Author Topic: NWR Monster Hunter Club  (Read 483091 times)

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Monster Hunter Club
« Reply #2400 on: July 30, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
Sword and Shield get's better when you get one with an element or status attached to it because it adds quite a bit of damage.  I like it because you can block and use other items while it is out.

I actually liked the hammer as a secondary wepon because it seemed easier to hit with than the great sword (a little bit faster) but still does a lot of damage and can stagger the monster.  The drawback is your quite vunerable.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2401 on: July 30, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
The Great sword is best used as a hit and run weapon. You keep your great sword sheathed till you are close to the monster then unsheathe on the monster then roll away then repeat and sheath your great sword. You will get alot more mobility out of it that way.

Here is a rundown of each weapon. Great sword mainly relies on Raw attack more then elemental. It can be a slow weapon if you have it out all the time but that is fixed somewhat using the tip above. It has a level 3 charge that is pretty powerful.Best used on a tripped monster or immobile monster.

Hammer I think has better mobility then the Greatsword. Like the great sword it prefers Raw damage over elemental.

Lance I feel is the best one to use in most hunts.Great underwater.  Depending on how you have your camera set up you either control your camera underwater by the way your hunter is positioned.  if you have your hunter looking to the sky then that's what you will be seeing. Moving your hunter around helps. The zr and zl buttons can either dive or ascend if you hold the button.When you let go of the button you will stop. Can help in some cases.
Lance works best as status or elemental weapon.
Sword and shield depends on elemental or status. It has the fastest mobility when out. Like apdude said you can use items when it is out.

Switch axe is interesting. It has two different modes. An axe mode and an sword mode. The axe mode you are pretty mobile and you this mode helps cutting tails that are high of the ground. The + button does an upswing that has good reach. The x button has an overhead chop which is slightly slower then the upswing but it is the strongest attack the axe mode switchaxe has. In this mode dry to avoid pressing the x button repeatedly.It does an weak stamina draining attack that can leave you vurnerable.Axe mode can be used by pressing the R button. There is also a way to switch between axe and sword mode between attacks. Sword mode is about as fast as when you have a great sword out and walking around. Its main attack combo is the overhead cut then under cut. While it may seem that it doesn't have much mobility you can roll then attack. Sword and shield can do this too. Switch axes have different phails to them. Some are elemental,some are power, some are paralisis and some are dragon. The dragon and paraylisis use the sword mode to use the respective element or status otherwise it is a normal raw damage weapon. The power and elemental phails can use the element either in sword or axe mode. You will mainly be rolling or sidestepping most attacks with the switchaxe. Side stepping is used just after you attack and you can press left or right and then the b button to sidestep. Can't block with the switchaxe in either mode.

Last one is the long sword. It can either go with elemental or raw damage since its stats are balanced. The main thing with the long sword is that is has a gauge that goes up a little when you go attack something. Once it is filled up you can press the R button repeatdly to use a spirt combo. If you completed the last hit on the monster your gauge will be white.That means you have a small attack boost. Do it again and then you will have a yellow gauge. A third time will result in a Red gauge and this gives you a big attack boost. However while in Red after maybe 2 minutes it goes back to normal and you have to full it up again. Offline you can probably keep it at Red if you can keep on hitting with the last hit of the spirit combo. Online it is best to keep it at yellow so you aren't dissrupting your teammates that much. The last attack can trip your teammates online. The Long sword can in Tri use side slashes and back slashes where you can attack and then your hunter will jump to the left or right or back. The jump is more then the sidestep for the switchaxe. The best way to fill the gauge when you start the quest is to fight small minion monsters till it fills up fully for the first time. Then you can go after the main monster. I tend to use the spirit combo when the monster is tripped by attacking the legs or it is paralized. The long sword has an element for each of the types and an para long sword. Para long sword works best versus all monsters but you lose a little damage if you are not using the correct elemental against the weapon. 

Uh sorry I guess that was a long read. Got a little carried away.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
Does this one have a Gunlance?  The Wiki's aren't very good about seperating the games sometimes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2403 on: July 30, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
This game doesn't have a gun lance but there is a Lance that looks like a gun. It is one of the event weapons online.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »
YEah, it seems in other versions their were lances that took ammunition like Gunbows and used those for their effects and other things.  Also Curse You Fireflies.  I've been harvesting bugs for an hour and haven't gotten the 1 more that I've needed to finish up the Goldstein quests for because I have 2 Goldstein bait and I need 3.  Plus those regular nets wear out quick.

I just figured out the Minus is charge for lances... I love this weapon.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:15:36 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2405 on: July 31, 2011, 08:39:17 AM »
Get Leather armor. It has a skill on it called spirit whim which makes pickaxes and bug nets last longer then usual. When you get the whim skill up to 15 then it changes to divine whim which is even better at keeping pickaxes and bugnets from breaking. It also has speed gathering and gathering +1 which makes you gather quicker and gather more from gathering spots then usual.Every armor has some kind of use for specific jobs.

Oh I forgot one other tip. Point at the screen with the wiiremote and hold B and then point at one of your skills and it will discribe what the skill does.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:44:01 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 31, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »
Get Leather armor. It has a skill on it called spirit whim which makes pickaxes and bug nets last longer then usual. When you get the whim skill up to 15 then it changes to divine whim which is even better at keeping pickaxes and bugnets from breaking. It also has speed gathering and gathering +1 which makes you gather quicker and gather more from gathering spots then usual.Every armor has some kind of use for specific jobs.

Oh I forgot one other tip. Point at the screen with the wiiremote and hold B and then point at one of your skills and it will discribe what the skill does.
I actually haven't upgraded from the initial Leather armor yet.  Haven't felt a need too.  Figure I save till I felt I was taking too much damage and then spring for an uber-upgrade at that point.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 31, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
Welp, I just pick up a Wii Speak for kicks.  I like to go online sometime today if anyone is available.  Don't want to do the first time w/ random people.

I'll be home in roughly 2 Hours.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:35:59 PM by Ceric »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2408 on: July 31, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »
I'm slightly busy today but I should be able to play for a little while.I have site chat at 3 pm PST today and I have someone coming over today as well. So I may be able to play a little while.  As for armors the most important thing is armor skills,defense, elemental resistances in that order.  A few good armor sets are these. Quropeco, Rathlos, Lagiacrus, and Ingot. Ingot can be a good for lancing. All you really need to do to get it is mine.

What was the last monster you hunted offline? What star quests are you on offline Ceric?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 31, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
I'll try to join today as well for a little while in about an hour.  What room do you usually use now Maxi?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2410 on: July 31, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
Greed 4,Gate 27,city 27 apdude.Getting on now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:27:16 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 31, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
Argggg I'm SciFeana but beyond that first message I can't seem to talk in chat.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2412 on: July 31, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
Hey Ceric come back into the city. I only said that since those two weren't leaving the city.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2413 on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
We have Ceric's Rank one urgent now. Barroth was cap ready but I dced and we had 2 deaths. Ceric is in the quest right now. If anybody wants to help come to Greed 4, Gate 27, city 27.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 31, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
Welp, That was fun.  Sort of lost on some of the online things.  Sorry I'm only Level 1.

I ended the night with a Peco armor set which I fully upgraded once and I've been most of the night 2 Monster Bone L's away from my next Lance.  Now I am 1 Monster Bone L away...

Nice running with everyone still trying to work the kinks out.  Oh we got the Urgent done.  I actually didn't die this time.  <.< >,>

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: August 01, 2011, 12:07:40 AM »
Wow you guys sure did play for a long time, that's nuts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2416 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:49 AM »
I was wondering why you had the bone lance but I checked just now and one of the final upgrades is the fire Lance.Are you going for that Ceric?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 01, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Go the Spiral Lance route, it'll be more useful for what you have coming up.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2418 on: August 01, 2011, 12:15:35 AM »
He can get both actually. The fire Lance will just take a little longer. You can actually make the spiral Lance by itself once you get the parts. No need to upgrade from previous weapons.It is an option from the weapon crafter.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: August 01, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
Well sure, but the parts for the fire lance come from a monster only available in an advance quest, so acquiring it would require a lot of patience and luck. Plus, it isn't as good as the fire lance from the event quest so it isn't worth getting, whereas the Spiral Lance is better than the water lance from the event.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2420 on: August 01, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
I guess it is a matter of perspective. The Event water Lance has higher element then the Royal Lundroth Lance but it has lower raw then the Royal Ludroth Lance so the event lance will not be breaking parts of the monster as quick as the Royal Ludroth Lance but anything weak to water will be hurning more from the Sharq lance.

The event fire Lance comes from a quest which can be hard to stay alive in. So getting the tickets can be kinda hard to get.The only real differerence between the Agna Lance and the event Lance is that the event Lance has higher attack then the Agna Lance. As far as element goes Agna Lance tops the event fire lance. I'm just giving Ceric some options so he can choose for himself.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: August 01, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
Welp, I just killed 2 Ludroth at the same time when they ran into my shield ><.

You guys are giving me WAY to much credit here.  I've got the Bone Lance because, I got the mats for it really early on and it was more powerful than the Iron one Upgraded.  I've been only 1-2 Monster Bone L away from crafting the Spiral Lance the whole time we were playing yesterday and I'll be making that one because it does more damage then the bone one and it has an Element. 

Same reason you might have notice my Bone Lance was Upgraded once was because I was tired of sharping the thing all the time and I had the mats.  Though in Single player I'm far away from a Monster that will give me the Bone I need I fear since I just got an Urgent Quest to kill 6 Ludroth (Which Ironically I've already done because I was like Hey whats that in 12)

Just tried the Single Player Great Jaggi hunt.  Yeah,  I didn't complete it.  I kept hitting him, my weapon go red, I need to run away and sharpen, rinse repeat, get mobbed by little guys.  Do you ever get a life bar?  I had him panting and limping and he just wouldn't die.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:02:39 AM by Ceric »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2422 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:59 AM »
Fair enough Ceric. My advice for playing offline until you get an elemental weapon is to try out the great sword that they gave you. It has more raw damage then the Lance. Just run up to Great Jaggi and do the sheath attack. Run up to it then tap the x button. If you are not comfortable with the great sword then the best advice is to use your lance. If you are down to red sharpness then leave the area where the monster is and sharpen and heal if needed.I usually heal when I get down to about half my health.I still have that habit from when I first started playing. There isn't a life bar but there is a skill called Capture Guru which tells you if the monster is capturable. Great Jaggi when weak will head back to its lair when it is ready for cap. It will also head there when it is exausted. It will eat bone there. Few tips for Lancing. The Lance charge doesn't do that much damage. It really should only be used to attack a monster that is limping away. The Shield advance can be used to close the gap between you and the monster more safely. It was that attack where you took a few steps forward and shield bashed at the end. The Lance charge can make traveling underwater quicker though.

If you are interested in trying out different weapons without having to make them. Try out the arena offline. You are given a weapon and armor set to use to fight certain monsters. You get coins from arena. To get the coins once you earned some you talk to the cat in your room and there is an option to get arena data or something like that. The arena weapons aren't that great but there is helms that you can get with coins which give you some a good skill with just the helm. Only downside to the is that the defense is set on the helm and can't be upgraded. 

Any questions you have so far Ceric?

Oh also I probably won't be able to play today since I am swapping out routers. I've never had problems with dc's this much before.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:38:51 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
That made for some odd hunts.

'We have all the Corral, Yay!'
'Maxi where are you Maxi?'
10-20 minutes later
'I have all the Corral, Yay!'

Everyone say's that Monster Bone L can come from Barroth but, the list of stuff doesn't really say that.  Is it Capture or Carve...
I'm sort of confused on the Weapon Progression in a way.  I feel like I need a stronger set of weapons now that I'm lvl 2 in Offline but, I'm no where near the creatures to get them.  Its a weird feeling.

I'll try the Great Sword today.

Just in general I have raid nights Monday, Thursday, and  Saturday so I won't  be able to hunt those really.

I tried to use the charge as a gap closer or a get away and that's about it.  Its a little unwieldy.  I'll try to use the Shield bash more.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 01, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
Just tried the Single Player Great Jaggi hunt.  Yeah,  I didn't complete it.  I kept hitting him, my weapon go red, I need to run away and sharpen, rinse repeat, get mobbed by little guys.  Do you ever get a life bar?  I had him panting and limping and he just wouldn't die.

I think I got the Pico Hammer to do most of the early offline stuff since it added a nice fire elemental aspect to the wepon which a lot of monsters are weak to plus it's pretty easy to get if I remember correctly.