Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764522 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1800 on: May 19, 2016, 12:49:07 AM »
I was really interested in GUN (GC), an awesome western GTA made by the one and only Neversoft when I first heard about it, but never picked it up (did they initially say Xbox/PS2 only? I can't remember). Got it at the swap meet recently for $3. The story starts in the wilderness, then more and more towns are opened up with lots of fun things to do, like running over bison on a horse, killing wolves, indians, and stopping bad guys from burning down the saloon. Give it a whirl if you find it for cheap. It's challenging, wickedly violent, and has some of the best voice acting ever.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 19, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »
I was really interested in GUN (GC), an awesome western GTA made by the one and only Neversoft when I first heard about it, but never picked it up (did they initially say Xbox/PS2 only? I can't remember). Got it at the swap meet recently for $3. The story starts in the wilderness, then more and more towns are opened up with lots of fun things to do, like running over bison on a horse, killing wolves, indians, and stopping bad guys from burning down the saloon. Give it a whirl if you find it for cheap. It's challenging, wickedly violent, and has some of the best voice acting ever.

Oh yeah a friend of mine had this on PS2! Pretty sure it launched on all platform right away, and also was up-ported to X-Box 360. It looked like a huge world to me at the time, I remember thinking Red Dead Redemption was a sequel to it. A quick google search tells me there was some criticism over the way it glorified the killing of Native Americans in the 1800s, Activision's apology claims it was just representative of the "harsh times."

Offline ellanshow7

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 20, 2016, 06:29:59 AM »
I just got Shadwen recently, its quite good tbh.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 21, 2016, 06:52:53 AM »
Found a copy of Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure at Half Price books for $5, case and instruction book included and in near mint condition~!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 22, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »

I liked Hatsworth, but found that some late levels were outright cheap instead of really being fun and well designed. Too bad - it's a great concept, but felt like it needed better level development to be really worth recommending. (Or maybe I was just doing it wrong. That's entirely possible.)  For $5, it's a steal even if you don't love the game to the end.

Grabbed a copy of Tetris Party Deluxe (Wii) today. Haven't seen the game on shelves in a while, and thought it would be nice to have a physical copy to add to my large Wii collection. Asking price was $18 CAD which felt a bit high, but Tetris seems to be moving towards digital-only releases these days and many of the recent versions aren't even very good IMO... so pretty satisfied with the purchase.

Will always have fond memories of the WiiWare version, in part because it was so easy to get a prize from the tournament held after it was first released. My sister gifted me the WiiWare game - but I then won 1200 Wii points in each of the four rounds of the tournament, giving me a nice library of supporting VC/WiiWare games to go with it!
NNID: ejamer

Offline JarundSorensen

• View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 24, 2016, 06:36:42 AM »

Oceanhorn - It's the only thing closest to a Zelda game in iPhone. I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 30, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
On Saturday I attended the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo.  I had a great time!  Played the Virtual Boy for the first time ever (what crack was Nintendo smoking to think that THAT would take off?; I got car sick after playing for 10 minutes!)  I spent quite a bit of the day checking out the vendors.

I got 999 for the DS, which isn't really a retro game but it is a game I'd been looking for with no luck for a while so I was quite thrilled to get it.  So far it's a lot of fun and passes the ever important test where I'm at work looking forward to when I can get home and play it.  It also passes the "eh nuts I have to go to bed; better turn it off" test.  Though early on after the tutorial mission there is what felt like an hour of story with no gameplay.  Thankfully this has picked up but it's a rough way to start the game.  The story is really interesting and all but I can only push A or tap the screen to continue dialog for so long before it becomes tedious.

A couple of months ago I scored a free original Xbox from a co-worker.  It had no controllers or cords so I had to find those myself.  I bought a second controller at the Expo and it's in a nice enough shape that it will probably replace the first one I got.  Another piece of hardware I bought was a PS2 four player adapter.

As for the truly retro games, it's all Genesis stuff this time around.  I notice that the SNES games I don't have in my collection are all super rare and expensive (though it is kind of fun to see games I bought 15 years ago selling for over a hundred bucks today).

I got:
Streets of Rage 3
Rolling Thunder 3
Jerry Glanville's Pigskin Footbrawl

I have not tried these out yet since 999 was taking up my gaming time yesterday.  All are cart only.

I came to the expo with 999 and Streets of Rage 3 as my priorities so I'm pretty thrilled I found both of them.  SoR3 was a game I passed on at last year's expo because I felt it was too expensive.  They did have a copy with box and manual for $150 but I turned that one down for obvious reasons and found just the cart at a different table for $50 which I talked down to $40 by getting $10 off for buying both it and Rolling Thunder 3.  Last year the one copy I found was $70 so I actually saved money waiting a year!  And now I have the whole SoR trilogy which is one of the whole reasons I got a Genesis in the first place.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 30, 2016, 06:58:19 PM »
Nice find on Streets of Rage 3!  It's way cooler to have the physical cart, but that's a case where I was very happy to see it arrive (long ago) on Wii Virtual Console to make the game more accessible/affordable.  Don't think I've ever seen that game in the wild other than when it was actually newly released - at which point I was a kid without enough money to buy any video games.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 31, 2016, 09:12:50 PM »
I got 999 for the DS, which isn't really a retro game but it is a game I'd been looking for with no luck for a while so I was quite thrilled to get it.

I was interested in this for a time.  Are the puzzles more environmental (Myst) or more brainteasers (Layton)?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »
I got 999 for the DS, which isn't really a retro game but it is a game I'd been looking for with no luck for a while so I was quite thrilled to get it.

I was interested in this for a time.  Are the puzzles more environmental (Myst) or more brainteasers (Layton)?

Not quite what you are looking for, but I'd suggest the puzzles are utterly forgettable.  I think there was a mix, but heavier on the environmental... don't take that for fact though because it's been a long time since I played.

If you want a puzzle game, there are much better ones on the market.  If you want a surreal visual novel with puzzle elements, then 999 is a pretty great choice. 

The one big downside I found with 999 was how multiple endings were implemented. It's a great idea, but you had to randomly stumble into the "real" ending without any hints about how or why you should have chosen differently. This could lead to a lot of wasted time replaying early sections to reach key decision points unless you look up a flowchart after your first time through.  (The sequel did a much better job in this regard, letting you jump between story branches quicker so that you didn't have to replay early sections over and over.)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:28 AM »
I finally picked up Super Mario 3D World as a Nintendo Select. Took me long enough.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: June 01, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »

Not quite what you are looking for, but I'd suggest the puzzles are utterly forgettable.  I think there was a mix, but heavier on the environmental... don't take that for fact though because it's been a long time since I played.

If you want a puzzle game, there are much better ones on the market.  If you want a surreal visual novel with puzzle elements, then 999 is a pretty great choice. 

ejamer, thanks for the details. Definitely doesn't sound like it's up my alley.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1812 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »
Brought Fates.
Bit disappointed in no gay marriage and no touching, but that's ok still a really good game.
Made you look ****.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1813 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:29 PM »
If you can't find genderless dystopia in Fire Emblem Fates you're not looking hard enough. (I need a gender and version choice before I start asking questions.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1814 on: June 01, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »
The Australian version has no gay marriage and no touching. (all the fun stuff :()
Made you look ****.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: June 01, 2016, 11:16:53 PM »
If your avatar is male you should be able to marry Niles in Conquest (or at least S-rank him, I don't know if they actually marry one another or just profess their love, though marriage would be nice).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 02, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
touching?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 02, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
Touching was cut out of the North American version as well. Surely you remember the big localization / censorship fiasco debate over the touching gameplay and slipping a drug in a lady's drink storyline being removed back in late January? It was the hottest topic on this site second to Where's Waldo Khushrenada?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 02, 2016, 08:48:36 PM »
I hate video games.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 07, 2016, 12:06:08 AM »
Someone was selling off all of their PSP stuff... so I bought it.

Along with a PSP-1000 console, charger, extra battery, 16 GB memory card, and some carrying cases I got:

Capcom Classics Collection Remixed, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Daxter, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Dissada 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Lumines, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Monster Hunter Freedom, Pinball Hall of Fame, Resistance Retribution, Ridge Racer, Rock Band Unplugged, Sega Genesys Collection, SOCOM US Navy Seals Fireteam Bravo, Star Wars Battlefront II, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Twisted Metal Head-On, Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Wipeout Pulse

Oh right, and there were UMD movies also:

Akira, American Pie, American Wedding, Appleseed, Batman, Black Hawk Down, Borat, Chappelle's Show: Season 1, Volume 1, Chronicles of Riddick, Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black, Click, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Cursed, The Dark Crystal, The Da Vinci Code, Enter the Dragon, Family Guy: The Freakin' Sweet Collection, Family Guy: Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story, Ghostbusters, Godzilla, Grandma's Boy, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, House of Flying Daggers, I, Robot, The Incredibles, Jumanji, Kill Bill (vols 1 and 2), King Arthur, Labyrinth, Lords of Dogtown, Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, National Lampoon's Van Wilder, National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Open Season, Predator, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Robots, The Rundown, Shaun of the Dead, Sin City, Snatch, South Park: When Technology Attacks!, Spider-Man 2, Steamboy, Super Troopers, Tron

Paid $100.  I have no idea how to feel about the value, since PSP games seem to lack a strong collector market and hence might be "worthless"... but the sheer amount of stuff might justify the purchase?  It's definitely not a bad entry point if I decide to collect further, and probably shouldn't be hard to recoup a big chunk of my investment otherwise.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 07, 2016, 12:11:52 AM »
I hate video games.

Who doesn't? That's why I buy so many of them. Gotta to go the extra mile to clear them off store shelves so that no one can actually play them and this whole rotten industry can just fade away. Do your bit, people!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: June 16, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
All the E3 hype for the new Zelda game got me to buy Twilight Princess HD just now, and because I couldn't be content only buying one game at a time, I also bought Kirby: Planet Robobot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1822 on: June 16, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
Oh, you finally fixed your "bo" key. Very nice!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: June 22, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »
I picked up a DS lite at a gamestop (I wanted a way to play GBA games) and man, I forgot how bad DS games looked on the 3DS compared to original hardware.

Now I wonder if I can get one of those translation carts of Mother 3.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 23, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »
I bought WWE 2k16 digital from the 2k sale on PS4. Weird because I don't really watch wrestling but still keep up with it via podcasts.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV