Author Topic: Kind of funny antecdote  (Read 1640 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Kind of funny antecdote
« on: November 27, 2006, 03:25:03 PM »
OK, so we're always talking about Sony fanboys or Microsoft fanboys working at retail gaming locations... the guy who tells mom that her son couldn't possibly want a Nintendo system or that Sony's system is the absolute best thing since sliced bread. Or badmouthing the DS and hyping UMD movies on the PSP. Well, I was at Best Buy this evening and met that rare breed: The Nintendo fanboy sales-rep.

I mean, I'm a guy who spends his time posting on Nintendo fan sites, and this guy was a zealot to a level that was almost making me a little uncomfortable. Bad-mouthing the PS3 (and doing his silly "I'm a Sony fanboy, look at my $600 Blu-Ray player with no decent games" dance), and talking about how ungodly great the Wii is, and how it's in fact so great that they dare not even put a demo system out for people to try because they'd steal the Wiimotes. And how great Zelda is, and how great Miyamoto is, and how he's "never let me down yet" etc, etc.

I mean, not to knock the guy, he was very knowledgable about the Wii and everything (fat lot of good that does when they're sold out). I just thought it was funny, because for the last 5 years I've been buying Gamecube (and N64 before that) games and listening to sales reps who ask if I've "ever considered an Xbox", and now there's finally a rep touting the Nintendo system, and I don't even have one, and they're sold out.

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
RE: Kind of funny antecdote
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
I remember when I started working at Gamestop they only had the Xbox, PS2, and Hitman 2 lanyards (for my name tag). Needless to say I took the Hitman 2 lanyard.

Offline shrapnel09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »
well teh pix let me tell ya, there are only 23 kinds of people in this world, and they all want in on something... either way there is no such thing as a right or good fanboy... they are all children gathering together for their ultimate doom, I WANT A WIIII!!!!

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
I was in EB a few weeks ago and a Dad and his son came in, they wanted to pick up a new PS2 cause there other one died. The sales rep then started talking about the Wii and how its really fun, cheap and is coming out on Dec 7. This rep wasnt a Nintendo fanboy either, its been a long time since I heard a rep talk Nintendo around here. When the Cube was coming out, every store I went to tried to talk me out of buying it and to get an Xbox instead.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 01:58:48 AM »
No one who waves their arms around demonstratively and says in a mocking voice "Look at me, I'm a PS3 owner, I waited all night to spend 600 bucks on the shiniest new system I could find even though it doesn't have one decent game... aren't I special?" can be evil.

OTOH, the Blu-Ray player might be the PS3's saving grace. I saw a demo Blu Ray player ($800) and it was really impressive. I don't have an HDTV, so it's kind of academic for me, but my brother does and he was saying he could see getting that just because it can play Blu Rays. I played a PS3 demo while I was there as well... really pretty off-road racing. Sure looks next-gen, but it still handles like a PS1 game  and that's a bit off-putting. That and the monstrous load-times.