Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764158 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1775 on: April 21, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
Bought the rest of the Smash DLC. Only had Lucas, Cloud, and Roy until now.

Also bought No More Heroes. Heard good news on it and it looks great. Cost me only a few bucks too. I ain't got anything to lose on it  :P:
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 21, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »
Thanks to prodding from my little girl, caved on the Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U) sale. 

I'm really sad that most of the "party games" for the Wii U got terrible reviews.  I've been itching to play one for a while.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
I'm really sad that most of the "party games" for the Wii U got terrible reviews.  I've been itching to play one for a while.
I tried to play Wii Party U with my folks and was surprised how bad it was.

I had lots of fun with both Mario Party 9 and Wii Party with my non-gaming friends.

Wii Sports Club was kinda eh as well, after Resort.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 21, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
I also liked most of the party games on Wii better than what came out for Wii U - but there are some fun eShop options.  They aren't the same as Mario Party-type games, but stuff like Runbow and Sportsball and Spin the Bottle are all worth trying, and pretty inexpensive to boot.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 21, 2016, 10:22:08 PM »
Also bought No More Heroes. Heard good news on it and it looks great. Cost me only a few bucks too. I ain't got anything to lose on it  :P: :

The game is pretty uneven, but definitely an interesting experience.

The only suggestion I'd give is looking up some tips about driving the motorcycle. There is actually some nuance that makes it more enjoyable if you know what you are doing, but I don't think the controls are explained anywhere in-game so you either need to experiment or look for tips online.  ("More enjoyable" doesn't mean "good"... but when you know the controls it's less clunky than it might seem at first and you will at least get around town quicker.)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:06 PM »
Bought the rest of the Smash DLC. Only had Lucas, Cloud, and Roy until now.

Also bought No More Heroes. Heard good news on it and it looks great. Cost me only a few bucks too. I ain't got anything to lose on it  :P:
I bought No More Heroes as well. But it shipped to Japan instead of America and no one sent it back soooo... **** me.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 22, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »
I'm really sad that most of the "party games" for the Wii U got terrible reviews. I've been itching to play one for a while.
Party games always get terrible reviews.

That said, I'm also disappointed in the party games on the Wii U. The Wii was a party monster (perhaps even to a fault), but nothing on Wii U has even come close to being as good. Nintendo Land is the closest the system has come, but it suffers too much from an extreme lack of features and options, including that half the games are single-player only for some odd reason.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
I like Wii Party U, there are so many different types of game modes and games within games. That drawing minigame is pretty fun with a group of people, there's like a tetris-ish puzzle game just hidden away in one of the menus, there's a mini game where you play like reverse hide and seek with the person on the game pad giving you directions to find them, the fashion board game has a decent amount of strategy to it, there's this game buried in a menu that's like a cross between Go, Connect 4 and Wario Ware, and oh man there's Spot The Sneak where one player is given the ability to cheat in mini games but at the end players vote on who the cheat is so if people catch onto your cheating you get a penalty, if players indict an innocent they get a penalty. That's like 5% of the game types in the game.

Some of the stuff in Wii Party U is terrible, one of the minigames is literally a random number generator ostrich where you have a 1/4 chance of winning, but there's sooooo much stuff in it I find it hard to believe there isn't atleast one game mode you'd find appealing.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 25, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
To scratch my casual gaming itch, I grabbed two DSiWare games to fill in time between Ghost Trick sessions.

First was Zenonia. No comment because I haven't played it yet, but my brother recommended the game so I'm confident it'll be worthwhile.
Zenonia is an action RPG with abysmal localization and extremely grind-based gameplay. That being said, it IS a full-length game, so you get more than what you paid for.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 25, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
I like Wii Party U, there are so many different types of game modes and games within games.
It has some good overarching setups like what you mentioned, but we just weren't engaged by most of the minigames. We also seem to prefer the Mario setting over the bland Miis. I don't think it's a bad game myself, but it isn't good enough for us to want to play it over other games.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: April 25, 2016, 07:47:11 PM »
To scratch my casual gaming itch, I grabbed two DSiWare games to fill in time between Ghost Trick sessions.

First was Zenonia. No comment because I haven't played it yet, but my brother recommended the game so I'm confident it'll be worthwhile.
Zenonia is an action RPG with abysmal localization and extremely grind-based gameplay. That being said, it IS a full-length game, so you get more than what you paid for.

Wow, blast from the (almost 5 years ago) past!

Zenonia didn't live up to expectations.  It's not a terrible game, but it's also not very good with very poor localization and uninspired gameplay. Since there are so many good games available to play instead, it's really hard to recommend wasting time with Zenonia... but it does offer a lot of mediocre content if that's your thing.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 27, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »
In the latest spring eshop sale, I bit on Story of Seasons and Inazuma Eleven.
God help me.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1787 on: April 27, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
I bought Return to Popolocrois for 3DS on Amazon for $26.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 27, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »
Like many others, I grabbed the Humble "Friends of Nintendo" Bundle that going on.  I beat the average, and am excited about almost all of the games that were included.

Also broke down and ordered some Series 3 Animal Crossing cards online since my local store hasn't had any stock for weeks.

Offline glynisninfa

• View Profile
    • Play for free
« Reply #1789 on: April 28, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »
I have to wait until christmas to buy Inazuma Eleven.  :-[

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 29, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »
I bought Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus and Mega Man Battle Network 2.

Harmony of Exidus is absolutely gorgeous, holy crap.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Bought used PS2 with some games for less than 30$, though the price looks less cheap in my local currency (because of series of crashes of price due to world politics stuff). Also it didn't have memory card so i had to buy it separately and also i ordered proper component cable online for extra ~10$.

I wanted to buy an actual PS2 because i got too impatient with the status of PS2 emulator on PC. It works mostly okay but there are a number of games that it just can't handle. The latest ones i found to be unplayable were Ratchet and Clank games and Viewtiful Joe PS2 port (i already have original GC release but i just really want to check out how exclusive character Dante plays on PS2).

First thing i noticed is how dark the picture is, universally across all games. I noticed low brightness on emulator and even in youtube videos but i thought these were quirks of the capture and actual hardware would be brighter. Nope, apparently it IS that dark.

Hoping component cable will make picture better. But i kinda doubt it because my wii outputs much better picture and it doesn't use component either (i use SCART). I think it's something to do with console itself.

It is nice to play Viewtiful Joe with an actual d-pad instead of a stick. It is also less cumbersome to switch right thumb from face buttons to right stick in God Hand with original PS2 controller. That and apparently PS2 emulator has it's own lag, because i found that moves come out faster on actual console. It's not all peachy though, aside from dark image actual PS2 is also more prone to slowdowns. Because of lower fluctuating framerate and tank controls camera i am getting motion sick in God Hand all over again -- and here i thought i was over it.

Less gaming related, but i also got 3d glasses for my old plasma. I tried to play several games in stereo 3d. Mirror's Edge surprisingly doesn't make much of a difference, but it is nifty. Assassin's Creed III stereo 3d is kinda eh but it's notable that it even works on a Wii U port (they didn't bother with stereoscopic 3d in Black Flag -- kinda shame).

While on that, i ordered Gears of War 3 which apparently has stereoscopic 3d support, so i am looking forward to that.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1792 on: May 10, 2016, 02:34:04 PM »
Bought Etrian Odyssey 2: Untold - The Fafnir Knight for $20 at Best Buy. Much easier to swallow of a price than $50.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 10, 2016, 06:14:23 PM »
Bought Etrian Odyssey 2: Untold - The Fafnir Knight for $20 at Best Buy. Much easier to swallow of a price than $50.

Saw that sale, and was jealous.  I still haven't seen it for less than $50 in Canada, which is definitely on the high side for my budget.  But I'm still really interested in the game and might end up buying at that price anyway - it's easier when there isn't much competition for my dollars other than trying to collect Animal Crossing cards.

Hope you enjoy it!  I didn't think that I'd care for the Etrian series of games until trying the demos on 3DS, but really fell in love after that.

Offline adolfo9

• View Profile
    • BJ Regels
« Reply #1794 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »
I wish I have money left on my wallet.  :(

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1795 on: May 14, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »

Saw that sale, and was jealous.  I still haven't seen it for less than $50 in Canada, which is definitely on the high side for my budget.  But I'm still really interested in the game and might end up buying at that price anyway - it's easier when there isn't much competition for my dollars other than trying to collect Animal Crossing cards.

Hope you enjoy it!  I didn't think that I'd care for the Etrian series of games until trying the demos on 3DS, but really fell in love after that.

That or Etrian Odyssey IV will be my first go at the series, so I'm quite excited. :)

Today, I purchased Disney Art Academy. Some nice relaxing gaming to be had.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 18, 2016, 03:35:11 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. Yep, it's still one of the best games ever made, and the 1080p PS4 remaster is only $30. Also, if you get it right now physically, you get this really sweet steelbook case.  ;D

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:16 PM »
I really, really wish there were a Vita version of that. I know it's optimized for remote play, but it's not the same.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
DmC -- not a purchase, got it in one of those humble bundle codes giveaway threads.

I always wanted to try it and i liked demo on 360 well enough but i really didn't wanted to reward Capcom for this game in any way. I considered getting humble bundle myself and set bars to give all to charity but then some kind soul posted these codes and solved my dilemma.

Spending way too much time on 4chan instead of doing work DOES pay off!

no it doesn't

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: May 18, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »
I really, really wish there were a Vita version of that. I know it's optimized for remote play, but it's not the same.

Yeah, I agree. It's a shame the series bombed so badly on PSP. On the bright side, since Valkyria didn't really use the L2 & R2 triggers anyway, it plays EXCELLENTLY on Vita via Remote Play.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.