Author Topic: Anyone else deal with depression or knows someone who does?  (Read 35793 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else deal with depression or knows someone who does?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
Well Counseling Session number 2 is out of the way.  I was actually doing pretty good.  Trying the breathing exercises.  Work has actually been enjoyable for the last few days.  Now I'm feeling more depressed then when I went in.  Mired in the same junk as last time.

Yeah, my dad never bothered to teach me to get beyond my learners permit, which has long long expired. So getting around is abit hard on my own. Just would be cool if we all could hang out together. My life's just not the same without her. I was always her little man, just miss her so much.

She was more there for me than my own family has been.
I can't believe I missed this.  You should learn.  I think that be an excellent skill to try to acquire in its own way.  I'm going to offer but from your profile we don't live close enough.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 02:42:16 AM »
Aww thanks Ceric, the main concern is with my reaction timing, I'm at times slow to react to things or process information, due to being born premature by 3 months.

Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
I guess I can share my recent experience if it helps anyone. The short version is this, I moved to Nebraska to start a new life, get away from my old life and get into college, which I did. Some things from my past never would go away so I built up some anxiety and began experiencing some stress, so I started using the schools councelling center for help, talking to someone was nice for a while but then I got hooked on just wanting someone to talk to. So I kept going back even after we settled my anxiety. Then to make it worth going I dug up other stuff from my past and transferred things others went through into my own life to make it all sound more interesting. I also exaggerated some stuff because it's easy to do when you are trying to get a certain reaction. Anyways they wanted to put me on some medication, I tried different ones and they had negative side effects I won't bore anyone with.

Then I realized I was deteriorating, I was losing interest in everything, I changed my major/minor soo many times I lost count and I was dropping classes, adding classes, failing classes where before I was totally focused and getting mostly A's and B's. Going back to college after being out of school for ten years and having dropped out of high school meant I had some catching up to do anyways and for the first year it was just that, catch up. But I still maintained a decent enough GPA and kept going.

Last Halloween my counciler suggested I go to a Halloween party, anyways while there I realized some things that were wrong and I stopped taking the meds and canceled my appointments all. She panicked and sent me into a whirlwind of pain and misery that ended with me staying three days in a mental health clinic and ultimately getting banned from school and tresspassed from campus, including getting kicked out of my apartment and having to move in with my elderly aunt and uncle. Since then I got a proper full time job, transferred to a community college and began taking classes online through them to finish what I started.

it was a long road and I am not there yet but I am getting closer to stabalizing and getting things back the way they were. Well needless to say I had too much, I panicked and sold all my things, packed my van and moved to California, you know to go to Hollywood and get into film. I got there, realized I made a huge mistake and turned around came back and took another job. It was a wild ride, but in the end I think it was good for me to face my fears and realize that past is something we have to live with but we can't be haunted by it.

Do I suffer from depression, maybe I tend to have wild mood swings, but really I just need someplace to go to talk to someone. I began coming here because I have been reading this site's news forever and the forums are a place to vent. I think we all come here for similar reasons, to share ideas, to talk to like minded people with similar interests, and to get **** off our chest when we need to.

I have lost loved ones, friends, family, the woman I was engaged to, its hard to get over. Some to death, some to distance, and some to things that can't be explained. I am not entirely alone but I sometimes feel alone. That is what drew me to this forum, you guys act like people with real problems, some forums if you stray from the topic at hand they just ban you for going off topic. Some people act like their video games or toys or movies, whatever it happens to be is the world world. Yes we all want an escape but sometimes escaping can be bad sometimes you just need to talk it through.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
Aww thanks Ceric, the main concern is with my reaction timing, I'm at times slow to react to things or process information, due to being born premature by 3 months.
Practice.  I personally find driving a more instinctual thing.  In fact I'm rarely actually thinking about driving when I'm driving.  Shoot I couldn't tell you most of the time what color the car is in front of me.  Just an Object is in front of me moving as well must be a car.

Do I suffer from depression, maybe I tend to have wild mood swings, but really I just need someplace to go to talk to someone. I began coming here because I have been reading this site's news forever and the forums are a place to vent. I think we all come here for similar reasons, to share ideas, to talk to like minded people with similar interests, and to get **** off our chest when we need to.

Thats a big reason I'm here.  It bleeds over into other aspects of my life.  I have no one in the physical world that I can really just call up and shoot the breeze with.  It takes its toll.  I can see that in my son too.  How he'll try to make himself relevant in a conversation when its clear he has no idea what we are actually talking about but, he's made a tangental connection that he thinks will get him an in.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
*snip*

Thank you so much for sharing that. That goes for everyone in this topic.

Marvel, I'm glad you're doing better. I know all about mood swings, as I have a mood disorder in addition to mental illness. >_>

Anyway, if anyone likes to talk, I love to talk. Well, type. Well, you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be about depression, it doesn't have to be about games, it can be about anything that is healthful and helpful to each other. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
I am doing much better, I spent this week moving into a new house that I am finally ready to start living again. I also found some inspiration to get back into making music again and I am going to give painting another go.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
I am doing much better, I spent this week moving into a new house that I am finally ready to start living again. I also found some inspiration to get back into making music again and I am going to give painting another go.
What Instrument?

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »
keyboards

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
Feeling rather down today. Been thinking about how I'm 28 and am still stuck in college, have never had a girlfriend, and can't work because of my illness.

Stuff sucks.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »
Feeling rather down today. Been thinking about how I'm 28 and am still stuck in college, have never had a girlfriend, and can't work because of my illness.

Stuff sucks.
Don't focus on the Negative.  Which is hard to do.  Your still in College.  At least your someplace where its relatively easy to meet single interesting people.

What type of Illness?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
Mental illness-- bipolar.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
Go to a college party, get drunk, get laid. Feel better.

I used to do it all the time. ;)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »
Go to a college party, get drunk, get laid. Feel better.

I used to do it all the time. ;)

I appreciate the humor.

I don't live on campus, so I don't know when college parties happen. I go to drink-ups for my local city chapter of the Independent Game Developers Association, but I often feel alone even in a group of people. Then, I get depressed and start getting distant sometimes.

As for drinking, I don't drink due to being on so many medications. Plus, I abhor the taste of alcohol.

As for getting laid, I don't do that sort of thing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
You need to do that sort of thing.

The getting laid part that is.
It's not going to solve your social problem, but you will find a new joy in life, and that should definitely help (especially if you turn out to be good at it).

Part 1 is making friends, then making friends with your friends friends.
All sorts of social gatherings should become available to you then.
and in those social gatherings will likely be women looking for attention and affection.

And you may feel that you are above that sort of thing, or not into that sort of thing, but really, that is just the fear of rejection telling you to stay quiet, get back in your corner and stay out of the way.

Your fear of rejection is likely the reason you've never had a girlfriend and why you feel alone even in a group situation. Lots of people suffer from it, some more than others, but at some point you need to take the risk to reap the rewards.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
I don't think "getting laid" will make me feel better. I think having and nurturing friendships and possibly turning one into a romance would be more to my liking and my personality.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
maybe, but even that ends in getting laid.

But who's to say you can't do both simultaneously.
finding a friend that I can maybe eventually romance into bed is your fear of rejection talking again.

Sometime you need to get out of your comfort zone and realize that being turned down isn't the end of anyone's world. It can actually be empowering knowing that it doesn't affect you and you can move on to the next attempt.

So maybe you should just strike up a conversation with that girl you've been admiring from afar. Real casual like, and maybe ask her out for coffee. Something not too date like, even if you turn it into one.
Or start a study group with some class mates and invite that cute girl across the room to join. Be her study partner and then ask her out to a movie or dinner or whatever comes up as a possible mutual interest.

Either way you need to make a move. It sounds like you've been standing still for far too long.
Get out there and take a chance. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
I don't really have a fear of rejection. I simply don't want to **** someone who I don't love. I can masturbate on my own time and get pleasure from that and feel good both physically and emotionally.

I appreciate you trying to help, but you're not really helping right now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
sex and love are not mutually exclusive.

friends and romance don't always work.

I'm just speaking from the POV of someone that has had lots of relationships and and had lots of one (sex) and little of the other (love)*. and have had some friendships turn into more, and others shut down because it's hard to be just friends with someone that you like more than that or vice versa.

*and trust me when I say that sex and masturbation may end with the same resulting (somewhat), but they are hardly the same experience.

So whether it's a fear of rejection (and that was an assumption on my part) or not, it sounds like you need to find a way to connect, and that may require you to get out of your normal routine and be a little more outgoing or bold in your approach and interactions.

And if after all that, nothing I've said is relating to your problem in any way, then I guess I'm just not understanding the issue.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the help.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 01:46:23 AM »
At least you got something going on, you're still young. I'm 34 going 35 and live alone for the most part, my angel was the only love I ever had, my family has never truly been there for me, I  can only say between her and my mom, are the biggest things in my life.

I break down and cry everyday as I love her and miss her so much, she was my everything. I can relate to the sex and love, as she was my first and only.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
...damn. Every time you talk about this, I am reminded of the fact that I can't even imagine how you feel. I can't imagine the depth of the suffering you feel.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
...damn. Every time you talk about this, I am reminded of the fact that I can't even imagine how you feel. I can't imagine the depth of the suffering you feel.

It always puts things in perspective for me.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
I love you guys, just at times I think life has it in for me, lost my mom, my grandparents and my angel. The only people who cared. Chris meant the world, she was the kindest person you've ever met, she loved platformers.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Easter. Hate sounding depressed, I'd give anything if I could have her back.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:42:16 PM by MysticGohan »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
Have you looked into getting driving lessons so you can eventually get your license?

Doing so will open up so many more possibilities, and you'll be able to become much more social. The opportunities driving gives people are immense.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »
it would be difficult, I have no car, and no one has the time, even if I could, I'd have a hard time paying for insurance and tags. Most of my money goes to rent and food, and only leaves me with little to spare.

fixed income really leaves little to do with.