Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3163476 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #3125 on: November 21, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »
Is anyone else concerned over the huge number of Wiis Nintendo is shipping this and next month? With so little new games I think they might stop selling out, this could be bad for their momentum.

Well if you haven't played it it's new to you.  For me this Christmas is a barren wastleland.  But I own almost Wii game I want to own.  So new stuff is very important.  But if I just bought a Wii brand new right now I would have a good amount of games to play, at least for a few months.

Still any significant lull in the release schedule isn't so good.  What does Nintendo have in store for a few months from now when all the new Wii owners want something new to play?

Nintendo should be more concerned about the existing Wii userbase who might be turned off by the slim picking this Christmas.  But they might not care because the blue ocean market likely doesn't buy games throughout the year like we do so something like SSB might be new to them.  Nintendo has really targetted a market that requires minimal effort to please.  As much as I feel they don't deserve it, they'll probably be fine.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: November 22, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
What does Nintendo have in store for a few months from now when all the new Wii owners want something new to play?

Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment 2, etc.  Do you not read any of Deg's crazy-long rants against you?  It would be a real shame if he were trolling you for nothing.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3127 on: November 22, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
Vudu I think Ian has a selective memory. I think we should just link to that Fall event thread when he complains about the lack of games.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #3128 on: November 24, 2008, 04:29:22 PM »
   3. Grand Theft Auto IV PS3/360 combined (3.2 million, estimated)

I thought I saw ~8 million being kicked around a few weeks ago.  Granted, that was worldwide, but considering it's only sold a couple hundred thousand copies in Japan, I find it hard to believe the game sold 5 million copies in Europe.  What gives?

It's because the figure listed, 3.2 million, is incorrect. That's for the 360 version only.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55947
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: November 24, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »
Nintendo should be more concerned about the existing Wii userbase who might be turned off by the slim picking this Christmas.  But they might not care because the blue ocean market likely doesn't buy games throughout the year like we do so something like SSB might be new to them.  Nintendo has really targetted a market that requires minimal effort to please.  As much as I feel they don't deserve it, they'll probably be fine.

Yes, they will.  The people buying Wiis now don't care about anything but Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Kart Wii.  The charts prove that.

Nintendo typically leaves third-parties to bat clean-up (see the DS), but since third-parties don't really care about Wii right now, you have the Christmas drought that you're looking at right now.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:49 PM »
Still getting caught off-guard by the Wii's success?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: November 24, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
Nintendo typically leaves third-parties to bat clean-up (see the DS), but since third-parties don't really care about Wii right now, you have the Christmas drought that you're looking at right now.

More like Nintendo gives them the stage and they run out naked.  No Wonder Nintendo's game's sell the most... out of any console.  Nintendo doesn't half-ass Mario Kart, or Wii Fit, or Wii Sports.  The third parties' DS failures are their own fault.  Just like their Wii failures.  This used to be the way it works until Nintendo is somehow responsible for third parties making garbage games... somehow.  Third party game made up 20% of games sold on the DS in 2004-2005.  Because Nintendo made awesome and third parties made garbage.  Same Deal with Wii.  Nintendo Makes Mario Kart and Smash Bros.  Awesome.  Profit.  Third parties make garbage.  They suck and fail.  It's not hard.

And Wii owners ALSO care about Smash Bros. Brawl too.  That game has sold as much in almost one year what Smash Bros. Melee sold in five.  And sold more than the "only game Wii owners care about" Mario Kart.   Wii owners... buying hardcore games.  Who'da thunk?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:15:52 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: November 25, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »
Wii owners...buying Nintendo games.  Who'da thunk?

Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: November 25, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »
No.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: November 25, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »

It's not that Nintendo games are selling well on a Nintendo console, it's that they're selling better than ever before.

So either all these new gamers have instantly been converted into Nintendo fanboys (fangrannies lololololol), or people are buying these games because they're good and there's a lot of positive word of mouth.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: November 25, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »

Well when most of the best games on the system are made by Nintendo, that's why.  It's the same reason why Nintendo games sold the best on the N64 and Gamecube as well as the DS.

The only time a third party released a major quality title with mass market appeal on a Nintendo console that rivaled Nintendo's best in the last 10 years was Capcom with Resident Evil 4 and guess what, it was the best selling Gamecube game in 2005.  Not to mention the port of it for the Wii has sold around 1.4 million copies which is the same as the 360 version of Dead Rising and just 100,000 less then Lost Planet.

The funny thing is though both Dead Rising and Lost Planet got huge advertising campaigns while Resident Evil 4 Wii didn't.  And yet, just as many people bought RE4 Wii on the Wii, as 360 owner bought DR and LP.

If more third party released games of RE4's quality and they'd bother to market them, they'd be rewarded with sales just as good, if not better.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #3136 on: November 25, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »
The funny thing is though both Dead Rising and Lost Planet got huge advertising campaigns while Resident Evil 4 Wii didn't.  And yet, just as many people bought RE4 Wii on the Wii, as 360 owner bought DR and LP.

However, RE4 was also discounted, which in itself probably acted to market the game toward people browsing the game racks.

Speaking of, though... does anyone know how RE: Umbrella Chronicles did?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: November 25, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

However, RE4 was also discounted, which in itself probably acted to market the game toward people browsing the game racks.

Speaking of, though... does anyone know how RE: Umbrella Chronicles did?

I don't know the exact number but I do know that it topped 1 million.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: November 25, 2008, 04:22:30 PM »
The only time a third party released a major quality title with mass market appeal on a Nintendo console that rivaled Nintendo's best in the last 10 years was Capcom with Resident Evil 4 and guess what, it was the best selling Gamecube game in 2005.  Not to mention the port of it for the Wii has sold around 1.4 million copies which is the same as the 360 version of Dead Rising and just 100,000 less then Lost Planet.

RE4 should have put up big numbers, since it's virtually unique on the GameCube platform.  It was a hugely-anticipated title, in an extremely popular series, from a top-quality third-party developer, built from the ground up for the GameCube, and even exclusive for a while.  Can anybody name one other game that matches that criteria on GameCube?  Probably not.  I think RE4 is an exception in terms of sales, not the rule.  What I mean by that is that there was vitually no way it could fail in the marketplace, given the circumstances of its release.  It's like putting Dragon Quest IX on PSP, watching it sell a gazillion copies, and then turning around and saying, "See?  PSP games sell!"
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: November 25, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »

RE4 should have put up big numbers, since it's virtually unique on the GameCube platform.  It was a hugely-anticipated title, in an extremely popular series, from a top-quality third-party developer, built from the ground up for the GameCube, and even exclusive for a while.  Can anybody name one other game that matches that criteria on GameCube?  Probably not.  I think RE4 is an exception in terms of sales, not the rule.  What I mean by that is that there was vitually no way it could fail in the marketplace, given the circumstances of its release.  It's like putting Dragon Quest IX on PSP, watching it sell a gazillion copies, and then turning around and saying, "See?  PSP games sell!"

Yeah except they didn't put DQIX on PSP, so that is a bad argument.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: November 25, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »
No it's not.  My point is that putting a sure-fire hit third-party game on an underperforming console and seeing it do well doesn't prove anything.  THAT game will sell, but good luck with everything else.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:13 PM »
No it's not.  My point is that putting a sure-fire hit third-party game on an underperforming console and seeing it do well doesn't prove anything.  THAT game will sell, but good luck with everything else.

That is why they put it on DS instead.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: November 25, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »
It was a hypothetical example...oh forget it.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »
It was a hypothetical example...oh forget it.

:P

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: November 26, 2008, 03:12:27 AM »

Well, third parties claim games don't sell on Nintendo systems if they're not by Nintendo. The problem is that they're comparing their B-grade efforts to Nintendo games that are hugely popular, in an extremely popular series, built from the ground for the system they're on and completely exclusive. RE4 is simply equal to Nintendo's games in these respects and yes it does sell. Of course RE4 was bound to sell but third parties claimed Nintendo consoles behave differently. RE4 proves that they don't.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

So... in order to get sales on Nintendo platforms... They should bring their best and brightest franchises and sure-fire hits and give full-assed efforts?  Awesome.  Glad we agree.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3146 on: November 26, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
Must-have ass must be full.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: November 26, 2008, 05:11:29 PM »
RE4 should have put up big numbers, since it's virtually unique on the GameCube platform.  It was a hugely-anticipated title, in an extremely popular series, from a top-quality third-party developer, built from the ground up for the GameCube, and even exclusive for a while.  Can anybody name one other game that matches that criteria on GameCube?

Do REmake and RE0 count?  ;)

You're right though.  It's the Final Fantasy VII effect.  The Playstation was selling all right and all and attracting good third party support but Square jumping from Nintendo to Sony was still seen as a huge deal.  And for good reason.  Final Fantasy VII was such a huge game that whatever console it was on it was going to be a hit.  It's what a system seller is.

You look at Metal Gear Solid 4 and think "well why the hell are they releasing that as a PS3 exclusive when that's the last place console?"  Because it's Metal Gear Solid 4.  You don't buy it because you have a PS3, you consider buying a PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid 4.

This is why when people point to this and that as proof the Wii has decent third party support I'm not convinced.  We aren't getting those "this will be huge no matter what console we design it for" games.  I got Zach & Wiki a few months ago in a bargain bin.  That's a good game.  And it's third party and it's by Capcom.  Good job, Capcom.  BUT virtually no one would consider buying a Wii because that game is on it.  It's not that sort of game, even though it's good and worth having in the Wii library.  Capcom however does make those sorts of games but they aren't releasing them on the Wii.  Thus we're not Capcom's focus.  Capcom's best output is going to the Xbox 360.  Thus Microsoft has Capcom's true support.  Healthy third party support should mean being the focus of the third parties that matter and getting almost all of their big titles.  I can't think of ANY third party who is giving that kind of support to the Wii.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: November 27, 2008, 04:12:54 AM »
Capcom's best output is going to the Xbox 360.

For a sufficiently low standard of "best", yeah.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: November 27, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »
Media Create 11/17 - 11/24

01. [WII]   Animal Crossing: City Folk    (Nintendo)  305,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Chrono Trigger DS (Square Enix) 271,000 / NEW
03. [PSP] Gundam vs. Gundam (Namco Bandai) 267,000 / NEW
04. [360] The Last Remnant (Square Enix) 101,000 / NEW
05. [NDS] Saka DS: Touch and Go (SEGA) 72,000 / NEW
06. [NDS] Hoshi no Kirby: Ultra Super Deluxe (Nintendo) 55,000 / 418,000
07. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode (Nintendo) 25,000 / 209,000
08. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) 25,000 / 1,184,000
09. [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Pokémon) 24,000 / 1,941,000
10. [PS3] Way of the Samurai 3 (Spike) 20,000 / 100,000

11. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
12. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Konami)
13. [PSP] Prinny (Japan's Software)
14. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (SCE)
15. [PS2] Nightmare Princess??? (Yeti)
16. [360] Otomediusu (Konami)
17. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
18. [NDS] Fushigi no Dungeon Fuurai no Shiren DS 2: Sabaku no Majou (SEGA)
19. [NDS] DS Nishimura Kyoutarou Suspense 2 Shintantei Series:… (Tecmo)
20. [NDS] Ryuusei no Rockman 3: Black Ace (Capcom)
21. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
22. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo)
23. [PSP] Rachet & Clank: Maru Hi Ignition (SCE)
24. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom)
25. [PS2] The Shield of AIGIS (Alchemist)
26. [PS3] Resistance 2 (SCE)
27. [PS2] Hitman Reborn: Forbidden… (Marvelous)
28. [WII] Family Ski World Ski & Snowboard (Namco Bandai)
29. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
30. [NDS] Personal Trainer: Walking (Nintendo)

DSi - 88,843
PSP - 61,226
Wii - 35,298
DSL - 18,580
PS3 - 17,436
X360 - 15,474
PS2 - 5,281
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/