Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764390 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1750 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
Two super cheap Wii U pick-ups today:
* Madden NFL 13
* FIFA Soccer 13

Combined cost was $2.20.  Both games are behind the curve when it comes to rosters, and while Wii U versions reportedly had some cool unique features they are far from cutting edge.  But both looked fun and are games I've had an interest in trying for a while...

With FIFA the roster doesn't matter anyway since I don't follow enough to care.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 12, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
I reviewed that FIFA game for the site and loved it. It's missing a few features but the GamePad stuff is really cool.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 12, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
FIFA on Wii U is great. The only things the game lacked were the ability to manage national teams on career mode and the Ultimate Team microtransaction sync. Other than that it still holds up well to current editions gameplay wise.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 13, 2016, 12:21:31 AM »
I still have FIFA sitting on my shelf unopened. I plan on grabbing the Madden U edition as well at some point but I feel I need to play one before I get the other. I have enough games on my shelf that are unopened, let alone unplayed.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 17, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
I had Madden 13 on Wii U.....but I found I kept getting an issue where my Franchise save file would get corrupt 7-8 games in and would need to keep starting over.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: March 17, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
New stuff:

Rare Replay
Shovel Knight physical Wii U version
Pikmin 3 Nintendo Selects version

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 17, 2016, 03:42:23 PM »
* Madden NFL 13
* FIFA Soccer 13

Combined cost was $2.20.  Both games are behind the curve when it comes to rosters, and while Wii U versions reportedly had some cool unique features they are far from cutting edge.  But both looked fun and are games I've had an interest in trying for a while...

Where do you keep finding all these sweet deals? I'd even buy those games for $1.10!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: March 17, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »
* Madden NFL 13
* FIFA Soccer 13

Where do you keep finding all these sweet deals? I'd even buy those games for $1.10!

Staples (Canada) had any clearance games on sale for $1. They've been trying to rid of old games stock for a while, and this is probably the final shot. 

(Sale should still be on... not sure if they switch over to new sales tomorrow or the day after.)

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 21, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »
Sold a bunch of old games recently, so bought some others to replace them:

* The Swindle (Wii U eShop) - Really enjoying this game. Sounded like it would be up my alley, and early impressions only confirm that. I like the randomly generated levels, the upgrade system, and the overall pacing.
* Rytmik Ultimate (3DS eShop) - This music app isn't ideal for everything, but it's easy to mess around with and I like the feature set it offers. Replaces my old DSiWare edition and adds a bunch of improved features.
* Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda (Wii U Virtual Console) - Wanted to get some eShop credit for the games listed above, and found a vendor on eBay selling cards from the Mario Kart 8 bundle that included $20 CAD credit and download codes both virtual console games for a very reasonable $18.

* Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN) - Own the remake on Wii but it's a great game and was on sale... nabbing a portable version of the original release was just too tempting to pass up.
* Castlevania Chronicles (PSN) - Another PSOne Classic on sale that looked appealing, even though I own the NES version via Virtual Console. In retrospect, probably should have gone for Strider 2 instead of this game.
* SteamWorld Dig (PSN) - I've already got Dig on 3DS and Wii U, but it's perfectly paced and comes from an indie developer that I like. Playing from bed on my PSTV, I'm already halfway through the game since downloading it.

So yeah... might seem like a disappointing list since it's mostly different versions of games that I already owned. But I'm happy with all of them, feel like $25 CAD was a reasonable value, and am particularly excited to spend more time with The Heist over the next week or two.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:57:52 PM by ejamer »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 27, 2016, 12:47:43 AM »
Bought Johnny's Payday Panic and Wings of Vi, both on sale.

Wings of Vi reminds of La Mulana somewhat -- challenging platforming, somewhat unorthodox jumping controls. There is more emphasis on dying and restarting constantly a-la Super Meat Boy, and that is why i racked up 240 deaths in about an hour of playing. So far game is pretty linear but it could be just prologue.

Also got bought Sega's RTS Humble Bundle for a whopping 1$.

Also my HDD that was connected to Wii U died. D:

Had to replace it by warranty and apparently data on it was un-salvageable D:

There go my Bayonetta 1-2, Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad saves D: I was literally 2 chapters away for completing Pure Platinum on the last difficulty mode on Bayo 1 D:

Another problem is that i can't even connect it to the console yet, because it comes with standard USB 3 cable with just one connector. I ordered USB 3 Y-cable and now have to wait.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: March 27, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Also my HDD that was connected to Wii U died. D:
I was literally 2 chapters away for completing Pure Platinum on the last difficulty mode on Bayo 1 D:

Ouch!   :(

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #1761 on: March 27, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »
I just bought a Wii U Mario Maker bundle last week.

In related news, I just uploaded my first level:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9A7F-0000-020C-5CB0

^_^
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:19:29 PM by Chad Sexington »
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 28, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
Right now, in a desperate attempt to move product, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is on sale for 50%. So, instead of $80.00, it is now $40.00. In addition, the Animal Crossing Amiibo 3-pack of Reese, Cyrus and K.K. is 50% off from $45.00 to $22.50. I'm actually considering it but then I also wonder if prices are being slashed this much already, perhaps I should wait and prices will fall more. The dilemma of trying to get the price possible. I've always been interested a bit in this game but the price for it was ridiculous and even 50% still feels high for what it is.

While I realize that the Animal Crossing Amiibo will most likely be some of the most useless Amiibo produced with probably no application beyond this game, having a few more playing characters for the board game would be nice but is it still $22.50 worth it? Then there's the fear that my collector sensibility will take over and I'll want to get the remaining Amiibo to have all the pieces which will end up making this game cost more than what it seems to be worth.

Would anyone else here take this deal?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 28, 2016, 05:50:57 PM »
Right now, in a desperate attempt to move product, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is on sale for 50%. So, instead of $80.00, it is now $40.00. In addition, the Animal Crossing Amiibo 3-pack of Reese, Cyrus and K.K. is 50% off from $45.00 to $22.50. I'm actually considering it but then I also wonder if prices are being slashed this much already, perhaps I should wait and prices will fall more. The dilemma of trying to get the price possible. I've always been interested a bit in this game but the price for it was ridiculous and even 50% still feels high for what it is.

While I realize that the Animal Crossing Amiibo will most likely be some of the most useless Amiibo produced with probably no application beyond this game, having a few more playing characters for the board game would be nice but is it still $22.50 worth it? Then there's the fear that my collector sensibility will take over and I'll want to get the remaining Amiibo to have all the pieces which will end up making this game cost more than what it seems to be worth.

Would anyone else here take this deal?

I might be the wrong person to discuss this since I bought all this stuff at full price at the request of my wife, but I probably could recommend at least the base game for $40.  Despite Neal's reaming of the game, if you like the personality of Animal Crossing and have enough people who are interested to assemble 4-people game, I wouldn't shy away from getting the base game.

That said, since Amiibo Festival is currently the only game I'm aware that the Amiibo support, i'd personally suggest to see what the going rate is for the characters you want on the used market before taking the plunge on the 3-pack. 

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 28, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
As far as the used market goes, I'm seeing none of them really being sold through local sources like Craigslist or Kijiji. Checking eBay, there are no deals for them there as people seem to be trying to sell them above market value which is stupid. Amazon has started lowering the price of the Series 2 Amiibo on the US site. As far as deals go, the three pack deal is one of the best found in Canada so far. At some point, I feel Best Buy is going to slash the Lottie's to get them out of their stores but so far they are content to have them take up 2 full shelf spaces and sit there at full price. Despite rumblings and rumours of the Animal Crossing Amiibo getting sold at discounts, there's very little action or evidence of that happening still. This is the first sign of it so far which makes me wonder if more price drops will yet come.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 28, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »
BestBuy did a promo earlier in the year where they gave away a free Lottie with any other Amiibo purchase, so I don't know what more they can do on that front.

I've looked long at hard at the deals you mentioned. Both are appealing to me on various fronts: I like collecting Animal Crossing Amiibo figures (if only as decorations) since they come from a game that my wife and I loved and have a great deal of nostalgia for. We also have two kids who would probably get good mileage from the Amiibo Festival game.  Yet I can't quite punch the ticket yet.

The three-pack of Amiibo figures really only has one that I care about, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a stand-alone KK Slider at some point. That said, Amiibo deals in Canada haven't been anywhere near what the US sees, so 3 for $22.50 really is pretty awesome.

Amiibo Festival may still drop in price because it bombed critically and nobody cares enough to buy it - I even wondered if Nintendo would give it away free (digitally) eventually as a way to drum up interest in the Animal Crossing Amiibo stock that doesn't seem to be selling. That might never happen... but $40 isn't impulse buy territory even if there is a darling Isabelle Amiibo included in the package.

They are still tempting though. Prices really are pretty good for what you get - it's just whether you want what they are offering. The deals end soon, so we'll have to make a tough choice before long.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:51:27 PM by ejamer »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 28, 2016, 08:35:37 PM »
Anybody get an Occulus today?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 29, 2016, 01:36:33 AM »
I think the Amiibo Festival pack plus the K.K. Slider pack should have been a $60 bundle, since the Amiibo pretty much make that game and Nintendo are idiots if they think they can get more money out of people by separating the two.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 29, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »
I think the Amiibo Festival pack plus the K.K. Slider pack should have been a $60 bundle, since the Amiibo pretty much make that game and Nintendo are idiots if they think they can get more money out of people by separating the two.

So you're saying when the are on sale for $60 (well, actually $62.50 CAD) that it's a worthwhile purchase?
Hmm... still on the fence.  Seems like reasonable value, but not sure I need it. Two days left for the sale.
 :-\

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 29, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
Of, for 60 CAD? Hell no.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: March 29, 2016, 04:38:18 PM »

Help Wanted: 50 Wacky Jobs (Wii) arrived today.  I blame:

... This here is a bona fide diamond in the rough, a Wii hidden gem. ...

Apologies for cutting out the quote very short, but it would be pretty long. You are best off clicking on the username link above the quoted text to read TOPHATANT12's full assessment of the game.

One thing he neglected to mention is that the game manual is awesome.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:42:24 PM by ejamer »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 29, 2016, 05:11:23 PM »
Hmm I hadn't looked in the manual up until now, but you're right it's full of silly art and in your face craziness, here's an expert.

"Tam: The family pet. Ann, Stan and Fran are always showering affection (?) on this little pup."

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 30, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
I just purchased Mega Man Legacy collection on PS4 and also Super Star Wars on PS4. Was looking at a couple other games but Sony hates my credit card so I choose not to give them any more money.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 30, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
Thanks to prodding from my little girl, caved on the Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U) sale. 

In addition, threw in a couple of packs of Series 2 card, three packs of Series 3 cards, and the KK+alpacas Amiibo 3-pack.

Covered the cost by selling PAL copies of The Last Story and Pikmin 2 on eBay.  I'm ok with this swap.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 08, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »
Bought Dirt Rally for PS4. Absolutely loved Dirt 2 but I'm glad the focus is back on the rallying.