Author Topic: Wii Media Center?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Wii Media Center?
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
i've been looking into setting up a media center server to access via the wii.

difficulty: i don't have a single windows computer at my house, and don't plan on it.

(so that rules out orb, which looks great)

anyone got any ideas? anyone have anything set up? i'd prefer a linux solution, but can do a mac one as well.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Wii Media Center?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
Until a decent multi-format media player is released by the talented hack-hack market, Wii as a media center should be avoided.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:50 AM »
i wasn't thinking so much of a media player on the wii itself, but rather (like orb does) a streaming server that can be accessed by the wii opera browser (or, i suppose, any computer on the network)

i was hoping mythTV had a streaming function, but only thing i found were outdated instructions.

Offline mastro

• I less than three U
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »
Until Wii supports more file formats I would just not bother. You can get wireless media centre that would do what you want for not really expenisve but much better. I can't recall any that are really cheap but I have seen some that are around $200-$250. If you shop around you may be able to find some that are discountined and cheaper. D-Link makes some good wireless media centres that are some of the cheapest. If you are really looking to just get Wii up and running as a media center than http://www.redkawa.com/mediacenters/wiimediacenterx/ would work with a form of Unix(unix,Mac OS or Linux). Never tried it myself.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:13:25 PM by mastro »
If you add any of my WiiC or any FC please PM me.

Wii #                   
4871 4170 1627 4831

Endless Ocean #       
7415 7735 7984

Smash Bros Brawl #   
1032 0904 4453

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
You know at that price you could get a 360 or PS3 for a little extra.  I would suggest the PS3 because it supports a wider variety of formats if memory serves.  That and I have one and don't have much of a problem with it when it comes to streaming and playing movies.  Streaming to the Wii would be cool just to be able to do it but it doesn't really bring as much to the tables as the other 2 in that regard.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:32:12 PM »
Just keep your original copy of Zelda Twilight Princess handy, and buy an SD card (and a reader), and you'll have a fully-fledged Wii Media Center soon enough.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »
There is an air of mystery about you.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
My mystery is only exceeded by my power. When I say original copy, I mean the version that has the bug where you can get stuck in the Canon room...though what I'm hinting at may work on the fixed version too. I'm waiting for something more worthwhile than Tetris or Pong before I go testing this out...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA