Author Topic: First Goldeneye: Rogue Agent Details  (Read 6584 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
First Goldeneye: Rogue Agent Details
« on: May 05, 2004, 05:38:53 AM »
Being evil is all the rage!

Villains to Rule in EA's GoldenEye: Rogue Agent Videogame

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 5, 2004--Why save the world when you can rule it? Going where no previous James Bond(TM) game has dared to tread, the upcoming GoldenEye: Rogue Agent(TM) first-person shooter from Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS) breaks all the rules by transporting players to the dark side of the Bond universe to experience life as a high-rolling, cold-hearted villain. The highly anticipated game is scheduled to ship this fall on the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox(R) video game system from Microsoft, and the Nintendo GameCube(TM) under the EA GAMES(TM) brand.

As an aspiring 00 agent dismissed from MI6 for reckless brutality, the player is hired as an enforcer by Auric Goldfinger, the wealthy super-villain with a lust for all things gold. Goldfinger is locked in a ruthless war against his archenemy, the brilliant scientist Dr. No. The prize is control of the world's greatest criminal organization. A brutal encounter with Dr. No costs the player an eye, but Goldfinger's technicians replace it with a gold-hued, synthetic eye, earning the player the name 'GoldenEye'. Players have the ability to customize and upgrade their villain persona and wreak havoc as they make their unrelenting rise through the ranks.

With a radical twist to the Bond franchise that makes the player's goal to rule the world rather than save it, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is the ultimate thrill ride through the 007 underworld. Players will cross paths with such legendary allies and enemies as Oddjob, Scaramanga, Xenia Onatopp, and, of course, Pussy Galore on globe-spanning missions of vengeance and demolition. Players will travel to famous and original Bond locations from the mountains of Switzerland to the streets of Hong Kong and from Fort Knox to Dr. No's Crab Key lair in the Caribbean. Enemies will react intelligently in combat situations and use the environment to their advantage for intense and unpredictable shootouts.

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent seamlessly integrates single-player, multiplayer split-screen, and online gameplay for the PlayStation 2 console(a) across all game modes. Featured modes include story-driven campaign missions, deathmatch style simulator trials, and objective-based war games. Officially licensed by MGM Interactive, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is being developed by EA's Los Angeles studio. This game has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

(a) PlayStation 2 online play requires Internet connection, Network Adaptor and Memory Card for the PlayStation 2.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Segnit BGS

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: First Goldeneye: Rogue Agent Details
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 05:49:26 AM »
Did i miss something here?
I'm sorry, i really must have missed something here...
I'll go back to my Golden-bed and and rest my Golden-head on my Golden-pillow and, and.... rest Goldenly.

EA... no thank you.

Edit: Correcting typo's.
Name: Silent Hill
Favourite Song: Track (Turok 2)
Wish: PD2, GT4, MGS 3, JFG 2, F1 WGP 3 .
Updated Wish: Halo 2, The Twin

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:First Goldeneye: Rogue Agent Details
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 05:54:53 AM »
Kind of weird how "GoldenEye" goes from being an EMP-equipped satellite to being...the name of a guy and his literally golden eye.

Which is pretty stupid, in my opinion.  It's like they're selling it with the GoldenEye name solely to catch the attention of those who loved the movie (the best James Bond movie, IMO) and of course, the classic N64 game.

Since James Bond was the name of a bird watcher or something, that'd be like selling a bird-watching game with the James Bond name.  Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but still...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 06:20:12 AM »
"Goldfinger is locked in a ruthless war against his archenemy, the brilliant scientist Dr. No"

Say what?

"A brutal encounter with Dr. No costs the player an eye, but Goldfinger's technicians replace it with a gold-hued, synthetic eye, earning the player the name 'GoldenEye'"

Come on EA, at least admit that you are calling the game "Goldeneye" to get morons who think of Goldeneye 64 to buy your crap...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 06:31:43 AM »
Nice concept, EA flipping everything around the other way - The manner in which they're doing it is odd and, as half the universe will say , leeching off the Goldeneye name.

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 06:32:56 AM »
that is flat out retarded . . . no offense to the mentally challenged

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 07:00:50 AM »
They had my interest until I learned that you wouldn't be playing as Trevelyn and instead they've contrived a way to reuse the name Goldeneye purely for marketing purposes.  EA and their rampant franchising makes me sick.

Of course, on the off chance that the game is released and turns out to be excellent, I'm more than willing to play it.  Let's just say that I have my doubts this will be anything more than another mediocre, or maybe "almost great/good" bond game.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 07:03:16 AM »
"It's like they're selling it with the GoldenEye name solely to catch the attention of those who loved the movie (the best James Bond movie, IMO) and of course, the classic N64 game."

It's not "like" they're doing that they ARE doing that.  This game probably was called Rogue Agent for the initial stages of development until some suit decided that they could sell more copies if they slapped the Goldeneye name on it.  This game is a f*cking con.  I hope it pisses off the Bond fanbase and completely kills the popularity of the franchise.  Damn EA for ruining the name of a classic.  Why does anyone support these boardroom corporate hacks?

I propose a boycott.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 07:32:48 AM »
I'll join that boycott.  The sad thing is, EA's biggest market is casual gamers and they won't realize this game is a rip-off until it's too late.  I wonder if they'll even figure it out then?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 09:33:11 AM »
Considering EON was said to be pretty good, they might be able to make this a good game as well. But then, it's EA...

Offline SPhil64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 09:40:30 AM »
Haha, that's awesome that you literally have a golden eye.  That's nice.  And despite everybody whining how it has nothing to do with the original Goldeneye, how do you know?  Maybe throughout the course of the game you somehow acquire one of the Goldeneye satellites.  And maybe you somehow control it with your golden eye.  I'm going to wait and see before I pass any judgement on the game because it's still far too early for that.  
Maybe throughout the course of the game you somehow acquire one of the Goldeneye satellites. And maybe you somehow control it with your golden eye. -me

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 10:03:05 AM »

Maybe throughout the course of the game you somehow acquire one of the Goldeneye satellites. And maybe you somehow control it with your golden eye.
hahaha.  awesome.  if i didn't like my current signature so much i would definitely use this quote.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 10:12:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I propose a boycott.

*brings out picket signs*

"And despite everybody whining how it has nothing to do with the original Goldeneye, how do you know?"

The point is that EA will never reach the quality of the original game, so the name is just there for more sales (and to tarnish the name of Goldeneye 64)...  

Offline fiveironalex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 10:31:50 AM »
Wow.  Lame.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Wii number: 7667 7856 9911 8753

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 12:42:33 PM »

Originally posted by: SPhil64
And despite everybody whining how it has nothing to do with the original Goldeneye, how do you know?

I'm not passing judgement on the game itself, it could be an excellent game.  If it is, I *might* consider buying it.  My problem is that EA is blatantly using the Goldeneye name to try to sell a game that has nothing to do with the movie or the N64 title, it's pathetic.  As for not knowing whether or not it uses the real Goldeneye...then why would EA waste it's time going through the whole lame explanation about the eye?   If the game actually anything to do with the real Goldeneye property, I'll kick myself in the nuts.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 01:36:07 PM »
Come on, this game has to be crap if EA is trying a stunt like this to try and sell it. I enjoyed Everything or Nothing, but won't buy  or even play this, even if it is going to be the best game since ET. The story is just screwing too much with the Bond-universe.

Also I don't understand how this game would work. The last boss in this game would have to be James Bond or Dr. No, so you would finish the game if you killed one of them. But that screws even more with the storyline of the franchise.

Nintendo have created a fund to take over other companies, I suggest they take over EA in order to stop them from doing this kind of thing again.
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 01:37:25 PM »
To me it seems like a good idea if you can ignore the EA scam fest.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 01:51:44 PM »
Ahaha!  Take a look at the size difference in the logo... *shakes head*

Offline LousySpy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 02:02:07 PM »
"The last boss in this game would have to be James Bond or Dr. No, so you would finish the game if you killed one of them. But that screws even more with the storyline of the franchise. "

Or perhaps in the end, the player ends up being killed?  I admit it'd suck hard to try to survive through the game just to end up dying anyway, but it wouldn't screw with the story.  And who knows how much crap they're willing to pull with this game.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 02:39:49 PM »
They've got a video interview with the developer up on Gamespot.  I don't have sound here at work so I don't know the details but the shots of the game look pretty nice.  But then EA has never had a problem with graphics.  Plus technically the other EA Bonds weren't bad they just weren't as good as Goldeneye.  This so far looks like a generic console FPS which is what I expected.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 03:02:27 PM »

Originally posted by: LousySpy

Or perhaps in the end, the player ends up being killed?  I admit it'd suck hard to try to survive through the game just to end up dying anyway, but it wouldn't screw with the story.  And who knows how much crap they're willing to pull with this game.

Oh, kind of like every MK4 and 5 ending ever

Offline ulix

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2004, 04:28:18 PM »
I don't think that it was EA who came up with the plot... instead I think it was MGM. And if it wasn't, MGM wouldn't let EA screw up the Bond-Universe, so I expect some nice plot.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2004, 08:00:10 PM »
Say NO to Brand Name Necrophelia!

Ugh...
"Get yer stinkin hand off me ya damn dirty floormaster!"

--Me in the Earth Temple

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2004, 08:02:21 PM »
The new James Bond villain I'm making up shall be named..... SILVER STICK!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline AManatee2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2004, 08:37:54 PM »
I guess we should have "kinda" seen this coming. What kind of games are the most popular nowadays? The games where you are the bad guy.

Oh well, a game is a game. If it is AWESOME I might THINK of trying it out. But still... ehhhh, the only way this game would be somewhat interesing is if they pushed it back about a year or two like Rare would definately do, and attempt to make it playable.