Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Dreams  (Read 31862 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros. Dreams
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

The characters, items, stages, and more we want to see in the upcoming Smash Bros. games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/33602

It should be no surprise that the staff here at Nintendo World Report is full of Super Smash Bros. fans. Nintendo’s popular fighter has won a special place in our hearts for throwing some of the biggest Nintendo stars together in a great series of fighting games.

Like many fans of the series, we often dream about what the next Smash Bros. games would be like if they were to include some of our favorite characters, items, stages, and more.

In an effort to share these dreams, we present the Super Smash Bros. Dreams feature. In each update we’ll take a closer look at a character we feel deserves a spot on the Super Smash Bros. roster. There will also be a bonus section where we look at other features, items, and stages we’d like to see added to the upcoming games.

To browse our current Smash Bros. Dreams, just use the table of contents located on the right side of this page. More will be added on a near-weekly basis, so be sure to check back here soon. Additionally, feel free to drop a comment below if there is a certain character you’d like to see us discuss, and maybe they will make it into our Super Smash Bros. Dreams.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Dreams
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
I'd be rather surprised if Little Mac wasn't playable in the next Smash Bros. games.

I was never a fan of the Assist Trophies. I felt like they made the Pokeball less special.

I could go on and on over which characters I want and why. I'd love to see the entire Earthbound gang though perhaps that's too much representation for a series that is essentially over and not one of Nintendo's major ones. Paper Mario would be interesting. Dark Samus should have been in Brawl. I think Bayonetta has a reasonably decent chance of making it though the partial nudity and guns could be problematic. Vacuum Luigi should replace regular Luigi, but probably won't. Same with Super Princess Peach. I still think Midna with Wolf Link (or even just Midna) could be awesome.

I wonder who the obscure character is going to be this time. Mike Jones from StarTropics? Anyone from Marvelous: Another Treasure Island? Jumpman? Not Mario, but like the sprite of Jumpman treated as a separate character from Mario.

I'd be surprised if Snake didn't come back, but I wish Nintendo could get Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain on Wii U so Snake's appearance would mean more. The only original title Snake appeared in on a Nintendo system was Ghost Babel which was awesome, but people barely remember it. I see no reason why Sonic shouldn't come back. I really want Mega Man too. He's the only third party character I absolutely want in the game. I mean, KOS-MOS would be cool and there's some history with Namco and Monolith Soft, but come on, Mega Man is Mega Man.

In terms of gameplay, they need to seriously rethink Final Smashes. I like the idea of them, but I didn't think they were implemented well in Brawl. Some were amazing while others were utterly terrible. There's still a ton of potential there. I'd prefer less hectic stages. It got a bit too crazy in Brawl. Maybe an option to turn off certain hazards per stage. The stage builder also needs a revamp, namely no more generic stages.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
Well, I will start the ball rolling on the community side of things.  What I want to see from a new Smash Bros.

1) Simple Stages designed around one gimmick or stage feature.  No moving stages...because those suck.
2) Little Mac
3) More Third Party Characters:  Simon Belmont, Mega Man, Bomber Man.  Finished.  (I still believe those franchises scream Nintendo history as much as some Nintendo characters.)
4) Jill from Drill Doser
5) No more assit trophies.  I hated them...and I agree they take away from the Pokemon specials.
6) A combo counter, and a simple Combo mechanic in the game.  Even if it is just a timer that counts to zero unless another hit is made. 
7)Slower gameplay, but add some complexity to moves.  I would love 2 normal attack buttons then the special button and a jump button.  I believe this would add to the gameplay. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
I wonder who the obscure character is going to be this time. Mike Jones from StarTropics?
Since the StarTropics games were never released in Japan, I doubt Mike Jones will ever appear in a Smash Brothers game, at least as long as Sakurai is around. I believe he's in charge of the roster and tends to pick his own personal faves, so he wouldn't pick a character from a game never released in his region. This is similar to why Nester will never be in the game either, since the magazine he's from is US. None of the Smash games even acknowledge that StarTropics exists.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »
Moving stages are great, they are better and make things more fun.
Assist Trophies are also great, I hope they include more of them since they were pretty good (except for the damn Nintendog blocking 80% of the screen).
The game has a combo counter in Practice Mode
Part of the fun in the game is that it is relatively simple. I hate how most fighting games cater to the small niche of fans who go to tournaments and think that moves need to have 8 inputs to do
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
The two series I think should be represented are Little Mac from Punch Out!! and either Saki or Achi from Sin & Punishment.
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Moving stages are great, they are better and make things more fun.
Assist Trophies are also great, I hope they include more of them since they were pretty good (except for the damn Nintendog blocking 80% of the screen).
The game has a combo counter in Practice Mode
Part of the fun in the game is that it is relatively simple. I hate how most fighting games cater to the small niche of fans who go to tournaments and think that moves need to have 8 inputs to do
the dog wouldn't be so bad if it did more then one thing
throw the cat in and have the two just play together
the assist trophies in general need to be more unpredictable. it's either, just stay away from joe and he wont bother you or yeah im screwed... the pokemon appearences already do that, assist trophies need to be much more complex then that

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »
Since the StarTropics games were never released in Japan, I doubt Mike Jones will ever appear in a Smash Brothers game, at least as long as Sakurai is around. I believe he's in charge of the roster and tends to pick his own personal faves, so he wouldn't pick a character from a game never released in his region.
Sakurai is likely aware of its existence. Genyo Takeda created the series and he's been at Nintendo forever now.

Anyway, while I prefer the static stages, I don't mind the moving ones, except the vertical scrolling ones. I was so excited for a Jungle Beat stage...

Adding a button to Smash Bros. is a big no-no. I used to advocate it, but Smash Bros. is pretty complex as is. It's only deceptively simple.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »
I think the assist trophies can coexist with the pokeballs, but that might just be me.
As for the actual mechanics...
Remove tripping.
Balance the Final Smashes.
More control during air dodge, like in Melee; but perhaps find a way to prevent wavedashing, since that seemed to be a complaint from the devs.
Tighten up the ground combos.
Find a sweet spot for how floaty characters feel, between Melee and Brawl levels. Brawl allowed for some awesome air work, but a little more weight would be nice.

I agree with Spak Spang on those character additions. Maybe Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia could make it in.
Enjoying the discussion!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
This probably isn't the forum in which to say this, but I feel I must.

Smash Bros has never been anything more than fan service to me. From a gameplay perspective, I actually don't really like Smash Bros.
Gouge away.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »

This probably isn't the forum in which to say this, but I feel I must.

Smash Bros has never been anything more than fan service to me. From a gameplay perspective, I actually don't really like Smash Bros.
Heretic!  ;)
    To each his own, of course.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 05:20:23 AM »
These are the characters I'd say are 100% locks at the moment to be in the next Smash Bros.

Little Mac - He was already next in line for classic characters to be made playable after Pit and the fact he got his own revival with Punch-Out !! for the Wii pretty much seals the deal.

Ridley - He's the only truly iconic character from a long running series who's been in nearly every game in that series to not be playable in Smash Bros.  Plus he's easily the most requested Nintendo character since Brawl was released so it's pretty much guaranteed a spot this time as well.

Palutena - She's the only character other then Pit to be in all three Kid Icarus game and in Japan the series is called Palutena's Mirror.  She's also the second most important character in the games since she's basically the Peach and Zelda of her series.  Plus Sakurai himself was behind the last game from her series and in sales it actually did pretty good.   So yeah, she's in.

Chrom - Roy was the recent Lord when Melee was being developed and Ike was the most recent when Brawl was being developed.  Since the new Smash Bros start around last Spring, which is the exact time Fire Emblem Awakening was released in Japan, that makes Chrom the most recent Lord guaranteeing his spot.

Whoever the major humanoid Pokemon is for X and Y - Since Black and White was released in Japan during September 2010, and that team went to work on X and Y right after, it would have been in development for at least 1.5 years before Sakurai finalized the roster which he probably did around last Summer.  When he went to Game Freak they probably told him who the Mewtwo/Lucario type of Pokemon for X and Y will be and that's who will be making an appearance in the next Smash Bros.

Pac-Man - Since Namco is working on the game and Pac-Man is their most iconic character, I would be shocked if he isn't playable.

Characters I think have a really good chance but wouldn't quite call them locks yet.

Bowser Jr - He's become a permanent part of the Mario series by now having appeared in every platformer since Sunshine.  Since he's the most important villain behind only Bowser to the series now, he'd be the most likely Mario character to get added.  The only thing that would hurt him is if Sakurai decides the main Mario section of Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser doesn't deserve another character which I don't really see happening.  Of course Mario had 5 characters in Melee and Sakurai gave it only 4 character in Brawl so who knows.  Of course most of that had to do with the fact there were still a lot of other iconic non Mario characters that needed to be added in Brawl so Mario wasn't given more.  But now that there's less iconic characters to add this time, Mario will probably be given at least a 5th spot making Bowser Jr more likely.

Paper Mario - He's been in 4 games now that have all been million sellers and is basically it's own unique franchise at this point.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered his own series and put next to the RPG characters instead of the other Mario characters to show just how unique he really is.  The only thing that would hurt him is if Sakurai doesn't consider Paper Mario different from the normal Mario series and if Bowser Jr is given the 5th Mario spot, he might not want to give Mario a 6th character on the select screen, leaving no room for Paper Mario.  I hope Sakurai would consider Paper Mario his own series since he really is and would count as a new franchise added to the series like Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario are.  But I've seen some people who consider Paper Mario part of the normal Mario series and so Sakurai might as well.  I hope he doesn't but since I don't personally know the man I wouldn't bet anything right now.

Dixie Kong - She was originally planned for Brawl but got cut early on in development.  I'd say Sakurai views her as the third most important Donkey Kong character and since Donkey Kong had a resurgence in popularity recently thanks to DCKR, I say her chances are very good.  Only thing that might hurt her is if Sakurai wants to put in more villains and makes King K Rool the new Donkey Kong character instead.  I think because of her original planning for Brawl, Sakurai finds her more important but I wouldn't bet on it quite yet.

Toon Zelda/Tetra - There was a Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik that were also originally planned for Brawl but got cut early as well.  Since Phantom Hourglass ended up becoming the best selling handheld Zelda of all time last gen, and Wind Waker is getting the upcoming Wii U remake, that makes Toon Zelda still very relevant to the series and since Tetra is her alter ego, that would probably give this transformation pair a good chance.  It'll depend on if Zelda is given a 5th character spot on the select screen which I'm guessing they would since Mario and Pokemon will probably get a 5th spot as well this time.

Slime - Dragon Quest is basically a Nintendo franchise at this point with all the games exclusive to Nintendo systems and Nintendo publishing them in the West.  Since it has such a close relationship with Nintendo and is major huge in Japan, I think the mascot of the series being in the next Smash Bros is very likely.  Plus Dragon Quest IX thanks to Nintendo publishing managed to sell over a million in the West, so it's not exactly an unknown franchise to Western gamers.  The only thing I could see hurting Slime's chances are Square Enix not bothering to ask to have him put in for some reason.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 06:34:40 AM »
Does anyone think Shulk is likely?
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:25:47 AM »
I was hoping Palutena would be selectable in Brawl. She's practically a shoe-in due to Uprising and having a partial moveset already.

Ridley is an awesome character though he'd have to be scaled down considerably to not be completely broken. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

I'd be really surprised not to see Pac-Man as well. Still, given who's working on the game, it's hard to imagine a Tekken, Soulcalibur or Tales character(s) not showing up.

I detest Bowser Jr. I'd seriously rather see Pichu return...

I'd have no qualms with Dixie Kong as a character. However, she nether appears in nor is referenced to in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Based on the cuts from Brawl (namely Roy and Mewtwo), it would be kind of odd to include a character that wasn't featured in the most recent game. Still, I think she would make a good addition.

Toon Zelda/Tetra would be interesting though I'm having trouble imagining a moveset. Sakurai had to just make one up for Zelda/Sheik which I guess he could do here, but Ganondorf doesn't even really have his own completely unique moveset. Start with Ganondorf then worry about Toon Zelda/Tetra later if they must.

I'm still trying to imagine what kind of moveset the Slime would have. Admittedly, I'm not terribly familiar with Dragon Quest series. I've watched some video and there's a dearth of physical attacks. It'd be like trying to make a Goomba an entire selectable character. Not saying it can't be done, just that I'm having a hard seeing it.

It's probably too late to include him (and shame on MercurySteam/Konami for not bringing Lords of Shadow 2 to Wii U), but Alucard from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is practically a Smash Bros. character. His attacks and movements are perfect for Smash Bros.

Maybe Shulk and Zael will be included in the Japanese and Europan release... then get cut by Nintendo of America... /ultimate troll

Anyway, I'd rather there be no Adventure Mode, but if there is (and there will), I really hope the development team doesn't try to make the story so serious this time. I think a Mario and Luigi-style tone would work best, something light-hearted, funny, and self-referential. In fact, just get AlphaDream to pen the script.

Also, costumes plz (not just color palettes).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:31:01 AM by Adrock »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
I'm not sure about Little Mac. I don't think there are any new Punch Out games on the horizon. I'm also not sure if he'd have a compelling moveset. He punches, that's about it. I think the Assist Trophy pretty much covered it.

Also not sure about Dixie. I was frankly pretty surprised they went with Diddy in Brawl, but now that DKCR exists it makes more sense. I really don't see Dixie Kong or K Rool appearing in a game again, though. I'd wager that Nintendo would like to keep as far away from the Rare-originated elements as possible, excepting Diddy and Rambi.

I know Sakurai said he didn't want a bloated roster, but at this point I think they should just throw everything back in. All stages and characters. Pichu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Dr. Mario, Ike, Roy, Young Link, Toon Link; go clone crazy, so long as there are plenty of new characters.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
I'm not sure about Little Mac. I don't think there are any new Punch Out games on the horizon. I'm also not sure if he'd have a compelling moveset. He punches, that's about it. I think the Assist Trophy pretty much covered it.

Also not sure about Dixie. I was frankly pretty surprised they went with Diddy in Brawl, but now that DKCR exists it makes more sense. I really don't see Dixie Kong or K Rool appearing in a game again, though. I'd wager that Nintendo would like to keep as far away from the Rare-originated elements as possible, excepting Diddy and Rambi.

I completely disagree with both these points. People are always so hung up on who got a new game recently and that's why so and so can't be in. Samus in the original Smash, Lucas in Brawl and the many retro revivals prove the theories wrong. Little Mac had a new game last gen for Wii and that is what counts. Besides Namco and Sakurai are making the game. Steve from Tekken alone puts all punching doubts to rest. Besides what difference does it make if its nothing but swinging fists or nothing but swinging swords? A punch means more than just jab. I know that's not what you are thinking but when people generally put down Mac for that sole reason that is pretty much the mindset.

While it seems to be clear Retro wanted to make as many new characters as they could they aren't entirely neglecting Rare's creations and nor is Nintendo as a whole. Dixie was intended to be partnered with Diddy in Brawl so we know for a fact Sakurai considered her, the data is in the game. Plus all the rare creations show up in Mario Suggers and the Dk spin offs as well. Just not in the latest main series of games which has only been one in like a million years.

If Nintendo and especially Sakurai didn't want to associate with Rare there would not even be King K Rool and Candy Kong trophies in the Smash series.

I think Dixie and Mac have extremely high chances of making it in. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
dixie just wind up being a clone of diddy
no more clones...(and magic is right, nintendo seems to be trying to get rid of most of the DK crew outside of Diddy and Cranky with returns..)
but for the love of god
give ganon his sword
get rid of this whole toon link/young link thing
and for the love of god do something about the star fox trio
i'll take luigi because he has been almost completely luigified outside of the  fireball

as for little mac, there is a fair problem believe it or not because alot of characters have their movesets based around their games as much as possible(one of mario's throws is based on the bowser battle in 64(if used on bowser he even does a reinactment)) and little mac has had little more then left punch, right punch left uppercut, right uppercut... like i said all they can do is give falcon another clone(NO!!)
Ganondorf is the only real exception to this outside of his final smash
i haven't played enough f-zero to know about captain falcon tbh

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
no more clones...(and magic is right, nintendo seems to be trying to get rid of most of the DK crew outside of Diddy and Cranky with returns..)
but for the love of god
give ganon his sword
i'll take luigi because he has been almost completely luigified outside of the  fireball

as for little mac, there is a fair problem believe it or not because alot of characters have their movesets based around their games as much as possible(one of mario's throws is based on the bowser battle in 64(if used on bowser he even does a reinactment)) and little mac has had little more then left punch, right punch left uppercut, right uppercut... like i said all they can do is give falcon another clone(NO!!)

The way I see it, both Dixie and Little Mac could (not necessarily will) be interesting additions.

Dixie might look like a Diddy clone, but depending on how they utilise her hair she could actually be significantly different. I can imagine some of her attacks being based around her ability to spin and her hair's ability to grab characters and objects.

As for Little Mac only having 3 moves to choose from? If they can make Olimar a character I don't see any reason why Little Mac couldn't be. Smash Bros has always been pretty good about building out a characters abilities to make them work inside of the game. What if Little Mac's abilities were based more around ducking and diving? Perhaps instead of being on the offensive, Little Mac could be a defensive character whose strengths are based around his ability to dodge and counter-attack.

I definitely think both characters have potential.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:10:22 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:53 AM »
I'm still trying to imagine what kind of moveset the Slime would have. Admittedly, I'm not terribly familiar with Dragon Quest series. I've watched some video and there's a dearth of physical attacks. It'd be like trying to make a Goomba an entire selectable character. Not saying it can't be done, just that I'm having a hard seeing it.

There's a wide variety of different types of Slimes in all the Dragon Quest and they all have different types of magic attacks.  So it'd probably end up similar to Zelda, relying on magic for it's attacks in Smash Bros.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 05:42:41 AM »
Zelda still has appendages to perform kicks and swipes and can transform into Sheik who is almost entirely physical attacks. Would a Slime just hop around and shoot magic at you? If a Square Enix character does show up, there are better choices. It just seems really difficult to make it a complete character. Maybe it could be an assist trophy. Slimed, Moogles, or Chocobos make it into nearly every game in their respective series, but the company has way too many recognizable characters. I understand why a Slime was suggested; I just don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:45:00 AM by Adrock »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:48 AM »
Zelda still has appendages to perform kicks and swipes and can transform into Sheik who is almost entirely physical attacks. Would a Slime just hop around and shoot magic at you?

Actually yeah he would.  DreamMix TV World Fighter which is a Smash Bros type game has a Moai as a playable character and that's literally how he plays.  The Moai in that game is just a head that shoots attacks out of its mouth but is still a playable character.  If a Smash Bros clone can do a character like that, then I'd imagine the real Smash Bros can pull it off as well.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
I had a dream where I killed every Smash Bros fan. It was very sexual

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »

Did you use any items when you were killing them? If so, you and your casual homicidal ways sicken me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »

Did you use any items when you were killing them? If so, you and your casual homicidal ways sicken me.
Who did he use and on what stage?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
but for the love of god
give ganon his sword

Yeah you have absolutely no imagination nor an understanding of why clones and semi clones are the way they are. It's simply because of body type. Dixie's hair alone makes her stand out completely from any other character and thats what Sakurai loves. She basically has a giant blond arm on her head, it will not function exactly like Diddy's tail I guarantee you.

While I don't like how similar the specials are of the star Fox crew are, their smash attacks and basic animations are completely different. It's nothing like it was in Melee where they were literally reskins with different stats. I'm not saying there is no room for improvement because there is, but they are plenty varied and I imagine it will be taken a little further in the next game.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn