Author Topic: Virtual Console Wishlist (pictures inside)  (Read 8897 times)

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Virtual Console Wishlist (pictures inside)
« on: December 19, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »
Had some free time tonight and I was thinking about some of the games I hope to see show up at some point, So I decided to make some mock-up Virtual Console pages for games ^_^

I might do some more of these later on.
What games do other people really want to see show up? (Lets not mention the sure fire ones like Super Mario 3 or Zelda: A Link to the Past)
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Wishlist (pictures inside)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »
Ooh nice you used those graphics. I personally want Nintendo World Cup (NES) and Uniracers (SNES).. not sure if Dreamcast and PlayStation games will show up.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »
I'm hoping Nintendo will just let us save VC games to USB Flash/HD and SD Cards in the very near future.
Their in no point in wasting the internal space with games, especially when its so little space as is.
People have already found a way to pull the VC games off of the Wii so limiting us to just the internal space for security is now pointless.

Also am I the only one who hates the idea that if we run out of space on the Wii we will need to delete our VC games to make room for more? I know Nintendo keeps track of the games we buy, but I would much rather not have to re-download them when I want to play them.
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:57:59 PM »
As I mentioned in the other thread, Cap, I really want to see all the Adventure Island games on the VC (all the NES games as well as the SNES games).

And since you brought up the Gameboy, here are the GB games I want to see:
- Super Mario Land
- Super Mario Land 2
- Wario lands 1, 2 and 3
- Kid Icarus GB
- Tetris GB
- Pokemon Red and Blue

But my question is, can the VC be updated to include new consoles? Maybe a firmware upgrade can do it...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:04:20 PM »
Nintendo has said they can add other systems.

from what people have been able to find out by trying to hack the games, it seems that each game contains the ROM and the Emulator, so there isn't any on board emulators on the Wii.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »
Uniracers has already been mentioned. Other games I want (other than the obvious ones) are Zombies ate my neighbors *BWAH HA HA HA!*  and Lost Vikings.  Both of these were great two player SNES games that I had a great time playing with friends, ah, fond childhood memories.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Wishlist (pictures inside)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:13:14 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
from what people have been able to find out by trying to hack the games, it seems that each game contains the ROM and the Emulator, so there isn't any on board emulators on the Wii.

That sounds... wasteful...
GOREGASM!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 07:31:02 PM »
Ogre Battle plz. The save battery died on my cartridge, and won't hold a save for longer than a couple weeks, so I'm boned.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:19:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Ya it does, But it does prevent hacker from use Nintendo's emulators to run pirated ROMs.  
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
As I mentioned in the other thread, Cap, I really want to see all the Adventure Island games on the VC (all the NES games as well as the SNES games).

Japan's already got the TG-16 version of Adventure Island on their VC, so that'll probably see the light of day elsewhere soon-ish!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 01:20:42 AM »
While those games would be awesome, can you imagine the download times for FF7?  

As far as games whose systems are not currently announced, I'd love to see the Oracle Zelda games for GBC, and definately some King of Fighters games.  

Also, speaking of Arcade Fighters, I wonder if we'll see an "NES Advantage" arcade stick sometime in the near future.

Also, isn't there already a thread for this?
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:12 AM »
Game boy games should be like 300 or 400 if NES games are 500.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 01:53:12 AM »
I support SNK games on the VC.  Neo-Geo, yeah!

It's sad that I had to use MAME to become a huge fan of SNK's games (and other Neo-Geo games).  All I knew about the Neo-Geo until a few years ago was that it was ridiculously expensive, not that popular, and tried to have equal arcade and home console experiences.

But when you play some of the games, as a retrogamer, you can see past the unpopularity of it and you really enjoy the fact that they are new (or recent) games still in 2D.  You look at King Of Fighters 2006 and it's crap.  Give me King Of Fighters '98 any day.  Unfortunately not many people even know of the Neo-Geo, and those that would likely would not have paid $300 per game for the actual hardware.

The Neo-Geo is more than just Bust-A-Move, Metal Slug, and King Of Fighters.  Unfortunately with their many ports and compilations (most recently Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii), it may be a while before they show up on the VC.  However, if the VC proves to be THE place for retrogamers (which it could very well be, at least fully legally), it would be a perfect fit for some of the lost gems on the Neo-Geo.  Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad...yeah!  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 01:53:59 AM »

Ya it does, But it does prevent hacker from use Nintendo's emulators to run pirated ROMs.

It would also allow a developer in theory to if they want to go ahead and make some improvements on the original rom.  Like up the clock a little to speed up framerates.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 02:14:40 AM »

Originally posted by: DrewMG
While those games would be awesome, can you imagine the download times for FF7?  

Well XboxLive has some demos that clock in about 1.5GB and they take about 30-45min for me to download. So I would think if FF7 showed up it would be about the same.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 02:37:18 AM »
FF7 is on 3 CDs. It would probably be more around the 2Gb mark. When I downloaded Ice Hockey last night on the VC it took like a minute. It was probably about 200kb to download. So by that estimate it would take 166 hours to download FF7.  Sorry if my numbers aren't 100% accurate as i'm just speculating.  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 02:47:37 AM »
They aren't accurate.  :P  At least about the 2 GB mark.

It's been said - and I don't have much reason to doubt this - that Final Fantasy VII's game data is essentially the same on all three discs, with the biggest and possibly only difference being the FMVs which take a lot of space.

When I borrowed a PSX to play FF VII, I confirmed this with a particular trick - during game play, at some idle point where the disc isn't being loaded, like when you're standing around, you can safely swap discs.  You'll be able to play the game normally even when another FF VII disc is in there, but when you hit a point where an FMV cutscene would play, you'd instead see a different scene.

Maybe it still would be about a GB, but I doubt all three discs are full up to the max to be approaching two.

Through some optimizations and compressions and whatnot, it's been speculated that FF VII could indeed fit on other formats such as a single DS card.  But for downloading, if it takes a minute to download 200 kB, it will still take a long time to download FF VII, whether it's one CD or three, whether it's several MBs or a GB or two.  If it could download in the background while you do other stuff, then it would be okay.  And directly to an SD card would be nice.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 02:53:27 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
They aren't accurate.  :P  At least about the 2 GB mark.

It's been said - and I don't have much reason to doubt this - that Final Fantasy VII's game data is essentially the same on all three discs, with the biggest and possibly only difference being the FMVs which take a lot of space.

Dude, you're right. I remember actually trying the disc swap thing back in the day. I was confused with the PC version of FF7 which if memory serves was on 4 CDs and took up about 2Gb on the HD.  I could be a little off on the actual size but it was über-huge for it's time.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 03:12:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

It would also allow a developer in theory to if they want to go ahead and make some improvements on the original rom.  Like up the clock a little to speed up framerates.

Also - making a universal emulator that runs every game PERFECTLY - next to impossible.  This is an easy way to tweak individual emus so that they run the individual game without any glitches whatsoever.

Damn I used to spend too much time reading about emulation.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 03:15:27 AM »
Yeesh, I remember being amazed that games could take up like 40 MB.  Now several games are easily multiple GBs.  Now games like LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy surprise me when they only take up one CD-ROM.  Not DVD-ROM, but CD-ROM.  o_0  Even if that's just its compressed, uninstalled state.

The Wii needs to one day use that "Internet2" system or whatever it's called that's capable of downloading gigabytes (or at least hundreds of megabytes) per second.  Though if it was made available for the Wii it would be for available for PCs too and mass DVD piracy will be even more rampant since it won't take like a day to get a movie.  o_0

EDIT: Sorry, the Wikipedia article says the "Internet2" is a consortium, not a network.  The thing I'm referring to is the "Abilene Network", capable of delivering 2.5 gigabits (not gigabytes) per second in 1999 and apparently 10 gigabits per second in 2003.  By the end of 2006, the goal is 100 megabit connectivity at every node...doesn't that mean, like, 12.5 MB at the minimum?  Even that will make a 4.5 GB DVD take only just 6 minutes and 8.64 seconds to download.  A CD-ROM is peanuts at that speed, only 56 seconds.  If a future console can download full last-generation games, that Abilene thing better be made public for more than educational purposes soon!

How long does it take the PS3 to download PSX games for the PSP?  Is it unbearably long?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 05:09:41 AM »
I like how of all the SNES games to ask for the guy wants POWER RANGERS.

I also like how Final Fantasy VII is listed under "Misc".

I think the current method Nintendo is using isn't practical for CD games.  To make that feasible we need more freedom to backup our games.  If you have to delete games and redownload them in order to make room then it just isn't going to work.

And although Final Fantasy VII is really just three discs for the FMVs I doubt Square would go to the trouble to recode the game to take up less space.  It's probably much easier to just throw all three discs on and make it so the game already knows to "switch" discs.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 05:38:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I like how of all the SNES games to ask for the guy wants POWER RANGERS.

I also like how Final Fantasy VII is listed under "Misc".

I think the current method Nintendo is using isn't practical for CD games.  To make that feasible we need more freedom to backup our games.  If you have to delete games and redownload them in order to make room then it just isn't going to work.

And although Final Fantasy VII is really just three discs for the FMVs I doubt Square would go to the trouble to recode the game to take up less space.  It's probably much easier to just throw all three discs on and make it so the game already knows to "switch" discs.

Cap's a BIG Power Rangers fan, and ain't afraid to admit it. He follows all the seasons religiously and introduce me to the rest of the series after I stopped at Zeo.

And like Cap said, there is a higher chance of FFVII appearing as a DS remake than a VC game. If you think about it, it makes sense. So far, we have seen all the classic FF games on the Nintendo handhelds, from 1 to 6. It is obvious that the next step is either remake FFVII or put it on VC.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 06:48:11 AM »
Power Rangers may in general be crap, but I have memories of that Fighting Edition game back when they were still "Mighty Morphin".  I would not be surprised if that was the best game in the franchise.

I think the PC version of Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego? > NES version.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 07:04:36 AM »
I wouldn't mind FF7 appearing as a VC game or a remake. I think it would be cool if Nintendo/their developers actually took the time to put in features like sharper graphics/better color or online multiplayer, but they know they'll sell so many copies regardless...this would also apply to that multi-CD argument: although the majority of the stuff on each CD in a multi-CD game is repeated across all X-number of CDs (this applies not just to FF7, but also to most multi-CD games on PS), it would take some effort to recode the game to handle the revised CD-changing mechanisms. I think it's technically feasible to get FF7 down to a size where it would be under a CD's worth in size (improved video compression?), but it would likely be more effort than Square would deem it to be worth.

It seems like all the FF stuff that's appearing as remakes, though, is stuff that was on non-Sony properties originally. It seems as if most of the post-6 numbered-FF stuff is currently being reserved for Sony properties- the crappy FF7 spin-offs, for example.

It'll never happen, but if Nintendo put Cloud Strife or Sephiroth in SSB:B, they'd crush Sony once and for all...just think about it! All the FF7 fanboys would be forced to get a Wii and SSB:B, at which point they would be exposed to the superiority of Nintendo and forced to forswear their misguided allegiances! Hahaha! Okay, enough random ranting...
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 07:22:12 AM »
Umm, I believe there was a discussion on these boards awhile back talking about the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 being the second game that studio was able to compress onto an N64 cart and that FF7 was the first and only because Square said no about releasing it that they went to Capcom with the RE2 request.  So it is even possible to fit FF7 down to 64MB, isn't it?