Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 764273 times)

Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1375 on: October 03, 2014, 01:12:09 AM »
Today: Shovel Knight Wii U e-Shop
Trine 2: Directors Cut Wii U e-Shop
D&D Chronicles of Mystara Wii U e-Shop
Dr. Luigi Wii U e-Shop

Tomorrow I am going to the used game stores looking for Wii, Wii U, and PS3 games. I will report what I find.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
Chariot from GWG on xbox  live. 
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

« Reply #1377 on: October 03, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
Today
New Super Mario Bros U- Wii U
New Luigi U- Wii U
Avengers Battle for Earth- Wii U
Wonderful 101- Wii U

I almost got Destiny for PS3 but held off because I got a Wii Remote Plus so I could get into Wii mode.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 04, 2014, 03:18:13 AM »
Today's haul:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments (PS4)
Natural Doctrine (PS4 & Vita)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
interested to hear how you like the Sherlock Holmes game.

I just finished it, actually. I've played about half of the previous Sherlock games this team has made, and IMO this is by far their best title. There's still a little bit of janky-ness in how the game plays; how it tries to hide its low budget; and how the game doesn't always properly explain what it wants you to do, but I think the team finally fixed their 2 worst issues from the previous games: stupidly overcomplicated puzzles, and horrendous pacing issues.  Instead of 1 long, 20 hour trial that just seems to go on forever, there are instead 6 3-5 hour ones laid out in an episodic nature. It helps keep the experience fresh and the story moving.

Likewise, the narrative's seen a significant upgrade with the way you can now gather clues and piece them together in Sherlock's head ala Miles Edgeworth's "Logic" system in Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. It allows you to examine cases in a way that leads to branching endings depending on your logic and the clues you've gathered.

And yeah, the team at Frogware made some significant improvements to their engine. They haven't quite mastered human facial movement yet, but the game as a whole is pleasant enough to look at and some of the environmental work is just spectacular.

I plan on talking about this game more on the next NFR, but suffice it to say I think it's a shame the developer decided to release this game on the same day as Shadow of Mordor, which ensured too few will play it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 05, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »
Skylanders.  Lots and lots of Skylanders.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: October 06, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
@broodwars, thanks for the review. I haven't played any of these games but I like mystery and investigation type games and I am a long-standing Holmes fan. I might have to check this one out on PS3.
Oui, Mon Gars!

« Reply #1381 on: October 06, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Yesterday was my last big day for a while, I got NES Remix 1 and 2,

then I finally got my Wii purchases transferred over to my Wii U so I downloaded all my Virtual Console titles I had on Wii, turns out I only had 40 I thought I had more, and they still let me download DKC and TMNT so that was cool I was worried those wouldn't be available anymore. I forgot I had two WiiWare titles, Lost Winds and some really stupid Crystal Chronicles game my sister downloaded when she lived with us, I had forgotten about it.

Then on eshop I finished the weekend by getting Art Academy. Spent the rest of the night playing Shovel Knight and forming a love/hate relationship with that game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 07, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
Skylanders.  Lots and lots of Skylanders.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #1383 on: October 07, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
I popped into Wii Shop channel and downloaded three more Virtual Console games, Chrono Trigger, Smash Bros N64, and Final Fantasy 3 SNES. I got Dr. Mario NES in the eshop for a total of 4 VC purchases. Also I redeemed Kirby Super Star SNES using Club Nintendo coins so I added that as well but it wasn't a purchase.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1384 on: October 08, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Smash Bros. Brouhaha the second it became available.

Also Dracula X if I didn't say that already. This game if terrible.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 11, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Nintendo 64 console (black) with original controller (blue) - $15
GameCube controller (indigo) - $5
Gotta love garage sales.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #1386 on: October 11, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
Today I got Wind Waker HD Wii U and Zone of Enders HD Collection PS3

« Reply #1387 on: October 13, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »
I had some extra money left over from yesterday so I used it to get Wii points. I picked up Shining Force, Phantasy Star 4, and Mega Turrican all for Sega Genesis on Wii VC.

« Reply #1388 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »
shopping continues. I picked up Smash Bros. Brawl today. I didn't like it that much when it came to Wii partly because I was so into Melee and partly because I was not very good at the game and at the time all I had was a Wii remote and Nunchuck and thought the controls were terrible. I got the N64 version on Virtual Console so that made me want to try this again. So far I am kind of liking it but I still have some of the same issues I had before. I do have a classic pro controller now so it's not as bad. I am mostly trying to get back into the habit of playing this type of game so that I am semi-ready when the Wii U one comes out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 16, 2014, 08:22:39 AM »
So I broke down and purchased one of the recommended external hard drives for my Wii U.  I feel kind of dirty.

Initially, I really believed it wouldn't matter whether people buy the Basic or Deluxe models because a hard drive would be essentially required either way.  So I bought a Basic since they were much cheaper.  But now I'm not sure.

Third party support is virtually non-existent and eShop releases haven't been as impressive as I hoped, so 2+ TB is MASSIVE overkill for someone like me - i.e.: someone who prefers owning physical content instead of digital licenses. But the measly 8 GB built-in space just isn't enough between game saves and updates, the Wii U OS, and a few downloadable games to boot.  Maybe the Deluxe model would have been big enough after all?

This is probably still more cost effective than getting a Deluxe model considering when I bought in, and it's definitely more flexible... but I can't shake the feeling that it's a waste of resources.
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #1390 on: October 16, 2014, 07:14:58 PM »
I been on a download binge recently and I can't even get the bar on my 1TB drive to show up most of the files are so small. 2TB would be massive overkill indeed. Best bet would be pick up a smaller one and stick that thing in your primary PC instead.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 16, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »
I bought a Vita TV ("PlayStation TV") I have ordered a 64 GB Vita memory card. The former is still in the box, and the latter makes me feel dirty for giving in to Sony's extortion.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #1392 on: October 16, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
I discovered the Deluxe Digital Promotion recently and learned I had a ton of points to cash in. I ended up having $25 dollars worth of gift cards to cash in so I went on another shopping spree today.

I mostly wound up with Virtual Console titles but I did get a couple from the eshop, 1001 spikes, mighty switch force and mighty switch force 2, UnEpic, Spikey Walls, and Ice Cream surfer. VC purchases were Earthbound, Metroid Fusion, Super Mario World (upgrade from Wii), Castlevania NES, Ninja Gaiden NES, Double Dragon NES, Metroid NES, and SMB3, Zelda 2, and Ghosts N Goblins were upgrades from Wii.
I am really loving this console I hope more people buy it after Smash comes out so the library gets better next year.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 16, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
I been on a download binge recently and I can't even get the bar on my 1TB drive to show up most of the files are so small. 2TB would be massive overkill indeed. Best bet would be pick up a smaller one and stick that thing in your primary PC instead.

Probably good advice, but I had a hard time finding a smaller drive that I felt certain would work, included an external power source (I don't have a lot of confidence in the Y-cable approach since that's what I'm using now), and made a significant difference in price.

On the bright side, eShop titles aren't overflowing but there are a bunch that I will buy eventually now that space is never going to be a concern.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:33:15 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 17, 2014, 01:07:39 AM »
Latest gaming purchase for me = electronics cleaner and lubricant from Radio Shack? How is that a gaming purchase? Because 15 minutes later I have 16/16 perfectly working N64 games.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: October 17, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
I bought a Vita TV ("PlayStation TV") I have ordered a 64 GB Vita memory card. The former is still in the box, and the latter makes me feel dirty for giving in to Sony's extortion.
Oh, but that sweet-sweet storage space.  That's really my only big gripe about the vita as a handheld (not counting remote play grievances I have).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »
We're going to have to talk about this on NFR.

Oh, but that sweet-sweet storage space.  That's really my only big gripe about the vita as a handheld (not counting remote play grievances I have).

Which is about everyone's complaint is that stupid space.  I mean seriously Playstation TV could allow for the use of an External Harddrive?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 17, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
I have a 64 GB Vita card and still have had to clean the fridge numerous times. They need to either put out a 128 GB one or some kind of SD adapter.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #1398 on: October 20, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
thanks to adrock for giving me a couple of days off to collect my thoughts and my discovering how that awesome digital deluxe promotion works my binge continued over the weekend.

I can't remember everything I got, mostly virtual console lots of Wii but a few Wii U also. The only eshop games left I havent bought that I want are Pier Solar HD, if that ever gets released, and DuckTales Remastered, which I already have on PSN anyways so no rush. Basically I cleaned house so there's nothing left to buy now all I gotta do is wait each week to see what comes up. I didn't have that far to go I already had a ton of virtual console purchases left over from before when I had a Wii and VC was about all it was good for after a while.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 20, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
thanks to adrock for giving me a couple of days off to collect my thoughts

Free advice. Take it or leave it but saying things like that is like trying to start or pick a fight. It's inviting the person targeted to then come and defend how they were right and you were wrong and just cause another argument or blow-up by going over the same things that led to a problem in the first place. Take the high road and don't engage. That's all I'm going to weigh in on and say.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.