Author Topic: Steam versus GOG?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Steam versus GOG?
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »
I have a couple questions but also am looking for any discussion. Is there a lot of overlap of games available for GOG.com and Steam? Does it make sense to buy games on one over the other? Are there games that are truly exclusive to either service, I don't mean like no other versions like consoles but I mean games that can only be downloaded, legally, via one or the other? If a person buys a game on one can they redeem it or add it to their collection for the other one?

Do you have games on either? How do you keep track of your digital purchases? Also, Origin I guess.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Steam versus GOG?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
Fairly certain Steam has ways to add GOG-bought titles to Steam collections somehow. Haven't tried that myself though. I have a couple of games through Steam, and a few through GOG.

Personally I prefer the latter since they can be launched without needing to run Steam as well. The Steam launcher always complains about SOMEthing. It needs to update. It needs me to log in. It wants to be connected to the Internet, oh but it's totally possible to launch in offline mode! Still need that password though which I always forget. Better reset it first!

Through GOG you just download executable files it looks like, so a bit less hassle. The store is organised better, too, it seems. Steam launches this entirely separate browser first which is slow and I just kinda dislike the layout.

Steam has some positives too, I'm sure, but it feels like those are more aimed at 'power users' who game a lot on PC. If you launch it just twice a year, like me, and don't use it to connect with friends, it's just a minor hindrance. The rare times I play PC games it'll be Rollercoaster Tycoon from GOG rather than Civ from Steam, because it's slightly more immediate for me (since I rarely use steam, there's always some update it needs first). Reading the Steam forums has helped me solve an in-game puzzle once or twice, that's nice I guess.

EDIT: Oh maybe Steam also has cloud saving options? Again, stuff that seems convenient for power users. If you're super casual about PC games like me though, that's not really interesting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:48:39 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:14:09 AM »
I try to buy games on and use GOG over Steam wherever possible because Valve's dominance of PC gaming is becoming an impediment to the whole industry, publishers, developers, gamers etc.

Steam has a larger library (I'm not sure, but I'd guess the entire GOG library is available on Steam and only a fraction is on GOG) and more features but their launcher is slower and their service bogged down by too much bullshit compared to GOG.

I wont to hone in on this question you asked though.
If a person buys a game on one can they redeem it or add it to their collection for the other one?
Every now and then GOG has these amnesties where they've made arrangements with the various publishers to add certain games you have on your Steam library to your GOG library. Steam does not do this but you can add non-steam games to the Steam launcher which, usually, but not always, retains access to Steam's overlay so you can chat to your steam buddies while playing Minecraft, Fortnite or whatever non Steam game it is you're playing. I've never done this though because it's usually more of a hassle than it'sw orth and Steam's launcher is too bloated.

Also, Origin I guess.
Garbage, but I needed it to play Mass Effect 3. Sometimes they do free games and if you're really into EA's stuff the Origin Pass or whatever subscription is really good value. But Origin is the worst PC game launcher I've ever seen.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the insights people.

If it wasn't for the Sims I wouldn't even have Origin. I don't care about chat I don't play online ever but I was just curious if it was possible to have one library so I don't have to constantly open and close different clients to play games. I agree Steam is annoying when it launches a game. I wish I could just load a Steam game without the launcher.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »
The question is pretty silly. While GOG does sell modern games it's niche has always been old games as they were originally, some modern games without DRM and The Witcher because it's CD-Project Red.

The services are complementary of each other as is Humble. If you want old games GOG is where it is at as some games have several different versions over it's original lifetime each with different side grades like the Lucas Arts X-Wing games were each has different music, cutscene and video rendering features while others offers only one.

Humble is where you get games if you want them en-mass in a bundle, looking for gaming tangent material and sales while supporting charity. It is underpinned by Steam but for most games you can download DRM-free version when possible.

Steam is your one stop shop and for years run without issue. When I came out on OSX there were some nasty issues but they got worked out overtime. While they can have TOS issues outside of America they do get taking to task so it isn't a concern.

Steam is how you reduce piracy to it's maximum. There will always be pirates and companies will always have a cry but the sheer convenience of getting games in generally reasonable and sometimes at a steal prices in 100% safe portal means for me when I do pirate something I am doing it to demo the game then wait for a steam sale.

While Steam is DRM in itself a large number games on Steam can be launched directly without Steam being active as the exe isn't using it. Mod workshop support is amazingly good and there is nothing out there that can match it.

Origin/Ubisoft is a dumpster fire/tolerable mess respectively. I swore off EA games for at least a decade ago and has had no impact. Ubi has issues but when it comes down the launching the game it gets there. If you want to see something outright broken comedy see Games for Windows Live or the Current Microsoft Store.

The question is flawed as there is no verses here. This isn't PS4 Vs Xbone where comparisons can be easily made apples to apples with one clearly superior(PS4) in virtually everyway important with little tradeoff.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:13:57 AM »
I'll respectfully disagree here Oohhboy.
First, David versus Goliath was not a fair comparison and yet there is that.
Second, maybe I prefer retro games and I wanted to know if Steam was as viable alternative to GOG or if as a retro gamer I should split my purchases? You can compare things that aren't equals.

I was more curious what were the differences between the two. My biggest issue is, well I don't want to have to set up an account with GOG.com just to be able to buy the exact sames games I can already purchase through Steam. I wasn't worried about the launchers, I just, I am, I need my digital library to be united. I force all of my Amazon and Spotify downloads to work with iTunes. I do this because I can't have different accounts spreading all my digital goods around. It gives me heartburn.

You did, however with more snark than I care for, answer my question so thank you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 03:45:28 AM »
Isn't David versus Goliath. The 3 services co-exist and they don't eat each other *insert fish ecology*. You just have to suck it up and get a GOG account if you want old games in the best possible state. Also get a password manager of some sort as it is pretty mandatory these days.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:33:59 PM »
You like to argue just for the sake of it don't you. :P: I already have all three accounts. I was just curious if the games on one are on the others. You did good job explaining them. Thanks