Author Topic: Diddy Kong Racing  (Read 6318 times)

Offline odilon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Diddy Kong Racing
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:00:40 AM »
I just posted this in another topic, but I figured this game needed its own thread.

Gamespot article on DKR!

Rare is developing it.  Wi-fi play!  Touch screen and microphone usage.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Diddy Kong Racing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:01:06 AM »
Not on the floor.  BOO!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:33 AM »
No wonder Rare is putting out lack luster games for Microsoft, they are still putting all their efforts into Nintedo games! LOL

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 10:21:19 AM »
Yeah, how odd is that. First Moore praises the Wii, then Rare announces a DS title.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:31:10 AM »
So Microsoft basically paid Nintendo to make games on the DS.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Cap

• View Profile
RE:Diddy Kong Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »
is this actually a sequal to diddy kong racing(it definately appears to be, it just doesnt make any sense to me)? doesnt nintendo own diddy kong? nintendo gave their license out to microsoft? this is just weird..... but oh well, i loved dkr!  

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:59:05 PM »
8 players - Single cart / WiFi. Track editor! More Weapons, vehicles, characters!

HOLY SH!T
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »
Cap, I believe (somebody correct me if Im wrong) that Donkey Kong is property of nintendo (having been in the original donkey kong game), but Diddy Kong, along with the other kongs, is property of Rare (having first shown up on DKC, which was made by rare)
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »
All the "Kongs" and related IP are owned by Nintendo.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 07:33:04 PM »
Yeah, hence Diddy in MK: DD and him and Dixie in Mario Baseball, plus all the DKC stuff in Mario Power Tennis (if I remember correctly). Nintendo knew Rare was obviously the best team to port their old game, and Microsoft doesn't care about working on Nintendo handhelds as they're not losing money by associating with them, at least until an Xbox Portable comes out and fails.  

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 08:40:04 PM »
I wonder if we're really going to see that Xbox portable. I figured it to be a way to foil PS3-PSP connectivity as a selling point. But since the best Sony's done with that connectivity so far is make the PSP a $250 rear view mirror... seems like it might not be needed.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 09:00:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
All the "Kongs" and related IP are owned by Nintendo.
King Kong?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »
oops, my bad.  I thought I heard that somewhere.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »
I never really played the original Diddy Kong Racing, but is there any equivalent in this game to Mario Kart's snaking? If not, I'm very excited for this game. If so... meh.  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »
Nintendo owned everything Rare made back when they were working for Nintendo. But then Nintendo gave/sold Rare most/all of the things they wanted when they split up. How else can we explain:

Banjo Kazooie: Published by Nintendo. Owned by Rare.
Perfect Dark: Published by Rare (actually a ruse). Owned and used by Rare.
Krystal: The original star of the Rare-created Dinosaur Planet, which played host to Fox McCloud. Owned and used by Nintendo.
Conker: Created for Diddy Kong Racing, a Nintendo-owned "Donkey Kong game". Owned and used by Rare.

That's why Rare still likes Nintendo. Because they were fair about the split. Although I figured Diddy Kong Racing would be history because of it, since Banjo and Conker became owned by Rare (although Nintendo "censoring" Conker for future releases would've been priceless).

But hey, if Nintendo can give Cpt. Falcon to Sega, and Fox and Krystal to Namco, then I shouldn't have been surprised that they'd lend Diddy to Rare, or that Rare might lend Banjo and Conker to Nintendo (for the DS only), or that Konami would lend Solid Snake to Nintendo so that a guy who quit working for Nintendo can make Smash Bros.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 06:08:33 AM »
When you look at all the work that goes into liscensing music, actor's likenesses, hiring them for voice acting, etc. in the world of movie games, messing around with a few videogame properties that they actually own is probably pretty simple for Nintendo and Microsoft, legally speaking.

TrueNerd: In my memory, Diddy Kong Racing had no boost at all, other than boost pads on the tracks...but I could be wrong, and that doesn't mean that there were no other ways to "cheat".  Still, I'm pretty sure there's no snaking.

I wonder if they'll implement an online mode?  I think DKR's strength was more in the single player game than multiplayer.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
actually nintendo could make a king kong game...king kong is public domain.

but yeah..this game is a must get
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »
The Perm: No it isn't. Public domain is before 1923. King Kong = 1933.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 01:31:58 PM »
King Kong being in the public domain was the reason Nintendo won the copyright infringement suit brought by Universal over Donkey Kong.  Any self-respecting Nintendo fan should know that.

j/k  I had to look it up.  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
King Kong wasn't supposed to be public domain, but while Universal was suing Nintendo over a Japanese person's poor grasp of the English language, Lincoln and Kirby did their homework and discovered that Universal had previously argued in court that King Kong was public domain, in order to get some sort of advantage in something or the other.

TrueNerd: Diddy Kong Racing has bananas laid out all over the course and picking them up adds to your top speed, and there are boost powerups, and stuff like that, so you need to decide which ones are worth going out of your way for. Assuming other characters don't beat you to them. IIRC.

There's no snaking. And there's no "rubber band" (which is where the computer players are allowed to defy the laws of physics and always hang on your butt, passing you if you make the slightest mistake, no matter how well you were driving beforehand). And the characters are fully polygonal, not made of five-frame sprites. DKR was much better than MK64, IMO.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 02:08:04 PM »
there was a book before the movie :P,

also if you failed to put a copyright on a movie print when released it would become public domain instantly. This requirement was removed when they enacted United States' Berne Convention Implementation Act and Copyright Term Extension Act later on. This is why Night of the Living Dead is public domain.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »
Anyone pick this up yet?  I've picked it up, brings back some good memories. Hardly anyone on wifi tho
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 04:44:38 AM »
Yeah, I noticed nobody was on wifi too.  My DS was looking for worldwide opponants for a few minutes before I gave up and went back to single player.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 11:18:09 AM »
Thats odd because didn't this game get solid sales, I think people are still in a rut playing the Mario Kart Dual Snaking.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.