Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 717779 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #1650 on: March 02, 2008, 08:24:45 PM »
I just want to thank whoever is responsible for getting us this early info...I always stop by here to check out what games will be coming out ahead of time.  Thanks!  :-)
Your very welcome Bizzy. I would like to thank everybody for responding. I have a question for everybody I haven't played a Neo-geo.  I downloaded Magician Lord, but what are some good games for it?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: March 02, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
I received Baseball Stars 2 as a present from Golden Phoenix.  It's a fun arcadey game.  The look of the players is completely over the top, but the game is pretty true to the sport.  However, don't expect stat-tracking or any of that crap.  In single player mode there's a season you can play through (15 games, I believe).  It keeps track of your win-loss ratio, but I think that's about it.  I haven't made it the entire way through a season yet, so I'm not sure what happens at the end (if anything).  I've only had the opportunity to play single player, but I imagine the 2 player game is quite fun.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1652 on: March 02, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »
I recently found out that I don't really like sim sports to much. I will probably dl it if there isn't any thing that I don't want on Monday.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1653 on: March 02, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
I just found out that my source says that it is unlikely that he can get the PR in time if he  does he will let me know if not see you in the morning.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
I have a question for everybody I haven't played a Neo-geo.  I downloaded Magician Lord, but what are some good games for it?

You can play a bunch of Neo-Geo games for free at GameTap.com (link). In my opinion, the Metal Slug series is the most entertaining. The Neo-Geo platform is mostly dedicated to fighting games, of which I'm not a fan, unfortunately. The King of Fighters series is, from what I can tell, a pretty difficult series in which button-mashing is useless, so if you're a hardcore fan of fighting games you might enjoy it.

More on topic, is there anything new on VC this week?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: March 03, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1656 on: March 08, 2008, 12:33:21 AM »
Well it looks like we have to wait till the morning to find out what the game is. In the meantime more speculation! :) I dl Baseball stars 2 the other day very fun and awesome game. I like the animations. I like the fight animations, the way the pitcher looks when he's tired. I also like the music as well! What have you Dled recently?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: March 08, 2008, 01:03:50 AM »
I'm actually building up a backlog of VC games I want. But thats not too bad, because BLADES OF STEEL IS AWESOME!!! OMG I love that game. I love it so so so so so so so so so much much much.

I swear, if Blades of Steel cost $50, I'd buy it. Over Super Mario Striker's Charged. Yeah, you heard me!

Actually, I heard somewhere that Earthbound was ripped out of the US version of brawl... that makes me sad.... especially because I can't live with the expectation that EB is right around the corner due to the brawl release.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 08, 2008, 02:08:16 AM »
Blades of Steel is great, and Ice Hockey is almost as great. You mentioned Strikers, there are a lot of similarities between Ice Hockey and Strikers.

I've bought 4 VC games in the last few weeks, Harvest Moon (one of my all time favorites), Phantasy Star II (which I actually haven't played yet), Kirby 64, and Wrecking Crew (both of which I'm really enjoying). That brings me to 58 Virtual Console games, how many are you up to Kairon? I'll probably be getting Super Turrican soon, a friend of mine is getting me a VC game for my birthday Sunday and I said that I was interested in that, though I told him to hold off until Monday in case something great comes out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1659 on: March 08, 2008, 04:04:53 AM »
Insanolord what are you doing for your birthday? Are you gonna play Brawl all day? More on topic how is Phantasy Star 2 Insanolord? You gotta play it to let me know how it is!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: March 08, 2008, 05:24:41 AM »
I think you pulled ahead of me Insanolord. How many did I have last time I listed them? 53 or something like that? I'm prob at about 55 now because of my stated backlog. And what's wrecking crew like? I've never heard of such a game!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: March 08, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
I plan to go to a football game with a friend of mine in the afternoon and go out to eat with my family after that, and I won't get the game until after that, but thanks to my Half-mad Half-insaneā„¢ sleep schedule I'll be able to play the game all night and most of Monday. But I'll probably want to play a bit of MLB 2K8 which I'm getting then too.

I can't believe I managed to go ahead of you, Kairon. Imagine how many I'd have if I weren't holding back because of my lack of space. Wrecking Crew is a very cool action-puzzle game. You have to destroy most everything in the level, but it has to be done the right way or else you'll be in a situation where you can't get to stuff you need to destroy, and also there are enemies that chase you and can kill you. It even has the patented Lolo suicide button.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 08, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »
I dl Baseball stars 2 the other day very fun and awesome game. I like the animations. I like the fight animations, the way the pitcher looks when he's tired.

Fight animations?  Huh?  Have I somehow missed an entire aspect of the game or are you mistaken?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1663 on: March 08, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »
do ri mi fantasy is a SNES game. also Puyo Puyo 2 for the Genesis. I am not sure what do ri me fantasy is. As for baseball stars 2 when you get hit by a pitch your player hits the player.
Edit: Upon further research The Do ri me Fantasy is the sequel of Million's Secret castle.  This game was only released in japan. The game itself looks like Link got Bubble Bobble powers and put in the world of sonic.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:22:55 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: March 08, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
There is absolutely no reason to release Puyo Puyo 2 on the VC. It was pushing it when we had both Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche, but I put up with that because it was 2 different mascots and 2 different companies. To put this in Smash Bros. terms, Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche are Fox and Falco. They're basically identical, but we put up with it. Puyo Puyo 2 is Wolf, they added a third nearly identical game, when Sega has so many better choices available to them (like oh say Vectorman, which has been out for 11 months in Europe and hasn't yet been released here).

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: March 08, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
I can't believe I managed to go ahead of you, Kairon. Imagine how many I'd have if I weren't holding back because of my lack of space. Wrecking Crew is a very cool action-puzzle game. You have to destroy most everything in the level, but it has to be done the right way or else you'll be in a situation where you can't get to stuff you need to destroy, and also there are enemies that chase you and can kill you. It even has the patented Lolo suicide button.

Haha, don't worry, one of these days I'll find the money in my budget (pretty tight right now since I'm trying to put more of my money into my savings account and less into third party wallets) to buy the load of games I want. Don't worry, I have a list, so when that day comes I'll be ready!

Actually, I'm not held back by space issues at all. I have a 1GB SD card in my Wii that I back up ALL my VC games to and there's still 4400 something odd blocks free, so space isn't a limitation. I just make sure to keep the most relevant games on my Wii's own memory already, like the entire Mario and Zelda series! (I think I'll drop it down to just 6 or 7 VC games on my Wii at any one time though in the future)

This is what's wrong with Nintendo's refridgerator analogy, and people who live in cold places will know this. You shouldn't just have a refridgerator, you need a FREEZER TOO!!! You have the fridge (Wii memory), and the freezer (SD Card), and things you need easily accessible is in the fridge, and things you need for long-term cold storage goes in the freezer! Easy-peasy!

Oh, and Wrecking Ball sounds rad insanolord. I'm putting it on my list!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 08, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
I have an SD card as well, but with the encryption scheme Nintendo has with the SD card copying games back onto the Wii is only marginally faster than redownloading them. I like to have as many games as possible available for me to play at one time, and every time I have to make space it gets harder and harder to choose what to delete. I need to work hard and finish up Paper Mario, because deleting that will give me a lot of space. And the name of the game is Wrecking Crew, and I wouldn't have downloaded it if not for the same friend that is buying me Super Turrican. I don't know what got him to buy it, he usually doesn't like to buy games that he hasn't played before, but I'm glad he did, because it gave me the chance to try it out.

J.P. Corbran

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 09, 2008, 01:33:13 AM »
Blades of Steel is great, and Ice Hockey is almost as great. You mentioned Strikers, there are a lot of similarities between Ice Hockey and Strikers.

You're so right about this. From the pacing to the number of players to the hitting (you're allowed to a split second after they get rid of the ball) to the rebounds, and lots more. It's a hockey game at heart, and I think partly because it's made in Vancouver.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1668 on: March 10, 2008, 02:13:47 AM »
Ok I have to send my wii to Nintendo so I am preaty sure that I won't be able to post next Mondays game. So as a precaution I will let everybody know where I get my info from it is in this topic, but if by Tuesday no one finds it and posts that they find it. Then I will tell everybody when and where I get it.Happy searching. :)
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #1669 on: March 10, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »
Today:
DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure  (SNES Japan Import: 900 pts)
Puyo Puyo 2: Tsuu (Genesis Japan Import: 900 pts)

I'm pumped about the Milon's Secret Castle sequel. I loved the original. I hope this one's even better!
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 10, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
Wow.  I never thought I see a DoReMi game being an import.  I've watched some of the show...
Still think that Super Smash Bros was a missed oppurtunity.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 10, 2008, 02:03:36 PM »
DoReMi Fantasy looks adorable. <3
GOREGASM!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
Wow.  I never thought I see a DoReMi game being an import.  I've watched some of the show...
Still think that Super Smash Bros was a missed oppurtunity.

Agreed, but I think it would have been better to release late last year, or when the delay was announced.  The latter might have generated too much cynicism, though.

I'm still waiting for the release of Super Mario RPG, which was annouced ages ago.  I'm also disappointed (but not surprised) to see that Earthbound wasn't on the Masterpieces selection in the release of SSBB.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 15, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »
This week's games are Spelunker [NES] (wtf) and Super R-Type [SNES].

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 18, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »
A friend of my brother had Spelunker on his NES.  I always find it interesting when someone I know had some obscure NES game that I had never heard of at the time.  How the hell does a kid end with such a game?  Anyway it's not a good game at all but when you're a kid and you don't have any other games you're not picky.  So he played it a lot but the music is really depressing and that combined with the game being hard and unforgiving it used to bum him out a lot as a kid.

It's funny because when you're a kid with only one or two games you sometimes assume that a bad game is supposed to be good but you just happen to suck at it.  It takes a while for you to realize that, no, this game just sucks.  I had that with Bubsy.  Why was Super Mario World so much fun to play while Bubsy wasn't?  Oh it was because Bubsy sucks!  Though with games being so easy these days I wonder if kids today can relate.  I used to assume games were supposed to provide a challenge and assumed if I was better at a bullsh!tingly hard game it would be fun.