Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 171261 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!
« Reply #600 on: September 10, 2012, 12:57:39 AM »
Well, going back to final thoughts of the game, I played the crap out of Xenoblade- and don't get me wrong, I love Xenoblade and all that it does because what it does is just pure fun. I wasn't even totally sure of the Last Story when I first picked it up, especially after playing Xenoblade. But I really liked the Last Story because it was so different from Xenoblade, and told such a confined, enjoyable, and grounded narrative- it's not a grand RPG in the sense that huge things are happening. You're playing as this guy whose hidden power isn't earth-shattering- in combat, it doesn't really do that much- but it factors into the gameplay so heavily. Really, there's a number of ways to complete every battle and finding shortcuts within them is always a cool thing to do. But I found commanding the battles to be fun, and what's more, I found the bosses to be amazing. Seriously, pretty much every boss fight in the game was really fun because they used the battle mechanics in a number of different ways. I enjoyed that a lot, and I also think that the battle system shows a lot of promise and wasn't utilized fully in the game- but towards the later sections, when magic walls and barriers come into play, that's when the game becomes more like "real-time chess" and less like a hack-and-slash. Even when it is hack-and-slash, it can still be fun with all the options you have available, like parrying, dodging, Spirit Breaks, using the Gathering Break, and more...

I guess I went into the game very skeptical but was extremely pleased. I guess that's what's odd- I came to this topic gushing and I may have gotten people's hopes up, when I had low expectations first going in. I like it because it's a very different RPG that has a lot of charm to it- in the character banter, in the tight environments, and in the memorable boss encounters. Honestly, if you're going to do New Game+, do it because you loved the bosses. The enemies don't get much tougher, but the bosses get a severe boost in power, which makes them all the more memorable- and they're the memorable parts. Also, play online as a couple different characters and you may get more of an appreciation for the battle system.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 10, 2012, 06:58:20 AM »
I did play a bit of online co-op early on out of curiosity. It was neat to play as Calista, Mirania, and other characters, though I had no chance against the high-leveled bosses. The parts in the story where you control other characters are really fun and I wish there were more of them. I can't imagine many people are playing the game's online multiplayer offerings. Still, it is fun to mess around with the voice samples in the multiplayer's communication menus. There are over 7000 sound bytes to sample!

I managed to upgrade the Dragon armor set to the maximum level and I love how ridiculous it looks. I played a bit of New Game + and I'm slightly disappointed that only the bosses match the player level.

I didn't know what to expect out of The Last Story when I first started playing it. All I heard was that many preferred Xenoblade Chronicles, a game that I let take me on its journey for 200 hours, after playing both. Adding to that, Mistwalker had lukewarm reactions to its previous big RPGs. In the first few hours of The Last Story, I enjoyed the detailed world and real-time battles.

To The Last Story's detriment, I had Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles, two games I absolutely adore, on my mind as I was playing. The Last Story's hybrid system of real-time and paused-time battles does not match the strategic and tactical depth Valkyria Chronicles offers with its vastly different system. The world building and overall execution of Xenoblade Chronicles dwarfs The Last Story. The characters of The Last Story are great fun to have in your party and have some depth to them (though not enough). I admit it isn't fair to compare the three games against each other, especially so with Valkyria Chronicles.

To reiterate broodwars' thoughts, it is clear that Mistwalker has something with great potential in The Last Story. It is a shame that the game doesn't fully realize the potential it opens. However, that doesn't stop The Last Story from being a worthwhile adventure.

Here's to hoping The Last Story 2 (or spiritual successor) will be a revelation on the level of Assassin's Creed 2.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 16, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »
Finally gotten around to playing this game (reached chapter 30 now) and it's starting to "grow" on me even though the game is nonpolished--lots of good ideas but the developers really needed another year to fix a few issues.

For one, why couldn't I use the WII remote as a pointer?  First generation of wii games I let it slide but this is 6 years later and this game was built ground up for the WII and it didn't use any of the motion controls/IR pointer for anything?  Disappointing.

Two, autoattack?  You character automattically attacks any enemy within range (unless he's hiding) but there's times when it  fails (like when you're trying to retreat yet your character continues to attack).  I guess there's an option to turn it off which I just looked up.

Three, you mostly play as one character in the single player mode.  In the begining of the game you switched characters within the first few minutes but for the rest of the game 90% of the time you're playing just as Zael.  If you play in multiplayer mode you can pick what character you want.   Another disappointment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mystwalker had some neat ideas for their first attempt at real time RPG but I really can't recommend this one over the other Wii RPG, Xenoblade. 

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 16, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »
I wouldn't recommend it over Xenoblade in any way, but it's a nice RPG that compliments it. Everything Xenoblade does, the Last Story does in the opposite way, at least, in scope, storytelling, character emphasis, and the like.

Have I mentioned I love this game? I do, yeah.

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 16, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »
Multiple reviews I read insisted that the auto-attack be turned off, and so I was ready for that before starting. But after 20 or so chapters I decided to try playing with auto-attack on and found it wasn't so completely horrible. I do agree that the lack of IR in the menus is funky. It really wouldn't be hard to believe that this was designed for the PS3 and when the ran out of cash to pay artists (and play testers), it was shifted to Wii. With that said, there are several things I like about it more than Xenoblade including more charismatic characters (could be the scenario, writing, voice acting, or all the above) and less filler. I would personally say it's a must-own Wii game. Part of me thinks it will be overlooked in various platform retrospectives because authors feel they have to pick between it and Xenoblade.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
I have also started playing this game recently, and I find it to be wildly inconsistent.

I switched to Manual before even playing my first battle, Auto just didn't seem like a good idea since it restricts movement. I don't know how much damage is reduced, but I haven't felt like I'm dealing weak hits, so it can't be too much. In fact, I end up doing the majority of damage, because my party members have the worst AI I have yet to see in an RPG. For a while into the game, they'd get themselves killed within five seconds, even to lowly grunts, so I'd either have to take out all enemies meself or risk getting mobbed trying to revive them. Things got better after I was able to gain them enough levels and better equipment, but they'll still sit there trying to cast spells when repeatedly getting hit, and they attack very slowly. If that speed is the same as Auto, it wouldn't work well.

Now to be fair, I hate party AI. Part of the reason I like turn-based RPGs is that I can control every member. Command mode helps somewhat, but it isn't enough for me. There really should be a multiplayer component, both local and online. This is even less excusable than Xenoblade since they already took the time to set up an online component, so you should be able to play through the game in multiplayer. It'd certainly make my time with it a lot more enjoyable.

The combat system is novel. Spamming the attack button does work for most enemies, however it takes a lot more time. Battles feel more like a puzzle since there's usually a way to make them go a lot faster and more smoothly, and bosses have a specific way of dealing with them. However, it doesn't feel like there's more than one way to tackle each battle, so I'm not so sure how much strategy is actually involved. I'll have to play some more to figure that out, maybe there are some intricacies that I have yet to pick up. It would also be nice if there were some incentive to finish battles quickly, to discourage spamming.

The graphics are also a mixed bag, some things look nice and detailed whilst others look blurry and blocky. The colouring is kind of drab as well, but I s'pose that's just the game's style. The story is decent, most of the characters are clichés but have enough personality to still be interesting in some cases. The narration with white text on a black screen is a real copout though, makes the game feel cheap. The scenes where you have to look around to find something aren't as bad as Metroid Other M since the thing you have to spot is usually easy to find, but in most cases it's unnecessary. I'm also confused why there is no pointer control for the crossbow.

I want to like this game, but it sure does show its ugly side a lot. I've even run into a few glitches that made me had to reload a save, such as prompts not appearing for places I needed to go. It is starting to get better, but it's definitely a rough game, and I don't know if its novel ideas are enough to save it in the end. I shall see.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:56:07 PM by Mop it up »

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 16, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
"but they'll still sit there trying to cast spells when repeatedly getting hit, and they attack very slowly. If that speed is the same as Auto,"

Ah, yeah, you have to draw enemy fire (since Zeal, your main character is an tank anyhow) by using the outsider power.  Also by using "commands" (that little bar under your health) you can speed up your friendly mages to fire within a few seconds (3 I think compared to 18 seconds for their normal).  What I normally did was run straight into the enemy (always go for enemy mages/rangers since you can usually kill them off within a few hits and prevents them from casting--spells do alot of damage to Zeal--at least to my Zeal since by default he's equipped with more physical armor than magical defence.  I guess you can change that but I never bother (I just use auto-equip for the most part).

Later in the game you gain a few abilities that make swarming enemies easier to deal with, my favorite method was using Wall/flip attack since that not only give you an area ground attack but it broke enemy armor as well then you could follow up with "accelerator" and then casting another "gale" with Zeal that way the whole party could be hasted.  Once that happens your melee character/ with Zeal would get 10+ chains attacks.

That's just my method anyhow.

I'm almost done now, reached chapter 39 so I have about 5 hours left?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 17, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »
The AI at the beginning of the game was pretty weak, I'll admit. When I first went into the game up until about chapter 10, I wasn't that convinced of the battle system, but truthfully the command system is a wonderful method of managing the squad based combat, especially since it buffs melee based squad mates and expedites spell casting in the early portions of the game and becomes a paper-punching mechanic once you unlock Spirit Breaks. To me the novelty of the game's combat and skirmishes is being Zael and having a lot of ability and potential but really not being strong enough to overcome enemies without either stealth or the sum of your parts- AKA the rest of your party.

There are times when I felt like I was really commanding the field- especially when I had Dagran, Mirania, and Yurick in the earlier portions of the game. But as I progressed and the number of party members would change- I felt that control stripped from me and I found myself relying on Zael's abilities to revive and command squad mates more. Grinding is easy, of course, but it was more fun to vault around the environments and revive party members, or covering them by taking out those shuffling grunts who threaten to halt their casting or are a bit too big to take on alone

I think the Last Story is a great RPG because everything you could possibly need to overcome and advance in those larger, chapter-based skirmishes is in the brilliantly-crafted hub town. Again, it's not massive, but it has all the items, side quests, and grinding you could possibly ask for in the form of the arena. I think if you don't take the time to appreciate the elements of the town and how they can really balance out all those partner AI inconsistencies and battle difficulties- but the battles are really what this game is all about, so if you want to really have fun in them, you might want to take note of all the tools the game gives you to make them as neat as they can be.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 17, 2012, 03:34:44 AM »
Finished it --30ish hour mark.

Like someone else mentioned but Syrenne & Lowell really stole the show--the other characters were bleh.  Really wished mystwalker had developed the characters more, like how they all got together would have been a great start.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
I've just beaten the mansion, and I gotta be honest, I'm not really feeling the game at all. I'm over halfway through, right?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 18, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
The arena is a disappointment. It's just the same fight over and over and over again with slightly higher-leveled enemies each time.

I've just beaten the mansion, and I gotta be honest, I'm not really feeling the game at all. I'm over halfway through, right?
Depends on how much of the side stuff you do, but probably just under halfway.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
Thanks. I'll probably finish it some other time, then.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 18, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
The arena is a disappointment. It's just the same fight over and over and over again with slightly higher-leveled enemies each time.
You have to progress in the story to get the next set of enemies. There's three sets in total, I think.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
Good to know.

Hey speaking of the mansion, has anyone else encountered glitches in this game? When I was in the mansion, Horace got captured by the black skeleton and I went back to the coffins to retrieve him, he just kept laying in there and didn't jump out. So I went to save (in a different slot) and reload, and then it looked like he was back in my party... except he wasn't moving and didn't follow me. I ended up having to reload an earlier save.

And this is the fourth glitch I've come across... so far!

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 20, 2012, 06:50:36 AM »
Never had any game-breaking bugs in my time with the game. Luck of the draw.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 21, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »
Yeah, I don't recall hearing people talk about glitches in this game, so I think I'm just unlucky. I did look them up though, so I can confirm that I wasn't missing anything and they were indeed glitches.

Are there any missable chapters in this game? I see they are not always in order, as I completed 24 before I did 22 and 23, but I don't recall seeing a chapter 21. It's possible I just didn't noticed it displayed if I already played it, or is that a side chapter I haven't found yet?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 22, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
There are some missable chapters, but they simply give Mirania and Yurick some character development.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 26, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »
I think my party members are just trolling me now.

"Look out, the ceiling is collapsing!"
*gets crushed by ceiling*

"They're weak against magic, but not ice magic."
*uses ice magic on the enemies*

Idiots.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
The ceiling incident can't be helped when the AI is poor. In the case of ice magic, the element is tied to the character so it's something you can work around. Also, I've noticed that when you give a party member a command that will be the action they will perform until you command them again. So, if you tell Calista to cast a healing circle, she will keep casting healing circles until you command her to use her light-element attack.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 26, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
Also, I've noticed that when you give a party member a command that will be the action they will perform until you command them again.
This is true up until the enemy they are focused on is defeated, then they go back to acting on their own accord. In the specific case that the quotes are from, the boss would change back and forth between forms, and this was enough to cause Lowell to switch back to using ice magic. So I had to command him after every switch to stop, which isn't always easy since it requires a full special bar and I use Gale a lot to diffuse magic circles (especially ice ones before it heals the boss).

I'm not sure what the work-around is that you're talking about, I didn't see an option to leave Lowell behind. Really, all this could be solved by simple commands like "Don't use magic," ones you should be able to use without using SP. I tried "Retreat," but characters still cast magic when waiting around in heal circles.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 27, 2012, 01:55:53 AM »
You can pick and choose your party members, but that is reserved for the Colosseum and repeating dungeons. Ah, I lied about the work around. Retreat won't stop Lowell from using magic so the only other recourse is to command him to be a berzerker. It's annoying to have party members use magic that an enemy is resistant to, but I never noticed an enemy being healed because of it. I'm grateful for that and for the game not grading the player negatively for using resistant magic.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 27, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
It was definitely healing the boss in question, I saw green numbers and the health bar was going back up. It also applies to when characters stand in the magic circle and it powers their weapons, there was an incident where Lowell used ice right as I was doing the vertical slice on the boss, and it regained about a fourth of its health bar. Fortunately I always sufficiently level myself, so I have no problem lasting through all the mishaps of the dumb AI in this game.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
You can select what your AI is doing though?  If they are mage by default then switch them to melee (swords) through the command menu.  Once you do this they will continue to use melee until end of the battle.   

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 27, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
That isn't true, read my previous post.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 27, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
Really? Damn, I must have a bad memory. Then again, I didn't use elemental magic that an enemy was resistant to all that often. I was pretty good at avoiding that mistake even with the party AI.

EDIT: I must have forgotten about magic healing the enemy since the majority of the fights in the game are quick and easy. Boss fights usually only have one trick to understand in order to beat them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:59:14 PM by Enner »