Author Topic: The end of the world...  (Read 15825 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2003, 09:31:34 PM »
  His constant shots at Nintendo are so tiresome, that I can't help but wonder why he believes the XBOX is so great.  If he could give me more than 1 game , then I would say, OK I SEE... but he's coming with a knife to a gun fight with his weak arguments.  I can support my reasoning on buying the Gamecube-first and second party games only available on Nintendo systems.  As I see it, 75% of the 'exclusive' good(not DOA volleyball) games for the XBOX are available or will be elsewhere.

Obviously, my problem is his argument, not his choice.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2003, 10:41:37 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
Who cares if HALO comes out on PC. Most casual games want to play in front of their TV not their stinking computers.
HALO is a great game, way better than golden eye IMO. I would love to know how many people here who say crap about HALO havent even played it.

God I hate fanboys.

huh?  i know more gamers who prefer playing on PCs than in front of their TV.  secondly, FPS is best suited for the PC.  i can't imagine using the control stick over the mouse.  the mouse is way better.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2003, 11:29:54 AM »
"To me $300 is peanuts, I love my leather chair for playing, you can shove the PC. "

PEANUTS? To most gamers, $300 is a god send. That's roughly the equivalent of 6 games (5 if you include tax, but almost 6). It takes me a while to get money to buy all the games I want, and that's WITH having a paper delivery job last summer and having rich relatives who are there for me on birthdays (I got $220 on my birthday this year). Most of my friends couldn't dream of ever saving up $300 to spend on games. A friend of mine owned 1 Gamecube game for something like 3 or 4 months before Christmas finally rolled around and he got 2 more (well, 1 more- the other game was Ty for his little sisters). To most people, $300 is a fat chunk of change.

"secondly, FPS is best suited for the PC. i can't imagine using the control stick over the mouse. the mouse is way better."

Not always- FPS's made for the PC are great on PC's but tend to really suck on consoles. Likewise, FPS's made for consoles tend to suck on PC's. I couldn't imagine playing Goldeneye on my PC. It just wouldn't work.

And that's one of the strong points of Halo, in my opinion. Bungie was really able to make an FPS that was originally intended for a computer work great on a console. I think a lot of developers could learn something from the way that they adapted Halo to the Xbox.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2003, 01:20:25 PM »
Halo at macword was so ungodly beautiful, I really think that it would have been a better game had it come out for mac. Not saying that halo now is bad (although I need my friggin bots) either, but it would have been better.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2003, 01:54:06 PM »
I'm so proud of your wealthy lifestyle, cubed, but now you're being ignorant.  You're not the only gamer in the world.

Halo is a very, very fun game, but it's not any better than multiple Gamecube games, and could possibly be considered worse, depending on the audience.  I think Xbox fans are very close minded about GC. . . and before you rant at me, notice the "Halo is a very, very fun game" comment.  Xbox is fine; I personally prefer Gamecube, and I truly think that if many Xbox fans even bothered playing a good GC game they'd like it.  They insult the system when most of them have barely, if ever, played it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Duriez

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2003, 05:42:25 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
Who cares if HALO comes out on PC. Most casual games want to play in front of their TV not their stinking computers.
HALO is a great game, way better than golden eye IMO. I would love to know how many people here who say crap about HALO havent even played it.

God I hate fanboys.

I played Halo 4-player for a good hour.  GE 4-player is still better IMO.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2003, 02:11:12 PM »
Some random guy somewhere likes the Xbox better than the GCN? Are you serious?!

I hate topics like this.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2003, 07:07:19 PM »
  Than why did you post?  Especially with something as utterly useless as 'I hate topics like this'.

I hate people who post on a topic just to say they hate that very topic.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline NiteWalker

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2003, 04:26:31 AM »
Listen Omen, if your friend is in that kind of opinion he should leave gamespot.  You cannot work at such a place being biased like that. It hurts sales for other systems in a chain reaction type effect.  

"No, don't buy a gamecube buy an xbox, it has halo."

If I ever heard that shopping for a system I'd never shop there again and make my experience publicly known.

All systems have different games to cater to different needs.  Buy what you will play.  If your friend can only come up with halo as a must buy game for xbox(which it is), then he wasted his money as I can't see myself buying a system for one game.   Does he even own any other xbox games?
My Games
--------------------------------------------
I Stand Alone

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2003, 11:10:41 AM »
Well, I hate people who hate people who post on a topic just to say they hate that very topic. Er... *confuses self* Never mind.

I posted because I'm sick of the attitude of many people that seem to think that someone's opinion is somehow less than or wrong compared to their opinion.  If someone likes Xbox over GameCube, it's most likely because they played the games and enjoy them more.  Since he works for GameSpot, I'm sure he has experience with the GCN, and he simply doesn't really like adventure games.  I see no reason to insist that someone likes the same game system you do.  What someone does with their money and their time is their business - why do you care?  He's not committing treason.  He's not betraying Nintendo or waging a feudal war against them.  He's just playing different video games than you.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2003, 07:35:23 PM »

I posted because I'm sick of the attitude of many people that seem to think that someone's opinion is somehow less than or wrong compared to their opinion. If someone likes Xbox over GameCube, it's most likely because they played the games and enjoy them more. Since he works for GameSpot, I'm sure he has experience with the GCN, and he simply doesn't really like adventure games. I see no reason to insist that someone likes the same game system you do. What someone does with their money and their time is their business - why do you care? He's not committing treason. He's not betraying Nintendo or waging a feudal war against them. He's just playing different video games than you.

Evidently, you didn't read my first two posts on this thread.  My friend is entitled to his own opinion , obviously, but when he brazenly busts on Metroid and Zelda, I am also entitled to ask him about the 'must have ' games for his vaunted XBOX.  His response?  Halo.  Thats it.  It seems to me if you can bust chops about Nintendo sucking and XBOX being the best, you should be able to back up your position.  I'm not insisting he like anything, i'm am demanding for more than 1 game he deems worthy of buying the xbox.  I don't care if he likes GC, I care for his reasoning, of which he has none.  Understand?

You know what I hate?  People who post they hate people that post how they hate people who post on a thread .....of how they hate people,....who....

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2003, 08:50:52 PM »
All right, fine - I admit I didn't read your second post in this topic.  But I still don't think I would care in your position.  Why should someone have to defend an opinion?  If I like the colour blue better than red, does there really have to be a reason?  I suppose it could be an issue because of his position at Gamestop, but unless he starts setting Nintendo games aflame in nightly bonfires, I can't see how it would really be a problem.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2003, 02:06:51 AM »
He is the one who was ragging on GC, when I simply asked, 'why should I get a xbox?'  His only answer was Halo.  Thats how it started.  I told him it's ridiculous to buy a system for 1 game, when I could just get it on my PC.  Thats the jist of the argument.  Most people who feel so strongly about a certain system would have no problem backing up why its worth owning.  He does , though.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2003, 07:24:53 PM »
I already replied to this thread but an error occured and its not showing up so here i go again
i know what to do about your biased friend

GET HIM FIRED!

my idea, get a girl to become his girlfriend
and just have her call him at work all the time
at some point he could get fired,
also even better... have her ask him to call her (from work) as much as possible
HEHEHEHEHE

if you can find a gamer girl all the better
and if she plays some gamecube games she enjoys it will be much easier to do this diabolical scheme

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2003, 06:08:57 AM »

my idea, get a girl to become his girlfriend
and just have her call him at work all the time
at some point he could get fired

Sadly, this Seinfeld-esque solution wouldnt fly, because he is the manager. ... And I get discounts on my purchases....

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2003, 02:13:42 PM »
Bear with me, because after reading the last page or so, I couldn't really get a feel for where the hell this discussion/arguement was going...

I like playing Halo now and then with my friends, but here are my complaints: no bots, very limited locals (especially for vehicles), limited weaponry (not the "having only two guns" part, but the entire library), the main game levels are too large for cooperative play (no saving), the occasional backward glitch, the character design in multiplayer is bland, and it has a cult of followers that are almost more obsessive about it than those that live their breathing hours on Everquest. I think these complaints speak for themselves.

After beating it on "Legendary" on both single player and cooperative mode, I seriously had to walk away and not play it for a very long time. Not because it was too good, but because it was too much. "The Maw" was ridiculous. Now I can only play it in small doses.

I think at this point in the argument, I have to say Timesplitters 2 is a very underrated game. I personally like that, Perfect Dark, and GoldenEye 007 better. They have more character, which appeals to me. There's also more variety in every other category (except that 007 didn't have bots, and none of them have vehicles, which is fine for me).

And as for multiplayer madness and vehicles galore... I was there for Starseige Tribes. Halo hardly broke new ground in that department. I wish they'd do a Starseige Tribes 3 (since 2 had some... twitch... problems).

As much as I hate to side with anyone on a board, especially those that insinuate I'm an idiot on other threads, The Omen has the right idea. If you're going to bring your opinion/screeching to the table and expect to be taken seriously and respectfully, be able to back your opinion up in a serious and respectful manner. I hate it when people tell me something is awesome or it sucks, but they can't tell me why they feel that way.

Any other points I didn't address are because they weren't worth investing time in, or that my stomach's growling and I need to stuff my face. Now, in typical fashion, I'm going to go make some dinner and watch a few episodes of The Family Guy. Giggity, giggity.
Mode 7: The Filthy Mutie

"Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no affect on society." - Mark Twain