Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764198 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1550 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
I ordered a New 3DS XL charging cradle off eBay from some guy in Japan.

EDIT: Also found somebody selling styluses that fit the New 3DS XL that extend like the original 3DS ones did, so I bought some of them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:47:45 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1551 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
Got Okami for Wii in the mail today. Still playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, so it will have to wait for a bit.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 04, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
Borderlands 2 GOTY (Steam): Was waiting for Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Valkyria Chronicles to go on sale, but this went on sale first. I played the first one and enjoyed it, but there was a lack of plot. You were just going around killing everything while moving through the planet until a certain point. Hoping this is better. Hoping I can find people to play with because the first one was kinda lonely with only one person.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

« Reply #1553 on: March 05, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
Just got Mario vs DK for Wii U. Will report back what I think latter.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline iandemel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 11, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »
Dragonball Xenoverse. Having gotten around to actually playing past the prologue yet though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 12, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
My charging cradle got here. It's kind of neat. I like the vertical design of it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 14, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »

Not pictured: PGR3 disc that comes with PGR4 and 4-pack of Eneloop AAA batteries.

Ninja Gaiden II:
NInja Gaiden Black was one of the satisfying action games i played.  In fact, i am still playing NGB on Hard and there are still two difficulty modes beyond that, so i can say i barely started playing NGB.

I ordered the sequel the next day i finished NGB on Normal.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection:
Finally made the decision against Metal Gear Solid 3DS (framerate was so bad it was causing headaches), it's a shame really because 3DS port probably has the best controls -- i am going to miss customizable three/two way switching of weapons and inventory...

Manual is really cool. As you can see on the photo centerfold is some kind of poster featuring three characters from the games. And other pages are also full-colour and have lots of signature Metal Gear artwork. There are even some comics.

Project Gotham Racing 3/4:
I dunno, it was cheap.

Batman Arkham: Blackgate:
I enjoyed all Batman Arkham games so far -- they're dumb and enjoyable because of it. I wanted to get it last year, but i was in the middle of playing Batman Arkham Oirigins on Wii U and didn't need even more Batman in my backlog.

Packaging was kinda crap and cartridge fell off it's slot inside the box. I even thought it was a used copy or something, and checked if there was a save file on the cart but there was not.

Either way, it was like 10 euro so as long game plays okay i am good.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:22:51 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
I finally picked up Kirby Triple Deluxe, Codename: STEAM, and I saw a sonic amiibo at the store.

I then went to the flea market and picked up copies of Saturday Night Slam Masters and Gradius 3

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 15, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »
So, I've ordered a lot of crap of late and decided to sit down and make a list of everything I'm waiting to come in.  Everything I'm waiting on, in the order that I placed the orders.

Kickstarter - Twisted Counters
Club Nintendo - Majora's Mask Puzzle
Club Nintendo - Smash Bros. v2 Posters
Club Nintendo - Animal Crossing Cards
Amazon - Hori n3DS Duriflex Case
Amazon - LttP Comic
Alibris - Twilight Princes Hardcover Guide v1
Nintendo - Majora's Mask n3DS Battery Cover
*Nintendo - n3DS Charging Dock
*GameStop - Majora's Mask Poster
*Printerstudio - Cards Against Humanity custom cards
Kickstarter - Mother Vinyl Album
*MaydayGames - Card Sleeves for Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity
eBay - Terminator 3 Full Screen DVD
eBay - Munchkin World 10 Card Vending Set
MaydayGames - Card Sleeves for Munchkin Treasure Hunt
Alibris - Twilight Princes Hardcover Guide v1 (reorder)

*Things that have arrived
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:28:28 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 15, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
Terminator 3 Full Screen DVD

Full Screen? FULL SCREEN?! You know nothing about proper movie watching..... :(
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1560 on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:29 AM »
I went to V-Stock and picked up some used games.

Grand Slam Tennis - Wii
Dave Mirra's BMX 2 - GameCube
Front Mission 4 - PS2

Before that I got a Diddy Kong World of Nintendo 4-inch figure, which is AWESOME.

Then before that I got Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »

Actually, I'd argue that your statement should be...

Terminator 3? TERMINATOR 3?! You know nothing about proper movie watching..... :(

But, aside from that, apparently, basically, T3 was filmed in full-frame, then matted to widescreen.

This thread goes into more detail on it, including a picture that I don't want to repost here, that does a pretty good job of showing the difference.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 16, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »
Downloaded Senran Kagura Burst on the 3DS two weeks ago but didn't get around to really playing it until 2 days ago. A nice & simple beat em up with no overly complicated mechanics to remember. Just what I wanted.

The anime fanservice is icing on tne cake. Makes good use of that 3D.
Mission...complete?

« Reply #1563 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

Actually, I'd argue that your statement should be...

Terminator 3? TERMINATOR 3?! You know nothing about proper movie watching..... :(

But, aside from that, apparently, basically, T3 was filmed in full-frame, then matted to widescreen.

This thread goes into more detail on it, including a picture that I don't want to repost here, that does a pretty good job of showing the difference.

That is how A LOT of films are shot, especially older films when square TV's were the norm. They did that to make it EASIER to make full screen editions for square tv's. The norm now is widescreen. The Wide screen is the proper presentation, regardless of how it was filmed its not how it was presented in theaters which is what matters.

If you actually follow the links to the theatrical and DVD comparisons they are very, very close, the Full Screen versions is a mess, the only "benefit" are the boob shots so if that is all you want go a head but the rest of the movie looks better cropped the way it was meant to be.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 16, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
I can assure you, boob shots (in which you can't see anything due to convenient hair placement) mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  I've read several threads (unfortunately, most images seem to have gone the way of the dodo) and there seems to be a consensus that the action sequences (which, really, T3 is one long action sequence anyway) are better when they're not zoomed in.

« Reply #1565 on: March 16, 2015, 12:46:24 PM »
I have both versions I like the wide screen better, the framing is consistent with the other movies and it crops stuff out but it crops out stuff you don't need. Its like the WS Buffy DVD's nobody wants that. But yeah boobs were all that thread you linked to discussed.

I am a regular member of the Blu Ray forum as well, and the consensus there is the Wide Screen is the correct one, as it matches what was shown theatrically, which is what most Blu Ray fans are into. There are those fringe folks who care less about theatrical release and just want what they consider best so to each their own I suppose.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 16, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
They also talked about a bottle that you could see fall on full screen but disappeared on widescreen. Frankly, I thought the thread was a bit inconclusive as a few commenters talked about liking the widescreen version and others the full screen. In this case, I understand why the full screen version may be more sought after but it seems to be a fault in either the editing process or the choice of the director's framing. It seems like an odd case to me but you've obviously been doing your homework on it.

Usually, the difference between widescreen and full screen is what is shown in this little video from TCM. It's a cropping of the sides of the frame but not the top and bottom which makes the T3 case so weird. It's like they zoomed in on a full screen image to make it widescreen and that's just terrible camerawork.

« Reply #1567 on: March 16, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »
They also talked about a bottle that you could see fall on full screen but disappeared on widescreen. Frankly, I thought the thread was a bit inconclusive as a few commenters talked about liking the widescreen version and others the full screen. In this case, I understand why the full screen version may be more sought after but it seems to be a fault in either the editing process or the choice of the director's framing. It seems like an odd case to me but you've obviously been doing your homework on it.

Usually, the difference between widescreen and full screen is what is shown in this little video from TCM. It's a cropping of the sides of the frame but not the top and bottom which makes the T3 case so weird. It's like they zoomed in on a full screen image to make it widescreen and that's just terrible camerawork.

Not true its called open matting and it was the industry standard for decades, its how we are able to have WS and FS versions of so many movies. Its much better than Pan and Scan where they literally take a camera and zoom it in on a projection of the film and re-record it to video. People often confuse Pan and Scan for open matte they are not the same thing and depending on the movie the FS and WS versions can be identical in quality if they were cropped correctly when shot. T3 was shot open matte and cropped for 2.35.1 for theatrical and then cropped again to 2.40.1 for the DVD. The Blu Ray is the proper format but its got a glitch where it shows in 1080i instead of 1080p so you have to check UPC codes to get the right versions.

Over all is a bottle dropping off the cliff really that important to the STORY? Not at tall. Like I said there is no consensus everyone has their preferences. Blu Ray buffs, especially those who really care about quality and presentation, prefer the theatrical framing because that was what was intended, the unfortunate framing you see on the DVD full frame is a side effect of the film being made a time when more people had square and not flat TV's.

Its like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or ST:TNG, they were shot on wide screen film and cropped for TV, there was a HUGE up roar when the blu ray's were announced were going to be WS and not FS. It isn't usually what looks best or gives you the better picture, most fans or people who are into this stuff, want what matches the original presentation, OAR or Original Aspect Ratio. ST:TNG looks awesome in WS but most fans want it cropped because that is what they remember. This is a similar situation which is why I tend to buy both versions when available to choose which one I prefer. Normally I go with wide more often then not but if OAR is 4x3 then I go with 4x3 except stuff like Friends or 70's show where the WS is better even though the framing is somewhat sloppy as a result. It was shot in WS and cropped for full frame  but those two instance it looks better wide. Its a title by title situation.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 16, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
But yeah boobs were all that thread you linked to discussed.

That still says plenty, many scenes are like this, opened up so much I just felt a lot of it needed to be seen.This maybe is not the best example, as all you see is more of her and some street, but other scenes like the big action scenes you see much more and it just helps the film.

You must have been distracted by the boob picture - this was directly beneath it.

Anyway, I paid $3/shipped for an unopened copy of the Full Screen DVD.  I'm okay with my purchase.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 16, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »

Although I'm usually in the "original aspect ratio" camp under the assumption that maintaining the artistic vision of the director is the best way to view a film, when the quality of the cropping (and quality of the art) isn't clear I often enjoy viewing the big picture instead of having images cropped and zoomed. T3 would be easily fall into that category for me - fun to watch, but hardly worth calling art at all so give me the bigger explosions and I'll walk away happy.

What a weird discussion in the "recent purchase" thread.
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #1570 on: March 17, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »
it's Uncle Bob's fault for bragging about buying a Full Screen DVD in this day and age. If this was 2005 nobody would have even noticed. Read my comment again, I agree which is why I own both versions of the film. Its just odd to pick the FS as the main one to me I guess.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 17, 2015, 12:48:18 AM »
Honestly, I have nothing but respect for UncleBob pouring out his heart, when it might not seem popular or even sane, in favor of an aspect ratio he loves. It's not the (proportional) horizontal size, it's what you do with it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 17, 2015, 01:12:22 AM »
Yeah, I was going to talk some more about aspect ration sizes and transfers but the man said he is ok with his purchase and I just can't bear to break his heart anymore.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
Its just odd to pick the FS as the main one to me I guess.

See, you're confused again.  It's not my "main" one.  I already own Widescreen on DVD and again on Blu in the Terminator Anthology.  Which I already mentioned in this thread you've replied to.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
So I bought some games recently:
* The Lost Vikings (GBA)
* Final Fantasy VI (GBA)

The first is a game I've played very little of, but enjoyed what I've seen greatly.  The second is one of my top 5 games ever and one of a few that I deeply regret selling. Got a great price on Lost Vikings, overpaid (in my mind) somewhat for FF6... but the "going rate" for legit copies of that game is a little bit ridiculous so still did ok.
NNID: ejamer