Author Topic: New control option added for Pikmin 3  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
New control option added for Pikmin 3
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:26 AM »
You can now use stylus-centric controls, sort of like Pikmin Adventure in Nintendo Land. I haven't tried it yet or even downloaded the patch, but that sounds like a cool control setup.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: New control option added for Pikmin 3
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »
I just downloaded pikmin3 today with the mario kart deal and I really dig the touch controls. I love the Wii controls but I may just stick with touch, its pretty clean and simple. Drag the cursor around on touch screen and tap to command pikmin to spot and L is whistle, it feels fast and fluid and I'm happy that I'm starting the game this way. The game lacking multi-touch really seems to be more evident now because I sort of want to more use of the touch screen, but I totally enjoy it regardless.  Seems odd Nintendo would add this now but I really like it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
It's very unlike Nintendo to do something this significant this far after launch. I like it, I hope they do more of this, but I really wasn't expecting it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
I wonder if they had this planned from the start (start of the project being a Wii U title) but dropped it due to their development issues. Gotta wonder if this will become a trend where they add back in some dropped features from all of their games.

Makes me more excited to get this game next month with Mario Kart.

Too bad we couldn't get a Pikmin Trilogy with all of the control options on the eShop.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Wouldn't this have been cool if they had done this with DKC Returns back on the Wii to support the CC?  Nintendo has historically been really bad at providing control options.  This seems very out-of-character for them and I like it.  I hope we see more of this, especially if they ever do it to specifically address user complaints about the default controls.

And if they can patch in extra touchscreen controls they could also patch in Gamepad-less controls.  More fuel for the fire that is the "should Nintendo drop the Gamepad" debate. :)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
Wouldn't this have been cool if they had done this with DKC Returns back on the Wii to support the CC?  Nintendo has historically been really bad at providing control options.  This seems very out-of-character for them and I like it.  I hope we see more of this, especially if they ever do it to specifically address user complaints about the default controls.

And if they can patch in extra touchscreen controls they could also patch in Gamepad-less controls.  More fuel for the fire that is the "should Nintendo drop the Gamepad" debate. :)

GAAAAAAAAH!! :P
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
It's not a coincidence that this is launching right as they expect a bunch of new people to be getting the game because of the Mario Kart thing. I hope this isn't just a one-time thing because of those special circumstances.

Doing this kind of thing on the Wii would have been a lot of trouble given the storage limitations and no built-in support for patches. It's a lot simpler now. And Pikmin 3 already has GamePad-less controls, and they're the best way to play the game. Unless you're talking system-wide, which would be a massive undertaking and require other companies to do it as well.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
Doing this kind of thing on the Wii would have been a lot of trouble given the storage limitations and no built-in support for patches. It's a lot simpler now. And Pikmin 3 already has GamePad-less controls, and they're the best way to play the game. Unless you're talking system-wide, which would be a massive undertaking and require other companies to do it as well.

I know Pikmin 3 has Gamepad-less controls.  I'm saying that Nintendo could in theory patch their existing games that don't have that option.  The mechanism is there.  Not a perfect solution since it would be first party-only and not something I think they should bother with but if they get desperate and think this will help the Wii U they have that option.  The concept is theoretically possible.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »
It's possible in theory, but incredibly impractical. It'd be an insane amount of work and it wouldn't be worth it at all; you'd basically kill the only thing the system has going for it that others don't and it'd likely have very little effect on sales.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
Nintendo does this all the time, but then they just repackage the game and charge you for it again. Never played Pikmin 3, but I'm downloading it tonight.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
The WiiU won't lose the Gamepad until I lose my virginity.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »
Are you a monk?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
Asexual, as it turns out.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
I was going to come up with some masturbation joke, but I'll leave it to Brandogg.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 01:14:02 AM »
Dude I'm trying, but the joke involves Wiimotes and Gamepads and it's a little too risqué for any non-funhaus thread. Lets just say you can lose the Gamepad and your virginity at the same time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA