Author Topic: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (PC/PS3/X360)  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (PC/PS3/X360)
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »
Recent talk on Radio Free Nintendo has spurred me to find a thread on this game. Since I didn't find one, I figured I might as well start one. After plugging in 21 hours in to the game, I managed to snag all but one gold in the game. That last one is a 13-14 minute doozy of a race and it doesn't help that the AI rubber bands hard in this game.

The power ups are very cool to use, especially the faction specific ones. A good thing before going online would be to level up your powers by taking out the AI with them. Having the higher leveled spike strips will help out a lot.

I have the PC version of the game and my EA ID for it is Eribuster. The Autolog feature is a pretty fun addition to the series with a game specific wall and friend leaderboards.

Edit: http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/game-info
I figure it would be best to include a link to the overview page of the game's website.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:30:55 AM by Enner »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
The last Need For Speed game that I enjoyed was High Stakes 2, I believe. It had a nice, big open world with an over-saturated sepia art style. It was enjoyable. How does the new Hot Pursuit compare?

Really though, I haven't had much need for the franchise since Burnout Paradise. The only thing that NFS has that I feel Burnout is missing is the ability to customize your car and a loose story to keep you interested in your goals. Oh, and it would have been nice to have had the police chase DLC for the fucking PC... Thanks EA!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:06:26 AM »
The last Need For Speed game that I enjoyed was High Stakes 2, I believe. It had a nice, big open world with an over-saturated sepia art style. It was enjoyable. How does the new Hot Pursuit compare?

Really though, I haven't had much need for the franchise since Burnout Paradise. The only thing that NFS has that I feel Burnout is missing is the ability to customize your car and a loose story to keep you interested in your goals. Oh, and it would have been nice to have had the police chase DLC for the fucking PC... Thanks EA!

Sadly, it looks like the PC will get shafted again when it comes to Criterion DLC. Last I checked, the $7 Super Sports Pack is not coming out for the PC. That pack has three new cars and thirteen new events in Seacrest county.

I don't recall there ever being a Need for Speed: High Stakes 2. May you be talking about Need for Speed: Most Wanted? That game's look consisted mostly of shades of brown and yellow. Compared to Most Wanted, Hot Pursuit does not have laughable story cut scenes, car customization outside of colors, Speed Breaker, Pursuit Breakers, or manual gearbox shifting. What it does have is a colorful and varied world made of highways, Mario Kart-like power ups during Hot Pursuit events, and a handling model that I sum up as a heavier version of Burnout. You won't be able to jerk your car side-to-side as quick as you can in Burnout games, but for all turns you only need to brake enough to maintain a good drift line (and you will want to drift through all turns unless they are very shallow).

The events are split up in to races, time trials, gauntlets (time trials with police), and hot pursuits for the Racers and rapid responses (time trial with collision penalties), interceptors (1 vs 1 hot pursuit with no track barriers), and hot pursuits for Cops. There are quite a number of the time trial events for both career factions and it can be quite tricky to obtain the highest medal. Also worth mentioning is that a lot of events restrict your vehicle selections. The racer career (60) has a dozen more events than the cop career (48) and it took me about 20 hours to complete all of them (includes many repeated attempts to get golds; still missing one). Multiplayer lets you play races, interceptor, and hot pursuit events against other people.

Hot Pursuit and Interceptor events are the only events where the power ups are available. You get limited ammunition for them from the start and you have to wait for a cooldown before using them. Both Racers and Cops get EMPs and Spike Strips. Spike Strips are basically banana peels that punish slip streaming. The EMP is a forward-facing homing attack that takes a short time for a lock on to complete before dealing damage. Racer-specific power ups include Turbos (an insane speed and acceleration boost that lasts for a period of time) and Jammers (knocks out cop spike strips and EMPs, disables cop equipment and radar for a period of time, and displays cop roadblocks on your radar). Cop-specific power ups include Helicopters (keeps racers on radar and occasionally drops spike strips ahead of you) and Roadblocks (calls down a roadblock ahead of a racer that is easy to crash in to and hard to dodge perfectly).

Some caveats on the PC version of the game: some people have experienced crashes and inoperable games on multi core systems. A recent patch was supposed to fix that but some users still can't play the game. I have no problem playing the game on the PC even without the first patch so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

Edit: http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/game-info/faq#earnbounty
Huh, the FAQ has some really useful game tips that I didn't know about before, particularly the nitrous entries. This stuff should have been in the manual.

About the level design of the game, all the tracks in the game are connected to each other to form a single cohesive open-world level. However, all the events in the game except for Interceptor feature track barriers of light arrows that prevent you from missing your turn. This is important as all the tracks in this game are long stretches of highways and freeways with no city streets what so ever. There is an option to free roam in the game, but from what I can tell by the career statistics screen there are no goals to accomplish in free roam. If you are looking for an open-world driving game like Burnout Paradise, then Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is not what you are looking for. However, if you missed the more focused and closed racing of Burnout games before Paradise, then Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit will provide you with new happy memories.

As a last note, I have to say that the game looks and sounds beautiful. As it should since DICE helped out with the environments and Electronic Arts has the money to afford many sound recording sessions. DICE's experience from the Rallisport Challenge games has made the coastal, desert, forest, and mountain environments have the right amounts of grit and gloss that look great during racing or the game's photo mode. The engine noise of the various super cars sound great and you will recognize their notes if you're a Top Gear fan like I am. The squeals of the tires sound just right whether you are off road or on tarmac and whether you are maintaining a steady line or constantly over adjusting. Lastly, driving at night in the rain looks appropriately slick and dangerous and the flash and thunder of a lightning bolt will give you a shock in how good it looks and sounds.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:07:42 AM by Enner »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »
I don't recall there ever being a Need for Speed: High Stakes 2. May you be talking about Need for Speed: Most Wanted?

It would seem that you are right. My bad... All of the subtitles kind of blur together in my mind nowadays.

I'll have to keep a look out for this one to go on sale. It sounds like it'd be worth a play, even if not quite meeting my hopes of what an arcade racing game should be. It'll be nice not to take one wrong turn during a race and get lost halfway across the city like in Burnout however. ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
I don't recall there ever being a Need for Speed: High Stakes 2. May you be talking about Need for Speed: Most Wanted?

It would seem that you are right. My bad... All of the subtitles kind of blur together in my mind nowadays.

I'll have to keep a look out for this one to go on sale. It sounds like it'd be worth a play, even if not quite meeting my hopes of what an arcade racing game should be. It'll be nice not to take one wrong turn during a race and get lost halfway across the city like in Burnout however. ;)

I purchased the PC retail version at $35 from Amazon on Black Friday. Recently, there was a one day Steam deal at $30. Since Electronic Arts games seem to get discounted pretty quickly relative to their production values, I don't think you will be waiting too long for a good deal.

Taking the wrong turn in Paradise did get quite annoying. I was surprised to discover that the recommended path the computer suggests by flashing the street you should turn in to was usually faster than the routes I chose.

Shortcuts in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit are mostly off-road and sometimes not short. There are obvious ones that cut a straighter path, but there are some that swing out or are a side path. Most distressing is that they are usually narrower and have debris that you can crash in to. You definitely have to be on your toes or a quick memorizer when you use shortcuts to get a gold in a time trial.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
I don't like this game as much as I did Most Wanted. I liked the fact in that game how all you were suppose to do was to get away from the cops by any means necessary. You didn't have power ups, but you did have an invincible car. It made for some intense run away from the cops.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »
Yeeeeah. I have the Wii version for review. I can tell you all right now that it's a cowpat. Should have a review up sooner. I keep looking for features I might've missed because this is ridiculously bare-bones.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:02:19 PM »
I wonder how much of that is based on the developer. Exient Entertainment did the Wii version, Criterion Games did the other versions.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »

I don't like this game as much as I did Most Wanted. I liked the fact in that game how all you were suppose to do was to get away from the cops by any means necessary. You didn't have power ups, but you did have an invincible car. It made for some intense run away from the cops.

Personally, some of the Most Wanted chases can drag on for a long time. Hitting the Speed Breakers and Pursuit Breakers and finding a hiding spot are good mechanics, but I like the power ups and take downs of Hot Pursuit in how it makes the pursuits faster and more immediate. Ah, it's a shame that there aren't Interceptor events as a Racer. I guess the Cop AI couldn't be tuned in a way to make it fun and challenging.

Another thing to mention about Hot Pursuit is that cars have a health bar and one life per an event. Crashes don't cause too much damage and racers don't major damage against each other so you won't be taking down people in Race events. In single player, a good hit takes out a lot of health during a hot pursuit. In multiplayer, it takes quite a bit longer. As you can guess, the faster the shunt or slam, the more damage. I've yet to test it, but I think you do more damage overall if you pick a heavier car.

I wonder how much of that is based on the developer. Exient Entertainment did the Wii version, Criterion Games did the other versions.

Exient is a port mule. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exient_Entertainment
I don't know what they're capable of since all they do is contract work to fill in some SKU holes in a publisher's portfolio. It's possible they aren't capable of any quality.

I've only seen their work on Youtube. That said, I don't understand why Hot Pursuit (Wii) looks as bad as it does when Undercover (Wii) looks okay.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (PC/PS3/X360)
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:18 PM »
Been playing this recently, and I've had a change off heart. I know exactly the moment I went from "This is OK" to "Holy **** I want more!" too.

One hot pursuit challenge has you racing in a Lamborghini against other cars of the same type down a highway, then off into the desert, then back on the highway for the last stretch. Why was this race so fun? Well because I was pushing 200+ damn near constantly, sliding in and out of oncoming traffic, around roadblocks and spike strips, while gunning nitrous after every drift. It felt so tangible and intense, especially when I hit the all new "Turbo". Understated for sure, because if my car had wings, I would have flown. One of the best moments was when a cop tried to pit maneuver me just as I was about to crash into a roadblock. This cop was flying in from a shortcut just to the right of me, ready to **** me up. While yelling "**** ITTT!" I hit the e-brake and spun my car clockwise like a top. The cop grazed me, crashed into one of his own parked trucks, and flew about 50 feet in the air off a cliff. I **** you not, during the most amazing "Takedown" cut-scene I've ever seen, the cop was blocking out the god damn sun. Afterwards, I was through as if nothing happened.

I'm hooked.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:25:59 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Enner

• View Profile
Re: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (PC/PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
I love Turbo. Such a superb experience of game, visuals, and sound coming together in a rapturous moment. If I recall, that event is Stampede. Definitely one of the many awesome events in the game.

After 30 hours in the game, I'm pretty much done with it. There's nothing much for me to do other than replay events and try to beat friend times. There is multiplayer, but the PC community for this is pretty dead. There are too many potential lobbies, no in-game communication, and no way to know if and where other public games are running. It's not too much of an issue for me since I'm not that big on online multiplayer, but the few times I've tried some online Hot Pursuits were very fun so this it is a shame.