Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168103 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread (updated 10/29/2007)
« Reply #875 on: October 30, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »
It's friggin GAMECUBE hardware. Third parties can't figure out how to use 5-year old architecture?!?!?!?!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2007, 01:17:55 AM »
They're having trouble getting through the duct tape so they can combine the power of the two GameCubes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
RE:The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread (updated 10/29/2007)
« Reply #877 on: October 31, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »

Portal on Wii

1. Portal, as it is by itself, is not going to show up anywhere unless it's packaged with other Source engine games.  What a lot of people may not realize is that Portal is nothing more than a Half-Life 2 mod.  Where Portal goes, therefore, Half-Life 2 must follow.  I would much rather hear about an expansion and/or downloadable content to expand the current Portal on PC and 360 before anything else, honestly.

2. Since the Wii is (or will soon be) in the dominating position, any game that does well on any platform, the PC especially, will start needing to address rumors of that game moving to the Wii.  There's so much money and exposure in the prospect that it just needs to be asked.  Portal may be one of these games where it makes sense on paper to do it, so the rumor gets started.  When they asked Valve about it, of course it's going to say the option is there.  Even if it may not be technically possible with the current game, there's nothing stopping a special Wii version in the future.  But right now, it's got other things to worry about than making more console games.

Originally posted by: Kairon
It's friggin GAMECUBE hardware. Third parties can't figure out how to use 5-year old architecture?!?!?!?!

No, because third parties didn't learn how to use GameCube hardware in the first place.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 31, 2007, 12:58:49 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

Originally posted by: Kairon

No, because third parties didn't learn how to use GameCube hardware in the first place.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 31, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »

Exactly, remember the old "Max Payne can't run on Gamecube because it only has 24MB of RAM excuse?"  This statement was made DESPITE the fact that Max Payne was at one time going to be made for the Dreamcast and it's 16MB OF RAM and overall lesser tech!  Eidos never figured out the system either, all their ports ended up worse than the PS2 releases, typically released 6 months to a year afterwards.  Hell, they STILL haven't figured it out, look at Tomb Raider Anniversary  Looks no better than PS2 and I'm willing to bet they'll find a way to make it run worse despite the hardware running circles around it.  The only part of EA in the know is the Canada division, we all know the rest of them are in limbo (Need For Speed Carbon's framerates, MOH Vanguard sucking)  Even then, they're obviously being spread too thin for one group for the only game they got coming soon that looks to have any sort of promise is MOH2.  Spiderman 3 looks better on PS2 than on Wii (Wii ended up with point sampled textures with no filtering in parts).  Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO on the GC looked worse than both the DC and PS2 editons of the game.  Sprites were WAY off in color, where the grays were shades of green and the whites had a slight red hue to them, graphical effects straight from PS2 instead of the superior DC version, and even MORE slowdown than in the DC original.  You see the numbers and hardware specs, yet (and this goes double for the Wii) 2 plus 2 ain't equaling 4.

Now last gen I recall Harmonix being one of the only developers on the GC that actually figured out that the system had more RAM other than the main 24 and that it ALSO could be used in game to bring the total RAM count to 40MB.  They claimed the only reason that the other Karaoke Revolutions didn't make it to the GC was because of this issue.  Granted, you did have the disc space concern, but even then you had compression techniques that were around long enough for at least the second game to have been ported.  Barring disc space, there's NO WAY in the world that they couldn't have known about the total RAM and how it could be used for that long though.  People all over the internet knew this info and I'm quite sure the tech documents for the GC had this information.  The kicker is that they figured this out on their FIRST and ONLY GC game (which came out great BTW) while other developers either knew but didn't care for various reasons or threw their second or third string teams on their late ports which botched them up royally. (Ubisoft did this with ALL of the Splinter Cells on anything other than X-Box and PC, they did the same with the Wii game.) This actually brings me to another point...

... what I've realized is that if a company wants something to happen and happen extremely well on a certain platform, you better believe they're gonna find a way to make it work irregardless of the so-called "technical hurdles" in front of them.  Max Payne and Unreal Tournament on DC is one example.  Tales of Symphonia and Viewtiful Joe on PS2 is another.  Games like RE4 and Splinter Cell (in 3D) on cellphones is a third.  Some publications have actually wondered how the Wii will handle Monster Hunter's graphics considering that according to them the PS2 games were graphically intensive, which IMO has got to be some serious joke.  There's no way Capcom is gonna be stupid enough to do only PS2 level visuals on the system especially when you consider that it will be exclusive to the platform. (and if somehow they screw it up, then they're way dumber than a box of rocks)  

Two more games I can add to that previous list is Call of Duty 4 and Assasins Creed for the DS.  Why DS and not Wii, and don't even try giving me the tech or userbase excuse.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 31, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »

... what I've realized is that if a company wants something to happen and happen extremely well on a certain platform, you better believe they're gonna find a way to make it work irregardless of the so-called "technical hurdles" in front of them.

Very true...

3rd parties flat-out chose not to support Nintendo hardware. Technical limitations are excuses and poor ones at that. Take a game like FFXII on PS2.... imagine what that team could do with Wii.

Also, don't insult the box of rocks.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 07, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
Not sure how legit this rumor is, but thats what makes a rumor a rumor now isn't it...?

in summarry Ancel is making BG&E2 [Beyond Good & Evil 2...for Wii(?)]

"at first, RRR was going to be your usual rayman platform game, but with wii controls. or atleast that's what ancel wanted to make. but it became clear early on that this wasnt going to be possible.  
so, so other designer stepped up and came up up with the mini/party game idea using the rabbids character that ancel had came up with himself. higher-ups were pleased and the project was given a greenlight. ancel was FURIOUS. he threatened to leave ubisoft if he didnt get what he wanted. afraid to lose their ONE big famous designer (altho i guess clint kind of fits that mold now), ubisoft caved in and pretty much gave ancel a carte blanche to do whatever he wished next. so he made beyond good and evil too. and thats why ancel isnt credited as a designer on RR but rather just as a character designer."

source
follow the link in the link for more details  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #882 on: November 07, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »
WII 3RD PARTY SUPPORT IS NOTHING BUT AN ILLUSION
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 07, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
Rumor has it Super Mario Galaxy is canceled.

How legit is this Surfer Girl anyhow? And has FalafelKid said anything lately?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 07, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
No big scoops from Falafelkid recently, as he's just switched jobs and is moving. Well, actually, he claimed that Spore had an internal EA release date of may 2008, though I bet that could easily change as conditions change as well.

I'll be sure to ask him his opinion on Surfer Girl sometime... though I personally am highly skeptical of all the reports coming from that source.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 07, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
Well supposedly alot of the things coming from Surfer girl have come true, but alot of them were also pretty predictable.

here is alot more from Sufer Girl, all the things that most likely relate to Nintendo in some way or another

2) IO-Interactive's next Hitman game, tentatively slated for release next summer, is coming to the Wii.
4) Even though the forthcoming Prince of Persia 4 will probably not be coming to the Wii, the system will receive an "alternate title" in the Prince of Persia franchise,
8) Neither of n-Space's two Wii titles stars a ghost. However, they are even more ambitious than that ghost game and far better. One features a temple level that looks like it was swiped out of Red Steel and the other more ambitious title features an alien reptilian creature who bares quite a resemblance to Ganondorf. I'd be surprised if either sees release before March 2009.
10) After great success Athens 2004, Eurocom is developing sequel 2008 Beijing Olympics for Sega.
11) That non-Metroid game Retro Studios is working on is a new IP that is not an FPS.
12) Zoonami has a few titles that will be available through WiiWare next year.
13) Q Entertainment is working on WiiWare title or two for release for next year.
14) Space Michael won't be in Space Channel 5 Part 3.
15) ChuChu Rocket! comeback for DS and/or Wii.
16) EA's next-gen snowboarding title that may or may not have SSX in the title is coming next fall, at the same time frame as "the best snowboarding game ever" (or so I'm told numerous times) Shaun White Snowboarding (which is also shredding next-gen systems).
17) Red Steel 2 not before May, with multiplayer and co-op.
18) LEGO Indiana Jones is coming out after or at the same time as Indiana Jones (working title).
19) Yet another Super Monkey Ball game is in the works.
20) Fight Night 2008 is coming to the Wii.
21) Fuse Games + that pink round guy that floats = their next DS title.
22) Super Punch-Out! is coming to Virtual Console next year.
23) Monster Games is developing another game for Nintendo, that is not an Excite Truck sequel.
24) Wii Motor Sports Airplane is a WiiWare title.
25) Mario Superstar Baseball Wii is sliding to home base in the summer.
----------------------------
1) Nintendo's new handheld will see release in late 2009.
Although someone emailed me today saying "dudes i gotta a hot scoops on the new nintendo handheld system, it comes out 10/10/2010 and does not have a screen and is codenamed revolution." I'm glad I can get such hot scoops.
2) Something from J.J. Abrams that is not Lost is getting the game treatment.
I'm crossing my fingers for the Felicity MMORPG.
3) Ubisoft Montpelier is working on Beyond Good & Evil 2, Frédérick Raynal's new game (creepy), and an MMO. One of those will see release next year and the other two in 2009.
4) That Red Steel 2 features online play.
----------------------------------------
1) EA is not working on a console nor is there any plans for such a thing to happen, EA is purely a software company.
2) Lost: The Game is as good, original, and inspired as the Alias game. Super interactive success for Jeffrey Abrams yet again.
3) Rumored new Zelda title for Wii? It's happening. Multiple titles. But the new big, epic Zelda for Wii is probably about two years away.
4) Nintendo is working on 30+ WiiWare titles, including some based off franchises such as Zelda (two games) and Mario.
7) I heard something back in March or April about a Shenmue title for Wii, but I have not heard anything since about it and doubt that there is any truth to that. Despite announcements to the contrary, I've heard from quite a few people that Shenmue III has never actually entered production. To my knowledge, Shenmue Online is the only Shenmue title currently in development.

2) WiiWare titles based on DK [and] Metroid are in the works.
-------------------------------------
3) Three Wario games are in development.
4) Itadaki Street DS will see a release in the states sometime next year.

Now we can see how much of that actually come true.
All of these have been posted by Surfer Girl since Nov. 1st.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 07, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »
I don't want to quote that because it's way too big, but a lot of interesting pieces there, although a few are completely obvious (Red Steel 2 will have online play? Who could have predicted that?). And I'd say the heavy favorite for J.J. Abrams' non-Lost property game is something based on Star Trek XI.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 08, 2007, 05:47:04 AM »
The best looking game I've seen for the Wii is Dewy.  Especially the end of the Volcano area where you fight the clone of Mothra bad guy.  Better then most everything I've played on my PS3.

Though I have to say that somewhere else there was the actual money that Nintendo made from a third party sell compared to there own and it was vastly less.  Personally if I was Nintendo I have a program where people could buy my tools or developers time.

(In response to earlier discussion on the last page.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 09, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
Well, my buddy was right, Bionic Commando was coming, but he got the console wrong.  But he insists Timesplitters 4 is going to the Wii.  He says it's a fact.  And as far as he knows, it's exclusive.  I hope to hell he gets more than just the game right with this one.

He also let slip that an old EA property from the 90's is being resurrected for the Wii, but he can't tell me the name yet.  He did tell me it's not a sports game, so take that for what it's worth.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 09, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »
It's about time Shaq Fu came back!

Ahem.  After a quick look at a list of EA games, it looks like the best things to bring back from the 90s would be Dungeon Keeper, Desert Strike, and, if we include later acquisitions, Wing Commander.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 09, 2007, 10:31:44 AM »
"Nintendo is working on 30+ WiiWare titles, including some based off franchises such as Zelda (two games) and Mario."

Nintendo is going to use WiiWare to milk their franchise?  Wow, what a scoop!

Who isn't assuming this will happen?  The spinoff train has already left for Zelda and Metroid so nothing's safe anymore.  Nintendo will spinoff every IP they own if think it will make money.

"Even though the forthcoming Prince of Persia 4 will probably not be coming to the Wii, the system will receive an 'alternate title' in the Prince of Persia franchise,"

Another easy guess.  This is just the norm for the Wii.

"That non-Metroid game Retro Studios is working on is a new IP that is not an FPS."

I want to see them make an FPS but I'm still excited to hear rumours at least that it's a new IP.  I want to see what Retro is truly capable of and Nintendo feeding them another IP would prevent that.  Can they make a great game from scratch with no existing template to work off of?  I think they can and I'm excited to see the results.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 09, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »
Over at my website that nobody visits, we discussed what console you would like to see a new Wing Commander game on.  I voted for the Wii 'cause I was imagining the different ways the two controllers could act like a flight stick and/or thruster control.  Don't really know how that would work in real life, though.  Or how practical it would be to hold the Wii remote upwards all the time, or hold the Nunchuck in position.

Come play with my Twitter.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 09, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
Well, my buddy was right, Bionic Commando was coming, but he got the console wrong.  But he insists Timesplitters 4 is going to the Wii.  He says it's a fact.  And as far as he knows, it's exclusive.  I hope to hell he gets more than just the game right with this one.

He also let slip that an old EA property from the 90's is being resurrected for the Wii, but he can't tell me the name yet.  He did tell me it's not a sports game, so take that for what it's worth.

I don't care if it's exclusive, though it would be nice, but TimeSplitters 4 coming to the Wii would be a dream come true. Really, it makes sense to make it a Wii exclusive; as other developers have noted the PS3 is hard and expensive to develop for and it seems like every third game on the 360 is a first person shooter. If they made it for the Wii they'd have virtually no competition (Medal of Honor Heroes 2 looks good, but not anywhere near TimeSplitters good) and the control scheme that nearly everyone who's tried says is great for the genre.

Originally posted by: Maverick
Over at my website that nobody visits, we discussed what console you would like to see a new Wing Commander game on.  I voted for the Wii 'cause I was imagining the different ways the two controllers could act like a flight stick and/or thruster control.  Don't really know how that would work in real life, though.  Or how practical it would be to hold the Wii remote upwards all the time, or hold the Nunchuck in position.

The game Heatseeker allowed you in one control scheme to use the nunchuk as a flight stick and it worked really well. The game was pretty average but those controls made it fun

J.P. Corbran

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:54 AM »
The NUNCHUCK as a flight stick?  That wouldn't seem natural to me, I would want to use the Wii-mote, as I don't think I'd do very well with my left hand.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
"If they made it for the Wii they'd have virtually no competition"

This comes up all the time on this forum and to me it sounds like a brilliant business strategy.  Tecmo even proved it on the Xbox.  As one of the lone Japanese devs creating exclusives for a largely American focused console they stood out.  DOA was regarded as a major fighting game franchise while on the Saturn, Dreamcast or PS2 it was overshadowed by competition from Sega and Namco.

And yet we so rarely see this in action.  Fighting games, RPGs, first person shooters all tend to cluster on one console.  I guess the publishers think that if the genre is popular on a certain console then that's where the market is.  But that only pays off if your game is very exceptional.  Typically only a few titles become the really big hits on the "saturated" console and the rare time that genre appears on a "starving" console it stands out and gets extra attention even if it's kind of mediocre.  Hell look at something like Quest 64 which I still encounter some people praise merely because it was the first RPG on the N64.

So there's a good reason to make Timesplitters 4 for the Wii but sadly history doesn't match that logic.  The Xbox 360 will probably get it and no one will care.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 09, 2007, 11:48:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
The NUNCHUCK as a flight stick?  That wouldn't seem natural to me, I would want to use the Wii-mote, as I don't think I'd do very well with my left hand.

That's why you hold the nunchuk in your right hand when it's used that way. I haven't seen any games that do this, but with the Wii controller the way it is a game could easily instruct the player to put the nunchuk in their dominant hand. The remote's shape doesn't lend itself to being used as a flight stick, but the nunchuk does. And since you're just using the tilt functionality the nunchuk's usual inferiority to the remote goes away.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"If they made it for the Wii they'd have virtually no competition"

This comes up all the time on this forum and to me it sounds like a brilliant business strategy.  Tecmo even proved it on the Xbox.  As one of the lone Japanese devs creating exclusives for a largely American focused console they stood out.  DOA was regarded as a major fighting game franchise while on the Saturn, Dreamcast or PS2 it was overshadowed by competition from Sega and Namco.

And yet we so rarely see this in action.  Fighting games, RPGs, first person shooters all tend to cluster on one console.  I guess the publishers think that if the genre is popular on a certain console then that's where the market is.  But that only pays off if your game is very exceptional.  Typically only a few titles become the really big hits on the "saturated" console and the rare time that genre appears on a "starving" console it stands out and gets extra attention even if it's kind of mediocre.  Hell look at something like Quest 64 which I still encounter some people praise merely because it was the first RPG on the N64.

So there's a good reason to make Timesplitters 4 for the Wii but sadly history doesn't match that logic.  The Xbox 360 will probably get it and no one will care.

Well Free Radical had a poll on their site (a couple months ago, I think) asking fans which console the game should be on, and the Wii won by a wide margin. RE4 selling more than a million should convince them that the audience is there. And if I'm not mistaken, the reason they moved from their previous publisher to EA was because they insisted on making a version of TimeSplitters 3 (Future Perfect) for the Cube and their old one didn't want them to do that, so they seem to have some love for Nintendo. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, but I think this one has a real possibility of happening.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 09, 2007, 11:50:56 AM »
::prays::

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 09, 2007, 02:33:26 PM »
1up has a rumor that THQ will be re-releasing WWF(WWE) No Mercy via WiiWare, with updated rosters. If this is true, then that's incredible. That will please just about every wrestling game fan in existence.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 10, 2007, 03:51:09 PM »
even more from Surfer Girl...

2) An Animal Crossing MMO would not see release outside of Japan, NoA and NoE are obstinate in only wanting limited online functionality in the title.
3) F-Zero is coming to Wii and possibly, but probably not, being developed by Monster Games (according to someone with a rather legimate email address).
4) A new Skies of Arcadia for the Wii seems to be a yes.
5) No Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion's 2, Excitebike (it's called Nitrobike) or 1080 for Wii. Punch-Out for Wii, if it has gone beyond the prototype that was made last year, is a remake of the original NES title.
6) KHIII, if it is coming out. is definitely coming to the Wii, they need the game's demographics (which lean a bit younger than your average SquareEnix fanboy) to purchase the title.
10) No Wario World sequel.
12) Nintendo is most likely co-publishing Itadaki Street DS here stateside and the game is almost certainly to get a new name (and I have been told it was Nintendo's idea to release the game outside of Japan). If the game does well, Itadaki Street PSP may be released stateside. It's a Wonderful World is coming stateside next year as well.
14) Capcom character could happen in SSBB (I'd say Mega Man, who has his own Wii-exclusive coming next year), but a Square character seems highly unlikely.
15) Ghostbusters game is coming 2009, likely not being developed by ZootFly, and is coming to PS360 and possibly Wii.
18) BG&E2 is coming is PS360Wii.
19) Activision has a title that supports the Wii Zapper coming in the near future.
20) Factor 5 would like to develop for Wii, but there are not any concrete plans for a title.
---------------------------------
Now I speak in riddles. Solutions come Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

I) Chinese mythology plus steampunk equals sequel from Albertan cubicles.
II) Man, this quest seems to be everlasting, now we are on this third station of play.
III) Deity straight from Timonium loves we.
IV) The one who drives at night, the one who drops explosives in deep valleys in between cliffs, and the defensive structure made from quartz are alive again for this new mode of transport.
V) Before a year hence, sowing knees shall to respond what we wear and the exes and ayes.

Now to decipher some riddles... I think.

I is most likely not Nintendo related
II is Everquest 3 for PS3
III is some "God" game for Wii
IV = ?
V is something about Sony responding to Wii Ware and Xbox Live?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #899 on: November 10, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
I these surfergirl rumors are suspicious. First of all, a Square character in Brawl highly unlikely?? Sakurai has at least thought of three (Geno, Mallow and Sora) and Square is NOT the type of company to let go of an opportunity like that. Second, the KH Wii rumors have been going around ever since the console was fully unveiled back in May 2006. Third, Animal Crossing Japan online? Bitch please..

I'm sorry but I think this girl/guy is just making up random rumors to see if she/he can spark debates.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer