Author Topic: The end of the world...  (Read 15739 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« on: March 29, 2003, 10:39:50 PM »
...is near. My friend has officially crossed the line.  here's what he said:  "The xbox is the best system because it has the best games."  When I asked him what they were, he said HALO is the best game ever.  I told him the reason I like NIN, because you can't play METROID, ZELDA, MARIO OR RE anywhere besides the GC.  He actually had the nerve to say that those games are for the people who like adventure games, but everyone else likes xbox.  Now, this dude used to like Nintendo .  What happened?  I asked him why Xbox and not GC, and he gave me 1 reason...HALO.  I then asked him what other games are good, but he didn't name one.  I pestered him for a good 2 hours, and all he kept saying is, if you like those kiddie games, then good luck.  He also works for GAMESPOT(manager), so maybe he is just brainwashed, I mean to not come up with more than 1 game is pretty ridiculous.   I came up with at least 5 exclusive games for the GC .  Why can't he face facts?   Am I wrong?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 05:43:42 AM »
No, he is.  The end.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Munky

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 06:50:59 AM »
So what if he likes Xbox better than GC? I know a lot of people who do as well. Just let him think what he wants, and you continue playin' the Cube, where you'll have good games. And some exclusive Xbox games include Fable, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Halo, Halo 2, Unreal Championship, MechAssault, and plenty of others.
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 07:16:12 AM »
Point out to him the fact that both Halo and Halo 2 are coming out for computer, so you can own a Gamecube (SSBM and various other games beat the hell out of Halo anyway) and Halo and not pay all that money for an Xbox that'll suck.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 09:10:49 AM »
A lot of XBox fans seem to think Halo si the best game ever. While it is one *extremely* good first person shooter, it is by no means the best games ever- it's not even the best FPS in my opinion (I liked Wolfenstein 3D, Doom I and II, RtCW, Goldeneye, and Timesplitters 2 all much more). It also wasn't revolutionary, as they might claim- it offered nothing to the genre we haven't seen already, it just got 99.9% of those things almost perfect. Besides that, most of them can't even agree on what the second best game on the XBox is. On the Gamecube, I think the heirarchy for most people is obvious- Wind Waker is best followed closely by Metroid Prime, then Super Smash Bros, then either Super Mario Sunshine or Eternal Darknes. At least we know Nintendo can constantly pump out good games.

Alos, buying a system for one game is pretty stupid, even if that game is as good as Halo (and especially so sine Halo is comnig out for the PC). I personally never buy a system without first picking out 10 games on that system I'm certain I want to buy. It may take me a while to accumulate 10 games, but I at least want to know that I wasn't wasting my money on the system. Now I'll admit that there are quite a few good games for the XBox, but to me Halo's really the only GREAT game while on the Gamecube there's at least 5 GREAT games I own and more I'm going to buy.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 09:49:52 AM »
I'd just go back to playing my GCN and let him think what he wants.  Who really cares if he likes Xbox more.  Plenty of people do, and it does have good games.  I don't even own one, just played my friend's, and I realize that.

Offline J-Fresh

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 10:03:48 AM »
What a tool !
J-fresh !

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2003, 10:23:32 AM »

Point out to him the fact that both Halo and Halo 2 are coming out for computer, so you can own a Gamecube (SSBM and various other games beat the hell out of Halo anyway) and Halo and not pay all that money for an Xbox that'll suck.

Did that, and he just said 'Halo doesn't even have a release date yet'  He still couldn't tell me another exclusive worth owning, it all was Halo this and that.  Keep in mind, I wasn't busting his balls about liking the xbox more, I was asking him to defend his choice, which for some-odd reason , he couldn't.  It all started because I told him Nintendo has a lot of great games out or coming out   He said all the games, including Zelda, are 'only for people who like those types of games' and that 'Gamecube has action adventure games, and thats it'.  That is what brought the debate about.  He also said Metroid Prime was 'The most boring game he ever played'.  Did I mention , he is manager at our local gamestop?  

Sorry for repeating, but I forgot my post from last night as I was a little tipsy
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 10:54:43 AM »
Well, really, looking at the library of GCN games, many of them are action/advenure oriented.  Also, Halo and Halo 2 are looking to simultaneously launch with World of Warcraft they way they are going.  While I love MP, I could definatly see someone who enjoyed Halo a great deal getting bored in the lack of action much of the time, as much of it is adventuring and exploring.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 03:56:48 AM »
It's all a matter of preference.  I'd rather play a "fun" game like Mario Sunshine than a "bloody" game like Halo, but I guess your friend's the opposite.  What confuses me is that you can get Halo-like experiences on GameCube with Metroid Prime or TimeSplitters 2, so why abandon the console?  Makes no sense.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 07:35:56 AM »
"And some exclusive Xbox games include Fable, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Halo, Halo 2, Unreal Championship, MechAssault, and plenty of others."

i like how half those games arent out yet, and wont be in 2003....well not half but fable and halo2....unreal is good, but i play it on pc....its an older version though. and xtreme volleyball...more like xtremely lame.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 11:00:20 AM »
I just really can't believe how freaking overhyped Halo is.  It's really not THAT good, and it's just one game.

If you are going to get an Xbox, do it because of Panzer Dragoon, not Halo.  Getting an Xbox for Halo is just retarded.  Wait a couple of months for it to come out on PC, then laugh at all the people playing it on Xbox.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline codyy

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 01:24:23 PM »
DOA: Xtreme volleyball! you actually said that! you can go through the whole game without playing a single game of volleyball. the graphics are nice but, i'd rather gameplay.

It is the end. I was watching a special on Trio last night saying about how all the movies that come out now are blockbusters meaning lots of action no story. The golden age of movies was somewhere between 1932 and 1952. How can you compare Ben Hur to...let's say...Minority Report. Sure Minority report had lots of action, but it dwaves in comparison to the epic plot in Ben Hur. Studios are making sucky films because it targets that 13-21 year old groups of kids. until we stop going to see minority report, the hot chick, mr. deeds etc. they will just keep on making sucky films (don't get me wrong...I like action as much as the next guy...but yuck).

The same trend is happening to video games. alot of games are just plain shovel ware, it sucks, has no story line and the biggest decision you have to make is whether or not to steal that car or blow up that pedestrian. The creativity and originality is lacking. And when they do try to be creative, it doesn't sell. Sly Cooper is an excellent example. Awesome game. no sales.

Now mind you there are glimmers of hope in both industries. Movies like Gladiator and Chicago have action and story telling and...um...dancing. In video games: Zelda. Metroid. Sly Cooper. Splinter Cell. But, because of racism over being to kiddy or being called a nerd many people wont pick up these AAA+ games because they are for kids (except for splinter cell). And companies are guilty of this too. why would sega realese great games for Xbox that don't sell at all and you have to include them free with the box when gamecube owners line up to pick up the old Sonic advenure 2 dreamcast port.

Halo is a diamond in the rough. The only diamond. Splinter cell is going multi-, panzer dragoon is a rail shooter (i'll wait for dead phoenix, thank you very much), and Halo is going to be on PC. Halo is overhyped because it is the single, only exclusive, half decent Xbox game there is that isn't shovel ware (and it won game of the year in 2001).  the Video game industry will now collapse as it did with Atari and...THE END.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't know. I just wanted to vent my opinions.**sigh** Well, back to Zelda...
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token..."
--Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven, 1845.

To liberals everywhere: HA!

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 05:14:57 PM »
I have always wondered why companies dont try to make games like sly cooper and such for the cube.  I mean WE are the audience that truly appreciates that sort of innovation.  Same thing with rachet and clank and Jak and Daxter and Maximo.  Those would sell very nicely on the cube i believe.  But they get released on PS2 where 80% of the owners are too worried about if someone will mention that they own a "game for kids".  I know all about the politics of gaming and license owning and such, but still, you know what i mean.  PLUS, Halo is overrated beyond any game ever.  It is OK.  And i AM a huge FPS fan, but i still dont see the greatness behind Halo.  Only thing i really like is using the alien weapons and the decent story with good voice acting.  Bu i love games like Panzer.  I have a XBOX and i like it, but i love my cube.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 12:12:46 PM »
well jak and daksterr and sly cooper are both made by sony...scea and naugty dog....maximo is made by capcom who already give us love.......also ghouls and shost online is suppose dto be coming out which maximo is like mdoeled after.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2003, 01:29:41 PM »
lets all put it this way- each system has exclusives that other systems would like to have
i think that nintendo has the best games anyway- i own a gc, ps2, and dreamcast
i really only own the ps2 for the exclusive rpgs and the dreamcast since its awesome and cheap
the gc is where i play most of my games- mostly because nintendo dishes out the best games
ps2 has good rpgs
i dont have anything against xbox- but as others have said- the best game is halo followed by a game no one can name- because they dont know the second best game
i know xbox will get some good exclusives but most you can play on the computer soon
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2003, 03:29:22 PM »
Sly Cooper was awesome, but Jak and Dexter was just another pathetic "go around and get crap" game for me.  And it wasn't funny.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2003, 12:02:23 AM »
Theavenge,  I wouldn't exactly say you could get the same experience as you do in Halo, in Metroid.  The two games have nothing in common barring the persepective and someting does shoot away from you in both.  Not even bothering to comment on the word preference, it is useless.

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 01:41:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
I just really can't believe how freaking overhyped Halo is.  It's really not THAT good, and it's just one game.

If you are going to get an Xbox, do it because of Panzer Dragoon, not Halo.  Getting an Xbox for Halo is just retarded.  Wait a couple of months for it to come out on PC, then laugh at all the people playing it on Xbox.

LOL> Imagine if they made Zelda, Metroid Prime, and other GCN exclusives for the PC... then all the Xbox owners would laugh at us. Ha Ha but that's never gonna happen
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2003, 09:36:07 AM »
Who cares if HALO comes out on PC. Most casual games want to play in front of their TV not their stinking computers.
HALO is a great game, way better than golden eye IMO. I would love to know how many people here who say crap about HALO havent even played it.

God I hate fanboys.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2003, 10:58:53 AM »
I've played it, about five hours total, probably more.  It's an awesome game, but I don't like it as much as Metroid Prime and some other GC games (using MP for example because it's also FPS).  I like Halo more than Goldeneye, but it's certainly not worth an Xbox.  And, so you know, thecubedcanuck, playing a game on your computer is fine.  Multiplayer is more difficult to do, but it's certainly easier to play the game on the computer than waste 150 or 200+ bucks on an Xbox.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2003, 11:44:59 AM »
"HALO is a great game, way better than golden eye IMO. I would love to know how many people here who say crap about HALO havent even played it."

Yeah, well we're not fanboys if we didn't think Halo was the greatest game ever made. In MY opinion, Goldeneye kicked Halo's ass- much better locales, missions, multiplayer, and just plain more fun. Suer Halo is an amazing FPS, but it's just like any other FPS out there. It offered nothing new to the genre, it's levels were all very similar, and it had barely any variations of enemies. Even when the Flood came, most were just organic versions of the Covenant. The 2 gun limit I hated- sure it's realistic, but sometimes realisms doesn't mean fun, and in this case that's true. The game would've been a lot better if they not only had the option to carry more weapons, but had more KINDS of weapons, too. I mean come one- the game was in development for *years*- they could've at least designed some more levels, enemies, and weapons. It would've given the game much more variety, especially when you compare it to other FPS's that have enemy and gun variations out the wazoo. It's multiplayer was alos pretty dull- I imagine the 16 player network option is a blast, but I haven't personally experienced that and doubt I ever will. The arenas were boring and often times way too small, and there were barely any multiplayer modes (look at how many Timesplitters 2 had!). I'm not saying Halo was a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, it just didn't offer anything new and hindered itself in many areas. The rest of the game Bungie got down great, which is why it's such a blast to play (it also has a great story, something nearly all FPS's lack almost entirely), but it was not innovative and could've been done better. I still hold by that Timesplitters 2, Doom, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark were all better.

Alos, true 90% of Halo's sales will be on the Xbox, but the fact that the PC version is there at all really hits the whole "buy an XBox for Halo!" thing, or at least it would have if it were released sooner- sure people like to play games on TV's, but they'd rather not spend $200 plus the game so they can do that. I imagine PC sales of Halo 2 (which looks almost exactly like Halo 1- not that that's entirely bad, but I'd like to see Bungie really show their talen instead of catering to the obvous audience) will be more balanced with the XBox version than Halo 1.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2003, 01:03:35 PM »
personally i liked halo but it was definately wasnt as good as everyone makes it out to be
i mean metroid prime had more innovation when it came to fps and how they can be played
but halo was rushed remember- i think the last 4 levels were repeats of the first couple but with new enemies and stuff
the only problem with halo was that it was definately over hyped
i still think that goldeneye and perfect dark have the coolest mission structures
not only that but their multiplayers are better than halo
i would have liked halo more with bots for the multi- but again remember- it was rushed to ship on the release of the xbox
everyone says halo revolutionized the fps genra, but i still cant believe that
it basically took a fps and did almost everything right

"It's multiplayer was alos pretty dull- I imagine the 16 player network option is a blast, but I haven't personally experienced that and doubt I ever will."

now thats what i agree to also- and i did play the 16 player network game and it is cool but you need too much to have a party with halo like that
you need 4 xboxs, 16 controllers, 4 tvs, and 16 people- all in the same room or spread out a little
that is very hard to do just to play a few games of halo
also- timesplitters 2 runs faster for multi and can support bots and more options
but i really cant bash halo too much can i? i mean it is a great game on its own right but not as innovated as other fps

all my friends tell me to buy an xbox for halo
but when i ask them what other games are on there they really cant answer that one
thats why i cant buy an xbox yet- not for one game- i need more diversity  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2003, 02:07:34 PM »

easier to play the game on the computer than waste 150 or 200+ bucks on an Xbox.

Not if you have the money? To me $300 is peanuts, I love my leather chair for playing, you can shove the PC.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2003, 05:50:39 PM »
I played Halo from beginning to end with a friend, and I have to say, if we hadn't been playing cooperatively, I would have quit two or three levels in.  The levels were just too huge and repetitive...we had to replay one level three times because the game won't save part way through and we didn't have three frickin' hours to play it in!!  My friend actually admits that he hardly ever plays the game alone, and he can't get any of his friends except for me to play it with him.  My point is not that Halo is a bad game, it's actually pretty good, but it definitely didn't live up to my expectations.  There are a lot of other Xbox games I'd rather play...

But I'm a bit off-topic.  If your friend loves Halo and the Xbox, what can you do?  Everyone's free to make their choice, and it sounds like he's perfectly happy with it.  What's wrong with that?  If you can convince him to play something else, cheers to you!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2003, 09:31:34 PM »
  His constant shots at Nintendo are so tiresome, that I can't help but wonder why he believes the XBOX is so great.  If he could give me more than 1 game , then I would say, OK I SEE... but he's coming with a knife to a gun fight with his weak arguments.  I can support my reasoning on buying the Gamecube-first and second party games only available on Nintendo systems.  As I see it, 75% of the 'exclusive' good(not DOA volleyball) games for the XBOX are available or will be elsewhere.

Obviously, my problem is his argument, not his choice.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2003, 10:41:37 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
Who cares if HALO comes out on PC. Most casual games want to play in front of their TV not their stinking computers.
HALO is a great game, way better than golden eye IMO. I would love to know how many people here who say crap about HALO havent even played it.

God I hate fanboys.

huh?  i know more gamers who prefer playing on PCs than in front of their TV.  secondly, FPS is best suited for the PC.  i can't imagine using the control stick over the mouse.  the mouse is way better.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2003, 11:29:54 AM »
"To me $300 is peanuts, I love my leather chair for playing, you can shove the PC. "

PEANUTS? To most gamers, $300 is a god send. That's roughly the equivalent of 6 games (5 if you include tax, but almost 6). It takes me a while to get money to buy all the games I want, and that's WITH having a paper delivery job last summer and having rich relatives who are there for me on birthdays (I got $220 on my birthday this year). Most of my friends couldn't dream of ever saving up $300 to spend on games. A friend of mine owned 1 Gamecube game for something like 3 or 4 months before Christmas finally rolled around and he got 2 more (well, 1 more- the other game was Ty for his little sisters). To most people, $300 is a fat chunk of change.

"secondly, FPS is best suited for the PC. i can't imagine using the control stick over the mouse. the mouse is way better."

Not always- FPS's made for the PC are great on PC's but tend to really suck on consoles. Likewise, FPS's made for consoles tend to suck on PC's. I couldn't imagine playing Goldeneye on my PC. It just wouldn't work.

And that's one of the strong points of Halo, in my opinion. Bungie was really able to make an FPS that was originally intended for a computer work great on a console. I think a lot of developers could learn something from the way that they adapted Halo to the Xbox.  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2003, 01:20:25 PM »
Halo at macword was so ungodly beautiful, I really think that it would have been a better game had it come out for mac. Not saying that halo now is bad (although I need my friggin bots) either, but it would have been better.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2003, 01:54:06 PM »
I'm so proud of your wealthy lifestyle, cubed, but now you're being ignorant.  You're not the only gamer in the world.

Halo is a very, very fun game, but it's not any better than multiple Gamecube games, and could possibly be considered worse, depending on the audience.  I think Xbox fans are very close minded about GC. . . and before you rant at me, notice the "Halo is a very, very fun game" comment.  Xbox is fine; I personally prefer Gamecube, and I truly think that if many Xbox fans even bothered playing a good GC game they'd like it.  They insult the system when most of them have barely, if ever, played it.

Offline Duriez

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2003, 05:42:25 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck

God I hate fanboys.

I played Halo 4-player for a good hour.  GE 4-player is still better IMO.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2003, 02:11:12 PM »
Some random guy somewhere likes the Xbox better than the GCN? Are you serious?!

I hate topics like this.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2003, 07:07:19 PM »
  Than why did you post?  Especially with something as utterly useless as 'I hate topics like this'.

I hate people who post on a topic just to say they hate that very topic.

Offline NiteWalker

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2003, 04:26:31 AM »
Listen Omen, if your friend is in that kind of opinion he should leave gamespot.  You cannot work at such a place being biased like that. It hurts sales for other systems in a chain reaction type effect.  

"No, don't buy a gamecube buy an xbox, it has halo."

If I ever heard that shopping for a system I'd never shop there again and make my experience publicly known.

All systems have different games to cater to different needs.  Buy what you will play.  If your friend can only come up with halo as a must buy game for xbox(which it is), then he wasted his money as I can't see myself buying a system for one game.   Does he even own any other xbox games?
My Games
--------------------------------------------
I Stand Alone

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2003, 11:10:41 AM »
Well, I hate people who hate people who post on a topic just to say they hate that very topic. Er... *confuses self* Never mind.

I posted because I'm sick of the attitude of many people that seem to think that someone's opinion is somehow less than or wrong compared to their opinion.  If someone likes Xbox over GameCube, it's most likely because they played the games and enjoy them more.  Since he works for GameSpot, I'm sure he has experience with the GCN, and he simply doesn't really like adventure games.  I see no reason to insist that someone likes the same game system you do.  What someone does with their money and their time is their business - why do you care?  He's not committing treason.  He's not betraying Nintendo or waging a feudal war against them.  He's just playing different video games than you.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2003, 07:35:23 PM »

I posted because I'm sick of the attitude of many people that seem to think that someone's opinion is somehow less than or wrong compared to their opinion. If someone likes Xbox over GameCube, it's most likely because they played the games and enjoy them more. Since he works for GameSpot, I'm sure he has experience with the GCN, and he simply doesn't really like adventure games. I see no reason to insist that someone likes the same game system you do. What someone does with their money and their time is their business - why do you care? He's not committing treason. He's not betraying Nintendo or waging a feudal war against them. He's just playing different video games than you.

Evidently, you didn't read my first two posts on this thread.  My friend is entitled to his own opinion , obviously, but when he brazenly busts on Metroid and Zelda, I am also entitled to ask him about the 'must have ' games for his vaunted XBOX.  His response?  Halo.  Thats it.  It seems to me if you can bust chops about Nintendo sucking and XBOX being the best, you should be able to back up your position.  I'm not insisting he like anything, i'm am demanding for more than 1 game he deems worthy of buying the xbox.  I don't care if he likes GC, I care for his reasoning, of which he has none.  Understand?

You know what I hate?  People who post they hate people that post how they hate people who post on a thread .....of how they hate people,....who....

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2003, 08:50:52 PM »
All right, fine - I admit I didn't read your second post in this topic.  But I still don't think I would care in your position.  Why should someone have to defend an opinion?  If I like the colour blue better than red, does there really have to be a reason?  I suppose it could be an issue because of his position at Gamestop, but unless he starts setting Nintendo games aflame in nightly bonfires, I can't see how it would really be a problem.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2003, 02:06:51 AM »
He is the one who was ragging on GC, when I simply asked, 'why should I get a xbox?'  His only answer was Halo.  Thats how it started.  I told him it's ridiculous to buy a system for 1 game, when I could just get it on my PC.  Thats the jist of the argument.  Most people who feel so strongly about a certain system would have no problem backing up why its worth owning.  He does , though.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2003, 07:24:53 PM »
I already replied to this thread but an error occured and its not showing up so here i go again
i know what to do about your biased friend

GET HIM FIRED!

my idea, get a girl to become his girlfriend
and just have her call him at work all the time
at some point he could get fired,
also even better... have her ask him to call her (from work) as much as possible
HEHEHEHEHE

if you can find a gamer girl all the better
and if she plays some gamecube games she enjoys it will be much easier to do this diabolical scheme

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2003, 06:08:57 AM »

my idea, get a girl to become his girlfriend
and just have her call him at work all the time
at some point he could get fired

Sadly, this Seinfeld-esque solution wouldnt fly, because he is the manager. ... And I get discounts on my purchases....

Offline Mode 7

• View Profile
The end of the world...
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2003, 02:13:42 PM »
Bear with me, because after reading the last page or so, I couldn't really get a feel for where the hell this discussion/arguement was going...

I like playing Halo now and then with my friends, but here are my complaints: no bots, very limited locals (especially for vehicles), limited weaponry (not the "having only two guns" part, but the entire library), the main game levels are too large for cooperative play (no saving), the occasional backward glitch, the character design in multiplayer is bland, and it has a cult of followers that are almost more obsessive about it than those that live their breathing hours on Everquest. I think these complaints speak for themselves.

After beating it on "Legendary" on both single player and cooperative mode, I seriously had to walk away and not play it for a very long time. Not because it was too good, but because it was too much. "The Maw" was ridiculous. Now I can only play it in small doses.

I think at this point in the argument, I have to say Timesplitters 2 is a very underrated game. I personally like that, Perfect Dark, and GoldenEye 007 better. They have more character, which appeals to me. There's also more variety in every other category (except that 007 didn't have bots, and none of them have vehicles, which is fine for me).

And as for multiplayer madness and vehicles galore... I was there for Starseige Tribes. Halo hardly broke new ground in that department. I wish they'd do a Starseige Tribes 3 (since 2 had some... twitch... problems).

As much as I hate to side with anyone on a board, especially those that insinuate I'm an idiot on other threads, The Omen has the right idea. If you're going to bring your opinion/screeching to the table and expect to be taken seriously and respectfully, be able to back your opinion up in a serious and respectful manner. I hate it when people tell me something is awesome or it sucks, but they can't tell me why they feel that way.

Any other points I didn't address are because they weren't worth investing time in, or that my stomach's growling and I need to stuff my face. Now, in typical fashion, I'm going to go make some dinner and watch a few episodes of The Family Guy. Giggity, giggity.
Mode 7: The Filthy Mutie

"Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no affect on society." - Mark Twain