Author Topic: WW of OoT style graphics??  (Read 11148 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
WW of OoT style graphics??
« on: July 29, 2003, 07:32:25 PM »
I'm just wondering what you thought the better style of graphics is for the next zelda game.  Would you prefer cartoon like WW or more realistic like OoT.  ALso, what are your general opinions?

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: WW of OoT style graphics??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 09:19:49 PM »
my general opinion that pie is tastey, and is best consumed by cramming it into your mouth in 1 go, as for the former, what ever miyamoto/aryuma (sp?) decides best fits the game, gameplay > story > graphis = music > instruction book > boxart, the order of importance! (in my mind)

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 09:27:08 PM »
I would prefer a combination of the two. Use cel-shaded graphics like in Wind Waker but use the art style from OoT. Honestly I feel that an ultra realistic Zelda would be just wrong considering it's a light hearted fantasy series.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 09:48:37 PM »
I want black and white Game & Watch style graphics for the next Zelda. It'd sell like hotcakes. Nothing suss.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 11:27:38 PM »
OoT wasn't wholly realistic to begin with... maybe halfway there.  Look at the silly carpenters, the lake scientist, Talon & Ingo, Malon's face, Anju's face... I guess when you say 'realistic', you mean 'StarFox Adventures realistic'.  (Krystal, GRRRAAUUUUU)
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:WW of OoT style graphics??
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 01:04:59 AM »
Well, considering the next game will be a direct sequel to Wind Waker, I'd prefer the cel-shaded graphical style to keep up with continuity, However, a style like OoT's (only much more detailed of course, like those mock ups) would be great.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Game_Master

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 03:31:08 PM »
I agree with mouse_clicker. Sure the realistic graphics would look cool but it wouldn't go good as a sequal to WW. So it should be cel-shaded to it looks really like a sequal.
I'm trying to get a life... How much do they cost?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 03:36:31 PM »
You can probably do a lot more with cell shading (i think thats what
you're calling WW??)  than you can with OoT style.  For example, (this is just me by the way), I honestly can't see the hurricane spin looking very convincing in the OoT format.  You can make everything alot more make-beleive with the cartoon.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 03:50:23 PM »
Whatever the game is, I want Wind Waker graphics.  They seem exactly like the original intent of the game, while the OoT graphics seem like an experiment gone bad.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 06:11:22 PM »
I love the enemies in WW, such as the pigs.  Poke them in the but, and watch them squirm.  The WW engine is to good to not use at least one more time.  You dont completely appreciate the graphics in WW until youve played it for a few hours, its not gonna blow you away in the first 10 minutes.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 03:00:51 AM »
it blew me away as soon as i started on outset, and just kept on blowing!

dont take that out of context please

Offline Lil Ayrill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 04:38:16 PM »
I will love the game as long as it's in wind waker graphics. I hate the graphics they used in OoT. In WW everything looks so real. In the first game it looks like there's something wrong with the way everything looks. I agree with Grey Ninja it looks like an experiment gone bad.  
You wack me hard with a stick I wack you harder.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 04:42:43 PM »
You have to remember also that OoT was an N64 game, which look horrible to us now that were used to scenes made o millions of polygons rather than thousands. I seriously suggest everyone look at those mock-ups on IGN a use made (if they're still up)- they look great.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 05:21:06 PM »
Do you think the cube would be powerful enough to run the game if EVERYTHING was done like SSBM quality?  That would look awesome.  But if it looked that good, they would have to make the moves and actions and everything look more believable.  One thing with cartoon is that you can make extremely far-fecthed thing look believable.  Anyway, the cube probably wouldn't have the power to run a game of that quality.  (I'm just guessing by the way, so I beg your forgivness if I'M wrong)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 09:08:07 PM »
Definitely- look at the level of detail in the SW2K demo, considering it was made in less than a week. If Nintendo was given some more time, I think you'd be blown away with what they would have.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 05:18:37 AM »
The problem with the super realistic look is the one that is keeping Miyamoto from fulfilling it in at least this generation of consoles.  Yeah, the SW2K Link/Ganondorf footage looks good, but look at the animation.  It's pretty choppy because it is extremely tough to make as many animations as in WW in a super realistic game.  If in the next generation of systems this level of animation in super realistic graphics can be achieved, then that will be the time where a realistic LoZ will become reality.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Lil Ayrill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2003, 07:16:09 AM »
If you ask me I'm fine with the graphics now that they used in WW. I wouldn't enjoy it as much if its in OoT graphics.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 11:57:33 AM »
"It's pretty choppy because it is extremely tough to make as many animations as in WW in a super realistic game."

For one it's unfair toe compare a tech demo made in less than a week to a full fledged videogame that was worked on for something like 2 years, and even then the tech demo still looks great. And secondly, Metroid Prime goes for the super realistic style and I think it's animatio looks fine. Seriously, if ANYONE can make a super realistic visual style work, it's Nintendo. I have complete faith that they'd be able to find a way.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 01:22:44 PM »
I know comparing the two was slightly biased, but I am also just paraphrasing what Miyamoto himself has admitted.  He complained that the problem with OoT was that Link's movements were way too stiff to look realistic.  Again I'll say that once animation in realistic graphics has been perfected Ninty may give a realistic version of Zelda the go-ahead.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Lil Ayrill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 01:26:22 PM »
I totally agree with you Bill but still. I got OoT for the GC and it still didnt look all that great. Sure it showd his collar and some other stuff but it wasnt as good as Wind Waker.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2003, 01:30:12 PM »
"He complained that the problem with OoT was that Link's movements were way too stiff to look realistic."

The animation was stiff because it was on the N64, man. Every game had stiff animation in that generation. I thought the animation was wonderfully smooth in the SW2K demo.

Ayrill: All they did was crank up the resolution- otherwise, it was a straight port with absolutely 0 other graphical improvements.

Offline Lil Ayrill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2003, 01:37:52 PM »
But in WW graphics everything that was far fetched looked so real.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2003, 01:42:29 PM »
That's why it would be hard to go back to OoT graphics.  I'd love to see the hurricane spin in OoT.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2003, 01:53:33 PM »
Just because something is far fetched doesn't automatically make a realistic visual style not work. Look at Lord of the Rings- not one frame goes by without something being outlandish and it's utterly and wholly believable. Then go back and look at the Bakshi animated version- it just didn't work. Nintendo could make a realistic visual style work- you put your faith in them to make a cartoony style work, so what's so weird about Nintendo making a realistic idea work.

And there's a lot of contradiction between exactly what OoT's style is- you guys here are claiming it was realistic, but a lot of other people say it wasn't. Which is it?  

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 01:57:09 PM »
When I say realistic, I mean OoT style.  The only true realistic I've seen is SSBM.  When I say cartoon, I obviously refer to WW.  And I suppose you have a point.  It might just take a couple of seconds to get used to.