Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3163845 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #7525 on: November 28, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
500,000 Wiis... I didn't know there was that type of demand at any price anymore.  That proves me wrong.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
500,000 Wiis... I didn't know there was that type of demand at any price anymore.  That proves me wrong.

Well Skyward Sword undoubtedly helped out, but yeah it is still surprising.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: November 28, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »
its a shame Nintendo has nothing else to give these 500,000 new Wii owners. They have all the existing Wii games to explore, but that's it. There will never be any more big name games for the Wii now that Zelda is out. For all intents and purposes buying a Wii now is like going to a garage sale and buying a Super Nintendo or N64 or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:39:38 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7528 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »

The Wii still sells a good amount every month, not enough to be the best selling each month but still pretty well.

Didn't Walmart have the new gimped Wii for $99 on Black Friday? That may be part of the reason.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: November 28, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Yeah it still sales at a good clip but 500,000 at t his stage in that type of period.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7530 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
its a shame Nintendo has nothing else to give these 500,000 new Wii owners. They have all the existing Wii games to explore, but that's it. There will never be any more big name games for the Wii now that Zelda is out. For all intents and purposes buying a Wii now is like going to a garage sale and buying a Super Nintendo or N64 or whatever.

What about DQX?
Xenoblade?
TLS?
or whatever else Nintendo has up their sleeve to fill the first half of next year?

Besides, who said all these Wii buyers were new? I'd bet alot of them are repurchasing just for Zelda since they sold or gave away an old system a long while ago. Others may be purchasing their 2nd or 3rd Wii for the bedroom or the kids room. Netflix is a big reason to purchase and it cost just as much as a Roku.

and buying a Wii now is no different than buying a GC just before the Wii came out. Wii U will be 100% BC and anything you buy now, you will be able to use on the next system.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: November 28, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
I hope those games come and if they do I will buy them, but I have little faith that Reggie will bring them, and even if he does this is something that should have already happened months ago.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7532 on: November 28, 2011, 05:57:15 PM »

"I haven't played it, it's new to me!"
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7533 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »
Exactly, there are over 1,200 games on Wii (not even counting Virtual Console and WiiWare). There are many classics on the system too, so now is a really good time to be a new Wii owner.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: November 28, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
OR there is the 'PS2 effect' where people are buying new consoles to replace older ones that broke. My Wii stopped reading discs and in stead of an $85 repair I got one of the Mario Kart bundles from my gf for Christmas.

In the end it was cheaper thanks to the Wiimote/Chuck plus MK.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: November 28, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
IMO, if you've waited this long to get a Wii and it took Skyward Sword to convince you to do so, you're not going to be picking up the old titles in a way that makes Nintendo money.  Those gamers belong to the Used Game market.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: November 28, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
Maybe.... but maybe that's what it takes for them to become fans. And then maybe they will be on board Day 1 for the next new release since they are now a fan when before they weren't.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: November 28, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »
I haven't looked recently, but aren't the used prices for most of the big Wii games barely cheaper than the still full-retail new prices? Also, you can get Super Mario Galaxy, one of the best games on the system and of this generation, for $20 brand new, so I can see Nintendo making some money there from however many true new Wii owners who bought in for Skyward Sword there are.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: November 28, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
I haven't looked recently, but aren't the used prices for most of the big Wii games barely cheaper than the still full-retail new prices?
It depends on where you look. They certainly can sell for near full retail used, but they can also be found for a lot less if you're patient. I got Super Mario Galaxy a year after it launched for $20 used, and I've found many other Nintendo-published titles at that price or less both new (sales) and used. There are only a few games I know of that sell for between $30-50 used on average, and they are titles that are out of print with low production numbers like Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: November 29, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
I haven't looked recently, but aren't the used prices for most of the big Wii games barely cheaper than the still full-retail new prices?
It depends on where you look. They certainly can sell for near full retail used, but they can also be found for a lot less if you're patient. I got Super Mario Galaxy a year after it launched for $20 used, and I've found many other Nintendo-published titles at that price or less both new (sales) and used. There are only a few games I know of that sell for between $30-50 used on average, and they are titles that are out of print with low production numbers like Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

It's funny when crap games like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast can sell for $50 used/.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: November 29, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
It's funny when crap games like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast can sell for $50 used/.

After the recent Connectivity episode, I checked how much a new copy of Excitetruck was selling for: $44.87. That is a third-party seller on Amazon. It's cheaper in other places.

Offline SalesBot

• Score: 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: November 29, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Xbox 360 records the biggest week in Xbox history
http://majornelson.com/2011/11/29/xbox-360-records-the-biggest-week-in-xbox-history/
Sales highlights in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday include:

Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)
More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:22:58 PM by SalesBot »
"To Report, Not Decide"<BR>Soon to be New & Improved!!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: November 29, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
That 'ought to bring joy Microsoft's Xbox division. Hopefully this will mean that interesting and great games for Kinect will come out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: November 29, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
That 'ought to bring joy Microsoft's Xbox division. Hopefully this will mean that interesting and great games for Kinect will come out.
I'm sort of interested in the one with Cookie Monster and Elmo.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: November 29, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
I guess this is why Microsoft didn't cut their MSRP like Sony did with the PS3. Maybe they knew or thought Xbox 360 was going to sell strong regardless.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7545 on: November 29, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
I guess this is why Microsoft didn't cut their MSRP like Sony did with the PS3. Maybe they knew or thought Xbox 360 was going to sell strong regardless.
With some of the 360 deals I'm wondering if MS dropped their Wholesale price.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 29, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
4GB 360's w/ 2 games were only $149.99 and Kinect was selling for $99.99 w/ 3 games.
so for $250, you would get a 360 w/ Kinect and 5 games. It was a pretty damn tempting offer.

you could get 250GB 360 w/ 2 games for $199
or a 4GB 360 w/ Kinect for $199

so many tempting 360 offers last week.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: November 29, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
No matter how tempting the 360 may be, the fact you have to pay in order to play it online is a no sale for me.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 29, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
No matter how tempting the 360 may be, the fact you have to pay in order to play it online is a no sale for me.

But on the other hand, if you're a single-player only type of gamer there are some good games worth buying on the 360.  You don't need LIVE for that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 29, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »

But on the other hand, if you're a single-player only type of gamer there are some good games worth buying on the 360.  You don't need LIVE for that.

I know. I understand that and I've considered that, but if I'm going to treat the 360 as a secondary or tertiary system which I only play a handful of games on and never take it online then I'm going to wait until I can get it for like $99 or something. The 250GB model is still $299 (not counting the deals), which would be perfectly fine if I were using it as a primary system, but since I'm not I need it to cheapen up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:03:33 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...