Author Topic: Excitebots:Trick Racing!  (Read 99412 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Excitebots:Trick Racing!
« Reply #275 on: April 23, 2009, 02:25:56 AM »
Beat Platinum Cup and now I have to get S ranking on all of the tracks to get Super Excite mode.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »
Glad to see I was wrong. I might actually have to pick this up now!
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:13 AM »
This thread is full of sadness for me.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
I was just playing online and there is another cup after platinum.Its called Crystal Cup and I think you guys are going to be happy with one of the tracks.

interesting... i haven't completed any cups after bronze because i was just playing VS Excite with my gf, and i love how familiar those first few levels feel. Anyone thats played ExciteTrucks will have a sense of deja vu come over them.

I'm going to have to back up Mr. Jacks claims, for those that are curious about the online. Its all a very smooth, uncomplicated process to just jump on and start a random match. My first time signing on, i had to watch a race in progress but because race time limits are usually no more than 2-3 mins (and theres a time limit to reach the finish line after the the player in 1st places crosses it on the final lap), its wasn't an excessive wait and probably never will be.

Setting up a match is easy, you just sign in and  you're in the lobby already. From there you pick your Bot & color, and have the option to view player stats for the other 5 racers while you wait for their selections. Stats include a win/loss record and their number of Stars. Stars are points awarded to you for doing stunts in the game and can be used to purchase things in-game like new vehicles FYI. After everyones selected a Bot, you vote for a level (luckily for me everyone kept picking random so the process was even faster) and like in mario kart, the level is selected at random from those voted in.

I played at least 3 online races and every time it was very quick to set-up. Finding other players felt MUCH quicker than mario kart by the way. The races themselves were, flawless. No lag or hiccups at all, it felt like playing the single player races, but the other bots were out to get you (items, bot smashes). Speaking of items, let me eas your worries here; the game plays nothing like Mario Kart because of them, theres no type of blue shell item to worry about. Like others have said, with the more open environments of ExciteX the few attack items i've seen are almost useless because you'll probably never see your other racers; you'll either be too far above/below you, too far ahead/behind you, or on a different path all together. That said, the few times you are hit with an item (like the hilarious wind-up dentures) it hardly impedes on your racing. The dentures, for instance, can be shaken with with a shake of the remote and they really don't slow you down all that much. You get get it off you in a second, and use boost to regain your speed. Not annoying in the slightest really.

I gotta get back to work but those are my quick impressions. I'll go into even more detail if thats what the people on the fence about buying this want, or if anyone has any specific questions i'll answer them here.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
I'm can't wait to play it this weekend!

And Maxi:

Are there space levels?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »

And Maxi:

Are there space levels?

You better play me this weekend! It'll be SO moist.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
I'll try to play maybe a game or two on Sunday. Can't promise anything though.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »

So be it. I'm usually free all day Sundays so I'll be on, gettin my ExciteOn

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2009, 01:13:14 PM »

And Maxi:

Are there space levels?
Yes that was the track that I was talking about when I was playing online on the crystal cup.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
Hey EasyCure since you have been playing multiplayer what are the options for screen layout. Can you have the screen vertical and horizontal?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
if you liked excitetrucks even a lil, youll love this game. it does everything that title did, but better.

Got my copy today and if you were a fan of Excitetruck you will LOVE this game.

Any fans of Excite Truck out there should definitely pick this one up.

I want to know how the game compares to Mario Kart Wii.

I never played Excite Truck.  I'm not a huge racing fan so I can generally get by with just Mario Kart for any given console generation.  However, I've probably played more Mario Kart Wii than all other Mario Kart games combined due to local multiplayer.  So I want to know how the multiplayer compares to MK Wii.  How does steering compare?  The game looks pretty crazy so I'm worried that the mini-games won't work very well in split-screen.  What about the overall look/feel of the game?  A big part of the allure of Mario Kart is the funny characters and wacky locals.  I don't think Excitebots will have this same appeal.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »
Does this new iteration capture the same magic as the original?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:22:14 PM by D_Average »
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »
That was quite possible the worst thing I've ever seen.  I want those three minutes back.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
if you liked excitetrucks even a lil, youll love this game. it does everything that title did, but better.

Got my copy today and if you were a fan of Excitetruck you will LOVE this game.

Any fans of Excite Truck out there should definitely pick this one up.

I want to know how the game compares to Mario Kart Wii.

I never played Excite Truck.  I'm not a huge racing fan so I can generally get by with just Mario Kart for any given console generation.  However, I've probably played more Mario Kart Wii than all other Mario Kart games combined due to local multiplayer.  So I want to know how the multiplayer compares to MK Wii.  How does steering compare?  The game looks pretty crazy so I'm worried that the mini-games won't work very well in split-screen.  What about the overall look/feel of the game?  A big part of the allure of Mario Kart is the funny characters and wacky locals.  I don't think Excitebots will have this same appeal.

In my opinion the two series have their own distinct flavor but they both have the same level of fun to me. Yes, ExciteBots is more on the zany/whacky side of things compared to its big brother ExciteTrucks what with items and minigames, etc, but its still very different from Mario Kart in how that fun is presented.

In MK(Wii) you have your cast of colorful characters and the racing mechanics are the same as they've been in every other MK (for the most part) and what sets it apart from your standard racer is the items. As i've mentioned (maybe not in this topic, but in the Impressions thread) the items in ExciteTrucks are NOTHING like those in MK:W. There's only 2 attack items i've encountered, and they're there more to be fun then to give you a winning edge.

ExciteBots (and trucks) isn't just about pulling in the lead and crossing the finish line, and this is the key difference to Mario Kart. While you race you have to pull off stunts to earn stars, every level has a designated number of points you must beat in order to succesfully pass that stage and move on to the next one. Gathering these stars is where the hectic gameplay makes it fun (for me) because on top of making sure you come in first (if only for the 50pts you win for getting the "1st place Bonus), you're doing turbo jumps, performing poll spins, gliding thru the air to pass thru rings or collecting butterflies! Hell, you get points for smashing into other bots, smashing your bot to peices (the worse the wreckage, the more the points).

One of my favorite lil additions to this is when you take a jump in the wrong direction, and you fly into the levels borders (normally invisible until you come close enough to them, then represented as a wall of yellow arrows pointing you in the right direction)... in Excite Trucks, you'd just keep falling until you landed, and chances are you'd be stuck on the wall and have to reverse to get back on track. In ExciteBots hitting that wall too hard, you don't crash but it causes your bot to stall, and you have to manauver the wiiremote to keep it from going into a tailspin; if you land on your wheels you get a recovery bonuses (as well as a cute animation from your bot!) of you crash, you get a crash bonus!

I'm going to go ahead and say it, i prefer ExciteBots to Mario Kart any day of the week. There's just so much more to do that the game is this constant adrenaline rush! If you're in the lead in Mario Kart, you don't really do much other than dodge incoming attacks from the rear.. and that gets boring if you're good at the game. In ExciteTrucks you have to keep your points up because even if you cross that finish line first, if the guy in second (or third!) rank up more points then you, they get the win. There's no break in action and i LOVE it! I had an online match yesterday against some dude named Kyle who thought he was the **** cuz he'd won a few matches, so i step up to challenge him... he bets 500pts on the race, comes in first.. i came in second but got the win (and the points!) because i pulled off more tricks than him. He stopped playing after that ;)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
That was quite possible the worst thing I've ever seen.  I want those three minutes back.

I echo this sentiment, and i only saw 10sec without sound.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »

I got as far as them saying their game was Excite Bike and that they were 'excited'. I then closed the tab and shivered.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
Damn it wasn't that ba

I got as far as them saying their game was Excite Bike and that they were 'excited'. I then closed the tab and shivered.

Damn!  It wasn't that bad!  Am I the only one here that actually grew up in the 80's?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2009, 06:01:09 PM »
Damn it wasn't that ba

Damn!  It wasn't that bad!  Am I the only one here that actually grew up in the 80's?

I try to forget half of the things that came out in the eighties. Though I will grant there was a lot of awesomeness then as well. I never liked things like this back then. Over the top energy was typically too much for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »
Hey EasyCure since you have been playing multiplayer what are the options for screen layout. Can you have the screen vertical and horizontal?

Great question! That is precisely what killed Excite Trucks for me. The multiplayer was simply no fun due to the orientation of the split-screen, which was a shame given how great the solo mode was.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »

Great question! That is precisely what killed Excite Trucks for me. The multiplayer was simply no fun due to the orientation of the split-screen, which was a shame given how great the solo mode was.

ill be honest, i didnt mess around with the options to see if there was a way to have it do horizontal split screen... i think im used to playing excitetrucks odd vert-splitscreen so it doesnt phase me much. ill double check the options and post my findings here.

dont let that keep you from playing this game though! the vs race is still 1v1 sadly but i feel that the online makes up for it. this game is like one step forward, and a halfstep backwards... but the pros outweigh the cons dammit!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »
I play on a widescreen TV and since this is a racing game I am much more concerned with what is in front of me than what is on my sides.  Vertical split screen makes perfect sense, dammit!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »
I play on a widescreen TV and since this is a racing game I am much more concerned with what is in front of me than what is on my sides.  Vertical split screen makes perfect sense, dammit!

It makes more sense in ExciteBots (and to an extent Trucks) than a more formal racer than Mario Kart. Why? You spend just as much time flying over the course as you do on it, and having a vertical plane of view makes it easier to see whats up ahead since whats at your sides isn't that important. The only instances i can think of where a wider view would of been more practical, are when I'd miss one of the branched off paths, but theres only a few that aren't clearly visible from far back anyway.

If you let vertical split screen keep you from playing this game, you're a bastard!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

Stogi could you add your code the the FC thread.Also anybody else that has their code avalable.
I want to play on Sunday.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »

Stogi could you add your code the the FC thread.Also anybody else that has their code avalable.

Stogi will be a no-show. We need GP to post hers (if she hasn't already) and... thats it?!?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »

Stogi will be a no-show. We need GP to post hers (if she hasn't already) and... thats it?!?
She hasn't posted hers yet.FOC might get it from Amazon soon.
Alexis, she/her/Miss