the first quarter of the year, one after the other!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 03, 2017, 11:56:06 PM »
Tumbleseed.

It is very frustrating at first and first few hours i just felt annoyed at that cumbersome gimmick of indirect control over the movement of the seed.

But on second try it felt much better and i even managed to get to second area.

And even with frustration games still looks and sound cool and has that addicting factor that makes you play it again and again.

also bought Etrian Odyssey 4 with My Nintendo discount (8 euros) but i am not when i will get to it since a) there are like 12+ of other games i need to finish on 3ds alone b) my SD card is full anyway so i can't even download it for now.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 04, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »
It isn't just you, GameCube prices in general have been on the rise for at least a few years now. It seems to start once a system is two generations old, which for GCN happened back in 2012. It's a shame too, there are still a few more games for GCN I wouldn't mind having, but the prices are beyond what I'd be willing to pay.

So by that logic, Wii and DS prizes are set to rise in a few years for sure? Makes sense I guess. Luckily I've picked up pretty much everything on GameCube I have an interest in over the years. Only Chibi-Robo and Cubivore are missing really, but I've given up on those. There's a few more like that Mario Baseball game, Chaos Field (a shmup) and TubeSlider (worst name ever) which I've always had a passing interest in, but not enough to really pony up the cash. Especially with Baten Kaitos 1, Skies of Arcadia, and Lost Kingdoms 2 still sitting untouched.
GC was such a great system, even third party support was decent!

At this point, there are only about 7 GameCube games I'm still looking for and would want to add to my collection. I've found the secondhand used market to still be pretty reasonable in price compared to eBay but I have made a few eBay purchases in the past for games I just couldn't find secondhand like Ikaruga and Cubivore.

Out of curiosity, what're the last few you're eyeing? I've still not gotten past level 4 in Ikaruga by the way, that game is DIFFICULT haha. F-Zero ditto, but at least I was able to finish the cups there. Story mode be damned.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 04, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »
Out of curiosity, what're the last few you're eyeing? I've still not gotten past level 4 in Ikaruga by the way, that game is DIFFICULT haha. F-Zero ditto, but at least I was able to finish the cups there. Story mode be damned.

You can find them listed on my Backloggery page's wishlist but since you asked, prepare to be underwhelmed!

1. Donkey Konga 2 (with Bongos) thereby giving me 4 sets of Bongos and completing the multiplayer potential that will probably never be realized.
2. Hello Kitty Roller Rescue
3. Mario Power Tennis
4. P.N.03
5. Pacman VS
6. Superman: Shadows of Apokolips
7. Shadow the Hedgehog

Quite the list of titles. I'm afraid if I don't act soon than they may get too pricey for me to ever buy.  :P  ;)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 05, 2017, 01:00:37 AM »
Play P.N.03, Khushrenada. I have a feeling you don't quite have enough craziness in your life.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 05, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »
Play P.N.03, Khushrenada. I have a feeling you don't quite have enough craziness in your life.

Seconding this. Also the game is secretly pretty decent and has style for days. I got it for 5 bucks so it's probably the cheapest one to find of those too, although why anyone is hanging on to Shadow the Hedgehog is beyond me haha. Is it genuine curiosity, or does your interest stem from that B-movie appeal of wanting to see just how bad things can get?