Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764119 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1875 on: September 20, 2016, 01:02:54 AM »
Rive (Steam):

Since it's not coming on Wii U (in foreseeable future anyway), i bought it on Steam.

Frenetic run and gun action, shooty explodey fun. You die often because the game die gets too intense for it's own good. This might be an annoyance in one-life mode, but for now it doesn't really matter.

You are mostly running and jumping around but there are also sequences where you are inside Jungle Beat-like bubbles and have full flying controls, then the game turns into basically dual stick shooter:

Jumping is put on left trigger button which is unorthodox but makes totally sense -- with your right thumb reserved exclusively for shooting you just can't put jump on A.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: September 20, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
Mmm... jealous. Rive was a hugely anticipated game for me, so not coming (probably) to Wii U is a huge blow.
Watched some video of the game recently, and it looks fantastic.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: September 20, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
I just bought a **** ton of 3DS VC games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: September 20, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »
There's some pretty good ones in there, at least. Mario Tennis is my favorite pre-GBA handheld game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: September 23, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
Wii pickup night!  Grabbed a few games that were either recommended, upgrades over games I already had, or things that had intrigued me. The first four were $20 together, taxes in. The last game was a bit more expensive...

PES 2013 (Wii) - I already owned PES 2008, but figured that if I'm collecting Wii games then it's worth grabbing the most recent version of the game instead. Also didn't this with Tiger Woods a little while back.
We Ski (Wii) - Balance board games are actually a blast to play. I've got the Shawn White games and really enjoy them, and even though I'd rather get Wii Ski & Snowboard this is a suitable game since it only cost a few bucks.
Thrillville: Off the Rails (Wii) - Recommended by someone I trust.  :)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Wii U) - Since I own the first game, figured I might as well get this too. Didn't review well, but my expectations are low going in and it was cheap.

Rodea: The Sky Soldier (Wii/Wii U) - Honestly don't care about the Wii U game, but was keen to try this Wii version. Paid $30 CAD, which is the cheapest I've seen the game here. Hoping to sell the Wii U disc to recoup a few dollars.

The list of games I've still interested in is getting wonderfully short. On the other hand, my shelf is full so I need to figure out what to do with the dozen that don't fit...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:50:37 PM by ejamer »

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: September 30, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
I picked up Super Castlevania IV and Mega Man X for the 3DS VC. I'm new to both games. I'm playing through Dracula's Curse now and am aiming to finish that and IV by the end of October.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: September 30, 2016, 06:41:45 PM »
Would like to hear of the last two are. I picked up Unleashed 2 for a good price this summer but have yet to finish the first so I am curious if this is an improvement.

I want the Wii Sky Soldier as well so I'd like to hear if t is worth the $30 price before I dive in to it. Though I may just nab it anyways and if I decide it isn't worth it I could sell it in a year or so and make a tidy profit.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
Would like to hear of the last two are. I picked up Unleashed 2 for a good price this summer but have yet to finish the first so I am curious if this is an improvement.

I want the Wii Sky Soldier as well so I'd like to hear if t is worth the $30 price before I dive in to it. Though I may just nab it anyways and if I decide it isn't worth it I could sell it in a year or so and make a tidy profit.

Very early impressions on both:

Unleashed 2 started out mediocre. I didn't finish the first game so only played the introduction here and ignored any story... but it felt like more of the same early on. Maybe things improve, but I'm not counting on it. (This is ok with me, and for the price I paid I'm happy just to see how the story goes.)

Sky Soldier felt really good to play. It's definitely got a "kiddy" vibe but the controls are smooth and the game is fun. Ask yourself this question: "What if a 3D Sonic game and a cool on-rails shooter had a baby?"  If that sounds weirdly appealing then this game is all kinds of awesome. If you run screaming... well, it's probably a bad comparison, but I'd still approach with some caution.

I'm not sure that it's worth $30 because I don't know how deep the controls get or how long the game lasts (assuming not very, on both counts) but I'm very pleased to own it and don't have any regrets at dropping the cash. Haven't bothered trying the Wii U version, and not sure I want to... this is clearly built to use pointer controls.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:25:58 PM by ejamer »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:59 PM »
Just checked and Rodea is less than @0 on Amazon so I may just jump on it with my next splurge.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
So found someone giving away some Guitar Hero World Tour (GHWT) Wii instruments for free. They just wanted to reclaim space in their garage, and I was happy to take the instruments off their hands.

Kind of a mixed bag though: only the drums and mic are from GHWT, the two guitars are from Rock Band. Wii games had no cross-compatibility, so that's a bit limiting.  Also, the drums need new wires for the cymbals - the old wires were crumbling and one was broken.

Still a good deal though. The replacement wires will only cost a few dollars and aren't that hard to install; the Rock Band guitars are nice upgrades for the older ones I already owned; and drums/singing are the only parts of the game I enjoy anyway.  Plus it's all free - so gift horse and all that.

I bought the GHWT game separately, and expect to spend another $6 or so for replacement wiring.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: October 05, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »
So against my better judgement I bought some DS games, including Elite Beat Agents, Sonic Rush, and that Spider Man game that Johnny kept talking about on the podcast from my local gamestop because I thought they had this month's Pokémon distribution. My backlog is wailing in terror.

I also picked up some 3DS game cases based on the design of those Club Nintendo ones a few years back. Apparently they're really nice.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:26:10 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: October 06, 2016, 12:05:43 AM »

I also picked up some 3DS game cases based on the design of those Club Nintendo ones a few years back. Apparently they're really nice.

Nice!  I have 4 similar cases from Club Nintendo, and consider them one of the best gifts I was able to get during the duration of the program.  Let us know what the build quality is like when you get them!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: October 07, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
I would love to get another of those game cases. Should have bought more before the program ended. I'll pick some up as well.

Wish it could allow you to insert the cover sleeves so I could use another of those nice covers that came with the Club Nintendo version.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:54:49 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: October 07, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »
Wish it could allow you to insert the cover sleeves so I could use another of those nice covers that came with the Club Nintendo version.

That would be ideal - especially since the Club Nintendo ones came with extra covers each time.
I prefer the two-tone cases, but it looks like they are out of stock now.

I should be ok anyway: still have 3 empty game slots in my cases, and only have plans to buy 2 more games. Anything more and it will be time to make some choices about what to keep.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: October 07, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
I just picked up an original Xbox console and 22 games plus a ton of PS2 and Wii stuff. I haven't got anywhere near the time to sort through them all and make a list but mostly big name stuff on Xbox, Halo, Halo 2, Doom 3, Mech Assault, Blinx, Fable, Morrowind, all the Splinter Cell games, stuff like that.

PS2 I grabbed a ton of classic arcade collections, also a few PS1 retro arcade remakes like the Asteroids, Missile Command, Frogger, etc, games, and Wii, I listed the Wii games in another thread. PS4 I grabbed a Tales game Zestiria or something like that, and that J-allstars fighting game, they were cheap.

I also bought a GBA a couple months ago and have gone all in collecting original GB and game boy color games, I am already up to just over 20. Mostly crap right now, Tetris, Pac-Man, Pac-Man collection, Tetris DX, the Donkey Kong Land, all of the Game & Watch games, stuff like that nothing too special, ordered the Super Mario Land games waiting on those to arrive, and I spend $100 each on Wii U virtual console, Wii virtual console and PS3 store this last month.

My boss gave me a raise and the credit card companies have been giving me credit lately so I have been spending a lot more than usual.

Right now I am putting my focus on original Xbox, PS2, Wii and pre-GBA Game Boy stuff.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: October 09, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »
But recently I saw the Pinbox 3000 KickStarter: 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/974196497/pinbox-3000

Update:  Against high odds, the Pinbox 3000 project has funded!  Why mention it here? There is a pretty decent "early bird" discount still available if you just want a single unit ($28, which is $10 off the normal price). Anyone who thought it looked interested, now is about as good a chance as you'll probably ever get to buy-in.

Better yet - if you know a group of 4 people that want to get in you can basically get one extra unit free because they did a promotion where if you convince 3 others to buy and send a PM with your name. Check the older updates for details if that's something that appeals to you. As a group buy, that would bring the shared price down $112 for 5 units.

I'm thrilled this has funded, and backed it pretty heavily. Dreaming of creating my very own Monster Hunter table, or maybe a Pikmin themed table. Viva la pinball!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1891 on: October 09, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »
We bought Paper Mario: Color Splash, which I'm totes excited to play! ...Ugh, why did I say "totes"? Anyway, if I don't have to use a guide for this one like I HAD to to enjoy Sticker Star, which I still liked, then this will be a superior game. Its humor and writing seems better from the vids I've seen.

My brother got the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack. I've played the first via digital, but I'm going to play through both for fun and to get caught up on the first game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: October 12, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »
I, too, was totes excited when picking up Paper Mario Color Splash!
However, got totally suckered in by this crazy sale they had on... Picked up quite a stack: Red Steel 2, Madworld and Speed Racer for the Wii, Hybrid Heaven for N64, Phantasy Star Online III for Gamecube and the original Wave Race for GameBoy. They were all crazy cheap (aside Paper Mario obvs), is how I rationalise this to myself, but I feel like Imma need to join the backlog thread here too haha.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
Looks like Amazon is getting rid of their Star Fox Zero stock, because I was able to order it for $23 today.  I was on the fence about the game, but $23 seems like a good try it price for me.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: October 13, 2016, 09:14:45 AM »
Looks like Amazon is getting rid of their Star Fox Zero stock, because I was able to order it for $23 today.  I was on the fence about the game, but $23 seems like a good try it price for me.

Nice, and with the bonus game packed in too!

I'd like to get that set eventually. Unfortunately, Amazon.ca pricing is $70+tax - but at least shipping is free!
Sometimes I wonder if Amazon believes that Canadians are mathematically challenged.
 :'(

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
Picked up quite a stack: Red Steel 2, Madworld and Speed Racer for the Wii

Those are solid titles.

Sometimes if I've had a particularly lousy day and I am still pissed off by the time I get home, I like to throw in MadWorld and have a good time taking out my frustrations with a bit of the ol' ultra-violence. Works like a charm! Messing around with more creative kills is fun and gets you more (useless) points!

Red Steel 2 is fun in short bursts too. The art direction is great and it is one of the best implementations of Wii Motion +.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: October 14, 2016, 10:45:39 PM »
I picked up Panzer Dragoon Orta and Destroy All Humans for Xbox, also Killer Instinct and The Castlevania Adventure on Game Boy.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: October 15, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »
I picked up Panzer Dragoon Orta and Destroy All Humans for Xbox

NICE!!! I had completely forgotten about Destroy All Humans but those games are hilarious! I remember having a version of it on my early-2000s Motorola flip phone haha. Did anyone here ever play the Wii sequel? Always been mildly curious about it.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1898 on: October 15, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »
I got Dragon Quest Builders with the Best Buy GCU discount. Can't wait to play it over fall break!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: October 16, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »
This might come as a surprise, but I picked up a couple of those Skylanders things today to add to my small collection.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.